FERTITTAS BUY PRIDE!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » FERTITTAS BUY PRIDE!
tomp6581
3/26/07 7:05:20AM
Trapt1nw0nder
3/26/07 7:13:59AM

Finally!.......i have been waking up each day and running to my PC hoping to see the this thread,and the day finally came!!

EDIT....I still dont totally believe it though....im gonna wait till the news spreads more thoughout the day and see what happens.....seems too good to be true

What happens to "Jerry" Millen? i hope they throw his ass to the curb!
FortySixBelow
3/26/07 7:33:09AM
This is going to very very interesting...

I hope i dont have my hopes set too high. But the possibilities from this are endless...
Trapt1nw0nder
3/26/07 7:46:20AM
lol...i actually checked my calender to make sure it wasn'r April Fools today..
tomp6581
3/26/07 8:17:51AM
I think this is great! (if it is true)...........

Trapt1nw0nder - we might actually see liddell and Fedor fight....if so ill have a wager with you.......and also we can delete THAT post which refuses to end!!!!

I feel like a little kid on christmas day!

Mayo
3/26/07 10:06:11AM
Awesome! The article says there will be an official press conference tomorrow. And by the way I'm proud of that thread that refuses to end!
Ydoc
3/26/07 10:17:37AM
Me earlier this month:

It'd be really cool if they kept Pride like another league... then at the end of the year all the champions of each org fight each other. The loser would have his belt put into a tourney to crown a new champ at that weight (which the loser can enter) and the winner gets a ring or something. You could fill the rest of the card with heated rivalries. The only problem with all this is how many matches some fighters have in a year... I think 5 should be the new average to make this exciting.

And that article:

The new company that Pride will operate under apparently will not be run by UFC or Zuffa, but will be it’s own entity owned by the Fertittas. Thus Pride and the UFC being run separately. But, it is being reported that the two promotions will do a joint super show once a year. SportsHochi reports that Pride 34 on 4/8 will be the last Pride show run by DSE.

Glad they took my idea.
BloodandTears
3/26/07 10:55:33AM
I saw that too ydoc, on the home page.. It is the best idea.. There was a few people who did'nt want to see ufc buy pride, and there was some of us who did want to see ufc buy pride.. A pride/ufc supershow is going to make everyone happy. I hope they dont sway from this idea.. Win Win situation imo.
BloodandTears
3/26/07 10:56:46AM

Posted by tomp6581

Trapt1nw0nder - we might actually see liddell and Fedor fight....if so ill have a wager with you.......and also we can delete THAT post which refuses to end!!!!

Me to Thomp, a kid on x-mas day!!! Thanks for the info!
wkm311
3/26/07 11:31:48AM

Posted by tomp6581

I want to see Chuck vs Shogun first, that would be one hell of a fight as well...
Mayo
3/26/07 12:24:03PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

What happens to "Jerry" Millen? i hope they throw his ass to the curb!

They should put Jerry Millen in the ring with Chuck, same way Dana and Tito were going to do. Or hell just let Jerry fill in for the noshow Tito and let Dana and Jerry go at it!
tomp6581
3/26/07 12:57:11PM

Posted by BloodandTears

Posted by tomp6581

No Problem! Just imagine if they decided to do Pride/UFC super tournaments, where the top 8 of any given weight division fight for a title!!! the LHW one would be fantasic....Chuck, Wandy, Shogun, Arona, Lil Nog, Hendo, Jackson and Ortiz!!!

mrblonde55
3/26/07 1:04:46PM
I can't wait for these "Super Shows" they are talking about. Imagine Henderson v. Silva or Franklin, Shogun or Wand v. Chuck, Fedor Cro-Cop rematch, Sherk v. Gomi... I may just shit my pants thinking about it!!
Mayo
3/26/07 1:05:16PM
I think Shogun and Chuck will happen sooner than we think....
(in case you missed this one....)

We learned that Chute Boxe's bomber "Shogun" Rua has signed a new four-fight deal with PRIDE that includes an interesting twist: two fights in the PRIDE ring and two fights inside the UFC ‘s Octagon.
His two fights with PRIDE are going to be held this year, with one fight secure for the end of the year in PRIDE New Year's Eve Otoko Matsuri extravaganza.

