Why I feel like a helpless girl on the mat.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Why I feel like a helpless girl on the mat.
seanfu
4/15/09 11:54:18PM
Judo is way rough and the gi is new. Big props to Judo for making me feel like a little girl on the mat like my first month of wrestling all over again.

I thought I would post a thread in honor of this.

That is all.
Amigop
4/16/09 12:04:49AM
No offense but the transtion from wrestling to judo wasnt that hard for me.
but this is because all i worked was throws in wrestling(lateral drop, head and arm, *** wizzer, ect)
seanfu
4/16/09 1:00:25AM
Most of our stuff was all shots duck unders and firemans. I've never done much with throws. Sufficiant to say I get my ass kicked in the clinch.

........Then I pull guard bitches lol.
artofdefense
4/16/09 2:07:52PM
Concentrate on keeping your hips low while standing, and pummel for those underhooks. You'll feel your wrestling experience benefeit you there.
Wolfenstein
4/16/09 3:14:35PM
Yes, it's not exactly the "gentle way" is it? It's actually really taxing on the body, and it's very rare for anyone to compete at a high level in their 30's or even late 20's.

Most guys I know with a wrestling background, that have tried their hand at Judo have done very well, because they're typically very athletic and have great balance. There are some initial struggles, as the principals of Judo differ from the "force meets force" of wrestling. Good luck on your continued progress.
Amigop
4/16/09 7:26:13PM

Posted by seanfu

Most of our stuff was all shots duck unders and firemans. I've never done much with throws. Sufficiant to say I get my ass kicked in the clinch.

Yea we worked shots as a team but overall i think i shot like twice the whole season. p.s. Greco Roman> Judo
Jackelope
4/17/09 12:20:47AM

Posted by Amigop

Posted by seanfu

Yea we worked shots as a team but overall i think i shot like twice the whole season. p.s. Greco Roman> Judo

For MMA I agree. Simply because Judo focuses so much on the gi. However, I think we'll see more and more no-gi Judoka in the future doing great things. Karo Parisyan and many others have continually proved that Judo can be very effective w/o the gi. Especially if you're a judoka who works your trip takedowns
bigbubbano23
4/19/09 10:32:10PM
judo does get really intense, my favorite part is randori/ ne waza and struggling for the grip.