when does fedor retire???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » when does fedor retire???
TheHitmanTL
9/17/07 10:04:23PM
dont u think that if he doesnt sign with the ufc hell get bored of beating useless opponents?? how long before he retires? id say within the next couple years if he doesnt sign with the ufc
cmill21
9/17/07 10:05:48PM
Even if he signs with the UFC he'll retire at about 32-33.
Naturaldisaster
9/18/07 12:50:20AM
maybe he already did retire and we just don't know it yet lol. Im just playin. but I mean the guy needs to make up his mind soon about what hes gonna do. I wanna see him fight again. but I mean if your a real mma fighter with passion for the sport then fighting little shows here and there will still help you out.
cmill21
9/18/07 1:27:18AM
I've heard reporst he'll be making his decision by the end of this month. I don't know where he'll sign, probly K-1 or the UFC. I'm happy with either, because he'll draw talent to that org. He doesn't need to fight every 3 months, he's able to take off long periods of time and come back and fight the exact same. He's like a robot in that respect, he's of the russian school of drilling things into the brain so it's second nature, he knows what to do in all the situations he's trained in.
ac_gi
9/18/07 1:28:46AM
Fedor is overrated. After seeing some of his opponents look like B level fighters in the UFC, he is no longer the man in my eyes. Sign, and prove me wrong Fedor... Please.
(But man, does he look good against middle wieghts. )
Aether
9/18/07 4:31:13AM

Posted by ac_gi

Fedor is overrated. After seeing some of his opponents look like B level fighters in the UFC, he is no longer the man in my eyes. Sign, and prove me wrong Fedor... Please.

Rofl... What a joke.
cmill21
9/18/07 9:42:43AM

Posted by ac_gi

Statements such as these are annoying for two reasons. 1) You of all people should know that is not Mirko Cro Cop fighting in the UFC, something is up mentally. 2) The UFC caters to strong grapplers. Fedor's ok at grappling.
DCRage
9/18/07 9:57:54AM
If he doesn't sign with UFC I could see BodogFight as a fallback option. Calvin Ayre has the money to compete with Mark Cuban and Zuffa, plus when he gave Fedor a fight it was under what is now one of his big demands-a fight held in Russia. True, there probably isn't anyone they could throw at him right away without it being a catch fight (unless maybe a LHW is willing to move up like Lindland from MW) but it could be someone they can further build around.
nubby
9/18/07 11:10:41AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by ac_gi

Statements such as these are annoying for two reasons. 1) You of all people should know that is not Mirko Cro Cop fighting in the UFC, something is up mentally. 2) The UFC caters to strong grapplers. Fedor's ok at grappling.

I thought he is supposed to be a god at grappling? I agree that I believe he is overrated. I'm pretty sure that Nogueira will be going up against Nogueira for the title opportunity but I believe he will lose to Arlovski. Arlovski will come in and fight Couture and lose. At that point the Heavy weight division will be in an almost identical position it was in before all the pride heavy weights started coming in.
LR
9/18/07 11:17:53AM
Wow, the tentativeness to give Fedor some credit is slowing slipping ever month he doesn't fight. Fedor doesn't really grapple. He's a defensive grappler, which is exactly what Sambo is used for. It's a defensive skillset. But when he does use it on his back, the transition is so seamless and quick that he is unmatched in the MMA world today. His striking is pretty damn good because he throws with such authority and power. That's where I could see him get beat, on his feet. But even when he's been rocked, he reverts and transitions to that defensive Sambo and submits people at will. It's a very good fallback skill, especially when he's been doing it since he was in elementary school.

I think Arvloski has a better chance at Couture than people think. Arvloski has a Sambo defense to the clinch, but his striking is very good. He has a weak chin though, Werdum slapped him wobbly, so I think Couture could definitely clinch and dirty box him wobbly and end it. Arvloski's Sambo is decent, but he stopped competing in Combat Sambo tournaments way earlier than Fedor ever did. He went to juniors and won, but that was it. So his skill level is much lower, and his striking is more of the concentration.
loonytnt
9/18/07 1:02:07PM
ive heard so many things about fedor now that i really dont care if he signs or not, it be good if he did but if he doesnt no lose to the UFC
cmill21
9/18/07 6:42:46PM

Posted by nubby

Posted by cmill21

Posted by ac_gi

I thought he is supposed to be a god at grappling? I agree that I believe he is overrated. I'm pretty sure that Nogueira will be going up against Nogueira for the title opportunity but I believe he will lose to Arlovski. Arlovski will come in and fight Couture and lose. At that point the Heavy weight division will be in an almost identical position it was in before all the pride heavy weights started coming in.

