what do you feel about lutter being cut from the UFC?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » what do you feel about lutter being cut from the UFC?
ricoj3323
4/27/08 6:24:30PM
I think its understandable because first he doesn't make weight versus anderson silva and then he had a lackluster perfomance versus franklin. so its understandable hopefully he can piece together his career somewhere else and maybe make it back to the ufc because when hes in top form he can beat anderson silva

what do you think
juanez13
4/27/08 6:32:30PM
i would cut alot other guys before i cut lutter, he is much better than some guys they are keeping (grove).........however i dont think he has it in him anymore, he doesnt have the will power and determination i takes to be a top level fighter, if he could just get in decent shape he could beat alot of guys at the top (franklin, and i think lutter would have a good chance of beating silva if he fought him in shape.)
Basshandsome
4/27/08 6:37:09PM
Yea, If you can't beat the Top 2 MW's you shouldn't be in the UFC. Seriously, I don't think he should be cut. He was fed to the top guys.People have done much worse and are still in hte UFC. So I think its a bad move. UFC brings in random guys with like 4 wins over nobodys. I am sure Lutter is better than them.
DLPark91TH
4/27/08 6:59:51PM
Well I could see people arguing that it was a good cut, and others arguing it was a bad cut.

I'm not 100% sure either way though...

I mean
1. the UFC is lacking quality MW's and Lutter was pretty solid.
2. he fought 2 of the best in the division

but then again...
1. he didn't make weight for the title fight
2. he gases pretty damn quickly making for a not very entertaining fight
Franklinfan47
4/27/08 7:16:17PM
I personally would have given him one more shot, but lets not forget that he failed to make weight for his title shot guys, a no-no with dana white, then gassed in a top-slotted fight. I can see why it happend.
Mchubb316
4/27/08 7:45:31PM
Missing weight was a big mistake, then he came out and showed that he is not dedicated to his training in the sport. I understand why they did it. I believe they think he just doesn't want to be in there, and there are guys who really want to fight for the UFC and will put on a better showing.
Ben_Hutch
4/27/08 7:47:04PM
We have to remember that there may be more to the story than we have been told.
Twenty20Dollars
4/27/08 7:54:36PM
i feel good about it, UFC needed to let him go.
Violence108
4/27/08 8:37:25PM
i dont think that it is fair to him his last two fights were the 2 best middle weights in the world, and he had them in troble, with an arm bar, and a full mount. give the guy a break man!
tepid55
4/27/08 9:25:41PM
He should have gotten a chance to fight at 205.
JBatch
4/27/08 11:10:34PM
I called it the day after. He and Dana were not on good terms after he embarrassed Dana by squandering his TUF opprotunity. The only chance he had to stya was to beat Rich Franklin and Franklin won thus puts Lutter to the status of expendable. He is a good fighter maybe he can fight Lindland at the Affliction show.
prozacnation1978
4/27/08 11:59:15PM
i think starnes and lutter is just making way later fro fihlo and chael to come to the ufc. there are alot others that should go before lutter lutter fought two of the best, could have won both with better game plan and cardio, a shame, but i am not surprised
Lockfrow
4/28/08 1:27:43AM
He will probably be able to make more $ elsewhere, his UFC contract was probably pretty restrictive. At least now he can do ADCC and other things to raise his profile.
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/28/08 1:28:18AM
i think hits obvious he doesnt want it bad enough so props to dana for sending him away
Manfred
4/28/08 2:20:00AM
I think they might have kept him even though he lost Rich if he'd put up a better fight. If he hadn't spent half the time offering a pedicure to Franklin because he gassed, they could've kept him.

How can they justify keeping him when he obviously doesn't put in the effort? (Twice in a row now!)
Hurricane_Brad
4/28/08 10:05:27AM
Seeing as how the MW division is still the most shallow in the UFC and lacking clear contenders for the belt, they should have kept Lutter.
bigbubbano23
4/28/08 11:24:45AM
i feel nothing
Archangel
4/28/08 11:28:51AM
The Man could have been great, I think his head is in the clouds. If he was focused and had his cardio in check we would have had Franklins arm torn off, and Silva's neck racked.. We would have been talking about his greatness.. There is no sadder story than wasted talent, and for that he should be cut. People work, day and night to get a fraction of his abilities, and then fight until their hearts explode for the victory! Those are the people that UFC needs.
Rabi
4/28/08 11:30:05AM
What is worst.

A fighter who doesnt have all the skill, but works hard so can always improve and has a big heart.

Or

A fighter who has the skill, is showing no heart and no stamina in his last two fights.

Because the latter is worse I think they were right to drop him.
NinjaCyborg
4/28/08 12:17:01PM
Lutter is fat
number0
4/28/08 1:28:48PM
I think lutter can be a great fighter be he has too much baggage and disappointments that go with him.I hope he tighten up and come back one day.
tomsmith17381
4/28/08 1:38:59PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

We have to remember that there may be more to the story than we have been told.

i think your spot on people dont just get cut for gassing out. yea you mentioned the weight cut but that was a long time ago now and why would the ufc cut the only fighter who gave silva a fight. it dont add up we are not being told something here
Rush
4/28/08 2:18:16PM

Posted by Rabi

What is worst.

A fighter who doesnt have all the skill, but works hard so can always improve and has a big heart.

Or

A fighter who has the skill, is showing no heart and no stamina in his last two fights.

Because the latter is worse I think they were right to drop him.

I think both are just as bad. Personally I don't want the UFC (or any other organization) to be just a place where a large number of fighters go into the ring and bang it out like a motivated, athletic schoolyard brawl just as much as an organization filled with a bunch of prima donnas that feel they don't have to be mentally and physically prepared.

I feel that a large number of MMA (UFC mostly) fans just want to see fists fly and a lot of fast action. If MMA orgs are not careful, the dollar signs in their eyes might blind them and MMA may turn the way of what a lot of casual MMA fans appear to want to see.... sloppy pit fighting.

Regarding Lutter and his "gas tank". I admit that Lutter made the same mistake that Jason MacDonald did when he fought Franklin. Jason kept trying to take Franklin down and wasted all his energy. I was more disappointed that Lutter made the same mistake (whether it was arrogance or what on his part, I don't know) more so than the fact he got tired.

Besides, I am willing to bet that a lot of people would be praising Lutter and jumping on his bandwagon (and not saying anything about his gas tank) if he actually locked in that arm bar and made Franklin tap.
tdietel01
4/28/08 8:01:39PM
people say he shouldnt have been cut cause he had to fight the top mw in the div. but if he doesnt even care enough to get into shape to fight the top tier guys, hes never gonna get in shape and never put on a good show. I agree with the cut
bls1919
4/28/08 9:17:01PM
I dont like Lutter being cut at all. The guy does struggle to make weight, granted. His last 2 fights were against the champ and former champ. He did great against Sylva until gassing and pretty good against rich. Cmon give the guy a chance to gain his confidence back a bit. Travis is a great groundfighter, maybe best in the division. And the UFC cut him, why.......so we can watch Grove vs tanner ?!?!?!?!?!?!