Fedor: Good for MMA, and Bad for UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Fedor: Good for MMA, and Bad for UFC
backalley101
9/1/07 10:28:46PM
Arguably; Fedor is the greatest heavyweight to ever put the gloves on. I believe that he is worth the $2 million. There are football players who throw a ball and baseball players who hit a ball, and they make millions. If he can pull off the contract negotiations, then more power to him. He could open the doors for other fighters to be paid better. Is it good for MMA? I believe so. Just for the record, I still think Couture could probably pull off a win.
LightsOut33093
9/1/07 10:47:06PM
and how is it bad for UFC???
backalley101
9/1/07 11:06:37PM
It is bad because more fighters will demand more money for fights. That is what is bad for the UFC.
mkiv9secsupra
9/1/07 11:17:27PM
most of the fighters DESERVE more from the UFC
Trapt1nw0nder
9/1/07 11:27:04PM
hell no Fedor dont deserve any more money than Randy Couture gets!

8 million for 4 MMA fights is too much......well its not really alot,but other fighters should get paid the same

so...up the pay equally

i believe all those excuses and stall tactics that Fedor and his managers are pulling are only so the UFC ups the pay.
Pitbull09
9/1/07 11:36:48PM
I dont know what your talking about, this is bad for UFC and MMA. If fighters start demanding more money, the ufc wont be able to pay them all and they will go to dif promotions so we never see good matchups. Thats why boxing is no longer interesting.
adamal
9/2/07 12:13:05AM
He's bad for the sport cause he's kind of an ass and not just about the money I just don't like the way he is. He's good for the UFC if he can create buys and sell tickets. But that is becoming less and less of a problem for UFC so at this point execpt to see what happens when he fights Randy there isn't really a lot of good to be said for him.
Jackelope
9/2/07 3:37:27AM
How is Fedor an ass? Fedor is one of the most humble, respectful and skilled opponents out there
bayonetxwork
9/2/07 7:22:33AM

Posted by Jackelope

How is Fedor an ass? Fedor is one of the most humble, respectful and skilled opponents out there

He's not an ass, and I agree he is one of the most humble and respectable guy sin the sport. But there will always be the people that love to hate him because he is that good.
adamal
9/2/07 10:02:15AM
I don't see him that way. I don't like the way he talks about the sport as just a paycheck for him, I don't like the way he justifies demanding so much money. He could just say he beleieves he earned it with his talents but it seems his family and his country are always brought up. All fighters have families and lots of fighters come from poverty and poor countries, Brazil, Croatia, even poor parts of the USA.
I suppose he's not an ass, sorry, and he is a humble guy which is refreshing to have someone not talking junk all the time. I just wish he could understand his importance to the sport and at least think about htat and putting the sport before himself. Even if he doesn't sign with UFC at least sign somewhere. Fedor not fighting is bad for this sport.

And I don't love to hate him beacuse of his skill I hate to dislike him because of that. I love watching his fights his submissions are mesmorizing.
LightsOut33093
9/2/07 10:18:19AM
2 million for 15 minutes is too much...make it like 500,000......which is still ALOT.....then he gets another 500,000 from sponsors.....
Bountytaker
9/2/07 12:00:44PM
If you don't think the UFC will make back the 8 million in merchandising alone, you're crazy.

Fedor sells.....it's a good investment for Dana, PERIOD!
keith-hackney1
9/2/07 12:03:02PM

Posted by backalley101

Arguably; Fedor is the greatest heavyweight to ever put the gloves on. I believe that he is worth the $2 million. There are football players who throw a ball and baseball players who hit a ball, and they make millions. If he can pull off the contract negotiations, then more power to him. He could open the doors for other fighters to be paid better. Is it good for MMA? I believe so. Just for the record, I still think Couture could probably pull off a win.

The stupid part is, if the wages go up for fighter purses, the fans will suffer as tickets, ppv and ufc merchandise prices will go up aswell.
JimiMak
9/2/07 12:05:17PM

Posted by LightsOut33093

2 million for 15 minutes is too much...make it like 500,000......which is still ALOT.....then he gets another 500,000 from sponsors.....

I don't get how you think sponsor money fits into this issue at all. That is between the fighter and his sponsors and has nothing to do with what he gets paid by the promotion to fight.
The_Grim_Reaper
9/2/07 12:40:07PM
K-1 has offered him 4 million for 4 fights,
jgtribbett
9/2/07 1:26:24PM
i think he isnt coming for wahtever ridiculouse reason and for the record... randy and fedor would be a jedi mind **** competition.
their respective game plans for each other would have us confused hahahahaha
would be a nice fight though
backalley101
9/2/07 3:06:55PM
UFC makes probably over $100 million dollars just in pay-per-views and not including merchandise, internet-based profits, and everything else. And, you are not telling me that they cannot afford to pay fighters that much. Come on, who is lining their pockets?
LightsOut33093
9/2/07 4:13:50PM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by LightsOut33093

I don't get how you think sponsor money fits into this issue at all. That is between the fighter and his sponsors and has nothing to do with what he gets paid by the promotion to fight.

im not saying that sponsors is facotred into negotiations, im jus saying that fedor shoodnt be so greedy
ncordless
9/2/07 7:10:21PM

Posted by LightsOut33093

You can't blame someone for wanting to get paid as much money as they can from a promotion that has money coming out it's ears.

