Anybody think Fedor takes it to Sylvia standing, not just on the ground?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Anybody think Fedor takes it to Sylvia standing, not just on the ground?
Shogunator800
7/14/08 3:11:23AM
I think Fedor will opt to take Sylvia down, but I seem to be one of the few with the opinion that upon not being able to successfully take Tim down, that Fedor can use his hand speed and overall quickness to beat Sylvia and take it to him standing.
hotrodttt
7/14/08 3:22:53AM
Oh Yeah look at what he did to Cro Cop and Cro Cop's Striking is Way Better and More Powerful. I think Fedor will definatly use his hand Speed and Wacky Combinations to set up a Throw but Fedor could definatly chop Tim down
Pookie
7/14/08 3:29:18AM
Yup, i agree. Sylvia doesnt do well against guys with fast footwork and good head movement.

I see fedor landing a quick 1-2, or power hook coming in, clinch, takedown, submission from side control.
juanez13
7/14/08 6:43:34AM
I agree, i think he'll do the same thing Arlovski did to Sylvia twice, lead with that overhand fight and drop sylvia, than he'll finish with a foot lock.
ohiostate1016
7/14/08 9:54:44AM
I think that Fedor will hang onto the ropes for a while before slamming Timmy on his head for the highlight reel KO.
fedorwins1
7/14/08 10:19:55AM
I can see it happening no problem, Sylvia isn't exactly a nimble, fast heavyweight, Fedor on the other hand is super fast for a heavyweight. CC had serious trouble with Fedor and we all know CC's striking is amazing. The reach won't be that big of a factor either, look what happened to HMC.

Fedor comes in throws some combos get the clinch/takedown and shortly after gets the sub.
SmileR
7/14/08 10:31:24AM

Posted by juanez13

I agree, i think he'll do the same thing Arlovski did to Sylvia twice, lead with that overhand fight and drop sylvia, than he'll finish with a foot lock.

I was thinking the exact same thing!
AchillesHeel
7/14/08 11:10:14AM
Yup. Sylvia needs to become a different kind of fighter to beat Fedor. It's not impossible, but I don't see that happening.
bullettdodger
7/14/08 2:12:58PM

Posted by fedorwins1

I can see it happening no problem, Sylvia isn't exactly a nimble, fast heavyweight, Fedor on the other hand is super fast for a heavyweight. CC had serious trouble with Fedor and we all know CC's striking is amazing. The reach won't be that big of a factor either, look what happened to HMC.

Fedor comes in throws some combos get the clinch/takedown and shortly after gets the sub.

I agree with everything you said here.... except when you used HMC as an example of reach... that fight was such a sham i don't think it really should ever be mentioned again. I mean, no knees. Thats kind of a big part of using your reach, being able to knee someone when they clinch with you. Tim will be able to knee right? Still i agree with everything other than that. Fedor will drop and sub Big Tim
Franklinfan47
7/14/08 7:00:20PM
If Couture could do it, I don't see why Fedor can't. I give Sylvia no chance in this fight.
SmileR
7/14/08 7:07:37PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by fedorwins1

I agree with everything you said here.... except when you used HMC as an example of reach... that fight was such a sham i don't think it really should ever be mentioned again. I mean, no knees. Thats kind of a big part of using your reach, being able to knee someone when they clinch with you. Tim will be able to knee right? Still i agree with everything other than that. Fedor will drop and sub Big Tim

Its a rule that all fighters can use when they are out weighed. It wasn't just brought in for Fedor. I'm not to sure but I think Pride used it a lot with their "freekshow" fights.
casketcoin
7/14/08 7:07:48PM
No doubt in my mind that fedor will win this and it wouldnt suprise me if it is by strikes
Bowen50
7/14/08 9:08:30PM
Fedor is going to dismantle Sylvia. i wouldn't be surprised at all if Fedor dominates Sylvia standing. as everyone has said already Fedor has very quick feet for heavyweight and great combinations.
cmill21
7/14/08 9:56:15PM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by fedorwins1

Its a rule that all fighters can use when they are out weighed. It wasn't just brought in for Fedor. I'm not to sure but I think Pride used it a lot with their "freekshow" fights.

