Fedor Haters, listen up

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Fedor Haters, listen up
Manfred
1/26/08 7:56:59PM
Something has been getting to me more and more lately. There seems to be a grown trend on these (and other) boards that like to bash Fedor. Common things I'm sick of hearing:

Fedor is over-rated:
I dare anyone to mentioned who has been so dominant for so long. His complete destruction of everyone he has faced is enough for me. In practical terms he's undefeated. And for the most part, unchallenged. He's got subs, GnP, striking, cardio, a chin and great game plans. His opponents openly admit that they want to try and cut him. So he does have a weakness.

Not signing with the UFC:
I wish Fedor was in the UFC as much as any of you. The following s from Fedor's interviews. He's never been accused of dishonesty, so I have no reason to not believe him. Considering the terms of the contract, I understand why he isn't in the UFC:

- No combat sambo. Forget that he's the defending world champ of his beloved national sport. and it's only once a year. I actually agree with the UFC on this one. It's not sambo, which is similar to ADCC. It's combat sambo. It's too close MMA.

- No Red Devil package deal. Once again I can see the UFC's side. Sure it's happened before. (Serra / Scarola, Franklin / Gurgel among many others) but it shouldn't be guaranteed. UFC has the right to choose who fights for them.

The rest is BS. Without the UFC's pre-approval, he:
- Can't give ANY interviews
- Can't appear in TV or film
- Can't do any sponsorships or advertisement
Additionally:
- He can be released if he loses one fight
- He had to fight 8 times in two years
- If he is undefeated at the end of his contract, he gets automatically extended for an UNSPECIFIED amount of time, at the SAME compensation
So basically he can never leave unless he loses. And no bump in pay unless Lord Dana fells like it. The UFC talked down and disrespectfully to his agents Both publicly, and according to Fedor, privately as well. Additionally, they had come to terms and had a verbal agreement, only to receive a totally different contract in the mail.

Fedor is only willing to fight cans, because he's scared of real competition:
Sure he has fought cans, but that's his fault? He's fought anyone that's been willing and available. He pressured PRIDE to set up a superfight with Tim Sylvia. He put clauses in his M-1 contract to guarantee a fight with the UFC champ and even got M-1 to pay for both purses and win bonus. Doens't sound scared to me.

This is a guy who is not a thug. He doesn't fight because he enjoys beating people up. He does it to provide for his family. Why do you think he owes you anything? He never called himself the best. He never bashes or puts down an opponent. He is always respectful, before and after the fight. How many times have we seen him APOLOGIZE after demolishing a guy.

Sorry for the long read, just needed to get that off my chest. I'm good now.

EDIT: For the record, I'm not talking about people dropping him in the rankings. Understandable given activity and level of competition. I'm talking about blindly bashing the guy
NineDuce
1/26/08 8:15:48PM
i totally agree people are too hard on the guy just because he dosnt fight alot anymore and thats what it comes down to with people with little attention span, even if he retiring now he'd still be considered the best HW until someone else sports a better resume and dominance which is not likely in that division, everyone knows fedor is the best but everybody wants to have their own opinion and be different, kinda got to let it go and let fedor's fighting speak for itself, people thought cro cop and nog were going to destroy fedor and they didnt
EccentricGroove
1/26/08 8:18:36PM
I agree with you on the contract thing. Some of those things in that contract offer are a joke and is insulting. Im with you there. And I think Fedor is one of the greatest ever. But I have personally moved him down in my pound for pound list to 3. And soon BJ Penn will pass him if he keeps going the way he's going. But some people dont think as much of the compition he has faced as you do. And that is their right to the opinion. You did not mention how most recently he has fought Hong Man Choi and Matt Lindland. And also some of his Pride fights, some people dont think as much of those fighters as you do in regards to UFC fighters.But no one should ever insult him just like they should not with Randy Coutoure cause both these guys have showed nothing but class.
juanez13
1/26/08 8:20:58PM
...its as simple as neither the UFC or Fedor can be held responsible for not signing, there is more than meets the eye than people think, its not fedor doesnt want to sign with the UFC becuase he is scared he'll loose, or is not the UFC thats wants to treat him like a prisioner and not let him do shit....that UFC right now is basically MMA for most people, and they went to the top by making the right decisions, they know what they are doing, and unfourtunately for them, fedor is more than a fighter, he has other things he does in life than otherwise signing with the UFC he wouldnt be abe to do.....so neither one can be held accountable for the deal not beng made, both had different reasons for it not happening, and to some they may consider these reasons wrong, but for them its something they couldnt accept.....
THE_DRiZzLE
1/26/08 8:23:56PM
i wouldn't sign that contract if i were him either.. just seems like a dumb move on the UFC's part..
NatedawgThaM
1/26/08 8:24:18PM
He survived a life threatening suplex on his neck and just simply rolled Randleman over and submitted him 10 seconds later like nothing happened. After seeing that, to me, Fedor is the real life Terminator

The only thing I have a problem with, is he lets his brother fight Barnett besides him and after that fight is settled, the best other fight he gets(Rizzo) he turns that down from what I heard. He's not fighting anybody great and that's my only problem. But nobody can hate on the complete domination of the HW division.

