Females in the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Females in the UFC
POLL: Should the UFC pursue a female division?
Yes 15% (9)
Not now, but eventually 36% (21)
Never 49% (29)
clownbaby
9/29/09 8:16:36PM
Should the UFC pursue a female division?
bojangalz
9/29/09 8:30:47PM
In short- not for a long, long time. I'd rather they focus their efforts in better places.

They need to establishe the 145, 135, and 125 divisions in the UFC first. And none of that is even going to start until after the WEC's cable deal with VS. is up.

They've got bigger things on the table first.

postman
9/29/09 9:31:14PM
Very little depth when it comes to woman fighting I see no reason. In the nicest way I can put it, Its a side show. A gimmick to draw general public to the sport. It work but now Gina lost and no matter how brutal she is the average guy dosn't want to see cyborg. I watched Gina fight 2 times at the bar and no less then tem times did I hear lines like rip her shirt off, or just waitin for the nip slip.
scobac
9/29/09 10:24:49PM

Posted by postman

Very little depth when it comes to woman fighting I see no reason. In the nicest way I can put it, Its a side show. A gimmick to draw general public to the sport. It work but now Gina lost and no matter how brutal she is the average guy dosn't want to see cyborg. I watched Gina fight 2 times at the bar and no less then tem times did I hear lines like rip her shirt off, or just waitin for the nip slip.

I dont see much of a future at all in womens mma, I have all the respect in the world for them training and pursuing it but I think the bottom line is womens pro sports in this country just dont fly with the average or hardcore sports fan for that matter.

WNBA? Womens boxing? I think it's fine it's promoted a little now but when this sport reaches paydirt (it's peak to the public) there will be almost no interest in Womens MMA, I think it will exsist but not on a grand scale.
PABLOMAFIOSO
9/30/09 2:49:56AM
Not being disrespectful but I have no interest in seeing women compete at most sports. The UFC does not need a womens division. There may be talented fighters out there but I don't think there is a need for the UFC to pick them up.
Sinister
9/30/09 1:38:58PM
I'm all for women's MMA but I never see it being in the UFC. At first I thought, they could implement a women's division into WEC with the lighter weight classes but with WEC potentially merging in, I think UFC no longer had an interest in pursuing a women's division.
Sinister
9/30/09 1:41:43PM

Posted by PABLOMAFIOSO

Not being disrespectful but I have no interest in seeing women compete at most sports. The UFC does not need a womens division. There may be talented fighters out there but I don't think there is a need for the UFC to pick them up.

I think thats another reaosn. Most fans of the UFC are men and to a point, men either aren't interested in seeing women fight or think it's wrong for them to fight.
To a point, everyone wanted to see Santos/ Carano but that was the single biggest womens MMA fight in history and it didn;t produce crazy numbers.
JimiMak
10/1/09 5:57:47PM
I love women's MMA. BUT it will never come to UFC. If we want to see it there's always things like SmackGirl and tapes of the all women's events held by Bodog and Hook n Shoot.
CanadianCripplr
10/1/09 6:02:13PM
I dont think its worth doing. Are they gonna throw some of the ring girls in there for competition? I dont watch womens hockey , LPGA or the WNBA. I dont want to watch womens MMA.
We going to lose another match off the ppv to put a womens match on the card? We already miss some fights Id like to see.
Who knows, in 10 years there might be lots of women trained enough to make it worth watching, but not now.
Truth
10/1/09 6:25:33PM
UFC already has all the girls they need..... Called ring girls
MadNuke
10/2/09 5:44:08PM
Mad sexism in this thread...
JimiMak
10/2/09 5:52:52PM

Posted by MadNuke

Tell me about it
Falcons84
10/3/09 11:03:59PM
brining girls into the UFC would make the UFC worse for me. I dont like watching girls fight. Something just seems wrong about it. So if thry ever do bring girls in the UFC i would never watch those matches which means they would just use up space for me.
AchillesHeel
10/4/09 2:30:23PM

Posted by MadNuke

Happens every time.

I voted "not now, but eventually." My feeling is that very few of the people who dislike women's MMA would avoid watching a fight card that included women. Comparisons to the WNBA or women's soccer aren't entirely valid, for the reason that the women's leagues don't share events with the men. In that respect, women's tennis might be a better analogy, but even that's not perfect.

However, I don't think women's MMA offers the UFC anything right now. Gina Carano is probably the only woman with any promotional value (and I think Dana White once admitted that a single fight featuring Carano, perhaps on a WEC card, wasn't a totally crazy idea), but I think a women's fight would have to exceed, not just match, the drawing power of another fight that could be put together.

