Fight Camp Rankings system changed with one event to go???

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Fight Camp Rankings system changed with one event to go???
Next Page »
emfleek
12/17/08 10:39:49PM
One of the members of my camp brought this to my attention. Apparently, the # of completed events is now part of the criteria in ranking teams. So, now that this change was implemented, Sabotage, Inc. dropped from 1st place to 3rd place.

Why was this change made with one event left in the season? I can't say I disagree with it, but to do it so late in the season doesn't seem right to me.
aaa9erh8er
12/17/08 11:13:37PM
yeah with one event left i would be agravated to if my camp was in first place but the rule or change makes sence. but who knows man i dont know a thing about programing maybe it had to happen now
ncordless
12/17/08 11:27:08PM
Why on earth would someone change the rules with one event left?
npayant
12/17/08 11:35:00PM

Posted by ncordless

Someone must have had it out for others who changed midway through the season.... Sorry, not trying to start anything. That's just all I can come up with for why something like that would be changed WITH ONE EVENT LEFT!!

....and now back to my hole of non-posting...
ncordless
12/17/08 11:41:01PM

Posted by npayant

Posted by ncordless

Someone must have had it out for others who changed midway through the season.... Sorry, not trying to start anything. That's just all I can come up with for why something like that would be changed WITH ONE EVENT LEFT!!

....and now back to my hole of non-posting...

I agree with the changes made, and I will admit that this takes my camp out of contention for the season. It just seems odd to do it with one event left.
Pookie
12/18/08 12:23:10AM
What does that rule change do, in easier to understand terms lol?

beerman77
12/18/08 12:59:06AM
the other day i read that their programer had been gone.. and was due back tody i think.., but thier must still be something wrong with the camp directory .. our camp has 4o something members and it still has us listed as middleweights .. i dont know whats up but i sure they will fix it soon
hippysmacker
12/18/08 1:19:39AM
I will ask the programmer tomorrow. I do know he was fixing problems in the system , but thats all i know. I think this actually helped my camp, but I admit to being curious.
Svartorm
12/18/08 4:01:17AM
To do this with 9 days left in the season and with no warning is utterly ridiculous. Grappling Dummies and Sabotage Inc both were knocked out of contention, despite the fact our teams score higher than everyone elses in every aspect of the game.
backalley101
12/18/08 4:06:29AM
NOT COOL I want to put my two cents in, and I don't think it's cool with one event to go, then change it up. Me, personally, I feel blindsighted.
Wolfenstein
12/18/08 4:15:41AM
I'm probably a little biased (okay maybe a lot) but doesn't it stand within reason that it's more difficult to keep a good average throughout the entire season, and easier to maintain a good average throughout a partial season?

Just my personal opinion, but I think it gives camps that start in the middle of the season an unfair advantage, especially when you start a camp after a few tough events.

I think it's a change that needed to happen before the end to keep with the fairness of the game, but I do feel sympathy for the guys that are kind of blindsided by this.
hippysmacker
12/18/08 5:19:08AM
Ok I am getting what this is all about now. I have to agree that it seems logical & should have been a rule( I actually thought it was taken into account already) , but the timing is confusing. Otherwise , a team could form for the last event, and if it was a relatively easy one could put up one good score, and their avg. would trump everyone else's. Doesn't seem fair, but I undestand teh opposite argumengt as well. Wil be talking to he programmer about it tomorrow, and I wil see about some sort of comprimise if it is neccesary.
DCRage
12/18/08 7:18:08AM
I see what the deal is with it as well, to me it's not a bad rule but I think we should wait until after this season is over to implement this rule so it starts effective next season. That way at least we all have a bit more notice.
Jackelope
12/18/08 8:14:28AM
Yeah, it is strange to do it so late in the season. The reason why was probably deduced correctly- because the programmer was gone for most of the season. Our team benefitted from it, but even in saying that I feel that it is slightly unfair for the people who had thought they were in the lead.

Overall the rule makes perfect sense. Of course if you have a few good events its easier to maintain a high average than over the course of 9 or 10 events.

We'll see how this plays out. I kind of enjoyed the tight race we were in with Sabotage, Inc.
cowcatcher
12/18/08 8:32:15AM
im bracing for the backlash against our camp as we speak(im sure someone is going to call shenanigans, and that sucks). this also sucks for svar and fleeks camps, and thats too bad because everyone in their camps are great guys and have done a great job this season. i hope this gets resolved, id like to win or lose to sabotage without anything hanging over it.
emfleek
12/18/08 10:01:11AM
I agree with everything said in this thread (except for Wolfenstein) and I'm looking forward to the issue being resolved.

