Felix Baumgartner's Live Jump - 23 mile free fall (*Jump now complete*)

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Felix Baumgartner's Live Jump - 23 mile free fall (*Jump now complete*)
grappler0000
10/14/12 11:35:03AM
For anyone that was watching the other day when the launch was cancelled due to wind, it's on. The capsule was just launched, so it's officially a go. I believe they said it will take a few hours to get to altitude. If you're not familiar, Felix will be attempting a 23 mile sky dive, while being the first person to break the sound barrier in free fall.

Live Broadcast

Poor_Franklin
10/14/12 12:02:40PM
holy shit this is so cool! he's currently at 38,000 feet.
kopower
10/14/12 12:31:48PM
Cool stuff. Hopefully they can figure out the heat in his helmet so he can jump. 61,000 ft and climbing
scoozna
10/14/12 12:44:03PM
awesome...just joined the broadcast at 12:44...almost 70k feet.
Poor_Franklin
10/14/12 1:31:50PM
114K feet!

i think this ish is going down! I'm baked as fuck & nervous as hell!
kopower
10/14/12 1:44:25PM
Here we go. Probably just a few minutes before he jumps. 123,000 ft
jakewalters
10/14/12 1:51:24PM
Lol what if something crazy like homie's head explodes on live TV
BuffaloDave
10/14/12 1:51:37PM
Now it's starting to pick up 127,700 feet
Budgellism
10/14/12 2:10:53PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

114K feet!

i think this ish is going down! I'm baked as fuck & nervous as hell!

Lol, same! I just started watching right before he jumped. That's crazy.

It sucks that you can barely hear him.
scoozna
10/14/12 2:20:48PM
That was cool...my wife and 2 of my kids decided to watch too.
ghandikush
10/14/12 2:23:00PM
I think he failed at breaking sound.
Gogoplatapus
10/14/12 2:36:03PM

Posted by jakewalters

Lol what if something crazy like homie's head explodes on live TV

Fingers crossed!

...but the network powers showed nothing until he was safely on the ground. Cowards.
Poor_Franklin
10/14/12 2:40:33PM
when he started spinning, i got worried. that dude is a pro to be able to maintain control at those speeds.
ghandikush
10/14/12 2:41:22PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

when he started spinning, i got worried. that dude is a pro to be able to maintain control at those speeds.

Supposedly intentionally spun to slow down.
Poor_Franklin
10/14/12 7:42:46PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Poor_Franklin

everything I've read said the spinning was exactly what they were trying to avoid
grappler0000
10/14/12 8:01:24PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Poor_Franklin

everything I've read said the spinning was exactly what they were trying to avoid

I haven't done any follow up, but to me looking back on it, it seems controlled. They didn't want to start tumbling right away, because with the air so thin up there, he wouldn't have much control and could potentially have to launch his chute to stable out. He had reached his top speed prior to the tumble. He went into the spin suddenly and came out of it suddenly as well, after rapidly dropping in speed. So, to me it makes sense, but I have yet to confirm it was planned.
Poor_Franklin
10/14/12 8:35:35PM

the articles i've read said from CNN & other sites confirm:

He experienced one hitch during his fall about three minutes in, reporting, "My visor is fogging up." But more problematic was when he began to veer into a "flat spin" -- which, if it continued, could send blood rushing to his head and left him out of control.

He also says he felt like he was almost in trouble & considered pressing the button for the chute, but realized he had enough control to keep the spin from taking over & that is how he broke the sound barrier

I've been geeking out on this shit all day. I'm sure it's a bigger deal to some more than others, but this absolutely blew my mind. he's a fucking legend in my eyes

other cool quotes:

What he said before he jumped:

"Sometimes you have to go really high to see how small you are"

On breaking the Sound barrier:

" I didn't feel a sonic boom because I was so busy just trying to stabilize myself," Baumgartner said in a statement after landing, adding that he went into a tough spin at the jump's beginning. "It was really a lot harder than I thought it was going to be."
grappler0000
10/14/12 8:48:45PM
That's interesting. I'm glad he didn't have to pull his chute that high up.
Poor_Franklin
10/14/12 8:53:25PM

Posted by grappler0000

That's interesting. I'm glad he didn't have to pull his chute that high up.

agreed. also curious about the mechanics of the parachute when traveling at that speed & how difficult it would have been to gain control of himself & the chute had he needed to pull it.
10/15/12 7:28:17AM
red bull gives you... parachutes?

soft.