And your assertion that a fighter is getting paid for just the time in the ring is ridiculous. Think of all the training that fighters are putting in now. Time is money, and a fighter is getting paid for all the time they put in to be at the level they are at. Fighting is a full-time job.

The UFC is not going to go broke paying fighters on a professional athlete scale. If they don't pay, then someone else will.

The question now is whether it's the brand of the promoter or the fighters themselves who are the biggest draw. That is going to play out over the next few years as contract negotiations work out.

I could definitely see Hero's becoming what PRIDE was with the right financial backing. Look at the fighters out there right now not signed (or with contracts ending) with Zuffa it could get with the right bargaining. This to go along with the fighters it already has under contract.

Off the top of my head:

HW: Fedor, Barnett, Arlovski, Munson, Lesnar, Rizzo, Fujita, Kharitonov, Igor
LHW: Babalu, Sokudjou, Arona, Ortiz, Belfort
MW: Kang, Lindlund, Frank Shamrock, Ninja, Baroni, Cung Le, Lawler, Trigg
WW: Aoki, Diaz, Shields, Mach
LW: Kawajiri, Gomi, Kid Yamamoto, Hellboy, Shaolin... so many more japanese fighters that I don't want to mispell lol

The opportunity is there for a promoter to invest and get talent that is equal to the UFC, if it wants to take the risk of riding the MMA wave. I, for one, would love to see it. Especially if the UFC is not going to rise to the challenge it gave itself when it bought out PRIDE and sign ALL the best fighters in the world.
LightsOut33093
9/2/07 7:40:10PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by LightsOut33093

You can't blame someone for wanting to get paid as much money as they can from a promotion that has money coming out it's ears.

And your assertion that a fighter is getting paid for just the time in the ring is ridiculous. Think of all the training that fighters are putting in now. Time is money, and a fighter is getting paid for all the time they put in to be at the level they are at. Fighting is a full-time job.

The UFC is not going to go broke paying fighters on a professional athlete scale. If they don't pay, then someone else will.

The question now is whether it's the brand of the promoter or the fighters themselves who are the biggest draw. That is going to play out over the next few years as contract negotiations work out.

I could definitely see Hero's becoming what PRIDE was with the right financial backing. Look at the fighters out there right now not signed (or with contracts ending) with Zuffa it could get with the right bargaining. This to go along with the fighters it already has under contract.

Off the top of my head:

LW: Kawajiri, Gomi, Kid Yamamoto, Hellboy, Shaolin... so many more japanese fighters that I don't want to mispell lol

The opportunity is there for a promoter to invest and get talent that is equal to the UFC, if it wants to take the risk of riding the MMA wave. I, for one, would love to see it. Especially if the UFC is not going to rise to the challenge it gave itself when it bought out PRIDE and sign ALL the best fighters in the world.

no a promoted does not pay a fighter to see them train they pay them so people can watch them in events
ncordless
9/2/07 8:11:18PM

Posted by LightsOut33093

Posted by ncordless

Posted by LightsOut33093

Off the top of my head:

no a promoted does not pay a fighter to see them train they pay them so people can watch them in events

A fighter that doesn't train isn't worth having in an event. Do you want to see Tank Abbott every fight? The reason MMA is where it's at today is because fighters can make a living from training and fighting.
ncordless
9/2/07 8:37:13PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by LightsOut33093

Posted by ncordless

Posted by LightsOut33093

Off the top of my head:

A fighter that doesn't train isn't worth having in an event. Do you want to see Tank Abbott every fight? The reason MMA is where it's at today is because fighters can make a living from training and fighting.

To better illustrate my point, I'll give a couple of examples:

Get your head examined. When you do, you will find that the doctor charged you an average person's couple days pay. Yet, he only worked on you an hour. The reason he can is something called skilled labor. He trained a long time, at an expensive cost to attain the expertise in the field he works in. You don't want to have your head examined by a carpenter, even though it would be cheaper, because you want that person to be skilled in what they do.

