Fedor Emilianenko VS Jeff Monson

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fedor Emilianenko VS Jeff Monson
Next Page »
komodo20
10/26/07 5:51:16PM
According to a recent article on Sherdog, Fedor Emilianenko is rumored to be fighting Jeff Monson in his first fight under the M-1 Global promotion. The article quoted a recent interview Monson did with with Roguemag.com while promoting MMA in Auckland, New Zealand. The First M-1 Global event is rumored to take place in February.

Nothing sounds signed, but it looks like M-1 is looking to get a well known fighter to fight Fedor. Monson is not a top ten heavyweight, but he is well know by fans all over the world.
madmarck
10/26/07 5:55:48PM
His grappling skills would defintly be a good counter to Fedors Sambo.
Only problem is that Monson lacks the stand up and GNP.
Also Fedor fights at a furious pace where as Monson tends to be methodical. I think Fedor could overwhelm him with strikes on the feet fairly easily then GNP him out.
bayonetxwork
10/26/07 5:58:31PM
Wow Fedor is going to kill him...I like Monson(minus the whole hey, i'm an anarchist thing), but he's no match for Fedor on the feet, or on the ground unless he ends up on top.
Californiastrangler
10/26/07 6:07:17PM
This fight was already supposed to have happened in Bodog but Monson couldn't fight so Fedor fought Matt Lindland instead. Monson could submit Fedor on the ground and he is definitley stronger, but Fedor is more explosive and a better striker. Obviously everyone will take Fedor but Im calling the huge upset with Monson winning via decision.
tuvok500
10/26/07 6:25:19PM
by reading your answers. it is sure that you did not see Monson's last fight !!

it was Mnoson against Pedro Rizzo and Monson was nowhere close to be call a fighter or an athlete.

he was out of shape completely, defenceless and he was TKO at the third very easely. also, he was breading very fast after only 1 min after the beginning of the fight, it was a joke !!

so, i don' know where you are ranking Pedro Rizzo in 2007 but for me, he is nowhere close to a top 20 fighters !!

if by a miracle, Monson win against Fedor, well, i am already reading all the excuse and reason and suposely facts possible to defend Fedor !!

so Fedor rd 1 KO for me !!

wrona666
10/26/07 7:16:33PM
This should be a short and painful night for Monson.
wapttn
10/26/07 7:26:58PM
This fight is a perfect reason why fedor should've signed with the ufc. Politics aside.. which is a hard thing for people to grasp, Fedor would've been guaranteed top competition in the ufc. Randy would've stayed, Nog, and sylvia.. not to mention AA, CC, GG if any of them were to pull it together. And i'm pretty sure that it would only be a matter of time before the rest of the worlds top10 would have signed.

Now.. the best case senario is that hes matched up against hunt, barnett, rodriguez, or kharitonov. The fact that they're trying to work the monson deal shows that getting top competition for fedor will be no easy task. I suspect even fedor depressed that this is the level of competition that he's stuck with.
cmill21
10/26/07 7:28:50PM
You guys do realize if Fedor signed with the UFC he'd be fighting some no name in his first fight right?
tuvok500
10/26/07 7:37:17PM

Posted by cmill21

You guys do realize if Fedor signed with the UFC he'd be fighting some no name in his first fight right?

no man !!!

i think it was going to be a direct fight against couture, same way that hendo was having a direct title shot against jackson !!!

AndrewRJ
10/26/07 7:38:10PM
its okay fedor will win by death in the first 5 seconds... terrible mismiatch. SOMEONE HELP COTOURE FIGHT FEDOR
obeyjj
10/26/07 7:43:16PM
As far as Monson not being anywhere close to being called an athlete or a fighter, this is such a total bullshit comment I'm going to just skip blasting you for it and just let it speak for your ignorance. Live long and prosper trekkie.

Monson stood in the pocket with Rizzo for three rounds.
He has improved his standup considerably from the Sylvia fight (which was a 25 minutes/5 rounds).
He was caught, hurt and finished by Rizzo and was hardly defenseless.
He is a ADCC champion, and perrenial top grappler.

