Female fighters on EliteXC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Female fighters on EliteXC
NinjaCyborg
5/25/08 9:37:03PM
Woman competing in MMA is not a very popular thing yet. The UFC does not have a Womens division and neither did Pride.
How does everyone feel about Women fighting in MMA competition?

I personally think it's sexy and interesting. Women should be allowed to fight just as much as Men if they want.

Opinions?
tdietel01
5/25/08 9:42:55PM
i hate to sound sexist, cause im not. but i think there is no place in mainstream mma for female fighters. i think it is too slow and the fights arent even a little interesting. i would compare it to olympic hockey.... why would you want to watch the women when the game is much faster and interesting when the men are playing.
The_Ho_Bag
5/25/08 10:51:51PM
ID love to see womens MMA =]

but its not popular among the women i guess. and there are probably not enough?
Jipper
5/26/08 2:28:07AM
If EliteXC are serious about adding women's MMA they'll sign Tara LaRosa who is by far the best female fighter of any division. If they don't sign her their just looking for Gina Carano's (not knocking her ability).

This weeks InsideMMA question is,
"If EliteXC holds an all women's MMA card would you watch?"
Vote for it below. Hope you guys aren't sexist and vote YES.
http://www.MMAJunkie.com
DCRage
5/26/08 8:09:17AM
I saw that poll yesterday and of course I voted yes. It's gaining in popularity, albeit rather slowly which might be the best way to go. Slow but steady wins the race.
AchillesHeel
5/26/08 10:37:00AM

Posted by tdietel01

i hate to sound sexist, cause im not. but i think there is no place in mainstream mma for female fighters. i think it is too slow and the fights arent even a little interesting. i would compare it to olympic hockey.... why would you want to watch the women when the game is much faster and interesting when the men are playing.

You've failed at not being sexist.

Posted by Jipper

If EliteXC are serious about adding women's MMA they'll sign Tara LaRosa

With BodogFight folding up its tents, I guess she must be a free agent.
Jackelope
5/26/08 11:28:08AM
I love watching women's MMA, but I don't think it will ever take hold on a big level. There's just too many meathead sexist men that are fans of MMA for it to ever gain a foothold. Just like women's boxing. There will be phenomenal fighters, but they will never have the respect they deserve because they're women. That's just the facts
Poohbah
5/26/08 7:26:47PM
Is it wrong to always root for the hotter one?
jiujitsufreak74
5/26/08 8:19:48PM
i don't care for it. i don't think tdietel01 came off as a sexist as i agree with him and i don't think that i am a sexist. maybe i am, maybe i'm not...i just don't like watching women's sports because i find them uninteresting. i can honestly say i only know of 3 women MMA fighters and i am not thrilled that i have to pick women's fights because i am not as educated on them. i mean don't get me wrong there are great fighters that are women but i just don't care for it.
NinjaCyborg
5/28/08 1:15:28AM

Posted by Poohbah

Is it wrong to always root for the hotter one?

No, as long as you don't wager on the hotter one.
It's common knowledge that the uglier a fighter is, the better they fight!!
Aaronno9
5/28/08 1:31:09AM
I just dont like the idea. Watching girls fight just doesn't do anything for me, i mean, im not particularly a believer in stuff like women should be in the kitchen or doing the washing (although from experience id say they are better at these type of things, and god didnt give them the ability to be better at it for nothing) but i just dont like seeing them fight.
AchillesHeel
5/28/08 7:40:42AM

Posted by NinjaCyborg

It's common knowledge that the uglier a fighter is, the better they fight!!

You haven't seen Gina Carano or Kaitlin Young, have you?

Posted by AchillesHeel

With BodogFight folding up its tents, I guess she must be a free agent.

I read a rumor somewhere that Tara Larosa could fight the winner of Carano-Young for the women's title. Could just be wishful thinking...
DCRage
5/28/08 7:55:25AM
Gary's been talking about the Carano-Young winner being in a fight to crown the first EXC Women's Champion, so that rumor has a good chance of being legit.
fullerene
5/28/08 4:26:07PM
I support it as I think most people would who've trained at the same gym as women who take their fighting seriously (I've seen two women like this). They work out just as hard, have the same drive, have the same or better technique and are looking for the same validation when they fight as men. Why deny them that? And women at that level are probably already getting most of their sparring from men (the two I knew had to do almost 100% this way) so the argument that they aren't tough enough for the sport like men are doesn't hold water with me.

I can understand people who simply don't like seeing girls get hit...I can even understand people who don't like seeing guys get hit. But I hope even those types of people can appreciate the dedication to the sport than high level fighters have and support their efforts to make a career out of it if they choose.
holt8081
5/29/08 11:21:35PM
they fight harder then most men.