Fedor Knew Better Than To Fight In UFC, Milked His Career To Get Paid

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fedor Knew Better Than To Fight In UFC, Milked His Career To Get Paid
DCRage
2/15/11 8:20:08AM
And Rome Is Burning about it-that would be Jim Rome on a recent episode of his ESPN program. "No matter how good you are, you will lose. Everybody does, there are so many different disciplines and everybody gets caught at some point. But, that's not what happened to Fedor Emelianenko Saturday against Antonio Silva. After going a decade without losing, he follows up last summer’s loss to Fabricio Werdum by getting his face beaten in Saturday. And that's no fluke, that's not a guy getting suckered into a savvy submission hold or just getting caught with one big shot in the chin. That was a bigger, stronger, better fighter on top of Fedor pounding him senseless. Silva said that he was surprised that the doctors stopped the fight. Surprised or disappointed? Did you bother to check that piece of meat that you were bludgeoning between shots. Trust me, he had enough. Fedor admitted enough afterwards, quote, 'Maybe it's time to leave … Maybe it's the last time, maybe it's high time.' No, maybe's about it, if anything it's probably past time. Now it's pretty obvious why he didn't want to sign with the UFC. While Strikeforce does have competitive heavyweights, he didn't want to fight the best of the best on the biggest stage, he knew better. He refused to take any chances; he milked it for all its worth and he got paid and then exposed and now it's over."

Article
SmileR
2/15/11 8:48:44AM
I've said the same for some time now. Fedor is with out doubt the greatest HW to date but he hasn't been top for a long time. He'd have lost long ago if he had moved to the ufc. But he is still with out doubt the greatest HW of our time!
BigIP
2/15/11 9:16:31AM
Rome just sounds like some shock jock trying to stir up some controversy. He contradicts himself when he says Strikeforce has some of the best heavyweights but Fedor was ducking the best competition in the UFC? Fedor was loyal to his agent he was not ducking the best competition. He wanted to fight Randy and Brock.
emfleek
2/15/11 9:23:28AM

Posted by BigIP

He contradicts himself when he says Strikeforce has some of the best heavyweights but Fedor was ducking the best competition in the UFC?

You and I interpreted what Rome said differently.

While Strikeforce does have competitive heavyweights, he didn't want to fight the best of the best on the biggest stage, he knew better.
TeamDEY
2/15/11 10:19:33AM
Jim Rome does not need to discuss MMA at any point. He knows absolutely nothing. He is a jerk who runs his mouth and at the end of the day doesn't know a damn thing. Fedor is not only the best HW of our time but the best fighter of our time.
pmoney
2/15/11 10:54:53AM
This is amazing! Jim Rome is the man in my book, but I am tired of the Fedor bashing that has become popular since his loss Saturday. If I would have said in July 2010 that Fedor would lose two fights in a row, you know what I would call that? The decline of averages.

The decline of averages essentially is a theory suggesting that when you've excelled at such a high level for so long (like Fedor not losing an MMA fight for a DECADE), eventually you are going to lose at least a couple!! It's more a economic/math term, but I feel it's apt here.

Enough of this "He didn't want to fight the best" BS. How many times did he beat Big Nog in his prime? It's not like he was fighting total cans his whole career.
chickmagnet
2/15/11 12:34:07PM
I wanna see Fedor vs. Liddell!!!
machodog76
2/15/11 1:43:04PM
Rome is a blowhard.
bjj1605
2/15/11 3:18:13PM
I couldn't disagree more Jim Rome. He didn't come to the UFC because of very specific contract stipulations.

He is without a doubt the greatest heavyweight and the greatest fighter that MMA has ever seen.

All this nonsense about the sport "catching up with him" or "passing him by" is such BS. Fedor would have been the same fighter if he would have started fighting today. Its not that these guys are better than he ever was, its that they're better than him when he's old, out of shape, and not into fighting anymore.

People made this same argument when chuck started losing and they'll make the same argument when anderson starts losing. "Oh, he was never that good to begin with."

MMA fans are so fickle. One day a fighter is a God on earth, the next he's a piece of junk.
FastKnockout
2/15/11 3:35:08PM
What can you say? This is MMA. If a fighter wins, everyone praises them. If they lose, they are bashed to death. That's just how the MMA community is, even though I consider Rome to be part of the community. He's just... there.
Boo_Radley21
2/15/11 3:39:33PM

Posted by chickmagnet

lol seriously?
hate4thestate
2/15/11 4:16:42PM

Posted by bjj1605

I couldn't disagree more Jim Rome. He didn't come to the UFC because of very specific contract stipulations.

He is without a doubt the greatest heavyweight and the greatest fighter that MMA has ever seen.

