Is fedor Too good?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Is fedor Too good?
Next Page »
DirtySouthBoss
2/16/07 6:41:28PM
With Pride losing fighters to the UFC what is going on with the undefeated champ? CC and Josh Barnett both had the chance to fight him on new years but they both passed up because they wanted to be at their best. Now that he is fighting Lindland is it assumed that he should just fight for $ instead of worthy challengers? Is he too good? IMO CC has the best chance, but JB isn't up tp it . He simply hasn"t beat enough top competition.
fedorwins1
2/16/07 6:48:34PM
Fedor is the best in the world no question, but Ali had challengers all the time so I don't know why Fedor doesn't have that many. The UFC needs to let some of their fighters challenge Fedor like Tim Sylvia, CC, Randy Couture, Gabriel Gonzaga, Andrei Arlovski to name some. Dana is robbing us of so many good matches, I think that they should have a yearly PPV where it's UFC vs. Pride. Imagine how much $ that would draw in and there would be no more Tim Sylvia is #1 threads either.
DoTheMMAth
2/16/07 6:54:45PM
I've love to see Barnett vs Fedor... granted CC has proven he's better than Barnett multiple times, but I can't help but think "what would have happened if Barnett got Fedor to the same position that Hunt got him to?" I honestly think that Barnett would have sunk Fedor had he been in that position. Granted, Fedor may very well have played the fight differently vs Barnett, but I can still daydream. For now I'm just happy that the UFC finally has someone who can (most likely) de-throne Silvia and add some excitement to what was their weakest division. We can all only hope and dream about Pride and UFC coming together for fights, but money and self-preservation are constant obstacles IMO. The next best thing to the organization working together is the fighters switching sides as they have done recently
DirtySouthBoss
2/16/07 7:04:06PM
We all want to see Barnett v. Fedor but if you look at the facts does he deserve it? he's lost vs. CC 3 times and he just lost to big Nog. So IMO he and CC are above and beyond everyone else and that is the fight that matters the most.
hippysmacker
2/16/07 7:04:36PM
It's funny that you would blame it on Dana. The UFC sent their fighter's to pride 3 times. Chuck twice and Rico once once on the premise that Pride would reciprocate and they didn't .They didn't even match up Chuck and Wandy when they could have in the tournament. Then they pulled the Wandy stunt and backed out. I understand both sides arguments for not having the fight , but I still feel cheated. I would love to see all those matches, but I don't think it's going to happen. Now that Pride is coming to the US, and needs to get established with the casual fan, I'm sure they are more than willing to have this. However, It wouldn't be good business to help a rival. I fear the only way this happens is if the UFC buys Pride( monopolys are bad to me , so I hope it doesn't happen), if the UFC buys more of the current rosters fighter's contracts when they are up, or( and this would be the best for MMA fans and the sport) Pride establishes a strong rival presence in the US. I understand Pride not wanting to help the UFC when they were more successful, it''s basic economics. I understand the UFC not wanting t help Pride when the shoes on the other foot. Still, what bugs me is that they didn't keep their word. It's both sides fault, but to be fair Pride started it by not keeping their word. In closing I don't see anyone beating Fedor anytime soon no matter who he was allowed to fight.
fedorwins1
2/16/07 7:07:52PM

Posted by hippysmacker

It's funny that you would blame it on Dana. The UFC sent their fighter's to pride 3 times. Chuck twice and Rico once once on the premise that Pride would reciprocate and they didn't .They didn't even match up Chuck and Wandy when they could have in the tournament. Then they pulled the Wandy stunt and backed out. I understand both sides arguments for not having the fight , but I still feel cheated. I would love to see all those matches, but I don't think it's going to happen. Now that Pride is coming to the US, and needs to get established with the casual fan, I'm sure they are more than willing to have this. However, It wouldn't be good business to help a rival. I fear the only way this happens is if the UFC buys Pride( monopolys are bad to me , so I hope it doesn't happen), if the UFC buys more of the current rosters fighter's contracts when they are up, or( and this would be the best for MMA fans and the sport) Pride establishes a strong rival presence in the US. I understand Pride not wanting to help the UFC when they were more successful, it''s basic economics. I understand the UFC not wanting t help Pride when the shoes on the other foot. Still, what bugs me is that they didn't keep their word. It's both sides fault, but to be fair Pride started it by not keeping their word. In closing I don't see anyone beating Fedor anytime soon no matter who he was allowed to fight.

with 100% of what u just said, I didn't even stop to think about the UFC letting their fighters in Pride tourneys and other matches. mad props
DoTheMMAth
2/16/07 7:09:33PM

Posted by DirtySouthBoss

We all want to see Barnett v. Fedor but if you look at the facts does he deserve it? he's lost vs. CC 3 times and he just lost to big Nog. So IMO he and CC are above and beyond everyone else and that is the fight that matters the most.

