What Fight Would You Use to Introduce a Friend to MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What Fight Would You Use to Introduce a Friend to MMA?
Next Page »
Webbie
12/20/08 12:57:37AM
Sup all?

As the title states, I'm just curious as to what fight all of you like to show your buddies who have never really watched much or any MMA before. I know there's a ton of great fights and those of you with large collections like myself would probably prefer showing them a ton of different fights, but if you only had time to show them one and you had no choice but to make the choice which fight do you think you would decide on?

I've been stuck in this position on numerous occasions and have chose such fights as Tatsuya Kawajiri versus Takanori Gomi, Matt Hughes versus Georges St. Pierre II, Frankie Edgar versus Tyson Griffin, and Cro Cop versus Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. To this day, however, I still can't really decide on just a single fight that I'd choose.

For me it's always really a toss up between any of those fights. Also, Jens Pulver versus Urijah Faber is another one I go to. There's just too many great ones to choose from.

Thoughts?
Twenty20Dollars
12/20/08 1:03:11AM
Forrest Griffin vs Stephan Bonnar
Playground_Samurai
12/20/08 1:06:09AM
Diaz/Gomi. Very educational and entertaining at the same time.
hotrodttt
12/20/08 1:10:05AM
Rulon Gardner vs Yoshida

No but seriously you would want to show them a fight that entails all aspects of MMA, Striking, Grappling, Wrestling, etc. I'd have to choose Don Frye vs Ken Shamrock, that was a Great Fight with back and forth action, Striking was a back and forth affair and the leg locks at the end was a great grappling stalemate to watch
Jackelope
12/20/08 1:15:12AM
Torres vs. Maeda or Hansen vs. Alvarez for recent fights.

Past fights Griffin vs. Edgar, Guida vs. Huerta, or Huerta vs. Garcia
Pookie
12/20/08 1:17:55AM
Hunt v. Nishijima
hotrodttt
12/20/08 1:19:26AM

Posted by Pookie

Hunt v. Nishijima

Yeah Great Point and Grat Fight, it was a nice stand up War and that Right hook that Hunt landed was nasty
Pookie
12/20/08 1:23:56AM

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by Pookie

Hunt v. Nishijima

Yeah Great Point and Grat Fight, it was a nice stand up War and that Right hook that Hunt landed was nasty

haha still to this day, every time ive mentioned this fight in any post ive received a prop for it within minutes,
hotrodttt
12/20/08 1:25:45AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by Pookie

Hunt v. Nishijima

haha still to this day, every time ive mentioned this fight in any post ive received a prop for it within minutes,

Haha, It's a Great Fight indeed, especially when Nishijima's trunks almost fall off lol
seanfu
12/20/08 3:21:35AM
Hughes Trigg, both. Kinda epic, but as far as the full spectrum being shown off I gotta go for Hellboy vs Alverez. Great fight, also Kawajiri had a fight against some 5-1 guy (I think) that was legendary. Showed the full spectrum, the guy that fought with the brownbelt RVCA trunks.
mentalcase
12/20/08 4:03:52AM
Marcus Davis vs. Paul Taylor ufc 75 great comeback fight with a beautiful armbar finish for the win

Nogueira vs. cro cop

Wolfenstein
12/20/08 4:30:55AM
When I think of introducing a friend to MMA, I usually want to show a well balanced exciting fight that shows all aspects of the game. I'd probably just throw all of that logical nonsense out the window though and show him Don Frye vs Yoshihiro Takayama (Pride 21). Just about any Pride event is a great introduction to MMA.

MikeyG
12/20/08 4:32:53AM
for newbie fans, pretty much pride fights and all around wars usually standup wars

for the somewhat fans, i ask them their favorite fighter, then show them winning in devestating fashion or them getting ko'd or dominated depending on whos their favorite lol
Gipper
12/20/08 7:52:42AM
i'd just tell him to watch the next ufc....it will have it all

Ordep
12/20/08 9:32:26AM
Condit vs. Miura
Sanchez vs. Fitch (just to show them that sometimes ground fighting can be more exciting that stand-up)
warglory
12/20/08 1:26:06PM
GSP vs Penn 1
Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith 1
jiujitsufreak74
12/20/08 1:46:24PM
i would definitely show him either Alvarez vs Kawajiri or Alvarez vs Hansen.

anotehr good choice would be any Paul Taylor fight in the UFC. for example:

Paul Taylor vs Marcus Davis
Paul Taylor vs Chris Lytle
Paul Taylor vs Paul Kelly
scoozna
12/21/08 1:55:27PM
Sobral vs. Heath....na just kidding

Edgar vs. Griffin.
Hendo67
12/21/08 4:44:29PM
Anything Clay Guida

Wanderlei Silva vs Chuck Liddell
Sledge23
12/21/08 10:16:16PM
Anderson silva vs james irvin and then anderson silva vs ryo chonan
The_Ho_Bag
12/21/08 10:47:31PM
Iceman vs wandy
EvenFlow
12/21/08 11:15:44PM
any fight that isnt wand vs chuck...everytime i watch that i scream at the tv for leg kicks, mid kicks, knees and.... strategy!!
StriderXero
12/21/08 11:15:53PM
I got to say

Huerta vs Guida
J-Rock vs War Machine
Cro Cop vs A. Emelianenko
Cro Cop vs Wand 2
Wand vs Rampage 2
Gina Carano vs Julie Kedzie
Rampage vs Arona
A. Silva vs Tony Fryklund
A. Silva vs Chonan
Fedor vs Randleman
Fedor vs Fujita
Hughes vs Trigg 2
EvenFlow
12/21/08 11:17:23PM

Posted by StriderXero

Cro Cop vs Wand 2

cro cop vs wand 1 was way better, and wand got screwed because of the draw system that night
StriderXero
12/21/08 11:21:57PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by StriderXero

Cro Cop vs Wand 2

cro cop vs wand 1 was way better, and wand got screwed because of the draw system that night

I only said Wand vs CroCop 2 cus I was in shock. I never pictured Wand get put to sleep while still standing, before that fight.
Aaronno9
12/24/08 11:31:00AM
Id show em this......

Click click
AchillesHeel
12/24/08 1:08:21PM
Going out on a limb here, I think I would include Seth Petruzzelli vs. Kimbo Slice in a selection of matches for a new viewer. It's a fairly quick fight, and doesn't demand great knowledge of the sport. However, I think it does demonstrate the skill demanded in the sport. Most people have probably never even met someone who could beat Kimbo in a fair fight, and yet he was hamburger meat for a 3rd-tier MMA fighter who normally fights at a lower weight class.
zephead
12/24/08 2:51:44PM
Hackney vs. Son. As Real As It Gets
cloud301336
12/24/08 3:46:25PM
chonan vs silva
urbman
12/26/08 8:38:04PM
As previously mentioned, Griffin vs Bonnar
Pages: [1] 2