Does Fedor Really want to fight the best

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Does Fedor Really want to fight the best
MMA4EVER
8/2/09 11:22:12PM
in my opinion no he doesnt if he wanted to fight the best he would have had his manager get the deal done the only person to blame for the deal not getting done is fedor i like fedor but he doesnt want to fight the best
postman
8/2/09 11:24:43PM
Or he is from Russia and his managment owns him their the mob man he is under the red thumb and if he defects to the us they will kill his family! Lets let this topic slepp for a day please its the same thing everyday.
seanfu
8/3/09 1:41:10AM
so I was thinking.... does Fedor really want to fight the best? I don't know. He won't sign with the UFC.........

king_katool
8/3/09 1:45:08AM
in the interviews ive seen of fedor i think its pretty clear he doesnt give 2 ***** who he fights, IMO he doesnt have a champions mentality to always be better and fight the best to prove yourself, fedor is constantly saying he doesnt care about his legacy and rankings, thats not a champion IMO, a champion should always be aspiring to fight the greatest challenge there is and to become the best there ever was, fedor does not think like this
chickmagnet
8/3/09 2:03:53AM
I dont think he has anything to prove right now. I think he could clean out the UFC's heavyweight division. I dont think there is a man in the UFC HW who he couldnt beat..He would be a heavy favorite no matter who he fights, PLUS right now there is only one important fight for Fedor to once again prove he is the best, and thats who ever the champ is, Fedor wouldnt sign a three fight deal because there is only one major fight for him in the UFC and that is Brock.

fizzle
8/3/09 2:27:19AM

Posted by chickmagnet

I dont think he has anything to prove right now. I think he could clean out the UFC's heavyweight division. I dont think there is a man in the UFC HW who he couldnt beat..He would be a heavy favorite no matter who he fights, PLUS right now there is only one important fight for Fedor to once again prove he is the best, and thats who ever the champ is, Fedor wouldnt sign a three fight deal because there is only one major fight for him in the UFC and that is Brock.

Fedor hasn't really been in the mix for a while now. This Barnett fight was going to be his first fight against real top competition in a long time. Yes he is a great fighter, but does he want to fight the best? No, I think not. It would be as simple as taking the most lucrative contract in MMA history and hoping in the cage. As Fedor has repeatedly refused to do this or been refused on the behalf of M-1 (it really doesn't matter) I personally belive that Fedor does not want to fight the best in MMA, only thing i can't get a handle on is what he plans on doing instead.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/3/09 2:37:55AM
fedor has a 3 fight deal with m1 so ................ copromotion or nothing

He was scheduled to fight the number 2 ranked barnett

who was also his friend!

the 4-1 lesnar terrifies him

yeah , that makes sense
fizzle
8/3/09 4:02:40AM
I don't think that anyone, or at least I wasn't implying that Lesnar is the best HW ever, but merely that the majority of top ranked competition HW are located in the UFC.
MiniMan
8/3/09 10:16:25AM
I just think he is too happy in the position that he is. He gets big fights here and there, And they Pay!
He would be happy fighting ANYONE on this planet I think, But Who he can fight......

There is too much to lose signing with the UFC for him, It will NEVER happen.

But it would be awesome!
george112
8/3/09 5:01:17PM
i read someone say he doesnt have a champions mentality.that someone also said fedor doesnt care about his legacy or his rankings......ummm OK so what??

your going to bash fedor because he doesnt hold himself as high as you hold him?? that doesnt make sense

leave him alone.your still going to watch i bet.and if you dont.o well.theres plenty of fans hes going to make in the US by signing with strikeforce.

the only fans hes gonna lose is UFC fans.because he didnt sign with their fav. org.

ahh its still fresh in my mind when everyone was saying how stacked Afflictions HW division was.than he beats AA and Sylvia and than all of a sudden the UFC is the place to be because of lesnar..stop flip flopping so much...

also just my thoughts
Aaronno9
8/3/09 5:08:32PM
No.
D0wnUnd6e6r
8/3/09 5:41:30PM
Well I guess not
lohmann
8/3/09 6:02:09PM
He was scheduled to fight some unranked chump named Barnett the other day, and when that fight was pulled he was willing to fight any replacement.

