Fickle Fans and Fellow Fighters Turn on Forrest Griffin

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fickle Fans and Fellow Fighters Turn on Forrest Griffin
« Previous Page
mk1630
8/11/09 3:04:47AM
Props to you sir. Amazes me how people are sometimes
mentalcase
8/11/09 3:19:43AM
i could have saved forest from all this heart ache by telling him not to take the fight, the moment i heard they are putting it together i was scratching my head thinking why dose Dana want to see his poster boy get destroyed?

Shadymlm
8/11/09 3:55:56AM

Wtf? Thiago....silva? The guy who just got KO'd by machida? What has he done to warrant a top 5 spot? Thats right...nothing. Maybe he's top 10, maybe. No hate on him he's just not top 5. And he didnt beat " the real" Shogun?? Seriously? If you know MMA then you know almost every fighter fights under 100 %. Its just the way it is. Forrest dominated him for 3 whole rounds and then added insult to injury and made him tap in the dying seconds of the fight. And his fight with Rampage has been discussed forever. Guess what? It doesnt matter what you or I think. It matters what the judges thought. And they thought he won. So he beat the former #1 in quinton for the belt, and beat the number one contender in Shogun, who could end up being #1 if he beats Machida. Thats pretty damn impressive and there is no way he does not deserve a top 10 spot. He lost to one of the most dangerous strikers in the world. It happens. You can think hes overrated if you;d like, but dont make dumb*** comments like his wins are questionable or he fought the fake shogun. Cuz the real one was in hiding right? Whats questionable was his loss against Tito. Check that fight out again if youd like.

Now now now don't go saying check the Tito fight... That's what the judges decided and they know how to score a fight as you pointed out in your argument about the Rampage fight. I agree with whoever it was that posted that Griffin will just be the next Jardine. Both of whom are overrated and Thiago will do what Forrest couldn't and beat the hell out of Jardine. If you'd like I'll do a 3 month AV bet on that one.

Yeah Thiago got beat by Machida who happens to be the #1 LHW and undefeated... Your point. Forrest got beat by a MW, granted he's the best P4P but nonetheless he's a MW and if forrest is as great as the hype he shouldn't have gotten embarrassed so badly.

If Forrest is lucky enough to earn a rematch with Shogun or Rampage it doesn't make it past the 2nd round. Forrest got lucky and IMO the luck of the Irish has just run out!
EliasG
8/11/09 10:10:32AM
He was never "the greatest" lt. heavy. I didn't think he won his fight against Rampage but he did work hard. But people have to remember he was coming off of a KO at the hands of Rashad. If you just want to use fighters and crumple them and throw them out at the end of the day, you take a guy who just got KO'd and put him up against a guy who can KO him. Once you've been concussed it messes with your head and physically you are more likely to get KO'd again in the next bout. This is why good management usually gives a fighter a few 'gimmes' which challenge them but allow them to get some confidence and strength back. It was a bit unfair to throw Forest in there after his last loss.

We always knew he could get KO'd. He got KO'd by Jardine AND Rashad so it's not a surprise. I didn't understand why an aggressive fighter was being put in with a counterpuncher (made to order) in the first place. Maybe if you put in a more POWERFUL aggressive fighter you would have had a different outcome but Forest has no pop.

That said, I wish Forest well. Truth is, he's a really funny writer so he should keep writing and do commentating as well. He has to flip his celebrity cuz these MMA fans love you one second and hate you the next---and so does MMA management.
mk1630
8/11/09 12:20:11PM

Posted by Shadymlm

Wtf? Thiago....silva? The guy who just got KO'd by machida? What has he done to warrant a top 5 spot? Thats right...nothing. Maybe he's top 10, maybe. No hate on him he's just not top 5. And he didnt beat " the real" Shogun?? Seriously? If you know MMA then you know almost every fighter fights under 100 %. Its just the way it is. Forrest dominated him for 3 whole rounds and then added insult to injury and made him tap in the dying seconds of the fight. And his fight with Rampage has been discussed forever. Guess what? It doesnt matter what you or I think. It matters what the judges thought. And they thought he won. So he beat the former #1 in quinton for the belt, and beat the number one contender in Shogun, who could end up being #1 if he beats Machida. Thats pretty damn impressive and there is no way he does not deserve a top 10 spot. He lost to one of the most dangerous strikers in the world. It happens. You can think hes overrated if you;d like, but dont make dumb*** comments like his wins are questionable or he fought the fake shogun. Cuz the real one was in hiding right? Whats questionable was his loss against Tito. Check that fight out again if youd like.

Now now now don't go saying check the Tito fight... That's what the judges decided and they know how to score a fight as you pointed out in your argument about the Rampage fight. I agree with whoever it was that posted that Griffin will just be the next Jardine. Both of whom are overrated and Thiago will do what Forrest couldn't and beat the hell out of Jardine. If you'd like I'll do a 3 month AV bet on that one.

Yeah Thiago got beat by Machida who happens to be the #1 LHW and undefeated... Your point. Forrest got beat by a MW, granted he's the best P4P but nonetheless he's a MW and if forrest is as great as the hype he shouldn't have gotten embarrassed so badly.

If Forrest is lucky enough to earn a rematch with Shogun or Rampage it doesn't make it past the 2nd round. Forrest got lucky and IMO the luck of the Irish has just run out!

My point is Thiago has never beaten or even faced anybody even close to the top 10, let alone top 5. Yes his victories have been impressive, but KOing James Irvin or Houston Alexander does not make you a top 5 fighter. Ill give him top 20...maybe top 15. Forrest beat 2 former number 1's, who were ranked by many , if not all the best at the time of the fights. Yes he lost to Anderson (IMO #1 p4p) and Rashad (Another top 10 if not 5) and hell even Jardine(top 10 IMO) But after his loss to Keith he came back and won 3 in a row, over the 2 previously mentioned #1 fighters in the division. What im saying is at least Forrest has fought and beaten fighters inside the best in the division, something Thiago has not done
mrsmiley
8/11/09 3:44:39PM
I really don't see why people would be counting Forrest out.
It's bizarre to me.
Yeah he lost in bad fashion.
But it was to Anderson f#(%ing Silva!!!

A good portion of MMA fighters today couldn't stand and strike with him.
And people want to count Griffin out because he ended up being another victim of the Spider?

whardin19
8/11/09 5:28:17PM
What about Rampages comments? That pretty shady, not sure Rampage would fare any better against the Spider.
Boo_Radley21
8/11/09 5:38:55PM
This is ridiculous. Anderson hasn't lost in the UFC. He beat the hell out of Henderson, Franklin twice... if you ask me those guys arent over rated, Forrest just lost to a better guy, his career is far from over.
pv3Hpv3p
8/12/09 2:50:19PM
I think if Forrest came back from the Jardine KO without problem, he should be just fine after this as well... he just needs to lick his wounds and go back to the drawing board, he'll be fine and no one will be thinking twice about it after the next big fight, IMO
Pages: 1 [2]