Fedor Says he will fight in Pride/UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Fedor Says he will fight in Pride/UFC
Next Page »
kerazzle
5/7/07 1:04:39AM
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=564628

The poster is very reliable, the source is Russian but he frequently translates for Sherdog.
rcg916
5/7/07 1:28:19AM
great news! thanks!
methodman_90
5/7/07 2:07:11PM
hope he puts pen to paper now
AchillesHeel
5/7/07 2:12:40PM

Posted by methodman_90

hope he puts pen to paper now

Yeah, exactly. I'll believe it when it's official.
ezkl2517
5/7/07 3:14:31PM
Ufc's gonna have a bad day if Fedor goes over there. i dont think of anyone that can beat him over there. and all the ufc fans are gonna get pissy and not understand who this "pudgy Russian Guy" is. i hope it happens thou.
dunster
5/7/07 3:57:22PM
i think everyone who watches ufc is aware of fedor, surely?
skiba97
5/7/07 4:12:31PM
I think people under estimate what ufc fans actually no. Fair enough they might not no every fighter in pride but im sure a large majority new who rampage and cro cop were, and im even more sure theyd no about fedor.
nubby
5/7/07 4:18:08PM

Posted by skiba97

I think people under estimate what ufc fans actually no. Fair enough they might not no every fighter in pride but im sure a large majority new who rampage and cro cop were, and im even more sure theyd no about fedor.

KNOW = Knowledge
No = Negative
pv3Hpv3p
5/7/07 4:19:47PM

Posted by dunster

i think everyone who watches ufc is aware of fedor, surely?

I wouldn't be so sure... While admittidly it took a while to get them into watching all the UFC PPV's (now they won't miss one for the world), most of my buddies still don't bother watching Pride... I don't get it, but that's just how it is... And if you don't ever really watch Pride, then how would you ever really know who Fedor was and furthermore how good he is? Sad but true
Buddharox
5/7/07 4:43:28PM

Posted by skiba97

Casual fans won't know. And most fans are casual.
Stickan
5/7/07 5:10:01PM
I think Fedor can become a star in the US just based on what he does in the ring and his calm demeanor outside the ring (or in this case, the cage).
If he remains undefeated for a longer time in the UFC, the image of him as an immortal cyborg that most hardcore fans have will transcend to the casual fans.
Lay_N_Pray
5/7/07 5:44:26PM
The UFC casual fans love winners, and they love guys who finish fights. It just so happens Fedor is both of those so the transition to the UFC (if there is one) should be easy.

The fans will know within weeks what he has done because you can be sure Rogan will be saying something like "Fedor is the baddest man on the planet...he is the only fighter I have EVER seen without any weakness" And we all know that what Rogan says is considered gospel among the UFC viewers so he would be a star before he even got in the octagon.
zephead
5/7/07 6:03:18PM

Posted by ezkl2517

Ufc's gonna have a bad day if Fedor goes over there. i dont think of anyone that can beat him over there. and all the ufc fans are gonna get pissy and not understand who this "pudgy Russian Guy" is. i hope it happens thou.

Right. The same way the UFC was gonna have a bad day when Cro Cop came over. That's why they fight
mkiv9secsupra
5/7/07 6:13:34PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by ezkl2517

Right. The same way the UFC was gonna have a bad day when Cro Cop came over. That's why they fight

haha...sarcasm at its finest....props...
nubby
5/7/07 6:39:04PM
Too bad Rogan refers to him as Emelianenko Fedor
mkiv9secsupra
5/7/07 6:41:50PM

Posted by nubby

SERIOUSLY!? what is with that?! his name is Fedor Emelianenko...i think glazer and trigg refered to him as that too. maybe we should refer to everyone like that......couture randy, jackson quinton, liddell chuck, arlovski andrei.......
Ultimate_fighter
5/7/07 7:50:25PM
I can't wait till Fedor steps into the Octagon, i hope he dont get KO-ed like Cro Cop right away tho.
hippysmacker
5/7/07 9:35:26PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by nubby

SERIOUSLY!? what is with that?! his name is Fedor Emelianenko...i think glazer and trigg refered to him as that too. maybe we should refer to everyone like that......couture randy, jackson quinton, liddell chuck, arlovski andrei.......