Emelianenko called out Lesnar a long time ago. He sought a one-fight deal. He is willing to fight anybody, just not on Dana White's terms.

I understand the disappointment, but I do not understand this particular sort of unsubstantiated hate.
AchillesHeel
8/3/09 6:08:44PM

Posted by lohmann

He was scheduled to fight some unranked chump named Barnett the other day, and when that fight was pulled he was willing to fight any replacement.

Right, and before the Barnett fight that didn't happen, Fedor hit Andrei Arlovski so hard that he was still unconscious when he fought Brett Rogers.

Posted by lohmann

Emelianenko called out Lesnar a long time ago. He sought a one-fight deal. He is willing to fight anybody, just not on Dana White's terms.

I understand the disappointment, but I do not understand this particular sort of unsubstantiated hate.

Me neither.

Incidentally, there are still a few guys out there that Fedor could fight. Scott Coker says he's working on setting up Fedor with Fabricio Werdum, Alistair Overeem, and Brett Rogers. Josh Barnett isn't an impossibility. Neither are Antonio Silva or Jeff Monson. In fact, the only two "must see" matchups in the UFC, imo, are Lesnar and Couture.
Pookie
8/3/09 6:13:45PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by lohmann

Right, and before the Barnett fight that didn't happen, Fedor hit Andrei Arlovski so hard that he was still unconscious when he fought Brett Rogers.

Posted by lohmann

Me neither.

Incidentally, there are still a few guys out there that Fedor could fight. Scott Coker says he's working on setting up Fedor with Fabricio Werdum, Alistair Overeem, and Brett Rogers. Josh Barnett isn't an impossibility. Neither are Antonio Silva or Jeff Monson. In fact, the only two "must see" matchups in the UFC, imo, are Lesnar and Couture.

*Pookie aligns himself with these guys*
george112
8/3/09 6:14:16PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by lohmann

Posted by lohmann

Me neither.

once again

nickcuc547
8/3/09 7:01:19PM

Posted by chickmagnet

I agree he could beat anybody in the ufc, but he hasn't done it yet so in my mind he still has something to prove.
ncordless
8/3/09 8:36:30PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by chickmagnet

I agree he could beat anybody in the ufc, but he hasn't done it yet so in my mind he still has something to prove.

It seems strange to me that the #1 HW is the one with something to prove. Usually it is the challengers that should be seeking out the champ... not a champ trying to seek out challengers.
raymurda
8/5/09 1:00:45AM
the sad thing is fedor was on the confrence call and DIDNT SAY 1 WORD. finklestine did all the talking. Dana white is a down to earth guy and easy to talk to from what i see in his blog. theres no reason fedor doesnt say a word. M-1 was trying to reach there hand in and take 50% of what the UFC built after 15 years witch is BS. zuffa and the UFC made the right bizz decision. i personally belive fedor didnt want to fight brock in a cage for his forst event. i dont care what the fedor nutt huggers say, he has never been in a cage and faced off with some 1 as explosive as lesnar. lesnar would out wrestle randleman and we seen what the monster did to fedor ( yes he did get the kamura 15 seconds later) but fedor TDD isnt all that good.
AchillesHeel
8/5/09 11:07:01AM
So let me see if I have this right: People who support a 30-1 fighter are "nut huggers", and people who support a 4-1 fighter aren't? And a fight that happened eight and half years ago is somehow more revealing than the 27 subsequent fights?

EDIT: Ack. Sorry, I got your posts mixed up. The comment about the Arona fight was in the other thread.

