Does Fedor just want nothing to do with the UFC because his potential for legacy damage?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Does Fedor just want nothing to do with the UFC because his potential for legacy damage?
Next Page »
CanadianCripplr
8/7/09 4:16:23AM
I know Im going to get mocked by saying this and am admittedly not an expert on Fedors career .Is there a chance he just doesnt want to fight Brock? Is it out of the question that he does not want to tarnish his legacy as the best p4p and heavy in the history of mma by losing to a guy like Brock?
Im not sayin I think this but could it be that he wants to protect his legacy more than make huge cash by taking on brock?
Im by no means a Lesnar nuthugger but the guy could strike fear in just about anyone....
I just want to know what the core Fedor fans think cause its a dissapointment to me so they must feel the same...
hippysmacker
8/7/09 4:42:56AM
I don't know if your trolling, or have just never seen Fedor fight. As pissed as i am at him ( and far more at M-1) right now It's inconceivable to insinuate that he is scared. It just borders on fighter bashing as well, which is against our rules. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you are new to MMA, or at least to seeing Fedor fight . Heck if its a size thing Hong Man Choi blows Lesnar out of the water there. If you had seen who has fought, and defeated, I can't imagine you asking this question. To answer your question- NO

joshryanshepherd
8/7/09 5:06:14AM
Your right man there is a chance. And it has crossed my mind if he is scared. I doubt that's the case but its definitely possible.

And to be honest Brock scared the hell out of me at 100.
ohnougotme
8/7/09 7:02:35AM
Trust me,Fedor is many things and scared is not 1 of them!
MiniMan
8/7/09 9:09:32AM
I dont think he is scared of anyone, We all know that.

But... Scared of damaging his legacy, Maybe. What does he have to gain from fighting in the UFC?? Keeps a few internet bashings from happening. I doubt he cares. If he came to the UFC and lost, In a instant, People would be writing him off.

The man just cant win at the moment!

(I honestly think he is gonna use his 3 M-1 fights up and sign!!)
jae_1833
8/7/09 3:34:30PM
After 3 more M-1 Fights I don't think they will be able to find any quality HWs for him to fight that he hasn't already. Barnett and A Overeem are the last ones I can think of offhand that I would really care to see him mach up against. The rest of the high potential match-ups are in the UFC IMO.

Edit: I think Monson could be a potential 3rd fight knowing that he has been 9-2 since leaving the UFC.
Ricks350z
8/7/09 6:55:10PM
Asking if anyone thinks a fighter is scared is borderline fighter bashing? omg. i'm gonna be banned in less than 5 minutes.

I truly believe that Fedor doesnt want to fight Lesnar. I completely dislike (to be nice) Lesnar and want nothing else but for someone to take his title. I just dont think Fedor wants any of that. Lesnar is big, strong, and very quick for his size. We all saw what he did to Mir and Mir is no slouch.
So why then did he turn down all that money? and to fight the best fighters in the world.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions and ur entitled to say i dont know what i'm talking about. it's ok. go ahead.
Enjoy the weekend fights!!!!!!
ncordless
8/7/09 7:02:15PM

Posted by Ricks350z

Asking if anyone thinks a fighter is scared is borderline fighter bashing? omg. i'm gonna be banned in less than 5 minutes.

I truly believe that Fedor doesnt want to fight Lesnar. I completely dislike (to be nice) Lesnar and want nothing else but for someone to take his title. I just dont think Fedor wants any of that. Lesnar is big, strong, and very quick for his size. We all saw what he did to Mir and Mir is no slouch.
So why then did he turn down all that money? and to fight the best fighters in the world.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions and ur entitled to say i dont know what i'm talking about. it's ok. go ahead.
Enjoy the weekend fights!!!!!!

You don't know what you are talking about
tdietel01
8/7/09 8:32:51PM
I dont know about scared physically, but def doesnt want to ruin his legacy. I could see brock beating fedor. We all saw how HMC was on him and doing ok till he gave up the arm. does anyone think if brock gets him down he will give up an arm that easy? i highly doubt it. I have no doubts fedor can beat him on the feet but if lesnar gets on top i think it is game over for Fedor.

does anyone know if he is considering retirement? if i was currently undefeated and was consedering retiring i wouldnt come to the ufc and fight in a whole new atmosphere! I think the undefeated record plus being in a cage plus fighting lesnar just doesnt sound very good to him.
SociopathX
8/7/09 9:48:04PM
i think Fedor not fighting in the UFC has more to do with people behind the scenes we are not hearing nor seeing.
anomoly
8/8/09 12:43:21AM
he might not be afraid... but i don't think that he is very smart....

Ok i get that he's a business man and he's trying to worry about that side of things, however if he was smart, he would sign a deal with UFC for a few fights... whoop some ass and get his name rolling in the biggest MMA company on the planet.
A lot of hardcore MMA folk know about other companies but to the average person only knows UFC... to them UFC IS MMA.

yeah he might loose some money at the start... but his name (if he proves in the octagon) will be even more lucrative than it is right now.