I agree, Monson isn't a top ten competitor but he is at least, a top 15 guy and Fedor has to be built by guys like these at first in M-1. Monson is still a good fighter and a decent test for Fedor in his first fight back to heavyweight competition.
tuvok500
10/26/07 7:50:22PM

Posted by obeyjj

As far as Monson not being anywhere close to being called an athlete or a fighter, this is such a total bullshit comment I'm going to just skip blasting you for it and just let it speak for your ignorance. Live long and prosper trekkie.

Monson stood in the pocket with Rizzo for three rounds.
He has improved his standup considerably from the Sylvia fight (which was a 25 minutes/5 rounds).
He was caught, hurt and finished by Rizzo and was hardly defenseless.
He is a ADCC champion, and perrenial top grappler.

I agree, Monson isn't a top ten competitor but he is at least, a top 15 guy and Fedor has to be built by guys like these at first in M-1. Monson is still a good fighter and a decent test for Fedor in his first fight back to heavyweight competition.

I said he was nowhere close to be call a fighter in this fight man !!!

his past good result are still there and i don't denied it at all !!

you should buy a new pair of glass man because you have completely missed the fight man !!!

wapttn
10/26/07 8:06:50PM
fedor was guaranteed a fight against the champion as his first fight.

And if you think monson is good, then you must think sylvia is a god. Sylvia owned him for 5 rounds, and had more near submissions than the ADCC champion. I'd say its a good tune up fight for fedor, but the last thing that any fedor fans wanna see if a tune up fight, especially a 1st round tko.
cmill21
10/26/07 8:11:05PM
You guys don't read, Fedor said he wanted a match to get the cage figured...
obeyjj
10/26/07 8:18:48PM
This is what you wrote, if it isn't what you meant then you need to take a deep breath and think a little bit more about what you are writing before it just spills out onto the keyboard:

"it was Mnoson against Pedro Rizzo and Monson was nowhere close to be call a fighter or an athlete."

Regardless of what you meant, Jeff Monson is a fighter and an athlete, regardless of who he fights. To say he isn't, in ANY context or however which was you want to spin it, is stupid. It's stupid and ignorant man, and I don't really even like Jeff Monson as a fighter, but I know he IS a fighter and an athlete. That is irrefutable fact.

Does Monson have to punch out Janeway to be a legit fighter or what?

edit:

wapttn - Yes Monson isn't the greatest fighter ever, but if you think he isn't GOOD? Then you fight him because apparently he's a total can and not worth a shit. Sylvia put him in a triangle, so what? Just because someone is put into a triangle in a mma fight by somone with like 5 ft long legs, doesn't mean that suck, please. Hughes gets put in triangles all the time and gets out of them, watch the Charuto fight.
Ultimate_fighter
10/26/07 8:45:37PM
I think fedor will win GNP... but barely.... i think monson will give him a good challenge... if fedor loses, then what? We are probably going to say Tim Sylvia can beat fedor now... which sylvia probably could... i dont believe fedor is number 1 at all.... i dont even think he is top 8!
kerazzle
10/26/07 8:53:26PM
I dont mind this fight actually, although I'd much rather see him fight barnett, i think that Jeff monson would provide a tough challenge and should be an interesting clash of styles. Good fight for fedor after a long layoff.
cmill21
10/26/07 8:57:54PM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

I think fedor will win GNP... but barely.... i think monson will give him a good challenge... if fedor loses, then what? We are probably going to say Tim Sylvia can beat fedor now... which sylvia probably could... i dont believe fedor is number 1 at all.... i dont even think he is top 8!

Odd considering the camp your in...
tuvok500
10/26/07 9:05:50PM

Posted by obeyjj

This is what you wrote, if it isn't what you meant then you need to take a deep breath and think a little bit more about what you are writing before it just spills out onto the keyboard:

"it was Mnoson against Pedro Rizzo and Monson was nowhere close to be call a fighter or an athlete."

Regardless of what you meant, Jeff Monson is a fighter and an athlete, regardless of who he fights. To say he isn't, in ANY context or however which was you want to spin it, is stupid. It's stupid and ignorant man, and I don't really even like Jeff Monson as a fighter, but I know he IS a fighter and an athlete. That is irrefutable fact.

