Fedor Emelianenko Wants One Fight Deal With UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fedor Emelianenko Wants One Fight Deal With UFC
Next Page »
MMAcca
6/5/09 1:20:12PM
From the LA Times blog:

Joost Raimond, the operations manager of Emelianenko's global promotion company M-1, invited the winner of the July 11 UFC heavyweight championship fight between Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir to attend the Emelianenko-Barnett bout, and pushed for the UFC to allow Emelianenko to fight that man as part of a one-fight contract on a card that could be fully promoted by UFC.

LINK
The_Ho_Bag
6/5/09 1:20:54PM
Lesnar vs fedor
KingCmb
6/5/09 1:31:30PM
u mean Mir vs fedor
mrsmiley
6/5/09 1:45:03PM

You guys mean
Mir VS Barnett!
StorminYourman
6/5/09 2:40:59PM
Dana would never let this happen.
cmill21
6/5/09 2:55:37PM
He should let it happen, sure it's a risk but there's also a nice payoff
Giant_Ochai
6/5/09 2:57:48PM
Dana won't want his HW Champion destroyed by a guy who will leave immediately.
MMAcca
6/5/09 3:12:20PM

Posted by cmill21

However Dana is making Fedor instantly famous also
chickmagnet
6/5/09 3:36:38PM
I think all the possible matchups are very interesting:

Fedor vs. Lesnar
Fedor vs. Mir
Barnett vs. Lesnar
Barnett vs. Mir

I would like to see Fedor in the UFC for at least four fights. I really want to see Fedor/Couture.
mentalcase
6/5/09 3:37:32PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Dana won't want his HW Champion destroyed by a guy who will leave immediately.

exactly, and this is why it will never happen
ocho-cinco
6/5/09 3:50:04PM
Yeah, Dana is going to risk having his champion get beat then the new champ fighting for another organization right after..... nobody is that stupid, especially Dana. Just a stupid proposal..... Mabey a fight with Couture would make sense. It's a fight that makes Randy, and Fedor happy, makes a killing on PPV buys, and opens the door for Fedor to remain in the UFC. But there is no way they would ever sign anyone to a one fight contract and give him a title fight.
ncordless
6/5/09 4:01:33PM
It sucks that the UFC and the greatest mixed martial artist in history will probably never come to an agreement.
juddy33
6/5/09 4:31:08PM
it is a business decision for dana and more of a fighter decision for fedor to fight best before he loses it but fedor is making enough money overseas it is not even funny. Fedor should just sign a four fight deal and retire after that cuz after four solid wins I think he has nothing else to do in the sport but maybe train. No one likes fighters who fight past there prime but it is hard to say for Fedor cuz russians like him are not human. Fedor would make more then any other fighter in history for sure cuz how hard is it to promote the baddest man on the planet.
McBee
6/5/09 4:51:08PM
I think fedor's manager is trying to discredit the UFC by saying this because it is not constructive because it is not how the UFC works and is obviously to a 2 year old that the UFC would not touch it with a 40 foot pole, complete retardation, if they actually think this would work and the UFC would want to there is not business school or logic in general in Russia at all.
Kpro
6/5/09 5:00:53PM
Sounds good with one stipulation.

One fight contract if he loses.

4 minimum if he wins.
McBee
6/5/09 5:01:43PM

Posted by Kpro

Sounds good with one stipulation.

One fight contract if he loses.

4 minimum if he wins.

now that sounds like the UFC
Hendo67
6/5/09 5:26:28PM

Posted by ncordless

It sucks that the UFC and the greatest mixed martial artist in history will probably never come to an agreement.

TNPanther78
6/5/09 5:34:22PM

Posted by Hendo67

Posted by ncordless

I agree with this, it sucks that they will never come to an agreement. I would like to see Fedor come into the UFC and take on some of the elite in the heavyweight division.
AchillesHeel
6/5/09 6:22:22PM

Posted by cmill21

I don't see it. I'm not sure Fedor has the name recognition to make a single appearance terribly lucrative. I think Affliction events have drawn about 1/5th the pay-per-view buys of UFC events. Some of that is due to the organizations in question and not the fighters. A UFC event featuring Fedor would surely get many more buys than an Affliction event featuring Fedor, but I don't think it would get more than a UFC event featuring any of their other stars. The people who would watch a UFC event to see Fedor probably already watch UFC events. I think if the UFC wanted to make something out of a relationship with Fedor, it would be a multi-fight process, like they did with Rampage and Big Nog, and like they tried to do with Cro Cop.
three_days_of_grey
6/5/09 6:36:53PM
Questions.
Is this, coupled with the earlier thread about M-1 wanting everyone to know they're willing to co-promote with any organization, indicative of Affliction's future? Beyond the Barnett fight, is there a worthy adversary within Affliction or another org. with an open contract to fight Fedor?
Is there really enough room in the PPV market for more than 1 major player? For me, even the UFC is scheduling events too closely and I had to make the choice between UFC 99 or 100. Really a no-brainer, but I can't rationalize $100 in PPV in the same billing cycle for 98 and 99. Then in August, choice between UFC 101 and Aff 3 and the 101 card looks really solid.
I think Affliction's future lies within the empty recesses of my wallet. What is saving Strikeforce is thier business model of live-event and TV coverage. If they were to throw their hat into the PPV ring, it would be a nightmare for fighters as organizations fight for scraps.