So if people who dislike watching women would simply go get a beer, but would watch (and, more importantly, pay for) the rest of a card, and the women's fight would draw some viewers who would otherwise not pay, then we'll see a women's fight here and there. I don't see it happening any time soon, but I think it's bound to, eventually.
mentalcase
10/4/09 11:42:35PM
I'm not sexist but i would never want to see women in the UFC and luckily the Dana has the same opinion
bigbubbano23
10/5/09 1:35:46AM
the only females i want in the ufc are the ring girls, it's not that female fighters are not talented, itr just dosn't seem right for the ufc. gina keep on being hot
AchillesHeel
10/5/09 10:25:46AM

Posted by mentalcase

I'm not sexist but[...]

roadking95th
10/6/09 5:03:46PM
I guess I will be called sexist, but I look at it as reality.

When I watch a sporting event, I want to be "wowed" by something that is well beyond the average abilities. Simply put, men are better athletes. It is how we are built.

Granted there are plenty of females way more athletic than I, but when compared to the cream of the crop, they aren't even close.

In the women's events that out-draw men's, there are many athletic attributes, but also grace and beauty that MMA doesn't lend itself to.
Rush
10/6/09 10:58:53PM
I'm not interested in watching women in MMA
AchillesHeel
10/7/09 12:37:28PM

Posted by roadking95th

I guess I will be called sexist[...]

The question, to me, is whether you understand why.

Posted by roadking95th]

When I watch a sporting event, I want to be "wowed" by something that is well beyond the average abilities.

No problem with that. However...

Posted by roadking95th]

Simply put, men are better athletes. It is how we are built.

This is where you go off the rails. If you had simply said "I prefer to watch only the best athletes", you wouldn't have said anything sexist. The qualification of gender, where gender isn't an inherently relevant trait, makes whatever you subsequently say sexist, whether you mean it that way or not, and whether what you claim is true or not.

So the question isn't whether men, as a group, are superior athletes to women, as a group. Nor is the question whether the best female athlete can hang with the best male athlete. The question really is, "If a fighter met all relevant qualifications" - in your case, possessing well-above-average ability - "would you watch them compete?" Now imagine if someone answered, "Not if they prefer pancakes over waffles." We'd all give them this icon:
roadking95th
10/7/09 3:25:21PM
So, even if one's statement is the God's honest truth, it is still sexist? Wow, one can't win can they?

OK, here is my revised statement.

"I prefer to watch events and contests that involve participants of superior athletism, power, skill, genuis, and/or tenacity."

However, I do believe that leaves little or much interpretation as to how I ultimately view the question.

Back to your points. Honest here, not trying to stir anything up. Isn't the question go to inherently require a sexist response. Particularly, when I give my reason and then quantify WHY I don't want to watch female MMA?

I do disagree with the whole pancake reference. Pancakes and waffles have nothing to do with the reasons stated. Being female does.
JimiMak
10/7/09 4:31:21PM
So you just don't even get it. ::facepalm::
AchillesHeel
10/7/09 4:52:31PM

Posted by roadking95th

So, even if one's statement is the God's honest truth, it is still sexist? Wow, one can't win can they?

If the fact that you're applying shouldn't be applied for one reason or another, it doesn't matter whether it's true. For instance, what if a town with a lot of beaches decided to make a rule to not hire any White people as lifeguards, because Whites are more prone to getting sunburned than Black people?

Posted by roadking95th

OK, here is my revised statement.

"I prefer to watch events and contests that involve participants of superior athletism, power, skill, genuis, and/or tenacity."

Perfect. No mention of the athlete's favorite television shows, shoe size, or any other irrelevant traits. If it so happens that no women meet your criterion (or no Norwegians, or no Yankees fans, or whatever), then so be it. And maybe some of them will someday, you're not prejudging them.

Posted by roadking95th

Back to your points. Honest here, not trying to stir anything up. Isn't the question go to inherently require a sexist response.

Do you mean the OP's question? I see what you're getting at, but no, not exactly. I don't think the UFC should open a women's division right now, and my reason is almost the same as yours: At the moment, there aren't enough women to make a UFC-quality division and bring more fans to the events. As a business decision, I don't think the UFC has much to gain by promoting women's fights yet. I would say the same thing if someone asked whether the UFC should open a men's flyweight or super-heavyweight division.

However, my opinion is predicated on the fact that we segregate fighters by gender, and without going into that subject in great detail, I think there's something to be said for maintaining that separation. You could make an argument that that's sexist too, but that's a whole other lengthy discussion. And, for the most part, no one objects to keeping athletic competition gender-segregated.

Posted by roadking95th

I do disagree with the whole pancake reference. Pancakes and waffles have nothing to do with the reasons stated. Being female does.

How? Women can be superior athletes. As a group, men possess more strength, and have a higher ceiling for strength (that is, the strongest man is going to be stronger than the strongest woman). Neither fact means that women couldn't become UFC-quality fighters, especially since we're talking about women fighting other women (I assume that's what the OP had in mind).