Does Fedor's run through one-dimensional fighters prove anything?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Does Fedor's run through one-dimensional fighters prove anything?
fullerene
1/2/08 10:40:51AM
I'd say "yes', not so much for his career but for the supremacy of MMA training vs. other fighting styles (on their own). I think his collection of victories over "freak shows" and "one-dimensional" strikers/grapplers effectively proves that there is no guy out there who's so big or so good at one discipline that he could beat the MMA champ. He's beaten two guys who are over 350 pounds (Zulu, Choi), two K-1 champs (Hunt, Choi), two Olympic wrestlers (Coleman, Lindland), one Olympic judoka (Ogawa) and one ADCC champ (Arona).

All of them had limitations as MMA fighters, but the fact that he exposed those limitations is good for the credibility of the sport IMO. I also wonder if any other MMA fighter could have run through that collection of limited fighters without a single loss due to style matchups.
tuvok500
1/2/08 10:54:15AM
It prove that a guy with long arms and 0 ground game will be sub in less than 2 min in a ring against any MMA fighter who have alot of experience.

cmill21
1/2/08 12:34:37PM

Posted by tuvok500

It prove that a guy with long arms and 0 ground game will be sub in less than 2 min in a ring against any MMA fighter who have alot of experience.

I honestly doubt that. Choi out weighed him by 130lbs, Fedor looked like a baby in his arms. Size isn't ussually a factor, but when it's 1'2 and 130lbs it becomes a bit of a factor. Alot of people would have not got that arm bar, he had to take punishment to get it. Also the longer that fight wen't, would mean choi sweating and the arm bar being harder to get, some would have waited longer, or just simply got killed on the ground when they were hit with Chois sledge hammer.
Mastodon2
1/2/08 12:45:28PM

Posted by tuvok500

As amazing as Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's BJJ is I don't think he could have beaten Choi so quickly. As resourceful as Randy is, I don't think he could have beaten Choi at all. Cro Cop, Kongo and Arlovski would all have difficulty with him. Gonzaga wouldnt be able to submit him in two minutes. Hunt could outstrike him over the course of a fight, but no one in the world other than Fedor could have dispatched Choi in 2 minutes.

So the Korean lacks skills. 130lbs is a huge difference. To beat someone who outweighs you by 130lbs, and to do it in 2 minutes is a massive feat, no matter how much experience Choi has. His size alone makes his dangerous.
kevietre
1/2/08 12:50:48PM
Like Karo said If you put giants in front of this guy he will crush them. Choi has only had one fight which isint enough experience to escape that arm bar. Had he faught a more experienced, well rounded fighter he may have not gotten the arm bar. I think Fedor has done a lot for the sport and is the number one guy right now but he needs to step it up. Fighting Lindland was a joke, Choi was a joke, and I love Coleman but he's a 41 year old roided wrestler trying to hang with a top Sambo master. However I think Fedor wants to fight tougher guys but all these fights aren't going to prepare him enough for when he gets Couture or Barnett.
AchillesHeel
1/2/08 1:11:41PM

Posted by fullerene

I'd say "yes', not so much for his career but for the supremacy of MMA training vs. other fighting styles (on their own). I think his collection of victories over "freak shows" and "one-dimensional" strikers/grapplers effectively proves that there is no guy out there who's so big or so good at one discipline that he could beat the MMA champ.

We knew this already. So the answer is, "No, it doesn't prove anything." There ought to be no debating that Fedor should be fighting other proven MMA heavyweights.
Rush
1/2/08 1:51:27PM

Posted by kevietre

Like Karo said If you put giants in front of this guy he will crush them. Choi has only had one fight which isint enough experience to escape that arm bar. Had he faught a more experienced, well rounded fighter he may have not gotten the arm bar.

Your number of MMA fights and experience in the ring have little to do with your ability to escape a sub attempt when it is made buy an elite fighter. Just ask Matt Hughes.

I find it curious that people call all/most of Fedor's opponents jokes. If Fedor beat Randy I wonder how many people would say that Randy was over the hill.
Pitbull09
1/2/08 2:00:04PM

Posted by fullerene

I'd say "yes', not so much for his career but for the supremacy of MMA training vs. other fighting styles (on their own). I think his collection of victories over "freak shows" and "one-dimensional" strikers/grapplers effectively proves that there is no guy out there who's so big or so good at one discipline that he could beat the MMA champ. He's beaten two guys who are over 350 pounds (Zulu, Choi), two K-1 champs (Hunt, Choi), two Olympic wrestlers (Coleman, Lindland), one Olympic judoka (Ogawa) and one ADCC champ (Arona).

All of them had limitations as MMA fighters, but the fact that he exposed those limitations is good for the credibility of the sport IMO. I also wonder if any other MMA fighter could have run through that collection of limited fighters without a single loss due to style matchups.