*Shakes head*
I don't get how you can continue to say garbage like this.
hathcock32
9/18/07 7:02:01PM
C-mill why do you always have excuses for Cro-Cop. Unless he drops to 205 his career at HW will consist of a gatekeeper
cmill21
9/18/07 8:39:38PM

Posted by hathcock32

C-mill why do you always have excuses for Cro-Cop. Unless he drops to 205 his career at HW will consist of a gatekeeper

Hahaha, yeah he's done nothing at HW. What excuses have I made? It's not really an excuse saying he's not fighting like he did in PRIDE is it? Not sure what you talking about man, this is a fedor thread and I've been telling people to stop using Mirko as an example for why fedor will fail in the UFC. As you'll see saying Fedor will fail in the UFC because Mirko did is like saying he'd succeed in K-1 because Mirko did.
hook_tothe_body
9/18/07 8:59:13PM
All this Mirko talk is stupid. Cro Cop is such a good striker, give him a ring to kickbox in and he would be a million times better than he is in a cage.

Plus like c-mill said before; he thinks the problem with Mirko is something mental, and I agree. I honestly think Mirko has as good of a chance as anybody to bounce back and start winning again.

But anyway, this is a Fedor thread.

All these people bashing Fedor, you got nothing. The guy has one loss on his record ... he's beaten the best of the best, and I'm not even going to bother listing who Fedor has beaten because you all know ... and Mirko doing bad in the UFC has nothing to do with Fedor, and how Fedor will perform in the cage of the UFC.

And Nogueiras debut UFC fight against Herring was awesome. Nogueira had awesome boxing in that fight. Beautiful crisp punches, nice jab, he's a great boxer. Through that in with some of the best submission skills in MMA (which we all know he has, regardless of weather he showed that in his UFC debut or not) and I think Nogueira will most definitely be UFC Heavyweight Champion some day.

I mean, we've seen Nogueira fight in PRIDE. In most of his fights (when he's on the ground) you can count thirty seconds, and within those thirty seconds he's gone for a submission. Sometimes he's gone for two submissions within thirty seconds, he's constantly working on top, or off his back.

So just because Nogueira had an okay UFC debut compared to how we usually see Nogueira fight, doesn't mean Fedor sucks.
ac_gi
9/18/07 11:09:51PM
Man, I'm getting jumped pretty bad for saying that Fedor is overrated, and he is. I never said he is a bad fighter. He is clearly one of the best in the world. Some of you argue Fedor's godliness like he is your child.

Fighters that Fedor has beaten since 2005... Mirko Filipovic, Zuluzinho, Coleman, Hunt and a middle weight. I think there is a valid argument that he MAY not be the greatest fighter in the history of the world. Again, I would love for him to sign with the UFC and prove his standing. You can be the best and still be overrated.
cmill21
9/18/07 11:44:06PM

Posted by ac_gi

Man, I'm getting jumped pretty bad for saying that Fedor is overrated, and he is. I never said he is a bad fighter. He is clearly one of the best in the world. Some of you argue Fedor's godliness like he is your child.

Fighters that Fedor has beaten since 2005... Mirko Filipovic, Zuluzinho, Coleman, Hunt and a middle weight. I think there is a valid argument that he MAY not be the greatest fighter in the history of the world. Again, I would love for him to sign with the UFC and prove his standing. You can be the best and still be overrated.

Well who would you say is the best right now? I don't really care if you pick someone else, I see arguments(valid ones) for other guys, I just think Fedor's is the best case.
Pitbull09
9/18/07 11:55:50PM
I think the better question to talk about now is when he signs with UFC. Im seriously thinking hes dodging Couture and trying to wait it out until Randy-
A. Loses the title
B. Retires
C. Seems like hes getting to old and losing his edge in recent defenses

Im losing more and more respect for Fedor each day cause he is preventing the biggest fight n MMA history to protect a undefeated record. At this rate, i could care less when he retires, as long as i get to see him fight Couture.
ac_gi
9/19/07 12:05:03AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by ac_gi

Well who would you say is the best right now? I don't really care if you pick someone else, I see arguments(valid ones) for other guys, I just think Fedor's is the best case.

I think Fedor is the best. I just think that the gap between him, Couture and Barnett are closer than some think.
cmill21
9/19/07 1:33:21AM

Posted by Pitbull09

I think the better question to talk about now is when he signs with UFC. Im seriously thinking hes dodging Couture and trying to wait it out until Randy-
A. Loses the title
B. Retires
C. Seems like hes getting to old and losing his edge in recent defenses

Im losing more and more respect for Fedor each day cause he is preventing the biggest fight n MMA history to protect a undefeated record. At this rate, i could care less when he retires, as long as i get to see him fight Couture.

