My feeling on 145 and 135

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » My feeling on 145 and 135
jjeans
11/21/11 2:19:58PM
After watching the hype to Faber Bowles I realised, I just couldn't care less. Not about who wins the fight was going on to fight Cruz, I heard the boys talk about it on the podcast. But the rematches is the first thing, too many in the 135 division and the inconsistency of contenders in the 145. I'm not really a fan of Faber, Bowles, Pickett, Cruz, Johnson, Aldo, and I'm not saying I hate them, as there is very few fighters I really dislike. I just feel I don't get excited to see any of there fights.

I think theres 2 fighters in both divisions I think I like, Barao, Torres, Hominick and Garcia.

Personally I'd like to see the divisions merged at 140. If the 145 fighters are struggling to make weight like Aldo, shoot up to 155. It just doesn't feel right, I personally can't get excited about certain fights.

Instead of having Faber Cruz fight for the 135 title have them fight for the new title

Heck it's just my thoughts, anybody else struggle to get pumped for 135 pound fights?
emfleek
11/21/11 2:29:19PM
2 words.

Michael McDonald.

Both divisions are going to get deeper as time passes. I'll admit, I've never been a *huge* fan of the smaller weights but my opinion is starting to change. There are some absolute beasts out there.
ghandikush
11/21/11 2:41:17PM

Posted by jjeans

After watching the hype to Faber Bowles I realised, I just couldn't care less. Not about who wins the fight was going on to fight Cruz, I heard the boys talk about it on the podcast. But the rematches is the first thing, too many in the 135 division and the inconsistency of contenders in the 145. I'm not really a fan of Faber, Bowles, Pickett, Cruz, Johnson, Aldo, and I'm not saying I hate them, as there is very few fighters I really dislike. I just feel I don't get excited to see any of there fights.

I think theres 2 fighters in both divisions I think I like, Barao, Torres, Hominick and Garcia.

Personally I'd like to see the divisions merged at 140. If the 145 fighters are struggling to make weight like Aldo, shoot up to 155. It just doesn't feel right, I personally can't get excited about certain fights.

Instead of having Faber Cruz fight for the 135 title have them fight for the new title

Heck it's just my thoughts, anybody else struggle to get pumped for 135 pound fights?

I dont struggle for title fights because both Cruz and Aldo usually put on interesting styles. I think why get excited for Leben and not mouse? Why get excited for Forrest and not Torres? Because some have had spotlight and hype and others have not.
pmoney
11/21/11 2:54:54PM
JJeans, I think the sub-155lb weight classes may be an acquired taste. When I first started watching the WEC back in 2005 or 2006, it was just to fill time because UFC wasn't on. Initially (when WEC had all weight classes) I remember thinking it was sub par because it was filled with UFC washouts, no names, and these really small guys who could seemingly never finish each other.

Because of my extreme love for MMA, I kept watching. Eventually, I noticed that while the smaller guys may not finish as much, their fights are often very exciting and fast paced technical displays. And the WEC did end up breeding some great talent of their own that has fared well since they merged with the UFC. (See Faber, Condit, Stann, Aldo, Bendo, Cowboy, Young Guns, Barao, Mayday, Nunes etc.) I am always jacked up any time one of those guys are fighting.

Keep with it Jay! Maybe check out the Bellator sub-155 classes, those are probably where Bellator is most deep with talent too. In the past, the Bantamweights and Featherweights weren't my favorite to watch by any means, but now they very well may be! If nothing else, think of it as research for the primary and secondary league
Twenty20Dollars
11/21/11 3:16:55PM

Posted by emfleek
Michael McDonald.

<---- avatar

These lighters guys put on some good fights, especially in the WEC days. Merging wouldn't really do anything other than cluttering up that division more than 155.
emfleek
11/21/11 3:21:29PM

Posted by jjeans

For the women, I would agree. This was actually just touched on briefly The MMA Hour. The talent just isn't there right now when it comes to females. I would strongly support a 140lbs class as opposed to seperate classes for 35'ers and 45'ers.

There's plenty enough talent to warrant two seperate divisions for the guys, imo. I wouldn't be suprised to see quite a few of the guys from this season's TUF stick around to be gatekeepers at least while the divisions grow.
jjeans
11/21/11 3:36:41PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Posted by emfleek
Michael McDonald.

<---- avatar

These lighters guys put on some good fights, especially in the WEC days. Merging wouldn't really do anything other than cluttering up that division more than 155.

I enjoy clutter a lot more than rematches, and I'll admit McDonalds KO was incredible!

