Fedors flaw?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Fedors flaw?
« Previous Page
POLL: Will he ever loose?
No way 33% (18)
Its inevitable 67% (37)
Aether
7/15/07 4:54:19AM
yup, it was an elbow and the only reason it was a "loss" is because someone HAD to lose and fedor was cut. I'm pretty sure actually that by the RINGS rules it should have been a win in fedor's favour as opposed to a NC, similar to the silva-okami upkick where illegal strikes results in a loss.

I agree though, his major weakness is he cuts easily, and elbows are the best way to open cuts. If he comes to the UFC I think a powerful wrestler will eventually be able to get him down and open up a cut for a stoppage. Barnett under UFC rules might be a very dangerous opponent for him.

As far as the cage issue, Fedor has fought in cages before and I'm fairly certain he said he prefers them in an interview I read... I'll have to look around to confirm that. Either way, I think cages strongly favour Fighters who like GnP, which we all know is Fedor's bread and butter. Get someone on their back pressed against the cage and it's significantly more difficult for them to maneuver out of the situation. If anything I see the cage being beneficial to his style.
Schizoidman
7/15/07 4:36:52PM
It's not that he cuts easily in general. It's that one gash that he gave himself when he accidentally knocked heads with Minotauro Nogueira. It's scar tissue which is weaker than normal tissue. Aside from that, he's great because he does his homework. He capitalizes on the weakness of his opponent. Why get into a kick-boxing match with Mark Hunt? He impossible to knock out. So what does Fedor do? He beats him on the ground. That's what people like Diego Sanchez and Josh Koscheck will never be "great" because they're always trying to prove themselves to be good at something they're not. Fedor did get caught once by Fujita where he almost lost for the first time. Not only is he solid in every aspect of the sport, but he has a great ability to recover. I don't see him losing anytime soon.
Aether
7/15/07 6:09:00PM
I don't think he came close to losing to fujita at all. He stumbled briefly, but he didn't even fall down and clinched immediately. He was obviously still in control of his faculties. I think we've all seen people stunned much more severely than that get back up right away. I'd say franca's second knee to sherk hurt him more, he pretty much turtled on the canvas until he regained his composure (which didn't take long, but he was still obviously hurt).
Raiderz757
7/15/07 9:50:45PM
any1 can get beat. eventually some1 will throw a wild punch that will catch him
richieb19
7/15/07 9:58:25PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Branwest

Cutting Fedor has never stopped him before? Is everyone forgetting his loss in 2000?

It was a tournament, and someone had to advance. I don't remember if it was a headbut or elbow that did it( I watched it once on youtube and can't remeber the details) , but it was an illegal strike. I think it should have been a NC, but like I said someone had to advance.Doesn't seem fair for someone to get a loss due to the other guy breaking the rules IMO.

It was an accidental elbow... TK went to throw a punch and Fedor tried to dodge and at a grazing elbow, no one was at fault...

TK Vs. Fedor 1

It was unfortunate to say the least, however I strongly believe that under RINGS rules, TK would have won that fight anyways...
Branwest
7/16/07 11:09:13AM
Yes, but at least Fedor avenged that "loss." I believe it was in 2005. I just hope he signs with the UFC and not Bodog. I love watching Bodog fights but the better fighters and more intriguing match-ups (such as Fedor vs. Cro Cop, Couture, Sylvia, Orlovsky, Minotauro, or maybe even Liddell or Shogun or Mark Hunt again) would be in the UFC.
LHK
7/16/07 1:45:45PM
Fedor's flaw (or the closest thing to it) is his standup. Crocop almost finished him off before he gassed (the only reason Fedor was able to outstrike later), and Fujita almost finished him too, he was completely out of it for 2 seconds (more then enough for any decent striker to finish him). He covers this up nicely with incredible takedowns and an incredible ground game, which he can transition from seamlessly.

He will definitely get beat if he keeps fighting. Crocop takes the rematch. Anyone that comes in with a better gameplan can take him too (way easier said then done). I don't think Couture or Gonzaga even have a remote chance (or anyone else besides Crocop for that matter). But there's always that new guy that comes out of nowhere (the equivilant of Sok at HW) who can give him trouble (Fedor himself was that new guy when he first won the Pride title).