Yep Mark Hunt wasn't allowed to use knees on the ground in his fight with fedor.
Jackelope
7/14/08 10:45:57PM
The overhand right (which Fedor happens to be very, very good at throwing) will be the key to his success on the feet in this fight. The problem is setting it up. If he can duck one of Tim's usual 1, 2 combinations he'll be able to do some real damage with the overhand right.

I think Timmah will tag up Fedor a couple times on the feet, but for the most part Fedor's pace and Tim's fear of the takedown will hamper Tim's ability to win it on the feet. There's really very few ways for Tim to win this fight. That is, unless he really works on his footwork.

Also, don't get me wrong... I am a non-Timmah hater. I just look at the styles matchup for this fight carefully.

Also- as for knees on the ground- when you're fighting a fighter that outweighs you by 60 lbs. in Hunt, or 130-140 lbs or whatever it was for HMC, it's no wonder knees are and should be illegal.
cmill21
7/15/08 12:17:27AM

Posted by Jackelope

The overhand right (which Fedor happens to be very, very good at throwing) will be the key to his success on the feet in this fight. The problem is setting it up. If he can duck one of Tim's usual 1, 2 combinations he'll be able to do some real damage with the overhand right.

I think Timmah will tag up Fedor a couple times on the feet, but for the most part Fedor's pace and Tim's fear of the takedown will hamper Tim's ability to win it on the feet. There's really very few ways for Tim to win this fight. That is, unless he really works on his footwork.

Also, don't get me wrong... I am a non-Timmah hater. I just look at the styles matchup for this fight carefully.

Also- as for knees on the ground- when you're fighting a fighter that outweighs you by 60 lbs. in Hunt, or 130-140 lbs or whatever it was for HMC, it's no wonder knees are and should be illegal.

I agree, I think Fedor will use his hands to set up a take down, and I think Fedor's takedowns are much better for getting Tim to the ground the Nogs. Double legging a guy that big is not easy, but a clinch take down and using the big mans weight against him seems to work much better. I could see Tim catching Fedor but Fedor doesn't stand in front of you, Cro Cop had trouble catching up to him, and Cro Cop's done some things in stand up fighting. I believe this match will be better then most people, but I think style wise Fedor is not a good match up for Tim, since his reach is overwhelming strikers have trouble, but Tim's been submitted, given they were very very good submission fighters but Fedor is no slouch. I think this will be a better fight then Randy vs Fedor though, I think Randy would get beat pretty bad on the feet and then have no out since taking Fedor down ussually ends with you in an arm bar, I think Tim can use his size and possibly catch Fedor or get a UD.
ICSlegend
7/15/08 1:19:44AM

Posted by cmill21
Cro Cop had trouble catching up to him, and Cro Cop's done some things in stand up fighting

Haha awesome!

Agree with everything though except maybe Randy. Randy and Tim both really have nothing for Fedor. Bring on Barnett and Kharitonov and CC. Haven't seen anything from anyone else that can actually topple the Last Emperor.

Although how interesting would Machida/Fedor be?
Jackelope
7/15/08 8:12:33AM

Posted by ICSlegend

Posted by cmill21
Cro Cop had trouble catching up to him, and Cro Cop's done some things in stand up fighting

Haha awesome!

Agree with everything though except maybe Randy. Randy and Tim both really have nothing for Fedor. Bring on Barnett and Kharitonov and CC. Haven't seen anything from anyone else that can actually topple the Last Emperor.

Although how interesting would Machida/Fedor be?

If by chance Machida could stay out of reach and tag his way to a decision I'd be impressed. Fedor's aggressive style would play right into Machida's counter-striking. Problem is, Fedor gets aggressive, and if his aggression doesn't succeed he doesn't just back up and reset. He keeps coming forward until there is nowhere left to run (see CC vs. Fedor) eventually Fedor will get the tie up, and I could see him unleashing some hellacious GnP on Machida.

Machida's footwork is good, I actually want to say better than CC's, but I think it only keeps Fedor off of him for so long. That, and I haven't seen enough power from Machida to make me believe he can KO the last emperor.

Then again, Machida could really impress in a fight like this and I wouldn't put it past him to use the side step combined with punching combinations to really give himself a chance.