Link to article
BloodandTears
3/26/07 1:17:34PM

Posted by tomp6581

Posted by BloodandTears

Posted by tomp6581

No Problem! Just imagine if they decided to do Pride/UFC super tournaments, where the top 8 of any given weight division fight for a title!!! the LHW one would be fantasic....Chuck, Wandy, Shogun, Arona, Lil Nog, Hendo, Jackson and Ortiz!!!

From how I read it they are planning on doing the super tourneys. LHW and HW both. Kids on x-mas day man,,,
shackle
3/26/07 1:37:38PM
Not sure if this is true but....
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=7068

Dana says that it's not a fact, and very unlikely as far as he knows...

BUT someone had to buy them with all the big rumors going around, cause these sites aren't know for posting too many rumors or something they haven't confirmed as official news.
loller90278
3/26/07 3:08:38PM
i think dana white and jerry millen were kept out of the loop on purpose.

i'm not too excited, not too bummed.

after pride 34, we'll see what is going to happen.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/26/07 4:41:48PM
Man I hope Sherk, and BJ are able to enter the LWGP. that would be so fooking great
Lay_N_Pray
3/26/07 7:33:25PM
Obviously it is very early but it sounds like they are going about this the right way. Keep the orgs seperate and have one supershow a year.

That way they maximize profits while keeping dream matches in tact and not wasting them in the first three months.
THE_AXE_MURDERER
3/26/07 9:57:24PM
Now Gomi can prove once again hes the number one lightweight in the world when he beats Sherk and Penn.Mark my words Gomi will beat em!
Ultimate_fighter
3/26/07 11:22:34PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
O My GOD!!!!!

So does the UFC now get Pride's Fighters or what. So they can do trades of fighters back and forth so all the dream matchups could acually happen!
Gladiator
3/26/07 11:33:42PM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

O My GOD!!!!!

So does the UFC now get Pride's Fighters or what. So they can do trades of fighters back and forth so all the dream matchups could acually happen!

i was looking at ur rankings and im actually pretty shocked you're excited about this. sounds like a great idea to hold an once a year pride vs ufc type event, kinda like an mma superbowl. but know i dont think they will trade fighters but we may still get to see some dream matchups:

mirko vs fedor 2
shogun vs iceman
Filho vs silva
AchillesHeel
3/27/07 11:00:40AM
Reading various coverage of the press conference, it sounds to me like it's going to shake out like this:

- Pride will not be run by Zuffa LLC or Dana White. The Fertittas have formed a new company specifically for the purpose of operating Pride Fighting Championships. This means that the business relationship between the UFC and Pride is even further removed than that of the UFC and WEC, who are both owned by Zuffa.

- Sakakibara will be stepping down, but many, if not all, of the staff of DSE will be re-hired as employees of the new management company.

- Pride will continue to manage its own stable of fighters. Shogun Rua just signed a four-fight contract, exclusively with Pride, and Rampage Jackson just signed a four-fight contract, exclusively with the UFC.

- Both Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta want to create an annual "World Series of MMA."

- Pride will continue to produce events hosted in the United States, perhaps as many as 4 a year.

- There's been no mention of Pride's contract with Fox Sports Network. Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume that Pride will continue their relationship with FSN and will have nothing to do with SPIKE TV.
skiba97
3/27/07 11:16:08AM
I thought shoguns 4 fight contract was 2 fights for each org?
warglory
3/27/07 12:17:27PM

Posted by skiba97

I thought shoguns 4 fight contract was 2 fights for each org?

Yeah this is what I thought
AchillesHeel
3/27/07 12:56:12PM
MMA Weekly - Shogun signs new contract with Pride

"There has been some speculation that the new contract is structured as two fights for Pride FC and two fights for the Ultimate Fighting Championship. That appears to be information that may have been jumbled because of the recent swirl of controversy surrounding the possible sale of Pride FC to Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta, whose company Zuffa LLC owns the UFC."

brodieros
3/27/07 1:01:59PM
it was announced on a few of the mma sites hat he decided to stick with a 4 fight contract with pride.
Shogun link
(Bottom of page)
skiba97
3/27/07 1:18:15PM
ah right, my bad. now that the fertittas have bought pride, will they beable to make the guys with exclusive pride contracts fight in the ufc or vice versa.