Feeling bad for Joe Daddy

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Feeling bad for Joe Daddy
Nacho
1/21/08 7:50:27PM
I seriously feel bad for Joe Stevenson. He is a great fighter and he did everything right to train for this fight with BJ. He started his camp early, he trained in elevation. BJ just dominated the entire fight, and did so in a grisley fashion. Usually in a title fight, the guy who loses didn't train as hard or wasn't 100% going in. This time, both fighters showed up 100% and Joe got crushed. That fact has to hurt a fighter more mentally that the physical fight. Where does he go from here? I think he has a much better match up with almost anyone else. On that night, BJ looked invincible.

I knew this was coming because I really like both fighters. I didn't want to see either guy lose. I am looking forward to seeing Joe get back up on the horse.
SpiderSilva
1/21/08 8:09:28PM
Joe is a good fighter but this was a matchup of a good fighter vs a great fighter there really was a big gap between the two as soon as the fight started you knew that it was gonna end soon
jomatty
1/21/08 8:47:15PM
BJ on his game is imo the best 155'er by a large margin imo. joe daddy is a tough guy he just ran into a focused bj penn who is quite possibly the most gifted fighter in the history of mma. when he is focused he can beat anyone and joe should be able to see that and come back strong.
telnights
1/21/08 9:09:51PM
Joe daddy is without a doubt one of the best 155ers in the game. But he was fighting a living legend. Someone that when he didn't even really train was beating the some of the best. Now BJ is training non stop and is truly focused on being the best ever. The scary part is BJ is still young. There is no shame in losing that fight. If makes you feel better I don't think Sherk is going to put up as good of a fight as Joe did.
Rush
1/21/08 11:12:40PM
I feel bad for Joe too. He's got a good attitude.

However, he should not feel down losing to one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world. He should be happy that he got the chance.
nickcuc547
1/21/08 11:28:53PM
bj just outclassed him, joe daddy is a very good fighter but he isnt on the same level as penn, for that reason i dont feel bad, he fought his ass off and it wasnt enough but that's what happens sometimes in fighting, im sure joe daddy doesnt have many regrets.
Lay_N_Pray
1/21/08 11:41:08PM
I feel bad for him too, but lets not start a Stevenson should change weight classes thread or anything.

Unfortunately, there isn't "anywhere for him to go" as you put it or any other Lightweight for that matter. No one in that division is on Penn's level when he is prepared. Stevenson just needs to get back into the gym, keep working hard and improving and maybe he can catch Penn with something out of nowhere the next time they lock horns.
rabbit915
1/22/08 12:09:52AM
No one can beat BJ at 155 when hes motivated. That being said, he is frequently unmotivated and Daddy could beat him in a rematch if he blows off his training.

I think Joe is bound for a long and successful career as a top 5 lightweight in the UFC.
Aaronno9
1/22/08 12:50:12AM
I felt really bad for joe, hes one of my favourite fighters and it wasnt very nice seeing him so down. I kinda think the cut really changed his gameplan, he was most likley just going to try and weather the storm for the first 2-3 rounds, then see what he could do when bj was tiring, but knowing the fight was in danger of being stopped he had to push the pace and it led to him getting caught. Not saying that i dont think bj would of won anyways, he looked awesome. Joe shouldnt beat himself up about it though, theres nobody at 155 who can hang with b.j when his head is in the right place, imo.
The8One5
1/22/08 5:56:49AM
i gained alot of respect for him in this fight and think he would do alot better than sherk would do, but at the same time i didnt like how he started crying shades of forrest griffin, i mean he lost the chance at his dream but seriously your on international tv compose yourself until you get to the locker room
CornishMMA
1/22/08 7:13:47AM
LOL i think some people are being pretty stupid about this

It should be easy to see that if Daddy hadnt been dropped so early and lost confidence due to it, and then not got cut so badly (and who saw that coming?) then it would have gone better for him

BJ WAS GASSED!!!!!!!! Having to lean on Rogan and not managing more than 4 words for Sherk

Theres no doubt in my mind that if it hit round 3 without a badly cut Daddy then he could of won those last 3 rounds, i do feel really bad for him he was really unlucky to get cut that bad
Rush
1/22/08 9:13:42AM

Posted by CornishMMA

It should be easy to see that if Daddy hadnt been dropped so early and lost confidence due to it, and then not got cut so badly (and who saw that coming?) then it would have gone better for him

BJ WAS GASSED!!!!!!!! Having to lean on Rogan and not managing more than 4 words for Sherk

Theres no doubt in my mind that if it hit round 3 without a badly cut Daddy then he could of won those last 3 rounds, i do feel really bad for him he was really unlucky to get cut that bad

Dude, that's like saying if Joe didn't lose he would have won.

Joe was basically dominated the whole fight.