If strike force goes under or they run out of good fights for him, he would have wasted his prime and that would be sad.

CanadianCripplr
8/8/09 3:14:16AM

Posted by hippysmacker

I don't know if your trolling, or have just never seen Fedor fight. As pissed as i am at him ( and far more at M-1) right now It's inconceivable to insinuate that he is scared. It just borders on fighter bashing as well, which is against our rules. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you are new to MMA, or at least to seeing Fedor fight . Heck if its a size thing Hong Man Choi blows Lesnar out of the water there. If you had seen who has fought, and defeated, I can't imagine you asking this question. To answer your question- NO

no I was not trolling. I admittedly am not an expert on fedor but am not a noob to mma by any stretch. I am not at the level of many here but I do follow it closely. I have seen some of his fights but dont know the man like we get to know all the UFC guys who get super exposure. I was not bashing but simply asking if he could be scared? I dont see why thats bashing. Maybe hes not scared to fight and maybe take a beating and win, but it has to be on his mind that his legacy could be spoiled because some absolutely less talented and experienced fighter could use his sheer size strength and wrestling skills to get him down, hold him down and punch him like he did to mir.
That would be a crappy way for a champion like him to be remembered by all the " new " mainstream MMa fans who dont know what he has done.
To me, the sight of HMC doesnt really strike fear cept his overall look might cause you to shudder at the freakiness...Brock breathing fire and staring you down on the otherhand could be scary and quite worrisome IMO.
Do you think Mir was scared in the minutes before the bell rang? Ill bet he was a little worried about how it was gonna go, and how stupid he was gonna look if he was beaten badly after all his talk.
I guess I shoulda just asked if he didnt sign with UFC cause he didnt really want to fight brock. It just came to me that its a possibility.
CanadianCripplr
8/8/09 3:34:36AM
I changed thed topic title to something more politically correct to board standards. Its basically what I meant as my first post is unchanged
cmill21
8/8/09 4:59:12AM
Yeah Fedor is scared....Serious? a joke?
mkiv9secsupra
8/8/09 8:08:48AM
I think the correct question to ask is, "Did Lesnar sign with the UFC because he was scared to fight Barnett and Fedor, who are/were both consensus top 3 HWs?"

If anyone was scared i would think it would be Brock....

To answer your question though, HELL NO
AchillesHeel
8/8/09 10:01:10AM

Posted by tdietel01

I dont know about scared physically, but def doesnt want to ruin his legacy. I could see brock beating fedor. We all saw how HMC was on him and doing ok till he gave up the arm. does anyone think if brock gets him down he will give up an arm that easy? i highly doubt it. I have no doubts fedor can beat him on the feet but if lesnar gets on top i think it is game over for Fedor.

There's simply nothing to suggest that either of these things is true. Why would he have agreed to fight Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett if he was worried about his "legacy"? And Choi wasn't the first guy to have some success against Fedor. Just off the top of my head, Mark Hunt, Kevin Randleman, and Kazuyuki Fujita all had him in trouble.
prozacnation1978
8/8/09 10:27:26AM
fedor is scared of no one, but i do think that his manager had something to do with him not going to the ufc
will he ever go to the ufc?? i honestly think no,
unless he runs through every dream and strikeforce heavyweight out there, i do think strikeforce will sign antonio silva as well as josh barnett eventually
thunderstruck
8/8/09 12:30:10PM
i am somewhat of a fedor nuthugger ...i hate brock lesnar , but even i would have to say that the thread starters thoughts have crossed my mnd as well . i feel maybe not so much just lesnar , but a few ufc young guns as wel .c ain v /carwin /lesnar /mir ....i think any of these guys on any given night could upset fedor ...and could very well have discouraged fedor or maybe fedors management from taking the ufc deal for fear of there p4p best ever man could lose and tarnish his legacy . fedor is extremely gifted and somewhat fearless in appearence , but who can say for sure what exactly hes thinking except fedor himself . as much as i hate it as a fan , if i was in his shoes , i probably would do the same . i dunno if id be over enthusiastic with being thrown in there with a 300 lb gorilla whos on a mission ...i hate lesnar and think hes a total retard , especially after 100 , but even despite that i cant deny the mans very intimadating .the fact that hes improving every fight makes him even scarier .i smiled that hard when mir tapped him i almost broke my cheek bones , but i fear its gonna be a long time before i experience that joy again , sadly .
slapshot
8/8/09 3:56:08PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I dont know anymore Hippy, after listening to the strikeforce M1 conference call. I think people need to at least put the blame where it belongs and thats squarely on Fador and not M1.

I herd Fador say he makes the final decision and that he was involved in the negotiations with the UFC, I also herd M1's top executive basically say we dont care about fans in the US and that the fans in other country's are more important.

Dana likes to exaggerate and he often goes over the top but I dont think he's telling a lie about Fador's offer. They (M1 and Fedor) said a lot of things that dont add up and I'm not willing to say it was Brock he's afraid of but I do think the level of competition in the UFC is either something that drives you to sign or drives you away.