I don't know whether Lesnar would out-wrestle Kevin Randleman, and neither do you. However, we do know that Lesnar couldn't out-wrestle Randy Couture, and that out-wrestling Frank Mir and Heath Herring is no great feat. We also know that Min Soo Kim was a 2-and-5 fighter before fighting Lesnar (and one of those wins was against a guy who was 13-20). If you're going to cling to Lesnar's thigh like the woman in a Frank Frazetta painting, you ought to at least understand what Lesnar brings to the table. I'll give you a hint: It isn't his wrestling.
Rush
8/5/09 12:01:10PM
I'll have to watch the fight again to confirm, but I think he outwrestled Couture.
AchillesHeel
8/5/09 1:43:33PM

Posted by Rush

I'll have to watch the fight again to confirm, but I think he outwrestled Couture.

I just watched it again myself. If you "zero out" Lesnar's physical advantages, I think Couture was the better wrestler. Lesnar was 2-for-4 in takedown attempts - Randy stuffed both of his shots but not his single-legs - and Randy was 0-for-2 in his takedown attempts (and it's hard to know whether Lesnar twice grabbing the fence made any difference, except that if it was irrelevant, he probably wouldn't have done it). They were back-and-forth in the clinch. On the ground, Lesnar was able to lay on Couture for a bit, but couldn't do much more than that, and Couture was able to work towards a sweep that forced Lesnar to let him up, almost disastrously.

In the context of top-level MMA, Lesnar's wrestling is good, not great. Lesnar outweighed Couture by almost the same amount that Fedor outweighs Shinya Aoki, and he was barely able to break even in the grappling exchanges. His size, strength and speed are his real weapons, and so far the only guys he's outclassed with his wrestling have been crummy wrestlers.

I do give Lesnar the first round against Couture, 10-9, because when scoring an actual fight, you don't "zero out" anything - if a guy is bigger and younger, good for him - and you don't deduct a point for an infraction unless the referee tells you to. In the end, Lesnar beat Couture with his punching power. I would say the same about his win over Heath Herring. The punch that broke Herring's face in the first round couldn't have been insignificant, although it's easy to imagine a rematch playing out in much the same way (although we'd be stupid to discount the possibility that it could be Herring who lands the big punch that puts Lesnar into La-La Land for the rest of the fight).
pv3Hpv3p
8/5/09 3:00:18PM

Posted by raymurda

the sad thing is fedor was on the confrence call and DIDNT SAY 1 WORD. finklestine did all the talking. Dana white is a down to earth guy and easy to talk to from what i see in his blog.

IDK, there is a problem of a language barrier, Fedor doesn't speak any English and I don't think Dana can speak Russian (not even in French )
cmill21
8/5/09 11:55:52PM

Posted by Rush

Randy was able to push him around and take him down a bit.
Art_Jimmerson
8/6/09 3:40:03AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Rush

Randy hardly pushed Brock around. And how exactly do you take someone down "a bit", surely you either get a takedown or you don't?
AchillesHeel
8/6/09 10:06:36AM

Posted by Art_Jimmerson

Posted by cmill21

Randy hardly pushed Brock around. And how exactly do you take someone down "a bit", surely you either get a takedown or you don't?

You might both be misremembering. Randy most certainly pushed Brock around. They were pretty even in the clinch, and had each other against the cage more than once. Randy never got a clean takedown. There was one sort-of-sweep/sort-of-single-leg, which might be what cmill is thinking of. I didn't score that as a takedown myself. There were also two instances where Brock grabbed the cage to avoid being taken down. Again, you can't score those as takedowns, but I suppose you could award Randy a couple of "moral victories" on those.
sketch21
8/9/09 1:26:55AM
I dont think we can say, let alone judge, until we really know the whole picture

yes, it does seem that Fedor is shying away from the best, but there's a lot of factors at hand

unless we know the whole picture, actually see/read/understand the contract UFC wants Fedor to sign, then we should refrain from making judgment call

we could speculate, but let's not judge, it'll just make us seem like an ignorant idiot