As a fun note, how do you guys think the mma world would be different if Randleman had actually knocked Fedor out with that slam? He's actually way underrated and Fedor is probably the only fighter who wouldn't die from that neck slam.
casey64
7/16/07 2:00:11PM
He might loose I am not for sure who could beat him.
shinobi
7/16/07 2:12:05PM
For Fedor to lose, it would have to be a fighter not afraid of engaging him in a slugfest to knock him out, mind you this is incredibly difficult, but Fedor's punches, while very technical, aren't as strong as most heavyweights. Do i see this happening? Definitely not any time soon, Fedor is the GOAT. This is the only way i see him losing. And while i feel that elbow should've counted in his only questionable loss, it doesn't, a dinky cut in like 17 seconds in a fight that hasn't really begun doesn't count as a loss, however i think elbows should've been allowed in that fight. But when they fought again, we seen how the truth played out.
cowcatcher
7/16/07 2:30:44PM
fedor's flaw=robots(and cyborgs) need old peoples' medicine for fuel
Branwest
7/17/07 11:42:28AM
Randalman slamming Fedor was brutal. I just watched that fight again a few minutes ago (I have most fights on VHS or DVD). It's hard to believe that it didn't knock him out. It would've knocked out almost anyone else. I do think that Fedor can be beat, however, there's only a couple of people who I think can do it. I think Cro Cop, if motivated and not distracted like he sometimes gets, can definately do it. He has very good takedown defense, and well, we all know about his striking. I think Liddell would have a pretty good chance as well. Fedor is not very heavy and if Liddell doesn't cut weight, but at the same time doesn't get too heavy, and fights at a comfortable weight, I think he has a shot. His takedown defense is legendary. Of course Fedor's takedowns are legendary as well. I still think it would be a good fight. I can only hope that one day we might see these fights take place, that is if Fedor doesn't sign with Bodog. Anyone heard any new news on this?
TOMMYAYO05
7/18/07 12:53:07AM

who do you guys think has the best chance of beating him? I think if rampage moved up to HW hed have a good chance
I believe Arloski if he goes back to himself,Nogueria,Kongo,Couture,gonzaga is a beast also
LHK
7/18/07 2:06:28PM

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

who do you guys think has the best chance of beating him? I think if rampage moved up to HW hed have a good chance
I believe Arloski if he goes back to himself,Nogueria,Kongo,Couture,gonzaga is a beast also

Rampage would get destroyed. Fedor has too much for him everywhere. Werewolf Arlovski has a puncher's chance, yes, but I wouldn't say a good chance. Nogueira got COMPLETELY DOMINATED every time he fought Fedor. He has absolutely no chance, and nothing for Fedor. Kongo is a poor man's Mirko with NO GROUND GAME, he has zero chance. I mean if Hunt can't even make Fedor break a sweat, Kongo won't survive a minute. Couture is too old. As good as his gameplans are, Fedor is way too explosive. He doesn't have a "good chance". GG is a wild card. We have yet to see what the man who got TKOd by Werdum can do now (I think after Couture we will know where he stands).

Crocop almost finished Fedor in first, and was in no danger the entire fight. Not only does he have the best chance by far, but I think he should be favored to win their rematch. He will have all the motivation he needs, knowing he is retiring and this is definitely the once in a lifetime chance to secure his legacy. CC will win.
Northrend
7/18/07 3:56:04PM

Posted by LHK

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

Rampage would get destroyed. Fedor has too much for him everywhere. Werewolf Arlovski has a puncher's chance, yes, but I wouldn't say a good chance. Nogueira got COMPLETELY DOMINATED every time he fought Fedor. He has absolutely no chance, and nothing for Fedor. Kongo is a poor man's Mirko with NO GROUND GAME, he has zero chance. I mean if Hunt can't even make Fedor break a sweat, Kongo won't survive a minute. Couture is too old. As good as his gameplans are, Fedor is way too explosive. He doesn't have a "good chance". GG is a wild card. We have yet to see what the man who got TKOd by Werdum can do now (I think after Couture we will know where he stands).

Crocop almost finished Fedor in first, and was in no danger the entire fight. Not only does he have the best chance by far, but I think he should be favored to win their rematch. He will have all the motivation he needs, knowing he is retiring and this is definitely the once in a lifetime chance to secure his legacy. CC will win.

He was in danger standing with Fedor, I remember him running across the ring (litterly) lol. That said I think you are right the 100% CC we are used to is the most dangerous opponent for Fedor.
LR
7/18/07 4:02:46PM
I still fail to see how CroCop's fight was considered close by many people. That's ridiculous. CroCop landed some good punches, but once again, Fedor proves he has a great chin and was able to easily take the punishment and turn it into a GnP clinic. CroCop was getting absolutely pummeled on the ground, there was no point in the fight where CroCop really had a chance except during standup, and even then, Fedor did land a few huge punches as well. Half the fight was CroCop protecting himself and still getting rattled by punches from guard. I think it'll be worse for CroCop in the Octagon. The ring allows you to use your footwork a bit more, and against a guy like Fedor, you need all the room you can get. CC did do a good job of absorbing damage and making Fedor miss at times, but he still wasn't able to get out of the guard as much during the fight. The Octagon will just make that 10x worse with the advent of elbows.

