Fedor's Free Agency Fallout

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fedor's Free Agency Fallout
CornishMMA
3/7/08 8:27:30AM
Confirmation Thursday of a rumor that circulated for weeks has made Fedor Emelianenko the most sought-after free agent in mixed martial arts … again.

The move by Emelianenko, first reported by ESPN, immediately rekindled talk of the Russian heavyweight fighting in the UFC, perhaps even against Randy Couture.

Apy Echteld, who was hired as part of the European branch of M-1 Global and is a longtime manager of the 31-year-old Russian, told ESPN's Ryan Hockensmith that Emelianenko would be willing to restart contract negotiations with the UFC once the "divorce" is finalized.

LINK
MMA_Alex
3/7/08 9:11:21AM
Well, that would be really ironic if Fedor ended up in the UFC after Couture tried so hard to get out in order to face him...lol
StevenSeagal
3/7/08 9:22:52AM
Scenarios for the Fedor, Randy fight:

A) Fedor signs with EliteXC. In this case I think the fight could happen because once the Randy UFC saga is over I believe Cuban would make some sort of deal with EliteXC to make the fight happen. But I honestly don't think Fedor will sign with any other American MMA company except for the UFC. If the guy is going to move here or come fight in America, then he is most likely going to pick the top dog to fight for. I dont think EliteXC has the HW division depth or wallet to keep Fedor past 1-2 fights...

B) Fedor signs with Dream or some other Japanese org. In that case, I think it might be harder for the fight to happen. Randy propably doesnt want to fight in a ring, in front of a Japanese crowd where Fedor is king, and what about any possible business deal fallouts that might happen between HDnet and one of the Japanese orgs.

C) Fedor signs with UFC. In this case, Randy might have a change of heart and stick around for 2-3 more fights before retiring. In that time, he'd prob fight Fedor for the #1 contender, then winner would go vs. Nog for the title. The only thing that might be a problem is Mark Cuban. Im not sure the depth of paperwork and promises that Randy has made to HDnet... I doubt Cuban and Dana will work together to get the fight going... That would be the main hurdle I think, if Fedor came to the UFC
xburbx
3/7/08 9:31:03AM
Fedor vs Sherk - you heard it here first......

right when you thought fedor fell off the radar more drama with him comes up. who cares until he fights a real contender. I bet he goes to Dream and we dont hear about him for another 6 months. correction - we'll hear about him fighting his next gimme fight .
mrsmiley
3/7/08 9:53:27AM
DREAM seems like the obvious choice.They're seem to be the reincarnation of PRIDE,and Fedor seems to like the Japanese culture and the way they look at fights.

I could see him doing a one fight deal with the UFC to fight Randy,but i'm sure he would want it under his terms.
CornishMMA
3/7/08 10:37:07AM
Fedor sucks and isnt the #1 PBP and even #1 HW so why would Dana sign him?
disorderlyvision
3/7/08 11:03:02AM

Posted by CornishMMA

Fedor sucks and isnt the #1 PBP and even #1 HW so why would Dana sign him?

i dunno maybe because dana has signed all kinds of fighters who arent #1, even though fedor arguably is, and is more deserving of that rank than randy cotour who doesnt have the most stellar record and got his ass handed to him by a LHW twice.

also, im sick of people dogging on fedor for not signing with the ufc. the ufc has some of the best fighters in the world, just not at heavyweight. it is arguably the weakest division in the ufc aside perhaps from middleweight. everybody that says fedor needs to fight the best in the world shouldnt want him to sign to the ufc. the ufc has big nog who fedor beat, herring who fedor beat, coutour is out of the picture, cro cop is out, arlovski probably gone. who is left kongo, vera sylvia, werdum. then what?
silverbullet
3/7/08 11:05:09AM
Fedor will end up in DREAM fighting Cro Cop and a bunch of cans
Diamondback2
3/7/08 11:10:35AM
Seagal:

A: U r right, no way hed sing with elite xc. not enough $$.

B: I belive you are totally right here and that seems like a possibility.

C: Uh have you forgot that Randy still is the champion ? If he fights in the UFC again it will end up being vs Nog to unify the belts. Then a fight with Fedor would be next. This is the route i hope to see!

Not that i care all that much about Fedor, but I would like to see Randy fight both Big Nog and Fedor. So hopefully Fedor finally signs with the UFC!

Posted by StevenSeagal

Scenarios for the Fedor, Randy fight:

A) Fedor signs with EliteXC. In this case I think the fight could happen because once the Randy UFC saga is over I believe Cuban would make some sort of deal with EliteXC to make the fight happen. But I honestly don't think Fedor will sign with any other American MMA company except for the UFC. If the guy is going to move here or come fight in America, then he is most likely going to pick the top dog to fight for. I dont think EliteXC has the HW division depth or wallet to keep Fedor past 1-2 fights...

B) Fedor signs with Dream or some other Japanese org. In that case, I think it might be harder for the fight to happen. Randy propably doesnt want to fight in a ring, in front of a Japanese crowd where Fedor is king, and what about any possible business deal fallouts that might happen between HDnet and one of the Japanese orgs.

