SF Fedor vs. Silva Results (Spoilers)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » SF Fedor vs. Silva Results (Spoilers)
« Previous Page
kopower
2/13/11 12:13:01AM

Posted by pmoney

Sadness.... I am never, ever switching my picks the day before the fight again!!! It always screws me over. Somehow Bloody Elbow convinced me that Arlovski and Villante would win when I had Sergei and Griggs picked for first round KO's....

C'mon, don't hold back. Tell me I am an idiot....

Yeah, why would anybody ever pick Arlovski vs someone with knock out power

To be fair about Griggs, the majority of sites I read had Villante winning via ko.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/13/11 12:13:50AM

Posted by telnights

Posted by warglory

I am actually kind of pissed that Fedor is contemplating retiring. All of a sudden things start getting difficult and you retire?! Every champion faces losses in MMA, it's just bound to happen and kind of a cheap shot to his loyal fanbase.

I don't think he really cares about fighting anymore and has only been doing it for the past few years for the money.

This. What left does he have to prove. His heart is not in it anymore. He's been in just about every imaginable war an MMA fan could have wanted and he's retiring with 3 loses. I'd say that's pretty damn good.

Fedor isn't one of those fighters that would retire because it "got tougher." He's retiring because he realizes it's his time. He realizes that he cannot compete at the level he used to compete at. I can think of a couple people who could have learned from this approach.
RearNakedJoke
2/13/11 12:14:29AM

Posted by kopower

Posted by pmoney

Sadness.... I am never, ever switching my picks the day before the fight again!!! It always screws me over. Somehow Bloody Elbow convinced me that Arlovski and Villante would win when I had Sergei and Griggs picked for first round KO's....

C'mon, don't hold back. Tell me I am an idiot....

Yeah, why would anybody ever pick Arlovski vs someone with knock out power

To be fair about Griggs, the majority of sites I read had Villante winning via ko.

I figured his speed would keep him out of danger. Deep down i knew he was taking a nap in the first tho.
Aether
2/13/11 12:16:13AM

Posted by telnights

Posted by warglory

I am actually kind of pissed that Fedor is contemplating retiring. All of a sudden things start getting difficult and you retire?! Every champion faces losses in MMA, it's just bound to happen and kind of a cheap shot to his loyal fanbase.

I don't think he really cares about fighting anymore and has only been doing it for the past few years for the money.

I don't really even think his motivation has been money recently either. He almost seemed to still be fighting just because that's what he does and he was still essentially undefeated. He seemed more interested in fighting on a Japanese New Year's card because he like the fans there than to sign a multi-million dollar deal with the UFC.

I think he was more or less just waiting to lose so he could retire and be done with it.
kopower
2/13/11 12:17:58AM
That's what I thought RearNakedJoke
Aether
2/13/11 12:18:19AM
obviously everyone realizes the guy has nothing to prove, people want to see him keep fighting because they're fans, not because they feel he has something to prove to them.
RearNakedJoke
2/13/11 12:18:46AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by telnights

Posted by warglory

This. What left does he have to prove. His heart is not in it anymore. He's been in just about every imaginable war an MMA fan could have wanted and he's retiring with 3 loses. I'd say that's pretty damn good.

Fedor isn't one of those fighters that would retire because it "got tougher." He's retiring because he realizes it's his time. He realizes that he cannot compete at the level he used to compete at. I can think of a couple people who could have learned from this approach.

I dont think he's lost a beat. He looked great in the first but his game plan was horrible. i think his competitions just gotten better and he doesnt want to do the work to keep up or cut the weight to be competitive.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/13/11 12:20:23AM

Posted by RearNakedJoke

I dont think he's lost a beat. He looked great in the first but his game plan was horrible. i think his competitions just gotten better and he doesnt want to do the work to keep up or cut the weight to be competitive.

You're saying this as fact. What are you basing this off of? Do you have an interview where Fedor said "I don't want to do the work to keep up or cut the weight to be competitive?"

By the way, how would a weight CUT have helped him tonight?

sbulldavid
2/13/11 12:20:50AM
Like Gracie was the greatest in the early days, Fedor improved on that and became the greatest fighter in what I think of as the "Pride Generation". That time period has been done, we've had several better fighters for a long time, as great as Fedor was or is he's at a serious size and athletic disadvantage and his technique is average by modern standards.
RearNakedJoke
2/13/11 12:25:10AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by RearNakedJoke

You're saying this as fact. What are you basing this off of? Do you have an interview where Fedor said "I don't want to do the work to keep up or cut the weight to be competitive?"

Your the one that claimed to know his motivation for quiting. I also said "i think", meaning its my opinion.

if he cut the weight to 205 he wouldnt have had a 285lb monster on top of him.
Aether
2/13/11 12:25:45AM
Oh well, he's a legend and I really want to see him continue as a fan but if he wants to retire he wants to retire. I just would love to see him stick around the way that Couture has. Fight for the fun of fighting, but he's always said that he doesn't really enjoy fighting and it's just a way to make a living, so I guess that's not something he's interested in doing.

