If Fedor loses his next fight.......

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » If Fedor loses his next fight.......
Taylor8766
3/14/10 7:01:40PM
If Fedor loses his next fight how far would he drop down the rankings, considering alot of peole have him ranked #1 and the next closes fighter in the HW division thats not in the UFC is Overeem he my be around 8-10 slot, so I was just curious if he lost his next fight to Overeem where he would sit in the rankings, I could see him sliding down to 3-5.
karn501
3/14/10 7:05:29PM
Blasphemy
hate4thestate
3/14/10 7:17:31PM
if fedor loses his next fight he will still be number one. if fedor loses his next 5 fights he will be number one. i actually think if fedor loses he might go up in the rankings. hell jump to a number higher then one. our primitive minds cant even imagine this number but it exsits. this number will only be known when fedor exposes it to us.

in all seriousness i dont think one loss negates what hes done. i think he should still be considered number one. but it really depends on who he loses too. he loses to werdum ehhh maybe a drop. overeem, probably not. overeem is a murderer. he even cracked fujitas huge dome so idk. but if he loses more then one id say a considerable drop maybe down to 3-5.
mrsmiley
3/14/10 7:25:01PM

Posted by Taylor8766

If Fedor loses his next fight how far would he drop down the rankings, considering alot of peole have him ranked #1 and the next closes fighter in the HW division thats not in the UFC is Overeem he my be around 8-10 slot, so I was just curious if he lost his next fight to Overeem where he would sit in the rankings, I could see him sliding down to 3-5.

It's hard to say. Especially since were talking about Fedor.

If he loses badly then some will call it a fluke.
If he loses a decision some will same it was a BS call.
I would say regardless of how the loss comes he would still be top 3
sparky
3/14/10 7:48:37PM
Taylor8766
3/14/10 8:43:11PM
just curious because Ive heard some people say that he isnt the top HW any more and wont have competition until he goes to the UFC so a loss to Overeem or Werdum which I dont think is gunna happen, but if it does could his rank possibly drop.
sbulldavid
3/14/10 8:44:15PM
I would say he probably drops to 3
postman
3/14/10 9:14:47PM

Posted by hate4thestate

if fedor loses his next fight he will still be number one. if fedor loses his next 5 fights he will be number one. i actually think if fedor loses he might go up in the rankings. hell jump to a number higher then one. our primitive minds cant even imagine this number but it exsits. this number will only be known when fedor exposes it to us.

We shall call it FEDOR!!!
seanfu
3/14/10 9:22:14PM
Fedor won't lose against Werdum. Will not, Will not, Will not.
Jackelope
3/14/10 9:43:57PM
More important than losing- who would earn the right to jump above him? Statistically you should say if Werdum beats him Werdum takes the number one spot. Do you think that would happen? Hell no. Ranking systems are B.S. and this is a perfect example why.
seanfu
3/14/10 10:24:10PM

Posted by Jackelope

More important than losing- who would earn the right to jump above him? Statistically you should say if Werdum beats him Werdum takes the number one spot. Do you think that would happen? Hell no. Ranking systems are B.S. and this is a perfect example why.

or lesnar would be number 1 and werdum would crack top 12 because the ranking systems aren't linear.
Jackelope
3/15/10 12:21:59AM

Posted by seanfu

Posted by Jackelope

or lesnar would be number 1 and werdum would crack top 12 because the ranking systems aren't linear.

Right, but do Lesnar's 5 wins (I think it's 5 or somewhere right around there) Trump an entire career of domination over quality competition including 30+ wins?

Not to mention how do you justify ranking someone like Werdum below a guy he just beat? The whole ranking thing is just messed up. Especially because like you said they aren't even linear
casketcoin
3/15/10 12:27:27AM

It's hard to say. Especially since were talking about Fedor.

If he loses badly then some will call it a fluke.
If he loses a decision some will same it was a BS call.
I would say regardless of how the loss comes he would still be top 3

This is your answer
jae_1833
3/15/10 2:29:58AM
If Fedor losses his next fight........hell will freeze over and monkies will fly out of my butt!!
State_Champ
3/15/10 4:35:54AM

Posted by Taylor8766

If Fedor loses his next fight .......

Does...... Not..... Compute........
Sm0tP0ker
3/15/10 9:39:54AM
the sun would start revolving around the earth
Boo_Radley21
3/15/10 4:57:55PM
People will still swing from his nuts and make excuse after excuse about why he lost...just like Shogun when he lost to Forrest.
Rush
3/17/10 12:04:02AM
I think he would, then Fedor would armbar the rankings and take #1 again.
ncordless
3/17/10 1:08:46AM
He would still be the greatest fighter in the sport's young history.

There is no doubt that Fedor will lose some day... whether it is his next fight or 5 years from now. But regardless of what happens in the future for Fedor, his history has already solidified him as the greatest fighter so far and the King of the 2000-09's.
lohmann
3/17/10 6:42:14AM

Posted by Jackelope

Werdum would deservedly jump ahead of him. I find it awkward to ever rank higher a fighter against somebody they lost to in their last fight, and the same would be for even Fedor Emelianenko. A good, relatively recent example of this occuring was when Paulo Thiago springboarded up the rankings after defeating a top-five Koscheck, who a fight later was put back ahead of Paulo Thiago by most rankers. Gonzaga got some giant rankings jumps after defeating a #2 or #3 CroCop. The best example was the moment in time that Serra sat atop the welterweight rankings but was soundly dethroned after GSP defeated Kos and Hughes. Generally top fighters, especially with the longevity of Fedor, aren't matched up against fighters that are outside the top seven or eight (and when they are, they do not lose), so it's hard to deal with the potential aftermath of a loss to a mid-tier fighter.

Because it would be Werdum, Fedor would probably drop more spots than if he had lost to Rogers, who was coming off a win over a fighter that, at the time, was floating around the top five heavyweights or if he one day loses to Brock Lesnar, who is a consensus top three.

Rankings are difficult to formulate, but I personally find it contrary in nature to have at #1 a fighter that recently lost.

I find it funny that this is the only division where the UFC can not decide who is the bona fide top fighter in the world. In every other case, when there's a dispute at the top, they can solve it by throwing together a fight. Not here, though.

(Fedor's going to beat Werdum ugly.)
CwB
3/17/10 5:33:55PM
Fedor is the son of God, and Chuck Norris would never let his son lose a fight.
Rush
3/17/10 11:43:31PM

Posted by lohmann

Rankings are difficult to formulate, but I personally find it contrary in nature to have at #1 a fighter that recently lost.

But it is also hard to rank a fighter ahead of fighters that they recently lost to as well. i.e. Dos Santos beat Werdum "recently" so would it be right to rank Werdum ahead of him?

Unfortunately, rankings need to be formulated using a complex formula of MMAth and even then it can never satisfy every factor.

If I still did top tens, I would rank according to these rules

1) Is a fighter undefeated and if so, have they defeated people that were in the top ten at the time of the fight?

2) If a fighter has lost, has he avenged that loss? i.e. I really do not count GSPs loss to Serra or Hughes because he avenged those convincingly.

3) If a fighter has beat a top 10 fighter is it a one time thing? i.e. if they only beat that one fighter, I don't consider it a free trip to a spot above the defeated fighter. MMA is too volatile to judge a fighter from one fight. Fighters certainly gain or lose credibility with wins or losses, but I look at fight histories and not judge a fighter on their most recent fight only.

The tough part is how to handle top tens when fighters become inactive. Some people will erase a fighter or add a fighter on a whim. I like to knock them up or down notches over time.

wow, I can't believe I typed that because I didn't mean to go into that detail.