Does Monson have to punch out Janeway to be a legit fighter or what?

edit:

wapttn - Yes Monson isn't the greatest fighter ever, but if you think he isn't GOOD? Then you fight him because apparently he's a total can and not worth a shit. Sylvia put him in a triangle, so what? Just because someone is put into a triangle in a mma fight by somone with like 5 ft long legs, doesn't mean that suck, please. Hughes gets put in triangles all the time and gets out of them, watch the Charuto fight.

Hey the clown !!!

you seem pretty good when it come to name the star trek name !!
the difference between you and me is that i saw the fight live and you have read the fight comment on sherdog man !!

we were 200 to watch it live and we were unanimous about how bad was the conditionning of Monson.
now you can try to twist my sentence to extend it to the complete career of Monson but it is not going to impress an to foul anybody here man !!

the argument of the week are " you are stupid and etc ... " so i now know what kind of guy you are for real man !!

tuvok500
10/26/07 9:08:12PM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

well, not top 8 is a little to much for me but i agree that he is not number 1 on the actual 2007 ranking.

i have him 5th !!

NatedawgThaM
10/26/07 9:08:12PM
Fedor by Unanimous Decision or late stoppage...

in the Tim fight Monson showed he can take a bad beating so I doubt he gets stopped just because Fedor hasn't fought in awhile so I think there ground game is equal since Fedor could be rusty but I think Fedor wins by out striking him so I think he wins by UD or late stoppage..
creativedestruction
10/26/07 10:42:22PM
Monson couldnt even take down a shot Rizzo. Tim Sylvia's ground game was too much for Monson too.
obeyjj
10/26/07 10:46:49PM
Tuvok - Yeah I know what Star trek is, its been around for 40 years. If you want to get into an argument over who is the bigger Trek nerd, I've noticed also you have a borg quote in your signature on top of the tuvok handle. Enough said. I'll ignore the clown "joke".

Look buddy, my whole point was you are in no position to question whether or not Jeff Monson is a fighter and an athlete. He gets into a ******* cage and fights for a living, he goes to ATT and spars/trains with those guys, for a living. He is a fighter and an athlete and anyone who doesn't think that, is an idiot, I'm sorry. I never called you stupid, I said you are saying stupid and ignorant things, which you are. This whole thing is about you saying Jeff Monson isn't an athlete or a fighter.

Stop making me defend Monson please. Give him a little bit of respect. Thats it.

x_soa_x
10/26/07 10:57:44PM
Jeff has a bigger chance than anyone's giving him, and the grappling skills to give Fedor a lot of trouble. He lost to Sylvia mainly because of a severe size disadvantage, with Sylvia being possibly even twice his size. That size disadvantage is a lot smaller now. Fedor really isn't a giant. As far as grappling and strength go, Monson beats Fedor, but Fedor has the striking and the wrestling ability in my opinion. Someone else mentioned Monson's methodical style and how much more explosive Fedor is, but I think that could work to Monson's favor. He might be able to keep him under control and work his game diligently.

However, I'll pick Fedor by UD. Just saying, Monson isn't hopeless.
x_soa_x
10/26/07 10:58:59PM

Posted by obeyjj

Tuvok - Yeah I know what Star trek is, its been around for 40 years. If you want to get into an argument over who is the bigger Trek nerd, I've noticed also you have a borg quote in your signature on top of the tuvok handle. Enough said. I'll ignore the clown "joke".

Look buddy, my whole point was you are in no position to question whether or not Jeff Monson is a fighter and an athlete. He gets into a ******* cage and fights for a living, he goes to ATT and spars/trains with those guys, for a living. He is a fighter and an athlete and anyone who doesn't think that, is an idiot, I'm sorry. I never called you stupid, I said you are saying stupid and ignorant things, which you are. This whole thing is about you saying Jeff Monson isn't an athlete or a fighter.

Stop making me defend Monson please. Give him a little bit of respect. Thats it.