Another example, having more to do with entertainers. When you try to buy tickets to B.B. King, it is more expensive then going to your local Open Blues Jam. The reason is because B.B. has put in more time practicing and playing than the amatuers, and as a result is a better performer. Who can blame B.B. for charging more money?
LightsOut33093
9/2/07 8:56:17PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by ncordless

Posted by LightsOut33093

Posted by ncordless

Posted by LightsOut33093

Off the top of my head:

Get your head examined. When you do, you will find that the doctor charged you an average person's couple days pay. Yet, he only worked on you an hour. The reason he can is something called skilled labor. He trained a long time, at an expensive cost to attain the expertise in the field he works in. You don't want to have your head examined by a carpenter, even though it would be cheaper, because you want that person to be skilled in what they do.

Another example, having more to do with entertainers. When you try to buy tickets to B.B. King, it is more expensive then going to your local Open Blues Jam. The reason is because B.B. has put in more time practicing and playing than the amatuers, and as a result is a better performer. Who can blame B.B. for charging more money?

once again, the promoter pays the best fighters...he cood care shit whether he trains hard or not...he jus wants the fighter to have a good record, not a good worrk ethic
ncordless
9/2/07 9:17:51PM

Posted by LightsOut33093

Posted by ncordless

Posted by ncordless

Posted by LightsOut33093

Posted by ncordless

Posted by LightsOut33093

Off the top of my head:

once again, the promoter pays the best fighters...he cood care shit whether he trains hard or not...he jus wants the fighter to have a good record, not a good worrk ethic

Name one good fighter that does not train hard. The reason they are good is because they train hard.

I guess this concept might be a little hard to grasp...

Anyways, we are making this thread unreadable with the back and forth so I am done.
LightsOut33093
9/2/07 9:45:42PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by LightsOut33093

Posted by ncordless

Posted by ncordless

Posted by LightsOut33093

Posted by ncordless

Posted by LightsOut33093

Off the top of my head:

Name one good fighter that does not train hard. The reason they are good is because they train hard.

I guess this concept might be a little hard to grasp...

Anyways, we are making this thread unreadable with the back and forth so I am done.

im not saying that the fighter doesnt train hard..all im saying is that the promoter doesnt train fighters to train and pays them to win fights, and of course u have to train to be good...but he cood care less if u didnt train adn still won
SpiderSilva
9/3/07 5:39:43PM
the UFC may make 100 mil for a show but they pay a lot of cash to a lot of people and play for like the Arena and Advertisments just to name some things
roman
9/4/07 12:34:40PM

Posted by adamal

I don't see him that way. I don't like the way he talks about the sport as just a paycheck for him, I don't like the way he justifies demanding so much money. He could just say he beleieves he earned it with his talents but it seems his family and his country are always brought up. All fighters have families and lots of fighters come from poverty and poor countries, Brazil, Croatia, even poor parts of the USA.
I suppose he's not an ass, sorry, and he is a humble guy which is refreshing to have someone not talking junk all the time. I just wish he could understand his importance to the sport and at least think about htat and putting the sport before himself. Even if he doesn't sign with UFC at least sign somewhere. Fedor not fighting is bad for this sport.

And I don't love to hate him beacuse of his skill I hate to dislike him because of that. I love watching his fights his submissions are mesmorizing.

It's his life and his desicion, not yours. You are the one being selfish saying he is bad for the sport because you want to see him fight. This sport is a job for him and that is how every professinal athlete looks at it (and if they don't they're stupid). So he is looking at it as another paycheck because that's what it is. He respects the sport and the UFC should respect him. If he wants to do one Sambo match a year and you want him that badly then let him have it. If he is worth two million a fight, and my my opinion he is, then you better pay up. The UFC has the money so I don't see the problem. Sign him, or tell him he is not what you were looking for.
roman
9/4/07 12:39:21PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Posted by backalley101

The stupid part is, if the wages go up for fighter purses, the fans will suffer as tickets, ppv and ufc merchandise prices will go up aswell.

The prices are already an ass raping. There is no way they go go any higher.
LR
9/4/07 12:55:50PM
Where the hell does it say that Fedor is all about the money? He has frequently stated that the problem with the deal isn't the money, and money isn't a major factor. He makes so much money on endorsements in Russia, it's ridiculous. The biggest factors are the Sambo and guaranteed fights in the UFC. To be honest, after hearing the statistics on Finkelstein's promotions, the UFC should do a promotion with him to solidify a profit in Asia/Europe.

Finkelstein was able to get M-1 14-18% viewership on NTV in Russia for many events in Russia. 14-18% of 120+ million viewers. The UFC must be crazy not to want to do something with M-1 and a co-promotion. Yeah, Finkelstein may just want a payday, but you can't beat that kind of exposure in the Russian market, as well as the Eastern Block countries. That's a bit of money for a huge benefit in boosting PPV buys internationally.

The UFC needs to understand that the U.S. isn't the only country in the world. Fedor made promises to compete in Russia in Sambo to the President of Russia, as well as the people. He backs his promises up, and it's ridiculous how some people think he's selfish because of it. Give me a break, everything he is doing is in line with his commitments.