People say PRIDE is overrated and Fedor is too because he was dominant in PRIDE and PRIDE guys are losing? Don't people know if UFC guys come to PRIDE, it would be vice versa? It's all about the environment. They went from a ring in a peaceful and respectful arena to a loud and obnoxious redneck audience in a cage, who boo you for no reason.

Some people need to get there information straight. Fedor is the best fighter in the world IMO. I just can't rate him #1 P4P because I base on what you've done recently and he hasn't beaten anybody in the top 10 P4P.
stock
1/26/08 9:14:37PM
Let me first start by saying that I like Fedor. I still have him ranked #2 in the world, and he is still in my "Top Ten Favs".

Overrated is probably too harsh of a term, but I just feel that he is probably overrated right now. IMO, you have to beat the best to be the best.
When I look at his career stats, he has not beaten one of my top 10 heavyweights since August of 2005. He has never finished one of my top 10 fighters.
Also, he has only had 2 fights in the last year.
Lindland is not even a traditional heavyweight. And Choi is just some giant freakshow in which they had to create special rules in Fedor's favor.

Again, I like Fedor a lot and I just really wish he would have worked something out with the UFC. I really think it was the people that represent him that screwed things up.

However, it is just my opinion that you have to beat the best (even if didn't have the chance to do so) to be the best. And you have to continue to beat the best. When you have to go back to 2005 to find a fight with a huge win, that just is not recent enough.
I do not blame him for this, but that does not make the truth go away.

On a side note, I respect Fedor a TON more than Randy. Since the deal was not right for him, he chose to not sign a contract. Good for him!
Randy on the other hand.....
casey64
1/26/08 9:18:46PM

Posted by stock

Let me first start by saying that I like Fedor. I still have him ranked #2 in the world, and he is still in my "Top Ten Favs".

Overrated is probably too harsh of a term, but I just feel that he is probably overrated right now. IMO, you have to beat the best to be the best.
When I look at his career stats, he has not beaten one of my top 10 heavyweights since August of 2005. He has never finished one of my top 10 fighters.
Lindland is not even a traditional heavyweight. And Choi is just some giant freakshow in which they had to create special rules in Fedor's favor.

Again, I like Fedor a lot and I just really wish he would have worked something out with the UFC. I really think it was the people that represent him that screwed things up.

However, it is just my opinion that you have to beat the best (even if didn't have the chance to do so) to be the best. And you have to continue to beat the best. When you have to go back to 2005 to find a fight with a huge win, that just is not recent enough.

On a side note, I respect Fedor a TON more than Randy. Since the deal was not right for him, he chose to not sign a contract. Good for him!

Whats wrong with Randy why dont you like him
Aaronno9
1/26/08 10:03:52PM
I think fedor, in terms of skill, is the best p4p fighter ever. But i cant put him at the top of my rankings becouse of his lack of activity and the caliber of his oponents over the last year. The thing that really bugs me is that he turned down a fight with monson becouse he felt like monson wasnt good enough, but he was willing to take on a middleweight who isnt even at the top of the division (no offence to lindland, i just dont think hes as good as rich, silva or hendo) then choi, who isnt even in the same league as fedor. If he pulls his socks up and fights some good competition, id be willing to put him back to number 1.
SmileR
1/26/08 10:15:00PM
I couldn't have said it any better myself.
The mans record speaks for its self. He owes nothing to the UFC an the contract he was offered was ridiculous.
I really hope the "super fight" between Randy and Fedor happens and shows just how good he is.
Nothing against Randy i just think Fedor is the best HW regardless of what org he fights for.
NatedawgThaM
1/26/08 10:42:51PM

Posted by casey64

Posted by stock

Ah nothing..

Wait I don't want to lie to you. Here's the problems I have. The first thing that comes out about Randy wanting to leave he uses the excuse he does not get paid well enough when HE negotiated his own contract. Then after that excuse is pointless, he says he does not feel he is respected. OKAY, they don't call you captain america to disrespect you. They had a whole night based on you the thursday before UFC 74. Then he blames the UFC for not wanting to snag Fedor when it was Fedor's decision. They just gave him a contract they give everybody else but with more money but he rejected it, not there fault, I would have rejected it too.