All this nonsense about the sport "catching up with him" or "passing him by" is such BS. Fedor would have been the same fighter if he would have started fighting today. Its not that these guys are better than he ever was, its that they're better than him when he's old, out of shape, and not into fighting anymore.

People made this same argument when chuck started losing and they'll make the same argument when anderson starts losing. "Oh, he was never that good to begin with."

MMA fans are so fickle. One day a fighter is a God on earth, the next he's a piece of junk.

Also, he didnt come to the UFC because of the disrespectful things that had been said about him by Dana White. But totally agree. When someone gets old and loses it, it is not that they were good and lost it, it is that they never had it. The intelligence of mma fans frightens me at times.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/15/11 5:20:38PM
While Rome didn't say how it probably should have been said, there's some truth to what he said. For the record, Pmoney, I also agree with you, but I digress.

Dana has, in the past and even now, gone out of his way to at least TRY to bring every top talent to the UFC that he can grab. Whether it was M-1 or Fedor (people can't say because they don't ACTUALLY know), Fedor didn't sign with the UFC.

I refuse to believe that Dana didn't at least try to make concessions with Fedor to get him in to the UFC. M-1 might have been impossible to work with or Fedor might just not wanted to have signed. Making ridiculous demands as part of your contract negotiations is just another way avoid signing with an organization. It's not like Dana suddenly decided that other fighters he signed could compete in outside competitions and could co-promote but Fedor couldn't.. Dana has been consistent about these things across the board.

Dana has even brought in people like Kimbo Slice because of popular demand. He even gave the man that beat Kimbo another shot in the UFC. He brought back Werdum, signed Cro-Cop, brought in Lil Nog, signed multiple different JMMA "legends," and entered negotiations with Fedor. Dana may be many things, but there's one thing he's not, someone who ignores the cries and pleas of fans.
marcoDGK
2/17/11 1:47:57AM
lol what happened to Fedors past?
mrsmiley
2/17/11 6:36:10AM
One thing i've said before and I will stress here again.

Fedor fought Big Timmy in Affliction. Timmy was across the board still ranked in the top 10 HW's at the time.

Fedor fought AA in Affliction. Once again AA across the board was still ranked in many top 10 list in the HW division.

The fight with Barnett didn't happen but Barnett was still ranked in many top 10 list as well in magazines and assorted websites prior to the fight. It wasn't until after the whole steroid scandal leading up to this fight he was dropped from a lot of top 10's.

He fought Brett Rogers in SF who was mixed towards the bottom of many top 10 after his defeat of AA.

Had he fought Barnett that would have been 4 fights with fighters ranked in the top 10 in the HW division. Granted we can have disputes whether some of them deserved to be in the top 10,that much is true but it doesn't take away from the fact that they where indeed placed their by the consensus.

It's so easy to look with our current state of affairs and make alligations such as this. It's ridiculous. I believe the biggest reason why this happens with Fedor is because after he beats these guys they just seem to decline rapidly fast from the mix and it becomes easy to target Fedor as a competition dodger. Any MMA fan worth his weight in bud light could make the same argument Rome has put foward,then turn around and give a take simular as mine.
cmill21
2/17/11 6:18:40PM
I'm with Smiley. The guys Fedor has fought are not bumbs. Right now the HW div keeps getting bigger and bigger and Fedor was a small HW back in 2002. He performed well against big foot considering size and skill, and he probably could have out pointed him in the boxing category had he tried that, but he went in and tried for the spectacular KO. He got put in a bad situation because of this that by sheer physic's should have ended the fight but he did well off his backed and was forced into a doctors stoppage. It's sad that Fedor isn't the top at HW any more but I see no reason why he wouldn't be the top at 205, I mean he's still got that skill and well roundedness that he had when he dominated Pride. By doing this he could also avoid people like Brock who can win simply on size alone.
Brockisthebest
2/18/11 3:25:53PM
Fedor would get smoked in the UFC....
Cooler
2/18/11 4:43:23PM

Posted by Brockisthebest

Brock would get murdered in Strikeforce...
TS92turbo
2/24/11 10:30:45PM

Posted by chickmagnet

FEDOR AND JOE ROGAN
TS92turbo
2/24/11 10:34:48PM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by Brockisthebest

Brock would get murdered in Strikeforce...

Beg to differ. Strikeforce cant compete with UFC's heavy hitters. I'm no Dana rider, but strikeforce is just absolute garbage. If Fedor came to UFC, he would put on some good fights, but there are some matchups where he would just get creamed. As for Brock, he wouldnt get destroyed in SF. Same for him as what I said with Fedor.

If you ask me, Brock wins by KO if they fought
marcoDGK
2/24/11 10:48:34PM

Posted by TS92turbo

If you ask me, Brock wins by KO if they fought

youre trolling with that comment! lol