Fertittas bought Japanese martial arts business to kill it

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fertittas bought Japanese martial arts business to kill it
snakeplissken
4/16/08 11:53:02AM

It was touted to be a mixed martial arts merger like that of the National Football League and American Football League. Japan-based Pride fighting was brought under the same ownership as the Ultimate Fighting Championship a year ago, which was supposed to lead to uniform rules and a big step in the evolution of a fledgling sport.

But what was dubbed by some as the pending "Super Bowl of Mixed Martial Arts" never happened. Now the biggest matchup appears to be scheduled for a federal courtroom.

ARTICLE

Not being funny, but they bought so they can do what they please with it. As much as I might think them mad for breaking up the company when they could have turned it into UFC Japan or something and missing a great opportunity. At the end of the day it's their money.
Jackelope
4/16/08 1:12:04PM

Posted by snakeplissken

It was touted to be a mixed martial arts merger like that of the National Football League and American Football League. Japan-based Pride fighting was brought under the same ownership as the Ultimate Fighting Championship a year ago, which was supposed to lead to uniform rules and a big step in the evolution of a fledgling sport.

But what was dubbed by some as the pending "Super Bowl of Mixed Martial Arts" never happened. Now the biggest matchup appears to be scheduled for a federal courtroom.

ARTICLE

Not being funny, but they bought so they can do what they please with it. As much as I might think them mad for breaking up the company when they could have turned it into UFC Japan or something and missing a great opportunity. At the end of the day it's their money.

Sounds like somebody finally turned Japanese business politics back on them. They're just unhappy that a foreigner did it to them, I'm sure.

Although I do think that being dishonorable about the whole business transaction is a slimey thing for the fertittas to do. That's just my selfishness speaking because I wanted to see some of the great matchups, though
Gladiator
4/16/08 2:10:19PM
I was under the impression that Pride was pretty much dead when they got it.
Darnok
4/16/08 3:00:52PM

Posted by Gladiator

I was under the impression that Pride was pretty much dead when they got it.

And the Japanese do it to America all the time they come over buy up big corporations and run them into the ground and then transfer the product back home to run it from there.
keith-hackney1
4/16/08 3:13:28PM
i thought they bought pride to get the remaining contacts that they had like shogun and vanderlei ???
wrona666
4/16/08 4:52:41PM
Business is Business, but im pretty sure Pride was going under eigther way....
hippysmacker
4/16/08 5:57:41PM
Gee, the Fertittas lawsuit says the exact opposite. No offense, and I'm not saying I trust everything the Fertittas say, but its been well documented that Sakikabara lied about the contracts he had locked up. Zuffa does seem a little incompetent for not doign their due diligence though. It's completely illogical that Zuffa would have wanted Pride to close., They thought they could get a TV deal in Japan, becuase unlike Sakikabara, they had no mob ties. Even Josh Gross and Jeff Sherwood, who aren't Zuffa fans, admit their problem was arrogance. Thinking that the Japanese people would want them to basically make Pride UFC Japan, and that they would be successful in doing so ,probably wasn't their wisest choice. The fans there like freak shows, the Pride rules, the ring, and the whole warrior spirit thing. The UFC's style just seems to go better with N. American fans IMO. Each to it's own, both had some good stuff. Dream seems to be using a lot of the same stuff now, and some of the guys running it are the guys Zuffa was supposed to have running Pride for them. So I'm guessing Sakikabara probably won't get any more dough, and The UFC will probably never be big in Japan.