There are verrrry few fighters who dodge other fighters. Fedor woulden't dodge randy, why would he? He fought Mirko in his PRIME! nog in his PRIME! the best of ther best in their PRIME! he's not gunna dodge randy because he's good at game planning. What's his game plan going to be? Cut him(not saying he's unbeatable just a tough one to gameplan)? There aren't to many things to exploit in fedor, cuts are one of them and yeah it could happend but fedor woulden't dodge randy or anyone else.
tomp6581
9/19/07 5:04:31AM
There plenty of people to fight for Fedor before he retires!

If he signs with UFC then there is Couture, Arlovski, Gonzaga, Kongo, Vera and Silvia.

If he remains a free agent then he could fight Barnett, Kharitonov, Antonia Sivla, Brock Lesnar etc. With the exception of Barnett and Kharitonov the opposition my not be well tested, but these fights would still sell ppv's.

As for Fedor ducking Randy. Dont be silly. All he is doing is making sure he gets the best deal possible, I think a resolution will come if ufc agree to let him compete in the sambo champonships. Randy and Fedor are very similar men in my opinion.
Aether
9/19/07 5:30:01AM

Posted by ac_gi

No you're getting jumped for making the ridiculous point that because some of the people he fought didn't do well in the octagon that their past performances are suddenly erased. It's a nonsensical statement. Does CroCop performing badly NOW mean he was performing badly at the time that Fedor fought him? What does one fighter's opponents slipping long after he has beaten them have to do with that fighter's skill? It has nothing to do with you saying he's overrated, it has to do with your reasoning (or lack thereof) for believing it.

GSP looked like a B-Class fighter against Matt Serra so that means that Matt Hughes is overrated....

makes sense!

jocka
9/19/07 3:03:01PM
I have to agrree with people saying that the HW comming from Pride havent done that great in the UFC but Fedor dodging Randy is stupid, that guy won t dodge anyone. The only important thing to say in this thread is that i CAN'T WAIT TILL HE FIGHTS AGAIN
nate22
9/19/07 5:03:48PM
Fedor is still number one. Unfourtunately nobody has stepped up in the time he's been out to take his place. If Randy fights and wins against either Cheick or Nog, I would place him then at number one over Fedor.

I have yet to see a decent enough argument to dislodge Fedor from the top spot, and lord knows people have really, really tried. i'm still interested to see more though however?

I can't believe how people are disrespecting Fedor for not fighting, when we have no idea about the variables that are truly affecting his decision. Who are we to judge what another man wants to do with his life? He doesn't owe any one of us a damn thing.

Considering the absolutely terrible rates the UFC offer the majority of their fighters it doesn't suprise me the UFC have had trouble bringing Fedor in. They really are exploiting most of the fighters, minus the champions, it's ridiuclous when you look at the ratio between fighters earnings and the income the UFC creates. This income is still and will only ever be because of the fighters and their performances. They are constantly being raped by the UFC and it's something that should hopefully change with more competition in the market(sorry to go off point here)

Finally, Fedor should retire whenever he wants to, whenever he feels ready and if he retires tomorrow, good for him. If he fights five more times then good for us.

ac_gi
9/19/07 11:40:10PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by ac_gi

No you're getting jumped for making the ridiculous point that because some of the people he fought didn't do well in the octagon that their past performances are suddenly erased. It's a nonsensical statement. Does CroCop performing badly NOW mean he was performing badly at the time that Fedor fought him? What does one fighter's opponents slipping long after he has beaten them have to do with that fighter's skill? It has nothing to do with you saying he's overrated, it has to do with your reasoning (or lack thereof) for believing it.

GSP looked like a B-Class fighter against Matt Serra so that means that Matt Hughes is overrated....

makes sense!

I see I've struck a nerve. OK, let me break this down for you in the simplest form possible. If the majority thinks Fedor is God, and I think he is simply the number 1 HW in the world, then he is overrated in my eye's.

GSP's loss was a flash KO. And yes, Matt Hughes is probably overrated too.

The "greatest fighter in the world" accepted a fight with a middle weight. Red Flag.

The only way to judge a fighter is based on opponents. That is why the best fight the best, up and comers fight up and comers, newbies fight newbies.

How do you judge the quality of a fighter? They way he looks? The color of his skin? His nationality? Of course, you base his greatness on the way he performs, and the quality of his opponents. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm big enough to admit it.
cmill21
9/19/07 11:42:56PM

Posted by ac_gi

Posted by Aether

Posted by ac_gi

makes sense!