-OUT-
Jackelope
6/5/09 6:52:41PM
Normally I'd be all for something like this, but we're forgetting the HW fighters in the UFC who would feel ripped. We already have people all over the boards arguing for who deserves a shot at the HW belt next. Let's put it on hold for a 1 fight deal against a guy who is going to bail from the organization win or lose. That's some serious disrespect to Cain, Carwin, Kongo, and the numerous other HW's climbing the ranks.

This is all just words from M-1. It makes perfect sense for them to say it, but it just doesn't make business sense from the UFC's standpoint to go along with it. The only way it would is if there was some kind of Anderson Silva situation at HW in the UFC. There isn't, though. So, until a HW runs through every competitor out there we won't see it.

That is, unless Dana feels willing to back his words that Fedor isn't the best fighter in the world. Which of course he doesn't.

prozacnation1978
6/5/09 7:30:33PM
it shouldn't happen one it will tie up division for at least another 9 months plus
non title match have fedor face randy couture

plus i do think that one fight might turn into many more in ufc
but it would be nice if fedor did fight once in ufc
lohmann
6/5/09 8:34:37PM
There's no negotiation here; it's just two sides that want to define the terms, and there's no middle ground. The reason White wants Emelianenko (to keep) is because the addition of the undisputed king of the heavyweights would lure a lot of other fighters floating around outside the UFC to the UFC. A one-fight deal is pointlessly bad business for the UFC, so I really can't fault him.

I think Emelianenko's career will start winding down once Affliction goes bankrupt, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a deal materalize when he's motioning for retirement from MMA.
xdanish020
6/5/09 9:00:15PM
Won't happen, keep dreaming.
decken
6/5/09 9:42:31PM
I actually think this could happen. Dana could give fedor a one fight contract but it would have the normal championship clause in it. So if fedor wins he is in the UFC until he loses or retires and if Fedor loses then Dana can say he is overrated.
Manfred
6/5/09 11:39:33PM
How 'bout a non-title fight? He could fight the Champ without the belt on the line, avoiding the Championship clause.

I doubt it will happen though
John_Jobber
6/6/09 12:51:01PM
Not happening, Dana has been ducking Fedor since he was wearing diapers.

Fedor fighting in the UFC would show all the world what UFC really is: a big commercial hype machine complete with pushing chosen TV stars undeservedly up the ranks while firing higher quality but less marketable fighters.
EliasG
6/6/09 7:28:23PM
It's a good call by M-1. They risk little by making the offer. Especially since they figure it will be rejected. Free publicity. Now if they could just get Sasha Baron Cohen to land his bare behind on Fedor at an award's show they'd get crazy play in the media...
tdietel01
6/6/09 7:48:42PM
I really have no idea why people still want to see Fedor vs couture?? Randy is too old and i dont think will make it out of the first 2 minutes. mir lesnar GG Kongo aa again and barnett all would be a better fight IMO.
ncordless
6/6/09 8:37:37PM

Posted by Jackelope

Normally I'd be all for something like this, but we're forgetting the HW fighters in the UFC who would feel ripped. We already have people all over the boards arguing for who deserves a shot at the HW belt next. Let's put it on hold for a 1 fight deal against a guy who is going to bail from the organization win or lose. That's some serious disrespect to Cain, Carwin, Kongo, and the numerous other HW's climbing the ranks.

This is all just words from M-1. It makes perfect sense for them to say it, but it just doesn't make business sense from the UFC's standpoint to go along with it. The only way it would is if there was some kind of Anderson Silva situation at HW in the UFC. There isn't, though. So, until a HW runs through every competitor out there we won't see it.

That is, unless Dana feels willing to back his words that Fedor isn't the best fighter in the world. Which of course he doesn't.

I usually agree with you, but this time I do not. Normally I agree that there has to be some kind of moving up process through a UFC division before a title shot, but Fedor would have to be the exception. It might be debatable if Fedor is p4p #1, but it is a a stone cold fact that he is the #1 HW in the world right now and has been for years. Cain, Carwin, Kongo, and anyone else would be absolutely foolish to feel disrespected by Fedor getting a shot ahead of them. None of them has done anything remotely close to what Fedor has done in his career. Cain only has five wins in whole career. Carwin's biggest win is Gonzaga. Kongo lost to Heath Herring pretty recently. None of them deserves to fight for the title like Fedor deserves it. In fact, the UFC HW title would be almost meaningless if Fedor was in the UFC and somebody else held the title without defending it against Fedor.

At least now the UFC HW title means the best HW in the UFC. It puts the likes of Mir and Lesnar in the conversation with people like Barnett and the Monster that used to be Alistair Overeem about who is the best HW besides Fedor.
Pages: [1] 2