Feedback please regarding the wikipedia MMA wars

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Feedback please regarding the wikipedia MMA wars
DoTheMMAth
5/17/12 8:18:29PM
As many of you are probably aware, wikipedia is "streamlining" lots of their MMA data. Many pages have already been removed and condensed, which has pissed off a number of folks.

That being said, the Playground's owner also owns the domain name mmawiki.com and isn't doing anything with it. It's just sitting there with the most current version of wikimedia software. It would be an ad-free resource where hopefully those who are into this sort of thing wouldn't have to worry about the people in charge wanting to delete data that is relevant to the history of the sport we love.

Are any of you guys MMA wiki editors? or know any of the editors? Do you think with this recent wikipedia nonsense that the MMA community at large would even want to get on board with a project like that?

It's just a thought that I'd be curious to hear feedback on - good or bad.
FastKnockout
5/17/12 8:26:26PM
Rabi might be interested. He enjoys writing and summarising the history of MMA and the UFC.

MMA fans new and old need a wikipedia like database to keep track of the history of MMA and it's fighters outside of career records. I'd hate for no information to be kept on key events such as the infamous SF brawl and UFC/WEC merger so I support the idea of this mmawiki.com.
pmoney
5/17/12 9:47:58PM
I think it's a great idea. I've done some wikipedia editing myself, updating and linking fight results mostly. If it were a light web site, I think that could be great. I know a lot of people aren't pleased with the new Sherdog Fight Finder.
Budgellism
5/17/12 11:33:50PM
I remember that site. I'm pretty sure I wrote the Rashad Evans page way back in the day.

Lol, yup LINK
george112
5/17/12 11:44:34PM
I've also done my fair share dealing with wikimedia

Id be glad to help if needed
DoTheMMAth
5/18/12 12:29:43AM
Thx for the feedback, and by all means feel free to spread the word. This wouldn't be a MMAPG thing - rather, just making a stand alone, clean free solution to a current problem and not wasting the domain pointlessly. It's the perfect domain name for it, and its just sitting there. It won't ever be loaded up with ads, and we care not what site you prefer or are from - aka standard neutral wiki. Nothin wrong with trying to give back to the mma community as a whole. Any free time I have for hobby mma is all spent here on programming, bug fixes, etc - so some experienced editors would be needed as frankly I am largely unfamiliar with the inner workings of wiki code and administration. The whole point is to make it a democratic people project anyway, not some nerds playground.

Anyone visiting from other sites by all means feel free to use the contact form if you would be interested in getting involved.

It would be a huge undertaking that I think would require many hands from the Internet mma community as a whole. Maybe nothing will come of it, who knows, but i didn't think it would hurt to put it out there. Maybe wikipedia will loosen up tomorrow and give mma more credence and this is a pointless post - who knows? Maybe us fans will just settle for whatever happens with the current situation - again, who knows?

Anyone with better connections than my nerdy, behind the scenes amateur programmer skills would be of big help in spreading the word to see if this is something that the mma community at large would want. Reddit? Blogger friends? Twittersphere? I don't know, its just an idea and open invite
DoTheMMAth
5/18/12 12:37:25AM

Posted by FastKnockout

Rabi might be interested. He enjoys writing and summarising the history of MMA and the UFC.

MMA fans new and old need a wikipedia like database to keep track of the history of MMA and it's fighters outside of career records. I'd hate for no information to be kept on key events such as the infamous SF brawl and UFC/WEC merger so I support the idea of this mmawiki.com.

Agreed - I doubt Wikipedia would approve of something like an article on all of Genki Sudo's different ring entrances, bios on lesser known fighters, and even the story/history behind all the great mma news sites and blogs that we aggregate and link to from our news section for example. To the hardcore fans there's lots more to our sport of choice other than a list of event titles or other such basic reference material.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/18/12 12:58:25AM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Posted by FastKnockout

Agreed - I doubt Wikipedia would approve of something like an article on all of Genki Sudo's different ring entrances, bios on lesser known fighters, and even the story/history behind all the great mma news sites and blogs that we aggregate and link to from our news section for example. To the hardcore fans there's lots more to our sport of choice other than a list of event titles or other such basic reference material.

I can ask the twitter community if they would be interested, I know a couple sites that would be
pmoney
5/18/12 3:43:09PM
I checked out Budgellism's Rashad page yesterday (awesome Budge!) and I instantly like the site. Very light on the iPod browser, quick loading... I would definitely make that my go to MMA records site. In addition to being it's own stand alone entity, the links to fighter records on this site that go to Sherdog could be changed to go to MMA wiki. Even if there were never ads to generate additional revenue, it would just be cool (IMO) to have things more "in-house", if you will.
Kpro
5/19/12 7:47:59AM
I spread out some feelers. I'll hit you up by PM, DTM.