Not trying to hate on Randy since he is a master at gameplans and a great fighter but I just think this whole issue between him and the UFC is just plain silly.
ocho-cinco
1/26/08 11:05:25PM
I wasn't aware of how bad the UFC's contract offer actually was. No wonder he didn't sign. Who in there right mind would sign it, if they were in his position? That really pisses me off that they would treat someone of Fedor's stature like that. I'm baffled that this is how they tried to sign the biggest name in the sport. Well done UFC, not only did you not sign Fedor, with a rediculus attempt, but you drove Randy Couture away in the process.
cmill21
1/26/08 11:22:23PM
If I could prop you I would. His contract offer was horrible plain and simple. It looks like a fight with barney is in the works, but it's going to be set up after they have a fight(after a year off would you want your first opponent to be Fedor?). So M-1 is setting up some nice fights, and who knows the UFC is stepping on some toes so there could be more.
monogl
1/27/08 1:12:41AM
I love Fedor and he's still the #1 P4P in my mind and rankings, but for whatever reason he hasn't faced a true threat to him in quite some time. Not that he had easy fights in 07, Lindland is still a killer even if oversized and Choi is just a monster that can catch u with one and end it, but it would have been much better to see him fighting the top ranked guys. I don't blame him for not signing with the UFC but one thing makes me unhappy with him right now most; he is letting his brother fight Josh Barnett in M1 and not taking the fight himself. If Barnett will fight in M1 why isnt he fighting Fedor? There is no good explanation. I think Barnett has the best chance of anyone left on the planet to beat Fedor. If by some miracle Barnett and Fedor actually fight in April-May and Fedor wins, he would cement his status for some time on my list. If he were then to get the fight with Randy together and beat him as well, he would never lose his spot. Now thats a very unlikely scenario but hey I can dream that both, or either, fight happens.
Gipper
1/27/08 2:30:49AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by casey64

Posted by stock

Ah nothing..

Wait I don't want to lie to you. Here's the problems I have. The first thing that comes out about Randy wanting to leave he uses the excuse he does not get paid well enough when HE negotiated his own contract. Then after that excuse is pointless, he says he does not feel he is respected. OKAY, they don't call you captain america to disrespect you. They had a whole night based on you the thursday before UFC 74. Then he blames the UFC for not wanting to snag Fedor when it was Fedor's decision. They just gave him a contract they give everybody else but with more money but he rejected it, not there fault, I would have rejected it too.

Not trying to hate on Randy since he is a master at gameplans and a great fighter but I just think this whole issue between him and the UFC is just plain silly.

nice post on fedor. agree 100%. get your facts straight on randy dude. randy couture has 1 fight left in his career. he wants fedor emelianenko. ufc can't offer this fight to him. thats the reason. forget all the other bullshit.
telnights
1/27/08 2:59:23AM

Posted by Gipper

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by casey64

Posted by stock

Ah nothing..

nice post on fedor. agree 100%. get your facts straight on randy dude. randy couture has 1 fight left in his career. he wants fedor emelianenko. ufc can't offer this fight to him. thats the reason. forget all the other bullshit.

Umm he did have his facts straight about Randy he was a little out of order on Randy's excuses but not enough to matter.
telnights
1/27/08 3:25:11AM

Posted by Manfred

Something has been getting to me more and more lately. There seems to be a grown trend on these (and other) boards that like to bash Fedor. Common things I'm sick of hearing:

Fedor is over-rated:
I dare anyone to mentioned who has been so dominant for so long. His complete destruction of everyone he has faced is enough for me. In practical terms he's undefeated. And for the most part, unchallenged. He's got subs, GnP, striking, cardio, a chin and great game plans. His opponents openly admit that they want to try and cut him. So he does have a weakness.

I wish Fedor was in the UFC as much as any of you. The following s from Fedor's interviews. He's never been accused of dishonesty, so I have no reason to not believe him. Considering the terms of the contract, I understand why he isn't in the UFC:

- No combat sambo. Forget that he's the defending world champ of his beloved national sport. and it's only once a year. I actually agree with the UFC on this one. It's not sambo, which is similar to ADCC. It's combat sambo. It's too close MMA.

- No Red Devil package deal. Once again I can see the UFC's side. Sure it's happened before. (Serra / Scarola, Franklin / Gurgel among many others) but it shouldn't be guaranteed. UFC has the right to choose who fights for them.

Additionally:
- If he is undefeated at the end of his contract, he gets automatically extended for an UNSPECIFIED amount of time, at the SAME compensation
So basically he can never leave unless he loses. And no bump in pay unless Lord Dana fells like it. The UFC talked down and disrespectfully to his agents Both publicly, and according to Fedor, privately as well. Additionally, they had come to terms and had a verbal agreement, only to receive a totally different contract in the mail.

