If Fedor Loses, Is Affliction Screwed?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » If Fedor Loses, Is Affliction Screwed?
SmileR
7/15/08 9:22:02PM
Let’s not kid ourselves, MMA fans. Whatever you think of Tim Sylvia, whatever opinion you may have formed based on reading about him in Matt Hughes’ autobiography or seeing him on “Blind Date”, the fact remains that he’s a legitimate top heavyweight. He’s big, he’s strong, his overall game has improved dramatically over the last few years, and while he may not always look great doing it, he knows how to win.

So let’s not pretend that this fight on Saturday is a cakewalk for Fedor Emelianenko. Sylvia is a dangerous opponent for anyone, regardless of where they stand in the heavyweight rankings. But we also can’t pretend that Affliction would look at a Sylvia victory the same way they would a Fedor one.

Let’s start with the obvious reason. The biggest fight on the horizon for Affliction right now is Fedor-Couture. There are roadblocks aplenty at the moment, but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen or that it wouldn’t be a difference-maker in their long term viability. But if Sylvia comes out on top, that match instantly loses a lot of its appeal. Gone is Fedor’s aura of invincibility, his mystique, his innate talent for making any fight seem like history in the making.

But that’s not even the biggest problem. If Fedor loses, that means Sylvia wins. That means you’re stuck with him. Then what?

Link
TWITA
7/15/08 9:34:04PM
Can TIm win??? This fight takes place in a RING not a CAGE - which really takes away Tim's ability to smother and press his opponents against the cage - and he's damn good at it. I just can't see Tim being able to outstrike and not get hurt by Fedor's punching power.

To your point - yes, Affliction will be hurting if Fedor loses. Most people who are buying the PPV want Fedor to win and that Fedor/Couture set. Tim doesn't have a ton of fans and having him as the champ won't win over a bunch of fans.
JimiMak
7/15/08 9:41:32PM
It will almost kill them, if it doesn't finish them off, then they can book the FE loss as a major thing (and "something only Affliction could bring you") or something. There is a small amount of good spin they can put on, the other good thing is they've done so little advertising... they could work more on the next one.

They might make a record for the highest selling rerun on ppv if Fedor gets ko'd early, eh?
juanez13
7/15/08 9:41:58PM
Fedor wont lose
warglory
7/15/08 9:55:13PM
Affliction is catering to Americans whom are not super familiar with Fedor to begin with, so how will it affect them any differently than if he wins? Fedor will have to fight more than once to become a favorable name in this country.
RandyCouture
7/15/08 10:54:33PM
No they will just put barnett against him and tim would get submitted by barnett and theres ur solution to the tim sylvia problem
wolfman
7/15/08 11:04:17PM

Posted by juanez13

Fedor wont loose

You mean lose right, not loose....like say Jenna Jameson's vagina? j/k
Pitbull09
7/15/08 11:19:52PM
If he loses, I say Affliction just hosted the first fight Fedor lost plus they have the contracts to make them have a rematch so either way they make off good. I do agree though that if Fedor lost, it would loss appeal to Fedor/ Coutue.

But in some weird MMA ranking scenario, Fedor loses to Sylvia and then Couture could easily argue Couture as #1 HW even though he would retire right after.
juanez13
7/15/08 11:21:17PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by juanez13

Fedor wont loose

You mean lose right, not loose....like say Jenna Jameson's vagina? j/k

ko-kbo130
7/16/08 12:24:15AM
how would fedor losing make his match with randy less appealing? randy has 8 loses. some o them even coming at LHW. i dont see how a fedor loss would make it any less appealing. IMHO i never saw randy as the best HW in the world. Before his current situation with the UFC and Cro Cop's debocle in the UFC. i always had it 1)Fedor 2) Nog 3) Cro Cop 4) Barnett 5) Randy. Even with a fedor loss it would still be a good match up between the two of them.
ThaAxeMurderer7
7/16/08 2:13:19AM
Tim Sylvia was on blind date?
jkdskinhead
7/16/08 2:35:25AM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Youd have to be blind to date Tim Sylvia

ThaAxeMurderer7
7/16/08 3:26:15AM

Posted by jkdskinhead

Youd have to be blind to date Tim Sylvia

Is that one of those things from "The Hills have eyes" in the background?"
telnights
7/16/08 3:30:09AM

No its "Sloth" from the movie the Goonies.
ThaAxeMurderer7
7/16/08 3:39:13AM

Posted by telnights

How do you know which picture I was talking about? I could have been talking about Goldie
telnights
7/16/08 3:42:20AM

Posted by telnights

How do you know which picture I was talking about? I could have been talking about Goldie

Well I took a guess the funny thing I don't know if its blow up of sloth or a kid wearing the sloth mask. Whats even funnier is Timmy would make a good Sloth.