And the only words BJ should have had for Sherk were: Let's have a fair fight.
xchickox
1/22/08 10:02:30AM
i think joe daddy has the heart to come back and come back a lot stronger, he is one of my favourite fighters and i think in a year or 2 he will get the title
Kastro
1/22/08 11:48:49AM
I dont feel that bad for Joe.... He is a warrior and will come back, the fact alone that he had the opportunity to even fight in the UFC for the title should make him very proud... and although he was outclassed, he showed a tremendous amount of heart and courage, most people would have passed out seeing so much of their own blood..

Joe is also pretty young, his career is not at its peak yet he is going to keep improving he has a lot to learn still.. this was a big learning experience for him and im sure he will be back!
scoozna
1/22/08 11:56:15AM
As soon as Dana "lets" BJ move back up to 170, Joe will get another shot. Don't let the pity party last too long.
CornishMMA
1/22/08 11:59:35AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by CornishMMA

Dude, that's like saying if Joe didn't lose he would have won.

Joe was basically dominated the whole fight.

And the only words BJ should have had for Sherk were: Let's have a fair fight.

No it isnt!!!!!!!! Its saying that a bad cut and that amount of blood stops you from fighting at your best and if it wasnt for the cut he would of had a great chance to win, thats all in response to the thread poster who basically said Daddy never had a chance to win
The8One5
1/22/08 12:02:49PM
corish guy dont be naive he was getting dominated
CornishMMA
1/22/08 12:09:51PM

Posted by The8One5

hey new guy how about straight up stfu and stop being naive yourself! BJ was gassed, how can you possibly say he wouldnt of lost the last 3 rounds, thats what a hellavu lot of people are already picking in the Sherk fight and Daddy and him are very similar, i, like anyone who picked Daddy expected him to have a bad start and lose rds 1+2 but to win the 3 by outworking a gassed BJ and theres no doubt after seeing those post fight interviews that he was badly gassed and wouldnt have faired well

Yes he was getting dominated but thats not to say he would of carried on being dominated, bar the cut (which seemed to make Joe really desperate) Daddy would of likely won the last 3 rounds, im not saying the cut was unfair but it wasnt expected and did make a big difference, Daddy had a good chance to win it just didnt happen, and if you cant recognize that and think Bj is this A level fighter and Daddy is a B level fighter then you are incredibly ignorant!
The8One5
1/22/08 12:15:47PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by The8One5

hey new guy how about straight up stfu and stop being naive yourself! BJ was gassed, how can you possibly say he wouldnt of lost the last 3 rounds, thats what a hellavu lot of people are already picking in the Sherk fight and Daddy and him are very similar, i, like anyone who picked Daddy expected him to have a bad start and lose rds 1+2 but to win the 3 by outworking a gassed BJ and theres no doubt after seeing those post fight interviews that he was badly gassed and wouldnt have faired well

Yes he was getting dominated but thats not to say he would of carried on being dominated, bar the cut (which seemed to make Joe really desperate) Daddy would of likely won the last 3 rounds, im not saying the cut was unfair but it wasnt expected and did make a big difference, Daddy had a good chance to win it just didnt happen, and if you cant recognize that and think Bj is this A level fighter and Daddy is a B level fighter then you are incredibly ignorant!

new guy? anyway i didnt say anything about being gassed i said he dominated, so dont be a sore fantasy mma loser,
Rush
1/22/08 1:20:26PM

Posted by CornishMMA

No it isnt!!!!!!!! Its saying that a bad cut and that amount of blood stops you from fighting at your best and if it wasnt for the cut he would of had a great chance to win, thats all in response to the thread poster who basically said Daddy never had a chance to win

I agree that a bad cut can prevent you from fighting 100%, but the fact of matter is he got cut because he got hit by BJ.

Yes he lost confidence because he got dropped early in the fight, but that was because BJ hit him.

Why did BJ hit him, because he was able to. A popular and likely theory is that BJ is a better fighter.

If Joe was injured or the cut was there prior to the fight then I would say there is some stock to what you are saying, but based on what I saw, he lost because BJ was the better fighter.

I didn't think BJ looked gassed at all. He sure seemed to be doing ok in the mounted position for most of the second round. If you believe BJ was gassed then it means that Joe was beat by a guy that was tired. All in all, it didn't look like Joe was improving towards the end of the fight.
loonytnt
1/22/08 3:59:52PM
well i dont feel bad for him, its a fight 1 is going win 1 is going lose, he will come back better and he is still young
dstlvb
1/22/08 8:12:21PM
I dont feel bad for Joe i feel bad for us fans. Yes BJ is a better fighter and was doing a great job in the first round. When BJ got top position on Joe i figured it to be over. Didnt expect Joe to make it out of the first round. BJ clearly won the first round even without that elbow. I was very surprised how Joe was able o scramble and somewhat minimize the damage. Joe came out in the second round and was aggressive and and the blood looked to be staying out of his eyes. Once he went to the grund that all changed. I do belive the blood changed that fight. Joe kinda paniced when it was in his eyes where he didnt in the first round. As a fan i owuld have much rather that fight not been impacted by the blood. Bj won the first round, and looked to be winning the second although it was early. But even if BJ won the first two rounds we dont know what would have happened in the last three.