I see I've struck a nerve. OK, let me break this down for you in the simplest form possible. If the majority thinks Fedor is God, and I think he is simply the number 1 HW in the world, then he is overrated in my eye's.

The "greatest fighter in the world" accepted a fight with a middle weight. Red Flag.

The only way to judge a fighter is based on opponents. That is why the best fight the best, up and comers fight up and comers, newbies fight newbies.

How do you judge the quality of a fighter? They way he looks? The color of his skin? His nationality? Of course, you base his greatness on the way he performs, and the quality of his opponents. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm big enough to admit it.

Machida accepted a fight with a LW, does that demeen his win? No. Hell lots of people go to different weights, doesn't make anyone a bad fighter, a weight is a weight, if they're the same weight at the time of the fight thats all that matters.
ac_gi
9/19/07 11:57:43PM

Posted by cmill21
Machida accepted a fight with a LW, does that demeen his win?

Yes. Fighting and beating a great fighter that should be fighting 2 weight classes down does tarnish the win a bit. It's not the same as fighting a quality fighter at their natural weight class, IMO.
Aether
9/20/07 1:33:04AM

Posted by ac_gi

Posted by Aether

Posted by ac_gi

makes sense!

You completely (and very obviously intentionally) ignored my point. If your original post stated that you think he is overrated simply because other people think he is unbeatable that would be one thing. What you in fact stated is that because CroCop is fighting poorly NOW, it takes away from Fedor's win over him when he was at his prime. The logic in this statement is obviously flawed to the point of being virtually non-existent. CroCop performing badly at this point in time does not suddenly erase the skill with which he fought previously, and in turn does not suddenly erase the merit of Fedor's win over him. You also erroneously stated that he looked good against "middleweights" implying that Matt Lindland is somehow sub-par competition when he fights in a different weightclass than he normally does (When he in fact fought as a heavyweight, not a middleweight.) Nevermind the fact that Matt has traditionally been ranked near the top of his weightclass, holds a silver medal for olympic wrestling, and probably didn't magically forget how to wrestle/fight by putting on some muscle. I've said it before and I'll say it again: BJ Penn was normally a lightweight, Dan Henderson was normally a middleweight. I guess that Rampage is a joke because he beat up on a middleweight earlier this month. Oh wait... that makes no sense, because his skills aren't erased by his ability to gain muscle mass. Dan fought Rampage as a LHW regardless of if he usually fights as a MW and Matt fought Fedor as a HW regardless of if he normally fights at MW. Your point makes no sense.

You can backpeddle and make it sound like you were saying something else if you want, but that isn't what you said in your first post, and it was a ridiculous statement. Here it is again for you if you want to argue your original point instead of completely changing your statement and using the "I'm a bigger man than you" mentality to try to negate the validity of my arguments:

After seeing some of his opponents look like B level fighters in the UFC, he is no longer the man in my eyes. Sign, and prove me wrong Fedor... Please.

Also feel free to point out where you said any of the things you followed up with in this original post to which I was responding, because I don't see any of that in there.
ac_gi
9/20/07 2:12:34AM

Posted by Aether

You completely (and very obviously intentionally) ignored my point. If your original post stated that you think he is overrated simply because other people think he is unbeatable that would be one thing. What you in fact stated is that because CroCop is fighting poorly NOW, it takes away from Fedor's win over him when he was at his prime. The logic in this statement is obviously flawed to the point of being virtually non-existent. CroCop performing badly at this point in time does not suddenly erase the skill with which he fought previously, and in turn does not suddenly erase the merit of Fedor's win over him.

We disagree. The only way to judge a fighter, in my opinion, is based on his performance (which is great) and the quality of his opponents. Cro-Cop and Big Nog looked horrible in the UFC. That has to raise some questions of the validity of his greatness.

Posted by Aether
You also erroneously stated that he looked good against "middleweights" implying that Matt Lindland is somehow sub-par competition when he fights in a different weightclass than he normally does (When he in fact fought as a heavyweight, not a middleweight.) Nevermind the fact that Matt has traditionally been ranked near the top of his weightclass, holds a silver medal for olympic wrestling, and probably didn't magically forget how to wrestle/fight by putting on some muscle. I've said it before and I'll say it again: BJ Penn was normally a lightweight, Dan Henderson was normally a middleweight. I guess that Rampage is a joke because he beat up on a middleweight earlier this month. Oh wait... that makes no sense, because his skills aren't erased by his ability to gain muscle mass. Dan fought Rampage as a LHW regardless of if he usually fights as a MW and Matt fought Fedor as a HW regardless of if he normally fights at MW. Your point makes no sense.

You're joking right? Machida beating BJ would hold the same weight as Sherk beating BJ? No.