He's saying that in that fight, Monson didn't at all look like an athlete or a fighter to him. Not saying I agree with him, just trying to make his point more clear.
tuvok500
10/26/07 11:08:44PM

Posted by obeyjj

well, man, if you jump on every guy who say that a fighter was not good or that he is no longer a fighter like he was before, well, you will have to tape on your keyboard 24/7 man !!!

i have read some post who were saying like 100 times worse thing that me on a fighter man !!
of course the guy is giving his best and he train as hard as he can but i was speaking about his last fight man, maybe he was sick, or injure but it was not the same monson that i was seeing before. i was having him to win the fight man, i don't hate him, but you have to be fair and admitt that he was not the monson of before.
he may be very good in his next fight but if you say that we can say anything wrong on a fighter because we don't fight, well, you will have to stop reading this forum man, because the majority of peoples here are fans and not fighter.

as for the star trek stuff, well, if you are a fan of star trek it is ok with me and if you don't well, it is ok too, i don't see the point of starting to put my avatar name in the discusion man.

in fact if you read all my post, i am a moderate here compare to others, so you may have chosen the wrong guy to jump on man !!!

obeyjj
10/26/07 11:33:23PM
Next time just say: I was at the Art of War card, I saw Monson vs. Rizzo, Monson looked like shit. Thats it. Regardless of what you meant, because I know English isn't your first language, it was written a very different way. Maybe what you meant was "Monson's cardio sucked and his standup sucked".

He is a fighter and an athlete, thats the basis of this argument for me, whenever he's fighting, whoever he's fighting. If he sucked against Rizzo in your opinion thats fine, just say so. I couldn't give a shit if he is good/great/bad/poor/shit/fair/sucky whatever, I think he is ok/good and if someone says he sucks, then I don't have a problem with it. But he IS a fighter, he IS an athlete. Maybe just use some different words next time.

edit:
This probably was just a misunderstanding to begin with anyway.

tuvok500
10/26/07 11:39:51PM

Posted by obeyjj

Next time just say: I was at the Art of War card, I saw Monson vs. Rizzo, Monson looked like shit. Thats it. Regardless of what you meant, because I know English isn't your first language, it was written a very different way. Maybe what you meant was "Monson's cardio sucked and his standup sucked". But you said you he couldn't be called an athlete or fighter from that fight. That would be ok too.

He is a fighter and an athlete, thats the basis of this argument for me. I couldn't give a shit if he is good/great/bad/poor/shit/fair/sucky whatever, I think he is ok/good and if someone says he sucks, then I don't have a problem with it. But he IS a fighter, he IS an athlete. Maybe just use some different words next time.

edit:
This probably was just a misunderstanding to begin with anyway.

well, ok, but for me look like shit is worse than i said !!

you are right, i am french, i am improuving in english but i am not going to learn the street language like that !!

the only thing we have in english here where i live is the word STOP at every corners !!! LOL

HughesFanInILL
10/27/07 12:28:03AM
People need to understand Fedor has no comepition now because he has already beaten the best. Nobody in the UFC except Randy would be a good fight for Fedor. He beat Nog already ,he beat Cro Cop at his best. Hunt is a hell of alot better then Sylvia. He would smoke Gonzaga or Andre.
tuvok500
10/27/07 12:43:58AM

Posted by HughesFanInILL

People need to understand Fedor has no comepition now because he has already beaten the best. Nobody in the UFC except Randy would be a good fight for Fedor. He beat Nog already ,he beat Cro Cop at his best. Hunt is a hell of alot better then Sylvia. He would smoke Gonzaga or Andre.

well, the same kind of statement was wrote about cro cop !!
his only real competition was fedor and the rest was scraps !!

i am not going to count out GG and Big Nog, if they were fighting in 2008 against fedor , it is completely irrelevant what they did in a ring before with another set of rules and etc.. fighters are evolving and you can have a completely different fighter with only 1 years of intence and news kind of trainning in an octogon !!

GG is a young fighter and he can comeback very strong soon !!

Fedor can also be very good in a cage, but, we will have to wait and see before stating that he will be as good as in a ring and that he will be able do what he want against anybody !!

Pages: [1] 2