The Barnet vs Nog fight was pretty close though, and Barnett won the first of their series. Doesn't change the fact that I'd love to see how Barnett matches up vs Fedor... hell, Pride hardly ever puts on title bouts anyway , let them do a non-title fight with Barnett vs Fedor!
DoTheMMAth
2/16/07 7:12:16PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by hippysmacker

with 100% of what u just said, I didn't even stop to think about the UFC letting their fighters in Pride tourneys and other matches. mad props

I know the feeling, can't give props to Hippy again just yet though grrr
hippysmacker
2/16/07 7:14:21PM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Posted by DirtySouthBoss

The Barnet vs Nog fight was pretty close though, and Barnett won the first of their series. Doesn't change the fact that I'd love to see how Barnett matches up vs Fedor... hell, Pride hardly ever puts on title bouts anyway , let them do a non-title fight with Barnett vs Fedor!

I really dislike Non-title matches. I think Barnett as the only other man to beat NOG,derves a shor. I know they may not fight because of their friendship. Still, seriously , how close can they be? They are not related, didn't come up with the same team, and don't train together from anything I have ever heard. I love Nog, but I don't see any reason why he would suddenly beat Fedor with another try . Werdum is simliar to him, but I'm sure he'll get a shot eventually. IMO none of him are gonmna beat him anyway, so at least make any fight he has for the belt.
redmist
2/16/07 7:15:13PM
No he isn't too good. it's great for the sport to have someone as dominant as him. It gives everybody else something to aspire to, and i don't just mean CC, Nog and Barnett, i mean all the up and comers who know how high the bar is. It's like in the 100m, Asafa Powell sets a world record and everybody else knows they have to get faster.

also i agree with hippysmacker, pride is not blameless in the lack of inter-promotional fights
DirtySouthBoss
2/16/07 7:18:37PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I want to see Chuck vs. Wandy as much as any one else, but I dont get what you are trying to say. Im talking about the competition that is being brought to Fedor. What the UFC has done to compete with Pride has yet to be seen with what is going on with The Champ.

Besides CC coming over
Reignofterror
2/16/07 7:58:50PM
Fedor is undeniably one of the most talented fighters competing in mixed martial arts at the moment, and I believe part of that comes due to his well roundedness. Fedor has a loaded arsenal and he has no fear of standing up or ground game, he can compete with the best of grappling such as Nogueira and A-Class strikers such as Crocop. I think what makes Fedor so versatile is that he's mastered mixed martial arts, not Brazilian Juijitsu, or Muay Thai Kickboxing but the whole package in terms of submission grappling, takedowns, striking, and overall mentality towards his fights (zen like calmness).

ac_gi
2/16/07 11:22:48PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Awesome post bro.
DirtySouthBoss
2/16/07 11:49:01PM
I started this post and I honestly can't tell if you are talking about me, but I have no interest in what Dana White is saying. The Question is that is Fedor intimidating the comp?\

Who is the # 1 contender in everyone's opinion?
hippysmacker
2/17/07 12:18:54AM

Posted by DirtySouthBoss

Posted by hippysmacker

I want to see Chuck vs. Wandy as much as any one else, but I dont get what you are trying to say. Im talking about the competition that is being brought to Fedor. What the UFC has done to compete with Pride has yet to be seen with what is going on with The Champ.

Besides CC coming over

I get what you are trying to say and I thought I answered it . Maybe I was unclear and I apologize if so. It doesn't matter what competition Fedor faces IMO, or who is #1 contender to me. I think Fedor would and will beat anyone in front of him. In pride only Barnett and Werdum are interesting matches left. I think he clearly beats both.
DirtySouthBoss
2/17/07 1:10:00AM
[

I get what you are trying to say and I thought I answered it . Maybe I was unclear and I apologize if so. It doesn't matter what competition Fedor faces IMO, or who is #1 contender to me. I think Fedor would and will beat anyone in front of him. In pride only Barnett and Werdum are interesting matches left. I think he clearly beats both.

I think that we agree with each other, but that was the original question that I asked about. The fact that the best comp that is left says that they need more time says that he just might be too good for everyone else. AND MY QUESTION IS........

MIGHT HE BE TOO GOOD COMPARED TO EVERYONE ELSE IN MMA??????
ac_gi
2/17/07 1:17:47AM
He's the best, someone has to be the best, right? Is he too good, hell no. He almost got a Kimura slapped on him by Mark freakin Hunt. I think CroCop could take him, given another opportunity.
Telgar
2/17/07 1:25:09AM
To answer your question..