And as the post above states, Nog was dominated. He didn't excel in any part of the game against Fedor. It was constant pressure from Fedor that kept Nog from doing anything. And the whole Mark Hunt fight in a ridiculous argument in itself. Hunt caught him and Fedor recovers and basically makes him look like a novice fighter after that. Fedor obviously had way more superior ground skills than Hunt and everyone knew that.

Arvloski has a laughable chance. When are people going to realize that the UFC bred guys aren't the cream of the crop? After Arvloski's boring as hell last fight, he wouldn't even get the shot at it. He needs to quit soaking it up with his model girlfriend and start training to pounce on people, not bore us to death by looking like a mannequin on the mat in the standup position.
TOMMYAYO05
7/18/07 4:20:50PM

crocop never had fedor hurt..hahaha thats funny he got beatdown worst then nogueria did.
LHK
7/18/07 8:20:18PM

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

crocop never had fedor hurt..hahaha thats funny he got beatdown worst then nogueria did.

I didn't say he had Fedor hurt (although he did), I said he almost finished him in the first (the slightly "off" high kick which Fedor mostly slipped. If it was a little higher, lights out Fedor, or at least the Fedor shuffle as in against Fujita, but CC would have capitalized and finished him off).

CC straight up abused Fedor in the first, and yes, Fedor got some nice shots on CC in the standup as well, but after CC gassed s when Fedor started controlling with the GnP (and even then not even close to subbing or TKOing CC). CC nuetralized most of Fedor's power from the mount, unlike the missles Fedor rained down into Nog's face repeatedly.

And as for your RIDICULOUS claim that CC got beatdown worse then Nog, that's hilarious. Nog was OBLITERATED 100% of the fight in all areas (every time they fought), CC was peppered in the GnP for the second half of the fight after he gassed. He looked like he just got out of an everyday sparring session after the fight (Fedor looked wrecked). and Nog doesn't gas, he just had nothing for Fedor.

Pics

Crocop After Fedor

Nog After Fedor

Fedor After Nog

Fedor During CC

Fedor After CC

Kick that nearly ended it all

So, TOMMYAYO05, try to actually watch the fights next time before posting. Thanks.
Branwest
7/18/07 8:44:53PM

Posted by LR

I still fail to see how CroCop's fight was considered close by many people. That's ridiculous. CroCop landed some good punches, but once again, Fedor proves he has a great chin and was able to easily take the punishment and turn it into a GnP clinic. CroCop was getting absolutely pummeled on the ground, there was no point in the fight where CroCop really had a chance except during standup, and even then, Fedor did land a few huge punches as well. Half the fight was CroCop protecting himself and still getting rattled by punches from guard. I think it'll be worse for CroCop in the Octagon. The ring allows you to use your footwork a bit more, and against a guy like Fedor, you need all the room you can get. CC did do a good job of absorbing damage and making Fedor miss at times, but he still wasn't able to get out of the guard as much during the fight. The Octagon will just make that 10x worse with the advent of elbows.

And as the post above states, Nog was dominated. He didn't excel in any part of the game against Fedor. It was constant pressure from Fedor that kept Nog from doing anything. And the whole Mark Hunt fight in a ridiculous argument in itself. Hunt caught him and Fedor recovers and basically makes him look like a novice fighter after that. Fedor obviously had way more superior ground skills than Hunt and everyone knew that.

Arvloski has a laughable chance. When are people going to realize that the UFC bred guys aren't the cream of the crop? After Arvloski's boring as hell last fight, he wouldn't even get the shot at it. He needs to quit soaking it up with his model girlfriend and start training to pounce on people, not bore us to death by looking like a mannequin on the mat in the standup position.

Arlovsky's fight was boring as hell, and no, he wouldn't beat Fedor. Obviosly, anything can happen when someone has a puncher's chance, but the Arlovsky of late has pretty much no chance. I've been watching UFC and Pride (and other) events for years and I don't think the "cream of the crop" comes from any one organization. You can pick and choose from each and find amazing fighters. Whether it's Chuck, GSP, Matt Hughes, Shogun, Gomi, Fedor, or Dan Henderson, there are good fighters in both organizations. I just wish they would change the UFC rules to be more like Pride. Elbows are already allowed but like Pride, they should allow knees to the head on the ground and kicking and stomping opponents on the ground, etc. These guys are highly trained and know how to protect themselves. If in serious danger, the refs will stop it. The UFC refs wont let it go on as long as Pride officials did like in the W. Silva v. Yuki Kondo fight (which was totally brutal and very entertaining). The health and safety of the fighters should be the most important factor but they know how to take care of themselves, and when they can't, that's what the ref is for.
hippysmacker
7/18/07 10:52:33PM

Posted by cowcatcher

fedor's flaw=robots(and cyborgs) need old peoples' medicine for fuel

SteedTheDeed
7/19/07 2:52:54AM
Fujita showed he can be ko'ed and it will happen.
Pages: 1 [2]