The timing is just horrible.
DoTheMMAth
12/18/08 10:42:59AM
This is 100% on me. I haven't been around for the last couple months and this was one of the many items that was on the "to-do" list for a while. I'm back in action and working on the never-ending list of site items now. This was something that I had actually started working on a couple months ago, and just needed to be finished up. In hindsight, yes, this was a stupid time for me to finish it up and I apologize. Perhaps picking up where I left off on going down the list of things to-do on the site wasn't a stroke of brilliance

As for the reasoning behind this change, I got PM's and contacts that brought to my attention that someone could simply form a fight camp right before the last event of the season, get good picks (especially if it was an easier event to pick on, like lots of the Fight Nights are, or if it was an event that more bouts than usual, thus making a higher point total compared to the average event), have everyone make a couple safe bets, and run off with the top camp crown right under the noses of everyone who worked together and rode out the highs and lows all season long. Since creating this site nearly 2 years ago I have learned the hard way, and spent many late nights as a result, that anything that can be abused, most certainly will be abused when it comes to games and community.
DoTheMMAth
12/18/08 10:50:24AM
I also wanted to add that the changes made to the camp ranking procedure also fixed other bugs that were affecting a number of our members.
emfleek
12/18/08 10:51:52AM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

This is 100% on me. I haven't been around for the last couple months and this was one of the many items that was on the "to-do" list for a while. I'm back in action and working on the never-ending list of site items now. This was something that I had actually started working on a couple months ago, and just needed to be finished up. In hindsight, yes, this was a stupid time for me to finish it up and I apologize. Perhaps picking up where I left off on going down the list of things to-do on the site wasn't a stroke of brilliance

As for the reasoning behind this change, I got PM's and contacts that brought to my attention that someone could simply form a fight camp right before the last event of the season, get good picks (especially if it was an easier event to pick on, like lots of the Fight Nights are, or if it was an event that more bouts than usual, thus making a higher point total compared to the average event), have everyone make a couple safe bets, and run off with the top camp crown right under the noses of everyone who worked together and rode out the highs and lows all season long. Since creating this site nearly 2 years ago I have learned the hard way, and spent many late nights as a result, that anything that can be abused, most certainly will be abused when it comes to games and community.

So the change to the system stays in effect for the final 9 days of the season, rather than waiting 10 days until next season to implement it?
D0wnUnd6e6r
12/18/08 11:04:11AM
I would also need something cleared up. why is it that CPT is ranked #2 when we dominate ATT in both the Score (CPT=50.7 , ATT=48.7) and Pick % (CPT=64.2 , ATT=63.5) , the only area they beat us is bankroll (CPT=368.81, ATT=893.05)... The way I understood fight camp rankings does not work at all in this situation. If any mod could please clear this up, would be much appreciated.
DCRage
12/18/08 11:10:23AM
You covered one point I was going to touch on in the CPT-ATT deal, but there's one other detail I see that could be working against you here-camp size. Theirs: 137.9. Yours: 72.6. Could be a case where quantity counts just as much as quality.
D0wnUnd6e6r
12/18/08 11:19:03AM

Posted by DCRage

You covered one point I was going to touch on in the CPT-ATT deal, but there's one other detail I see that could be working against you here-camp size. Theirs: 137.9. Yours: 72.6. Could be a case where quantity counts just as much as quality.

Well i understand that, but it was never a factor before last event cause we were behind in the bankroll for the last 3 or 4 events and still remaining in the #1 spot. The only stats that changed are a few pts on the score and pick %, we were basically up 2-1 all season long, and in 1st place.
DoTheMMAth
12/18/08 11:21:53AM
Also wanted to point out that had this not been changed before the final event, and someone had ninja'd a camp crown as I had described that there would also be an uproar. Either way I am paying for my lack of imagination when first creating a fight camp ranking system.
emfleek
12/18/08 11:33:02AM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Also wanted to point out that had this not been changed before the final event, and someone had ninja'd a camp crown as I had described that there would also be an uproar.

Agreed. I understand that it's going to make things better in the long run. It's just kind of a kick in the junk to some of us. We'll get over it, though.

Thanks for the explanation.
D0wnUnd6e6r
12/18/08 12:02:48PM
Edit: Thanks for the explanations
jiujitsufreak74
12/18/08 2:37:43PM

Posted by Svartorm

To do this with 9 days left in the season and with no warning is utterly ridiculous. Grappling Dummies and Sabotage Inc both were knocked out of contention, despite the fact our teams score higher than everyone elses in every aspect of the game.

well that's not necessarily true. we have a higher points per event and pick percentage than sabotage inc, but they have us covered pretty handily in terms of wagers.

both sides have solid arguments, in fact they are so good that i really don't know where i stand on this.
seanmcal2
12/18/08 2:47:23PM
I agree that a change needed to be made, but I think it is tough to do it so late in the season when we were #1. I understand that if someone just created a team for the last event that they could slide under everyone's radar and win it, and that would clearly not be fair. But man it's rough to have it with only one event left, we're almost out of contention.

Guess I gotta wager all my money on this one in a last ditch attempt lol.
telnights
12/18/08 4:48:37PM
I understand and agree the changes needed to be made but the timing is very poor. You don't change the rules of the game with just one event left. What would have been a much better fix would be to lock fight camp creation till after the end of the season then make the changes to fix the issue. That would cause a lot less problems and wouldn't screw over some of the teams that these changes are a few days before the end of the season.
Svartorm
12/18/08 4:51:08PM
Exactly. You already lock the teams two days before and two days after, and extending that wouldn't have been an issue.
EvenFlow
12/18/08 6:47:01PM

Posted by Svartorm

Exactly. You already lock the teams two days before and two days after, and extending that wouldn't have been an issue.

agreed, this would solve the problem easily and everyone is happy.
Pages: [1] 2