Again this is just my opinion, if I was in Dana's shoes style, I know it wont happen and I appreciate all the comments and opinions so far
Geoffo
11/21/11 3:38:14PM
I like their fights, their personality is boring during interviews and such.
ncordless
11/21/11 4:02:36PM
I usually enjoy fights at 135 and 145 more than HW. The divisions are new, and as they continue to grow they will become more stable and less rematches will be required. Give them time, merging them would just stunt their growth. The world is full of great athletes in the 125-145 range, especially in the wrestling world. That talent will migrate to the UFC eventually just like it did at LW.
Wallass
11/21/11 4:21:43PM
145 needs some work but 135 is stacked! I mean Cruz, Faber, Benavidez, Johnson, Barao, McDonald, Pickett, Bowles, Torres. Any combinations of these guys makes for awesome fights!
Twenty20Dollars
11/21/11 4:21:57PM
I mean they shouldn't be putting on a lot of rematches. There are other guys that can fight for the title, but it's not my choice.

Faber/Cruz just fought one fight ago for each of them. That's why I'm saying Barao should get the title shot.
FastKnockout
11/21/11 8:08:17PM
I'll admit that I lost a lot of interest in the 135 and 145 division since WEC merged with UFC. Just doesn't feel the same.
DeadHead988
11/21/11 8:11:45PM
I strongly disagree, the lighter weight classes are the best by miles.
prophecy033
11/21/11 8:22:54PM
I'm just now coming around to the lighter weights. It took me awhile but I'm starting to get excited about their fights for 1) the have a lot of action 2) I actually know who they are. I put off buying the WEC Aldo vs Faber dvd for a long time. I just recently picked it up and I couldn't believe I didn't buy it the first day it was released. Look it up on Wikipedia and look at the names on there. It had Garcia vs Korean Zombie, Bendo vs Cerrone 2, Might Mouse vs Brad Pickette, chad mendes, Rani yahya, Anthony Pettis, Scott Jorgenson. It's a who's who of the top lower weight guy
cowcatcher
11/22/11 9:43:57AM
To me the beat all end all is two really good HW's going out there and throwing down with the strap on the line, but it didn't take long for me to decide that I really like the lighter weight classes. The WEC consistently put on great shows and great individual fights, and the pace the little guys set is excellent and serves to break up the card when slower bigger guys are lumbering around after blowing their wads in the first round and a half. I have no complaints about them at all.
kingsmasher
11/22/11 10:35:37AM

Posted by DeadHead988

I strongly disagree, the lighter weight classes are the best by miles.

I agree here the no interest is because I dont think you watched them in teh WEC days....I told my MMA friend about the WEC then he started watching....Man you cant beat the pace these guys in smaller classes fight at...

I am gonnna say this reluctantly...I was only a fan of Torres....A fan...but Faber always puts on a helluva a show....And thats what will generate fans..and his good looks...

As a promoter IMO I would pay more for Faber than Cung Lee any day of the week...

I understand though people knocking it because its more unfamiliar...but some of these guys have NEVER i say again NEVER been in a boring fight....Faber, Cruz, Torres, Aldo,,

The real answer is to have some 155 guys go down and make it even better...Like Guida, Florian stay at 145,,Edgar...I mean we are talking epic fights...

people will love the Hendo Rua fight and say its great but...They are established and from the Pride days so there will be a little bias there...Great phenomenal fight but in all honesty...the last two rounds were very weak as for power...You see a guys head snap but that because something hit it..no power...but I will get a lot of argument because yeah it was great and too...We know these guys and theres much more anticipation...This fight was how long in the making?

IMO the Edgar Maynard fights were better...both...Then I will take the Rua...

Maybe I am a little biased...I have watched all Pride fights but they didnt have that with our cable company in the day..>And when I saw them I see a lot of guys that are one dimensional...

But now I love them all...I love Henderson...I actually Love Rua except that thing he does with his hands to regroup in a fight...I love Rampage talking smack...He needs to evolve and I think he should clean up some of his antics outside the ring...

But the 145 and 135 should only get better and really never see a boring fight...

I think teh 135 division in teh future is defintiely gonna see some changes...I think it will be more filipinos and be more of a muay tai based fighters that dominate in it...Its just theyre small and and the UFC is looking for talent...

In the future to see 135 pound guys in there with speed like Paquioo and trading punches if that doesnt excite you...What does?
Pookie
11/22/11 3:03:54PM
Personally, i think the talent pool at 135 and 145 is not nearly as deep as, seemingly, most others believe. But i do find the fights exciting. I just don't think the divisions are developed enough to consistently put out "Sharks" like the upper divisions can produce.