Fedor leaving M-1, Heading to UFC??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Fedor leaving M-1, Heading to UFC??
ACER
3/6/08 6:58:58PM
Don't consider a UFC fight between Fedor Emelianenko and Randy Couture dead just yet.
With Couture embroiled in a nasty legal dispute with the UFC and Emelianenko tied to M-1 Global's MMA franchise, the heavyweight dream matchup has long seemed to be the world's best bout that would never happen.
Now it could. Apy Echteld, one of Emelianenko's agents, confirmed what a source close to the situation previously told The Magazine: M-1 Global and Emelianenko will part ways some time in the next week, making the Russian a free agent. Divorce negotiations are ongoing right now, with a formal announcement likely for in the next few days. "Officially, yes, Fedor will be a free agent," Echteld says.
Of course, the UFC would have to be willing to re-open negotiations with Emelianenko's management. Previous talks dragged on for almost a year before falling apart amid plenty of name-calling and finger-pointing from both sides. UFC president Dana White was vocal in pinning the blame on Emelianenko's team, saying he never once spoke or met with the fighter. Would the head of the UFC be willing to enter the Fedor fray again? "Absolutely, 100 percent, in a heartbeat," says White. "People think he's the best—I don't, not even close. But if it's somehow possible, I would make it happen."
Reached on Thursday, Echteld was caught off-guard when told that White would be willing to revisit last year's stalemate. But he echoed the UFC's willingness to talk and vowed to speak with White as soon as possible. "We're open to a discussion," says Echteld. "If everybody is willing to put a little wine in the water, then we have something to work with. There is space for this to happen."
A fight involving Emelianenko and Couture would also require considerable fence-mending between Couture and the UFC. Couture has cited the UFC's inability to sign Emelianenko as a key reason for his sudden retirement. And now the two sides are locked in a bitter, months-long battle about the duration and terms of Couture's UFC deal. Over the past month, the situation has seemed to only be deteriorating. That could change if Emelianenko becomes available.
"I like Randy, I genuinely like to think he's a good guy," White says. "As much as we've gone back and forth on this, I would sign Fedor and do everything possible to get Randy in the octagon with
him. I'd do anything, because a., it's a great fight and b., I think Randy would smash Fedor."
Through his spokesman, Couture declined to comment.

LINK
CactusBob
3/6/08 7:32:11PM
I'm not getting my hopes up, but this could be promising. It's almost as though this entire thing with Randy and Fedor and the UFC was set up to build hype around a fight...
tberg420
3/6/08 7:42:30PM
It would be nice for this to happen but I'm sure that Fedor's Management team will block this from happening in the UFC.
whardin19
3/6/08 7:47:05PM
I really don't find myself caring anymore about this matchup. It would be cool if it happens but oh well if it doesn't.
iwannabesedated
3/6/08 7:54:19PM
Really i feel the same as most of you..If it happens that would be great if not oh well..I would like to see it happen mostly for us the fans.Secondly id like to see Randy come back and we can see Fedor in the UFC..With Fedor in the UFC that could really intice Cro Cop to come back maybe sooner and ready to be in old CC LHK form..Not to Mention fights with Nog,Tim and AA if they stay.Plus if Randy comes back and would beat Fedor he could go on to fight Nog or if Fedor would win another war with him Vs Nog...Ok i really do want to see Fedor in the UFC..soo all this Whose number 1 shit could be settled.
nickcuc547
3/6/08 8:10:46PM
im getting my hopes up, but i will probably be let down yet again.
d_block07
3/6/08 8:36:37PM
still not likely to happen in the UFC.

A. Randy signed a contract with Mark Cuban.

B. You dont screw over Mark Cuban. He is more powerful than the UFC.

C. Fedor will most likely sign with DREAM, which is the reason he is leaving M-1 becasue he wants to be back with the PRIDE guys.

D. Dana will find a way to ruin it. trust me.
tberg420
3/6/08 8:38:27PM
Elite XC, HDnet, or Dreamers might be another option. I see Dreamers probably being the option.
bls1919
3/6/08 9:43:08PM
If this fight were to happen i would blow a load. Really everyone says "i dont care " BS i want to see this fight happen. I just hope Randy has been on his training and has time to prepare 4 to 6 months.
Twenty20Dollars
3/6/08 10:01:08PM
Haha this would be funny is Fedor signed with UFC after randy went and signed with HD and was done with his UFC contract, and then randy wants back in UFC that'd be funny

But hopefully UFC can get fedor vs randy fight. then that could set up Big Nog vs Couture or Fedor which would be nice.
hippysmacker
3/7/08 1:00:03AM

Posted by d_block07

still not likely to happen in the UFC.

A. Randy signed a contract with Mark Cuban.

B. You dont screw over Mark Cuban. He is more powerful than the UFC.

C. Fedor will most likely sign with DREAM, which is the reason he is leaving M-1 becasue he wants to be back with the PRIDE guys.

D. Dana will find a way to ruin it. trust me.

I think you are right , except for D.

If Fedors management is still making demand like co-promotion rights, there is no chance of this happening IMO. Theres 2 things I think the UFC won't bend on in any way, and I think both are fair. Co-promotion rights for his management, and a non-exclusive deal. I think the UFC should, and will give in on his Sambo wishes though. The HDNET deal is contingent after his UFC deal ends, So while A and B seem to true to me, they can be overcome. It's my guess that Fedor will sign with Dream in the end. I hope I'm wrong though. I would still like to see Randy/Fedor in the octagon.
xchickox
3/7/08 7:48:00AM
if dana doesn't want to do the co-promotion or open contract thing then why doesn't he just give fedor the one fight contract just for this fight
DevonFoxy
3/7/08 8:50:47AM

Posted by xchickox

if dana doesn't want to do the co-promotion or open contract thing then why doesn't he just give fedor the one fight contract just for this fight

Well idk I may be wrong but if I was Dana and he comes in and beats my champion and leaves thats not really going to set well with me. He gets all the publicity that way and when its over thats where the cameras are going to go with him and Dana is left out in the cold. Say what you want about Dana but he is not a stupid man and he would not let that happen.

Do I want this to happen yes. Do I think it could be a possibility yes. But if Fedor doesn't sign with the UFC I really don't think it will because he's scared of the competition like many are saying its just business. Thats it. If you can get the same and possibly more money from a org. thats not the UFC and get all his perks I see no reason why he wouldn't. It just makes sense to him and to me for that.

We all would love to see this fight and of course it'd be great to see it in the cage but sadly this will probably not happen any time soon and Fedor will make his demands Dana will try and negotiate Dream will offer the pretty much same deal with his perks and he will sign with Dream. Dana will say hes not Top 10 and then we will be right here speculating on articles again.

Boy do I hope I'm wrong but history tells me this is probably going to happen some what like that.