If Fedor Had Been In The UFC Instead Of Pride...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » If Fedor Had Been In The UFC Instead Of Pride...
POLL: Would Fedor have lost?
Yes 49% (20)
No 51% (21)
Boo_Radley21
1/23/09 5:50:04PM
He would have lost by now, IMO.

Now before I get flamed or people start arguing with me that he's better than all the UFC heavyweights and blah blah blah, I'm not saying he isn't as skilled as the UFC HW's. And keep in mind this is just my opinion.

I know I've never been a supporter or fan of Fedor, but hear me out. We've seen that one of if not the biggest weakness for Fedor is that he cuts pretty easily. That's where his only loss (I know, I know it was an illegal shot but it's not like it was on purpose) came from. But in PRIDE, there are no elbows allowed. In the UFC, elbows are allowed and are used all the time by wrestlers or anyone who decides to throw one on the ground. They're one of the most effective ground strikes, and what messed up Cro Cop in his fight with Gonzaga. Chances are, if Fedor spent as much time in the UFC as he did in PRIDE, he would have taken some elbows from a big strong wrestler. And that could open up a cut leading to a stoppage.

Again, just my opinion, and no disrespect to Fedor even though I don't really like him. I'll admit he's one of the best fighters in MMA (even though I think he'll lose a couple times before retiring unless he retires after his first loss to Arlovski)
Jackelope
1/23/09 6:02:51PM
If Fedor were in the UFC he'd be training to defend elbows, so I don't think it would be quite as easy as you might suspect to cut him.

As for cutting easily- there's certainly people with scar tissue and the potential to be cut. However, I don't really believe in people being "cut easily" in the sense that anyone can get severely cut at any time. A grazing elbow can have you spraying blood all over the canvas before you even realize it. I have the scars to prove it. I've been hit in areas by elbows that I've never once been cut before, and a couple hours later I'm getting stitches put in. An elbow can cut anyone at any time.

Now, certainly some people have a bit more of a resistance to cuts than others because their skin is tougher, but I still maintain that anybody can get a severe cut at any time if the elbow lands correctly.
Pookie
1/23/09 6:08:57PM
If Fedor Had Been In The UFC Instead Of Pride... i dont think hed be half the fighter he is today.

The competition he would have faced would have been sub-par compared to what was in pride. I dont think he would have had the same challenges to keep him motivated to get better. For a long time all there was in that division were, Arlovski and Tim Sylvia.
Who else? Asseurio Silva?
Maybe 1 fight with frank mir before the bike accident takes him out of the division.
Brandon Vera?

Do any of these fighters look like they could put fedor on his back and elbow him to start-up the fight ending cut?

UFC back in the days just wasnt nearly as talented as Pride was in the HW division.
mkiv9secsupra
1/23/09 6:40:21PM
I dont remember seeing anyone in Pride control him long enough to deliver effective ground strikes so i dont think anyone in the UFC would have either. Plus I would think with fedor being so proficient at everything he does that he'd be able to defend against elbows.
aaa9erh8er
1/23/09 6:43:26PM
i agree with pookie in the fact the who could have taken him down and elbowed him. not alot of HW are really known for that. i dont think most of his fights would have been very exciting but i think he woulda still been the force of all forces in the Div
seanfu
1/23/09 7:17:34PM
The cage means a lot, the pace is entirely different, and being on your back against the fence screws and offense from bottom. So he wouldn't look as spectacular as he has in the past, but Couture might have been able to take him out, Lesnar, in a year or two, could pose a threat in a cage, Old Arlovski always had that 1 in 10 shot of a murder blow out of nowhere.

I can't explain it, but in a cage in any organization you look at, don't the fights always have slower paces and a little more room for error?

I think by far Fedor would have been the greatest HW to ever enter the octagon, but at the same time, I believe his chances of getting caught in some way, or fighting a guy who could use the fence to beat him would be high.

At least if you're saying from like 2003 to 2009, you gotta think it's just an eventuality in that time frame, fighting a minimum 3 times a year.
RampageOwnedYou
1/23/09 9:02:45PM
Nothing against you man, but you got no clue what your talking about.

He is by far the best fighter in the world hands down.

And you will see tommorow when he beats Andrei to dust!.

No HW can come close to beating him today...maybe Josh, but i highly doubt it.
tdietel01
1/23/09 9:03:49PM
maybe randy and his dirty boxing? thats the best i can think of. i think lesnar could hold him down for a bit, not saying lesnar would win but i think he has the best chance. I agree with whoever said it that pride had the best HW contenders for fedor though. with the exception of randy AA and timmay
EvenFlow
1/24/09 2:28:21AM
He would have had a bigger name in the states therefore he would have fought in Pride's or against them eventually. I honestly think he would still be undefeated and imho he would be regarded higher or even lower depending upon the circumstances that come in fighting. I just feel that the Pride's HW's were a little better in their haydays, there are guys that could have given Fedor trouble...maybe, he hasnt had trouble in a very long time but always recovers and he has what it takes to be the best, the best plan, and I doubt he would have had much trouble in the states as well.
Kpro
1/24/09 2:34:42AM
He would have lost at some point IMO, and he would have a larger legacy even if he had lost. If he'd faced Barnett in PRIDE, the second part might not hold true.
mrsmiley
1/24/09 7:23:20AM

Posted by tdietel01

maybe randy and his dirty boxing? thats the best i can think of. i think lesnar could hold him down for a bit, not saying lesnar would win but i think he has the best chance. I agree with whoever said it that pride had the best HW contenders for fedor though. with the exception of randy AA and timmay

I think you're right about Randy and his dirty boxing,but it might have ended up like the whole deal with Sylvia.

As for Lesnar,I think that fight would go alot like the Barnett/Couture fight.
Barnett being Fedor,Brock being Randy.
cmill21
1/24/09 8:48:48AM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by tdietel01

I think you're right about Randy and his dirty boxing,but it might have ended up like the whole deal with Sylvia.

I dunno, to do the old dirty boxing you have to be close, and if Randy gets thats close he's going to end up on the ground, I never thought Randy could win that fight.
mrsmiley
1/24/09 3:15:19PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by tdietel01

I dunno, to do the old dirty boxing you have to be close, and if Randy gets thats close he's going to end up on the ground, I never thought Randy could win that fight.

Yeah I see what you mean.Fedor could have easily dropped Couture in the clinch phase
telnights
1/24/09 4:54:27PM
I just thought I would point out back in the day the UFC had a lot of great HWs in their prime. Barnett (who has gotten even better), Mir(pre crash), Rizzo, Couture, Rodriguez, Randleman, Coleman, Sylvia, and Belfort.
EvenFlow
1/24/09 5:35:19PM

Posted by telnights

I just thought I would point out back in the day the UFC had a lot of great HWs in their prime. Barnett (who has gotten even better), Mir(pre crash), Rizzo, Couture, Rodriguez, Randleman, Coleman, Sylvia, and Belfort.

The problem with this is none of them are on Fedor's level, not saying he cant lose but just another thing to think about.
cmill21
1/24/09 5:37:43PM

Posted by telnights. Barnett (who has gotten even better).

I want to see this fight so bad!
Pookie
1/24/09 6:26:59PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by telnights

The problem with this is none of them are on Fedor's level, not saying he cant lose but just another thing to think about.

I wouldnt even say not on his level, but other than couture & barnett(who i had honestly forgotten about in my earlier post) they are all one dimensional

Rodriguez was like 2 dimensional(bjj&wrestling) but fedor pretty much made his name by beating one dimensional type fighters who were some of the very best in their respective art.