Sure he has fought cans, but that's his fault? He's fought anyone that's been willing and available. He pressured PRIDE to set up a superfight with Tim Sylvia. He put clauses in his M-1 contract to guarantee a fight with the UFC champ and even got M-1 to pay for both purses and win bonus. Doens't sound scared to me.

This is a guy who is not a thug. He doesn't fight because he enjoys beating people up. He does it to provide for his family. Why do you think he owes you anything? He never called himself the best. He never bashes or puts down an opponent. He is always respectful, before and after the fight. How many times have we seen him APOLOGIZE after demolishing a guy.

EDIT: For the record, I'm not talking about people dropping him in the rankings. Understandable given activity and level of competition. I'm talking about blindly bashing the guy

Fedor not signing with the UFC wasn't that huge of a deal but not taking on any good fighters is a deal breaker for me. As far as the contract goes its a standard pro athletic contract. To say the contract is BS is a unfair. If you take any contract that you sign with a big company and really site down and read it you will see your signing your rights away. Just site down sometime and read your cell phone contract if you don't think so. The truth is none of us know all the reasons for what caused him not to sign. I think we could find fault on both sides. I also think Fedor's management didn't truly have Fedor's best interest at heart. I think there was some shady stuff going on that we don't know about, I could take a guess at them but its not my place. But in the end Fedor has to do what he feels is best for him.
Now I want to say that if anyone thinks Fedor and his management(his manager is the VP of M-1) don't have a huge hand in picking his fights you would have to be blind. Now I truly don't think Fedors scared but overrated by some people yes. Some people think the guy is almost god like, if that isn't over rated than I don't know what is. But truly the last thing for me as a fan was when I read his brother is fighting Barnett and he is fighting a fight not even in the top 20.
jomatty
1/27/08 5:41:18AM
very good post manfred,

ive wanted to start a thread similar to this one but didnt have the time to put in to it and was worried about it coming out like all the other pro or anti fedor threads that spring up. im glad you took the time to lay the case out nicely.

people seem to think that fedor owes everyone something and that his number one priority should be to impress americans. that is just not the case. he is the best fighter in the sport right now and there is no reason he should sign a contract with those stipulations.

i am as dissapointed as anyone about him not fighting barnett but i just dont think that he had the option and just said "nah let my brother fight him" like everyone else seems to think. m-1 probably wants to protect their investment and that is unfortunate but not fedors fault imo.

anyways i find it hard to believe that fedor, after taking on the best hw's in the sport, suddenly has gotten scared to face top competition. it has been a series of unfortunate events that have led to this, first having his organization dismantled by the ufc and being put in limbo, followed by the contract disputes and being made an offer by the ufc that would never be satsfactory for him, and now having to deal with an upstart organization with all their eggs in fedor's basket. im confident that time will show that fedor is still more than willing to take on the best guys.
stock
1/27/08 8:58:01AM

Posted by telnights

Posted by Manfred

Fedor is over-rated:

Additionally:

Fedor not signing with the UFC wasn't that huge of a deal but not taking on any good fighters is a deal breaker for me. As far as the contract goes its a standard pro athletic contract. To say the contract is BS is a unfair. If you take any contract that you sign with a big company and really site down and read it you will see your signing your rights away. Just site down sometime and read your cell phone contract if you don't think so. The truth is none of us know all the reasons for what caused him not to sign. I think we could find fault on both sides. I also think Fedor's management didn't truly have Fedor's best interest at heart. I think there was some shady stuff going on that we don't know about, I could take a guess at them but its not my place. But in the end Fedor has to do what he feels is best for him.
Now I want to say that if anyone thinks Fedor and his management(his manager is the VP of M-1) don't have a huge hand in picking his fights you would have to be blind. Now I truly don't think Fedors scared but overrated by some people yes. Some people think the guy is almost god like, if that isn't over rated than I don't know what is. But truly the last thing for me as a fan was when I read his brother is fighting Barnett and he is fighting a fight not even in the top 20.

Good point about the contracts.
That all seems like a standard contract for any professional athlete. Nothing in the contract says that he cannot give TV interviews or take on endorsement deals. Just that they need the UFCs permission.
The UFC is just covering their bases as they don't want someone to misrepresent them. The truth of the matter is that almost all top fighters have endorsement deals and do interviews pretty often.
However, it really does not bother me since he did not sign a contract like Randy did.
That being said, he has never finished a top 10 heavyweight in his career and has not even fought one since 2005.
That is the real reason why I cannot rank him #1 in anything. Simply based on facts, not because I don't like/respect him.
casey64
1/27/08 4:48:06PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by casey64

Posted by stock

Ah nothing..

I understand no hating on anybody and agreed to gipper randy has one fight left i just wanted to know why ya didnt like him i agree with ya i tried to give you props but i have to spread the love.