I still think he can compete at a really, really high level if he cuts to 205 where he belongs, but of course, if you're already rich, getting into your late 30s with 30+ fights spanning a decade you probably don't have a lot of incentive to try cutting weight.
Kpro
2/13/11 12:26:57AM
He really does have nothing left to prove; maybe a Couture match-up down the line just like Liddell/Wandy was so many years too late, but other than that type of match-up he has nothing left to prove and will always be remembered as the best mixed martial artist of his generation. I don't think he's fought his last fight though.
RearNakedJoke
2/13/11 12:28:44AM

Posted by Aether

Oh well, he's a legend and I really want to see him continue as a fan but if he wants to retire he wants to retire. I just would love to see him stick around the way that Couture has. Fight for the fun of fighting, but he's always said that he doesn't really enjoy fighting and it's just a way to make a living, so I guess that's not something he's interested in doing.

I still think he can compete at a really, really high level if he cuts to 205 where he belongs, but of course, if you're already rich, getting into your late 30s with 30+ fights spanning a decade you probably don't have a lot of incentive to try cutting weight.

I agree, I would have liked to see him cut down along time ago.

I really feel bad for Strikeforce. After all the crap they went through to renegotiate Fedors contract he announces he may retire after the one fight they would have had him for anyways.

And he's only 34 thats not his late 30's lol
StriderXero
2/13/11 12:28:55AM
I think im gonna take a break from sports. My teams and favorite fighters have been losing. I geuss I should fully expect bj to lose in two weeks. Damn, horrible past year I had with sports.
Kpro
2/13/11 12:31:02AM

Posted by StriderXero

I think im gonna take a break from sports. My teams and favorite fighters have been losing.

Keep your chin up, you could live in Cleveland!

And if you do live in Cleveland, sorry.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/13/11 12:32:57AM

Posted by RearNakedJoke

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by RearNakedJoke

Your the one that claimed to know his motivation for quiting. I also said "i think", meaning its my opinion.

Fedor has been talking about retiring for quite some time now.

This isn't exactly a blindside. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that people are saying he should just drop to 205. Fedor has a big frame. He would lose his most of his power. He's not exactly the fastest fighter, anyhow.

Moving down to 205 would force Fedor to completely overhaul his career. He would need to prepare for the speed+combined with power of the 205 fighters. He would also have to deal with the explosive wrestling of the 205 lb division where the fighters don't tire as quickly as the HW's.

Fedor's days were numbered anyhow. He's had 36 fights, most of which were against high level competition.

Fedor knows better than anyone if he needs to retire. We aren't talking about Couture who has retired more times than Favre. We are also not talking about a Jens Pulver who WON'T retire.

If he says it's time, he believes it's time. I don't think there's anything "selfish" or "not wanting to put in the work" about that.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/13/11 12:38:06AM
From Dana's Twitter

danawhite M1 = M done! What did I tell you Vadummy!!

kopower
2/13/11 12:41:12AM
I figured Dana would enjoy the results
RearNakedJoke
2/13/11 12:41:58AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by RearNakedJoke

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by RearNakedJoke

Moving down to 205 would force Fedor to completely overhaul his career. He would need to prepare for the speed+combined with power of the 205 fighters. He would also have to deal with the explosive wrestling of the 205 lb division where the fighters don't tire as quickly as the HW's.

So are you saying he'd have to do too much work to compete at 205 or that he isnt that great a fighter?

RearNakedJoke
2/13/11 12:44:11AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

From Dana's Twitter

danawhite M1 = M done! What did I tell you Vadummy!!

Corporate trolling at its finest! lol
BlueSkiesBurn
2/13/11 12:48:50AM

Posted by RearNakedJoke
So are you saying he'd have to do too much work to compete at 205 or that he isnt that great a fighter?

Why are those my only two options? I know where you're going with this. If say it's too much work, you'll use some circular reasoning to say "I was right."

At this point in his career, Fedor feels it's better for him to retire than do a divisional overhaul on the style he's been using since he began fighting. I don't feel as though that's a horrible thing for someone to think. More to the point, Fedor might not feel like fighting at 205. He might want to retire as a heavyweight.

Honestly, when did fighters need to START dropping weight classes just so you could continue to watch them fight?

He feels it's time. I'm pretty sure Fedor has been told 205 is an option. I'm 100% sure that he is aware the division exists.
sparky
2/13/11 2:20:30AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by emfleek

Posted by grappler0000

Igor Gracie def. John Salgado via submission (arm-triangle choke) - Round 2, 3:04

So, what was the Hotbout anyway?

Translation: "we forgot"

No.

TRANSLATION: The one time I don't pick a Gracie to win, I get burnt.

Same
Franklinfan47
2/13/11 3:05:59AM
War Fedor forever

even if he is done he will always be remembered as one of the greats imo.

Also, war Kharitonov
ncordless
2/13/11 3:42:50AM
And thus ends the career of the greatest mixed martial arts fighter in history so far.

The king is dead, long live the king.
mrsmiley
2/13/11 6:17:30AM
My favirote part was after the fight when he smiled as the crowd was cheering for him. Their will never be another Fedor and that makes watching his career from nearly the beginning that much more special.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]