C) Fedor signs with UFC. In this case, Randy might have a change of heart and stick around for 2-3 more fights before retiring. In that time, he'd prob fight Fedor for the #1 contender, then winner would go vs. Nog for the title. The only thing that might be a problem is Mark Cuban. Im not sure the depth of paperwork and promises that Randy has made to HDnet... I doubt Cuban and Dana will work together to get the fight going... That would be the main hurdle I think, if Fedor came to the UFC

tuvok500
3/7/08 11:11:28AM

Posted by silverbullet

If he want to pad his record again he will go to Dream, but if he want to prove to be the best in the world he will go to the UFC, with the tail between his legs !! lol

And Dana the good guy will like always forget about the pass for the good of the sport and focus on the futur !!

mrsmiley
3/7/08 11:18:37AM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by silverbullet

If he want to pad his record again he will go to Dream, but if he want to prove to be the best in the world he will go to the UFC, with the tail between his legs !! lol

And Dana the good guy will like always forget about the pass for the good of the sport and focus on the futur !!

"The good guy"

??

tuvok500
3/7/08 11:40:22AM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by silverbullet

"The good guy"

??

Yeah, the good guy !!!
disorderlyvision
3/7/08 12:11:35PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by silverbullet

if he wants to pad his record he can sign with the ufc. like i said after big nog who has already beaten there isnt much for him to prove in the ufc either aside from maybe tim sylvia who else is there for him to fight. kongo with hardly any ground game, herring who he has beat, vera who needs to drop down to 205. who else is there jake obrien, hardonk

if he stays out of the ufc he has the ability to fight barnett, arlovski is more than likely leaving. hell even ricco, rizzo, monson, rothwell would be better match ups than most of the heavyweights the ufc has
TNunley
3/7/08 12:40:31PM
I have to say... I have never been too much of a fan of Fedor, but I like him more and more every day. He is definitely a class act, and I wouldn't be surprised if Fedor left M-1 because of the lack of competition (and maybe everyone talking him down for his recent competition).

As for timing, I think it is crazy for him to do this considering if he really DOES want to fight Randy, Randy has already taken a giant leap towards making that fight happen... and now was definitely not the time to make a move if Randy were to be free and clear. I guess if Fedor were to sign with the UFC then we would have to see how willing Randy would be about backing out of this court deal and fighting Nog then Fedor.

The contract with HDNet, from what I gather, only takes place after the contract with the UFC is up, and that is why HDNet has taken Zuffa and friends to court. I don't know how hard that would be for Randy to get out of (if he wanted to) if Fedor came to the UFC, and Randy finished his contract there. Hypothetically speaking though if Randy won both fights he would still be under contract because he would still be the champion, and then he could retire and freeze his contract with the UFC which would mean the contract with HDNet never goes into effect.

Who knows, but just when you think the fight could happen another wrench gets thrown into the deal... guess we'll just have to see if this was a smart choice. What I WOULDN'T like to see is that Randy gets released from his contract with the UFC (by court ruling), Fedor signing with a different organization, and Randy being stuck to fight for HDNet fights or retire. Then the match would most likely never take place.

-Edit-
I guess one way that Randy and the UFC could go about getting the Fedor fight to take place without Randy having to fight Nog first would be the fact that Randy has already basically said he has stepped down as the champion. So they could go about it that Nog is the reigning HW champion, and Fedor and Randy fight for a pretend #1 contender spot. Then win, lose, or draw Randy retires and Fedor either fights again (if he loses) or fights for the belt. Talk about a win, win, win situation.
bullettdodger
3/7/08 1:23:56PM

Posted by TNunley

I have to say... I have never been too much of a fan of Fedor, but I like him more and more every day. He is definitely a class act, and I wouldn't be surprised if Fedor left M-1 because of the lack of competition (and maybe everyone talking him down for his recent competition).

As for timing, I think it is crazy for him to do this considering if he really DOES want to fight Randy, Randy has already taken a giant leap towards making that fight happen... and now was definitely not the time to make a move if Randy were to be free and clear. I guess if Fedor were to sign with the UFC then we would have to see how willing Randy would be about backing out of this court deal and fighting Nog then Fedor.

The contract with HDNet, from what I gather, only takes place after the contract with the UFC is up, and that is why HDNet has taken Zuffa and friends to court. I don't know how hard that would be for Randy to get out of (if he wanted to) if Fedor came to the UFC, and Randy finished his contract there. Hypothetically speaking though if Randy won both fights he would still be under contract because he would still be the champion, and then he could retire and freeze his contract with the UFC which would mean the contract with HDNet never goes into effect.

Who knows, but just when you think the fight could happen another wrench gets thrown into the deal... guess we'll just have to see if this was a smart choice. What I WOULDN'T like to see is that Randy gets released from his contract with the UFC (by court ruling), Fedor signing with a different organization, and Randy being stuck to fight for HDNet fights or retire. Then the match would most likely never take place.

-Edit-
I guess one way that Randy and the UFC could go about getting the Fedor fight to take place without Randy having to fight Nog first would be the fact that Randy has already basically said he has stepped down as the champion. So they could go about it that Nog is the reigning HW champion, and Fedor and Randy fight for a pretend #1 contender spot. Then win, lose, or draw Randy retires and Fedor either fights again (if he loses) or fights for the belt. Talk about a win, win, win situation.

billycarnage
3/7/08 3:07:44PM
As do I
What a mess!
Porch28
3/7/08 6:32:05PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Confirmation Thursday of a rumor that circulated for weeks has made Fedor Emelianenko the most sought-after free agent in mixed martial arts … again.

The move by Emelianenko, first reported by ESPN, immediately rekindled talk of the Russian heavyweight fighting in the UFC, perhaps even against Randy Couture.

Apy Echteld, who was hired as part of the European branch of M-1 Global and is a longtime manager of the 31-year-old Russian, told ESPN's Ryan Hockensmith that Emelianenko would be willing to restart contract negotiations with the UFC once the "divorce" is finalized.

LINK

I think my heart would explode