Yes.
JunCTion
2/17/07 1:28:35AM

Posted by fedorwins1

Fedor is the best in the world no question, but Ali had challengers all the time so I don't know why Fedor doesn't have that many. The UFC needs to let some of their fighters challenge Fedor like Tim Sylvia, CC, Randy Couture, Gabriel Gonzaga, Andrei Arlovski to name some. Dana is robbing us of so many good matches, I think that they should have a yearly PPV where it's UFC vs. Pride. Imagine how much $ that would draw in and there would be no more Tim Sylvia is #1 threads either.

agree. no one in pride will beat fedor and its going to be hard for pride to sign heavy weights when the fighters know fedor will keep them from reaching the top and they would have a better chance at challenging in ufc. I would hope at some point that fedor (not pride) would want to go find better competition around the worl (not neccessarily the ufc) i think all fighters should have a free agency clause in their contract. and ufc / pride would be great but dana would be the reason it won't happen. he doesn't like to share gis toys.
ac_gi
2/17/07 1:48:00AM

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by fedorwins1

... ufc / pride would be great but dana would be the reason it won't happen. he doesn't like to share gis toys.

Really, I remember him sharing a few times.
richieb19
2/17/07 1:58:18AM
I know I'm going to be critisized heavily for this post, but I feel it needs to be said. Fedor Emelianenko is definately one of the greatest fighters of all time, and is easily the # 1 or 2 HW in the world currently, but he is not what most fans claim him to be. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching him fight, and I'm more than impressed at his 15-0 record in the best division in MMA, but within the last few years his hype has gotten the better of most fans. Emelianenko is a fantastic fighter who can dominate on the feet or on the mat, and he has a gameplan for everyone, but is he unbeatable, far from it... Within the last 2 or 3 years, message boards have lit up with these "hardcore" mma fans who lay claim that Fedor is an indestructable cyborg, I mean how can anyone else survive a suplex from Randleman... I'm posting right now so that people can hopefully realize that Fedor is an amazing fighter, and nothing more. Ten years ago, people were laying claim that Ken Shamrock was an unstopable beast, and look today what most MMA fans have to say about him. I wish Fedor the best and will always remember him as one of the greatest of all times, but a loss is due, and Barnett, CroCop (or Nastula IMHO) or some worthy fighter will soon dethrone him...
JunCTion
2/17/07 2:13:00AM

Posted by ac_gi

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by fedorwins1

... ufc / pride would be great but dana would be the reason it won't happen. he doesn't like to share gis toys.

Really, I remember him sharing a few times.

you are correct, but chuck and the others were not the champs at the time. i don't think he would want to lose the face that would come if one of his champs lost to one prides champs
hathcock32
2/17/07 2:17:49AM
He has to beat all the top contenders before we can consider him to good. No doubt thats hes the best right now but until he faces sylvia arlovski hes def not to good.
JunCTion
2/17/07 2:21:39AM

Posted by hathcock32

He has to beat all the top contenders before we can consider him to good. No doubt thats hes the best right now but until he faces sylvia arlovski hes def not to good.

i think he takes care os sylvia via submission but i would love to see AA / fedor
hathcock32
2/17/07 2:41:23AM
Arlovski/ Fedor .....wow thats a dream match 4 me....i hope we will soon get to see it.
JunCTion
2/17/07 2:46:15AM

Posted by hathcock32

Arlovski/ Fedor .....wow thats a dream match 4 me....i hope we will soon get to see it.

hey, does anybody know what their current contracts are?
or for that matter, the nogs, barnett, alexander
Manfred
2/17/07 7:47:30AM
Fedor just signed a four fight extension with PRIDE, plus he's fighting Lindland on Bodog. He did say he received an offer from the UFC (no details)
Manfred
2/17/07 8:00:34AM

Posted by DirtySouthBoss

If not Barnett, then who? CC is gone and no one wants to see Fedor/Nog AGAIN.
That leaves Aleks (falling out or not, I doubt it)
Werdum (farther down the list than Barnett)
and Hunt (just had a shot)

The answer to your thread title is YES! There is no one left worthy of taking him on. (outside Barnett) Unless he comes to the UFC (not for at least 5 more fights)
dstlvb
2/17/07 10:03:33AM
Him being dominate is good for the sport. Back in the 90's it was an unbeatable little guy named Royce who put MMA on the map. Just look at another sport like golf. It is arguably this popular becasue of the Tiger factor. As to Fedor being due for a loss. Maybe. Ive seen this guy get dropped on his head, rocked by some heavy hitters, and escape from sumissions by the best in the biz. It doesnt matter if Mark Hunt almost got the Kimura. He got out like he always does. What makes him great is his ability to gameplan, not panic, and his transistions. He is the best at going from striking to takedowns to submissions, or GnP. Its all one fluid motion to him.
hippysmacker
2/17/07 7:36:24PM

Posted by dstlvb

Him being dominate is good for the sport. Back in the 90's it was an unbeatable little guy named Royce who put MMA on the map. Just look at another sport like golf. It is arguably this popular becasue of the Tiger factor. As to Fedor being due for a loss. Maybe. Ive seen this guy get dropped on his head, rocked by some heavy hitters, and escape from sumissions by the best in the biz. It doesnt matter if Mark Hunt almost got the Kimura. He got out like he always does. What makes him great is his ability to gameplan, not panic, and his transistions. He is the best at going from striking to takedowns to submissions, or GnP. Its all one fluid motion to him.

100% u da man
Pages: [1] 2