In a way I agree with you but the problem is, that was already established in UFC 1 when Gracie beat everyone. I think it does the MMA world no help to see the claimed "#1 p4p greatest figther" fighter unskilled and one dimension fighters and think its ok.

I think I never liked most of Prides fights because they were freak show fights that should be obvious to an MMA fan who would win. If Fedor is helping the MMA world by doing this, I say that he sacrificed his name as the best along with signing that M-1 contract.

I think its overhyped to just to say if a guy is over 350 lbs, its a big accomplishment to beat him. Beating up an overweight guy never seemed to me as an accomplishment.
Pitbull09
1/2/08 2:02:39PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by kevietre

Like Karo said If you put giants in front of this guy he will crush them. Choi has only had one fight which isint enough experience to escape that arm bar. Had he faught a more experienced, well rounded fighter he may have not gotten the arm bar.

Your number of MMA fights and experience in the ring have little to do with your ability to escape a sub attempt when it is made buy an elite fighter. Just ask Matt Hughes.

I find it curious that people call all/most of Fedor's opponents jokes. If Fedor beat Randy I wonder how many people would say that Randy was over the hill.

I wouldnt say Randy is over the hill, I think his fight with Gonzaga was probrually where I saw him at him prime when it came to his body. The fights before Sylvia, Couture jsut didnt look like the same fighter as he is now and I would never see Couture beating Fedor any time before 06./
tuvok500
1/2/08 2:10:06PM

Posted by Pitbull09

Posted by fullerene

In a way I agree with you but the problem is, that was already established in UFC 1 when Gracie beat everyone. I think it does the MMA world no help to see the claimed "#1 p4p greatest figther" fighter unskilled and one dimension fighters and think its ok.

I think I never liked most of Prides fights because they were freak show fights that should be obvious to an MMA fan who would win. If Fedor is helping the MMA world by doing this, I say that he sacrificed his name as the best along with signing that M-1 contract.

I think its overhyped to just to say if a guy is over 350 lbs, its a big accomplishment to beat him. Beating up an overweight guy never seemed to me as an accomplishment.

Yeah, and also, Royce Gracie submitted the 600 pds Akebono easely even by being under him.
giants and big guys are slow and easy to beat if you know there weekness.
Bob Sapp was submitted by big Nog as soon as they hitted the canvas, and Sapp was also summitted by another guy in 2 min very easely and after that they gave Sapp only real cans who are willing to be punch non stop for a 1 $ !! lol

it was already a joke to have Choi as the opponent, please peoples don't continue to make joke by trying to give Choi a sudden MMA credibility because he was facing Fedor.
to be honest i really thing that the 155 pds BJ Penn would have also submitted Choi easely.

zephead
1/2/08 2:38:29PM
Royce was beating people alot bigger then him. And these guys were like 58-0 in fights that were to the death. Dudes that could touch you and stop your heart
Rush
1/2/08 2:49:16PM

Posted by zephead

Dudes that could touch you and stop your heart

Those techniques scare me.
fullerene
1/2/08 4:11:09PM
You guys are talking to a better crowd than I am. I bet in the last 12 months I've heard each of these things from people who are casual fans of MMA:
* Tim Sylvia (or Semmy Schilt or Vitali Klitshko) will beat XXXX because he is so big
* MMA champion XXXX would lose if he ever fought a real championship level striker
* MMA champion XXXX would lose if he ever fought an Olympic wrestler/judoka

Khaos
1/2/08 4:11:46PM
I think it doesn't prove anything, and I agree with Tim Sylvia calling him a pussy, then going on too say, top stay on top, you have to fight the top(fighters).
DutchRebelP
1/3/08 8:19:32AM
idont knwo which Nog-Sapp fight you saw but Big Nog took some punishment before he submitted Bob Sapp in round 2 if im not wrong..?!

So he submitted him the firts time they got on the ground??? homie do your homework and watch the fight. And Choiaint the best mma artist but his size and strenght makes it difficult for every opponent, but offcourse yall ufc gays friend would kill him before the fight started, right???

You get in the ring my friend, i bet YOU will die before you will fight
mrsmiley
1/3/08 9:57:21AM
If I remember right,the Sapp/Nog fight was a war.Sapp was powerboming Nog I think.It's been a while since i've seen that one.
mrsmiley
1/3/08 9:58:09AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by tuvok500

As amazing as Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's BJJ is I don't think he could have beaten Choi so quickly. As resourceful as Randy is, I don't think he could have beaten Choi at all. Cro Cop, Kongo and Arlovski would all have difficulty with him. Gonzaga wouldnt be able to submit him in two minutes. Hunt could outstrike him over the course of a fight, but no one in the world other than Fedor could have dispatched Choi in 2 minutes.

So the Korean lacks skills. 130lbs is a huge difference. To beat someone who outweighs you by 130lbs, and to do it in 2 minutes is a massive feat, no matter how much experience Choi has. His size alone makes his dangerous.

I 100% agree!