Would a fight with Chuck Liddel vs Forest Griffin be more marketable than against Jardine?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Would a fight with Chuck Liddel vs Forest Griffin be more marketable than against Jardine?
a1strait
7/26/07 11:52:26AM
Even thought Forest had lost to Jardine I still believe he has the bigger fan base and would draw a larger crowd to see a bout between him and Chuck rather then Jardine. Shogun would be the best possible fight for Chuck overall but I guess the UFC wants to market him right and not put him in too much danger for his first fight. Who would not want to see Forest vs Chuck in a battle between an Ultimate fighter winner and his coach?
Twenty20Dollars
7/26/07 11:54:56AM
They didnt want to put shogun in a pressure situation, like his debut in the octagon in a main event againest a top LHW.

Of course forrest vs chuck would be big because forrest is a fan favorite.
Taylor8766
7/26/07 12:02:05PM
it would definetly be a closer match-up than against Jardine, I think that Forrest should fight Liddell and Jardine should fight Rua.
LR
7/26/07 12:04:37PM
I think Forrest should fight Jardine and Liddell fight Shogun so Liddell can be shut up. But that's my opinion. I still think Griffin vs. Jardine, Shogun vs, Liddell.
Twenty20Dollars
7/26/07 12:14:21PM
Like I said the reason they didnt make Liddell vs Rua is because they didnt want to put all the pressure on Rua by putting in the main event againest liddell on his debut.

Liddell vs Griffin
Jardine vs Rua would have been a better route maybe, I guess we'll see, im actually fine with both fights as of right now.
LR
7/26/07 12:54:32PM
Yeah, but the question is whether Liddell/Griffin is more marketable. Sure it is, but Liddell/Rua is way more marketable. They could do a huge hype deal showing Shogun's domination in PRIDE and hype the hell out of it. That's the question.

I realize they want Rua to have a soft fight, but marketability wise, it's crap fight. People want to see Rua, but don't think it'll be a good fight.
Piccosaur
7/26/07 1:58:10PM

Posted by LR

Yeah, but the question is whether Liddell/Griffin is more marketable. Sure it is, but Liddell/Rua is way more marketable. They could do a huge hype deal showing Shogun's domination in PRIDE and hype the hell out of it. That's the question.

I realize they want Rua to have a soft fight, but marketability wise, it's crap fight. People want to see Rua, but don't think it'll be a good fight.

But it's a lose-lose situation for the UFC in a fight between Chuck/Shogun. If Chuck loses... that's his second time and no casual fans know Rua so it'll make Chuck look even worse, and if Shogun loses he'll have to go fight a can and take that much longer to be loved by the American fans.
xchickox
7/26/07 2:03:34PM
i think it works the way it is, i think both fights are gonna be good fights, and whatever the results it leads to good routes for the ufc
Mastodon2
7/26/07 3:03:03PM
While Griffin / Liddell is more marketable than Liddell / Jardine, you have to look at it this way, the UFC makes a real wad off Chuck, and Chuck's popularity depends on him being successful. Im sure the UFC big cheeses have noticed what's happening this year, upsets are left right and centre, Griffin is much more likely beat Chuck than Jardine is, so they have given Chuck Jardine as an easy come back fight, with only a small chance that it could go wrong.

The other alternative is Griffin / Jardine (seen it, dont care about a rematch) and Chuck / Shogun, and this doesnt fit with the UFC's plans, they are trying to build Chuck back up again, not blow him out the sport forever!
LR
7/26/07 3:51:45PM

Posted by Piccosaur

Posted by LR

But it's a lose-lose situation for the UFC in a fight between Chuck/Shogun. If Chuck loses... that's his second time and no casual fans know Rua so it'll make Chuck look even worse, and if Shogun loses he'll have to go fight a can and take that much longer to be loved by the American fans.

It may make Chuck look bad, but I say weed out the guys who can't hack it anymore, and if Chuck can't be at the top, he either needs to step into a different weight class, or pick up a different skill to counter these newer guys coming in. I guess I'm biased because I don't like Chuck at all. Now, if Jardine beats him, his legendary status that the people here in the States gave him will be gone to shit.
nubby
7/26/07 3:56:51PM

Posted by LR

Posted by Piccosaur

Posted by LR

It may make Chuck look bad, but I say weed out the guys who can't hack it anymore, and if Chuck can't be at the top, he either needs to step into a different weight class, or pick up a different skill to counter these newer guys coming in. I guess I'm biased because I don't like Chuck at all. Now, if Jardine beats him, his legendary status that the people here in the States gave him will be gone to shit.

Nah it won't go to shit. Liddell has cemented his legacy. He was one of the most dominant light heavies. But he's older now at 38. People are expecting him to start slowing down.
zephead
7/26/07 3:59:32PM

Posted by LR

The problem is, most UFC fans have no idea who Shogun is. By giving him Forrest, the average UFC will be able to see just how dominate a fight Shogun is and then the Chuck/Shogun fight will be a blockbuster. PLus Dana thinks that Shogun is gonna be very marketable in the US.
Rua22
7/26/07 4:06:36PM
I like the Chuck/Jardine match-up for the simple fact that they both look like psycho's from the Arian Nation.
zephead
7/26/07 4:08:13PM

Posted by Rua22

I like the Chuck/Jardine match-up for the simple fact that they both look like psycho's from the Arian Nation.

What is this "Arian Nation" you speak of?
SpiderSilva
7/26/07 5:31:02PM
any fight Chuck is in will draw attention right now come on ESPN just had him in that dumb tournament "Who is Now" He can make any fight big(bringing in revinew) no matter who it is I believe the UFC doesnt want him to lose but he could lose to Jardine with one punch just like most fighters can so Im not gonna write off Chuck untill his skills are deminshed and one loss to Rampage doesnt change my opinion because if Rampage loses I think he could beat Hendo then he would be the champ again just liek that any way the Point is Chuck is Pretty much the Face off MMA to the US even trough ESPN so most people that watch ESPN(witch is a lot) know Chuck and would most likely pay to see him fight ANYONE
zephead
7/26/07 5:34:10PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

any fight Chuck is in will draw attention right now come on ESPN just had him in that dumb tournament "Who is Now" He can make any fight big(bringing in revinew) no matter who it is I believe the UFC doesnt want him to lose but he could lose to Jardine with one punch just like most fighters can so Im not gonna write off Chuck untill his skills are deminshed and one loss to Rampage doesnt change my opinion because if Rampage loses I think he could beat Hendo then he would be the champ again just liek that any way the Point is Chuck is Pretty much the Face off MMA to the US even trough ESPN so most people that watch ESPN(witch is a lot) know Chuck and would most likely pay to see him fight ANYONE

How in the hell did you type all that in one breath???
SpiderSilva
7/26/07 6:02:35PM
any Chuck fight is marketable
the most would be Tito Chuck 3
not because how good the fight would be it just would be vary Marketable all they would have to say is tito was doing okay till he got a little crasy on the punching and bam Tito Chuck 3 #1 in PPV sales history
then in the end Tito loses again