I dont think Fador or M1 ever entertained the idea of signing with the UFC and the co promo deal is just one aspect of why I feel that way, IMO they just used the UFC for free press.

For me, I felt the way they attempted to dismiss Brock as a MMA joke and say he's not even a worthy opponent smacks of something, Im not saying its 100% fear but he's defiantly not seeing the bigger picture. The statment that Brock was a product of the UFC PR machine in the context they said it was highly disrespectful and a bit ignorant. The UFC is a PR machine but they never put there money behind chumps you have to be marketable in the first place or they will pass you over.

At the end of the conference Fador said he had to do whats best for him and not his fans but thats in direct conflict with what he did do, signing with strikeforce was largely beneficial to M1 and minimally beneficial for Fedor with the backlash of fans I would not shy away from saying it ended up being not only the the less beneficial signing but big PR problem as well.

The saving grace to this for Fedor is that strikeforce events are not PPV's so I have no doubt Fedor will hold enough interest that people will tune in for his fights. If you look at the other side of this, if Fador stomps a hole in his challengers in strikeforce and also gets more exposer to the US casual fans he will be more marketable and be able to demand more.

It all just left me with a bad aftertaste and now whatever respect I had for him as a fan is gone.
cmill21
8/8/09 7:38:24PM

CanadianCripplr
8/8/09 9:21:54PM
possibly could be as simple as he doesnt want to work for a company where he will be told who and when he will fight but wants more control over his path, chosing who he fights and when somewhat like boxing. He wants to be his own man, not Danas.
CanadianCripplr
8/8/09 9:30:15PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

I think the correct question to ask is, "Did Lesnar sign with the UFC because he was scared to fight Barnett and Fedor, who are/were both consensus top 3 HWs?"

If anyone was scared i would think it would be Brock....

To answer your question though, HELL NO

now thats crazy, hes absofrickinlutly not smart enough to be scared of Fedor...
StriderXero
8/8/09 9:45:05PM
people were saying the samething when they first thried to sign him. Something about in his contract supposably he did want to fight Tim Sylvia........we all saw how that ended.

But I dont a guy who shows no emotions at a staredown would be scared of Brock.
raymurda
8/9/09 1:30:50AM

Posted by tdietel01

does anyone know if he is considering retirement? if i was currently undefeated and was consedering retiring i wouldnt come to the ufc and fight in a whole new atmosphere! I think the undefeated record plus being in a cage plus fighting lesnar just doesnt sound very good to him.

he has 1 loss. DNF due to a cut.
CanadianCripplr
8/21/09 12:21:40AM
I finally have learnt the real history of Fedor. Very funy read
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Fedor_Emelianenko
Sinister
8/21/09 12:55:06AM

Posted by joshryanshepherd

Your right man there is a chance. And it has crossed my mind if he is scared. I doubt that's the case but its definitely possible.

And to be honest Brock scared the hell out of me at 100.

Whether people like it or not, Brock is the model for next gen HWs. His build is actually meant for the division as all he has is muscle (not like most 265ers) and he has a great wrestling background. Not to mention his head is a fiire hydrant.

Fedor is the best HW we have seen in MMA (possibly best fighter also) but there is a generation gap. Its like Liddel and Hughes fighter now. They were the best in their era, but eventually the sport evolves and throws out the old.

I think Fedor could beat Brock but if he didnt, people wouldnt remember Fedor as much because of that blemish on his record and people would constantly blab that Lesnar is the best HW ever.

Sinister
8/21/09 12:56:43AM

Posted by raymurda

Posted by tdietel01

he has 1 loss. DNF due to a cut.

Noone counts the loss cause everyone knows it was even worse than the Anthony Johnson eye poke decision.
Sinister
8/21/09 1:07:26AM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by hippysmacker

For me, I felt the way they attempted to dismiss Brock as a MMA joke and say he's not even a worthy opponent smacks of something, Im not saying its 100% fear but he's defiantly not seeing the bigger picture. The statment that Brock was a product of the UFC PR machine in the context they said it was highly disrespectful and a bit ignorant. The UFC is a PR machine but they never put there money behind chumps you have to be marketable in the first place or they will pass you over.

I was pissed also when they said Bret Rodgers is a better challenge for Fedor since he is 10-0 compared to Lesnar 3-1. Lesnar would rip Rodgers freaking head off if they were in the same ring. It sounded like Don King BS where they rather fight a guy with a padded record to make them look good compared to a legit Top 5 HW.

What Fedor is becoming more and more scared of is how UFC is taking every potential matchup he has outside of the UFC. Pride dies, Affliction dies, and eventually Strikeforce will die. Fedor is eventually going to have to sign or fight no names at the end of his career.
george112
8/21/09 2:21:28AM
Give the guy a break already

Veprman
8/21/09 8:08:58AM
Its all to do with M1. Fedor had no choice. He can only fight with people willing to co-promote because he has a contract with M1. Be happy Scott Coker is willing to lose a lot of money to have Fedor. I think we will see Fedor in the UFC once he fulfills is contract with M1.
Pages: [1] 2 3