Actually in Russian they say the last name first, so it's a sign of respect.
mkiv9secsupra
5/7/07 9:46:33PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by nubby

ok well thanks for the info. now if i ever meet him at a show/signing i wont disrespect him and then have him kill me...
hippysmacker
5/7/07 10:04:58PM
LOL. Lucky for all of us ,he probably understands our customs
loller90278
5/7/07 10:23:30PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by nubby

i dont know where you got that... but i'm russian *sort of... technicality* and i've never heard of that.. i think its a japenese custom and from the entrances they always say emelianenko fedor.. maybe joe got it from that..
AchillesHeel
5/8/07 11:54:06AM

Posted by loller90278

i think its a japenese custom and from the entrances they always say emelianenko fedor.. maybe joe got it from that..

It's an Asian thing, yes. Hungarians do it too, I think.
Rush
5/8/07 3:26:00PM
It's definitely an Asian thing. Some Europeans do it too.
JimiMak
5/8/07 5:06:47PM
When the PRIDE guy announces fighters Americans and most Europeans get announced w/ the familial name last (I believe also S Americans). Asians and specific Europeans (such as the Emelianenko's) have the family name first. I always imagined that either Fedor says it that way or he wanted to respect the Japanese way of saying it. Tho I remember Sobolev Denis being how he was announced at PRIDE 13. So I think some or all of the former soviet states do.
Naturaldisaster
5/9/07 9:48:10AM
personally I don't ever want to see Fedor in the octagon (except for maybe the UFC vs. Pride superbowl). Why take him out of the place that he is dominating? I want to see him stay in pride. I don't want to see them bringin the pride fighters to UFC, thats just "Watering Down" pride. If they do bring Fedor over to UFC then who's left in the pride HW division? seriously! Leave the Pride fighters IN PRIDE. Rampage should have stayed with pride, Big Nog, Cro Cop. Zuffa is pretty much just using Pride as Storage right now. They're gonna keep the pride fighters there until they want them in UFC and then their just gonna take them out of pride! I guarentee they will take Henderson, Shogun, Gomi! I think This sellout is one of the biggest mistakes made so far in mma
nubby
5/10/07 3:43:49PM
I would like to see Fedor fight in the UFC. I have a sinking suspicion he would find his first loss there. Nothing messes with a man's self confidence more than gettingpushed up against the cage and getting elbowed over and over.

If he fights couture in the octagon I call it here and now, 1st round TKO from ground and pound by Randy THE NATURAL COUTURE!!!!!!
Mv356
5/10/07 6:38:44PM
Fedor would curbstomp randy X_X.

This sounds crazy, but I'd give timmah a good chance to defeat fedor.
nubby
5/10/07 6:58:01PM

Posted by Mv356

Fedor would curbstomp randy X_X.

This sounds crazy, but I'd give timmah a good chance to defeat fedor.

The reason it sounds crazy is because Tim doesn't have any of the tools necessary to defeat Fedor. Randy does.
johny_rotten
5/10/07 7:12:32PM
The reason many say his name backwards is because when he started fighting for Pride the US broadcast team didn't have a translator in their ear like they do now. As it is the Japanese way to say the sir name first that is what they thought his name was.

In the early days of Pride they didn't give the US broadcast any help. Watching the first 10 or so events is very funny. Bas and Raunillo(sp?) didn't know all the rules, how long the fights were to last, if there were rounds. They also weren't informed about the special rules fights either. There were a couple grappling matches, and karate rules matches that had them clueless.
p_unit23
5/11/07 4:50:55PM
YES! i can't wait for fedor's next fight
Pages: [1] 2