Fedor Emelianenko to Strikeforce, UFC Declares War, What Does It All Mean?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fedor Emelianenko to Strikeforce, UFC Declares War, What Does It All Mean?
emfleek
8/4/09 8:28:08AM
Well, the Fedor has hit the proverbial fan, or should I say the fans. There is debate as to whether or not this is a game changer. Michael David Smith says yes:

I've long believed that any MMA promotion wanting to compete with the UFC needed to do one of two things: Develop the best women's division in the sport, and sign Fedor Emelianenko.

STORY
MiniMan
8/4/09 8:57:02AM
Look out UFC, They got Fedor! woooooooo
sparky
8/4/09 9:20:23AM
Fedor is going to whipe out the Strikeforce Heavy Weight division and be right back to square one!!!
Zekeil
8/4/09 9:29:09AM
R.I.P. strikeforce

Should have kept that sensible buisness plan that has kept them around for a long time.
prozacnation1978
8/4/09 9:33:34AM
i don't know how the ufc would declare war on strikeforce unless they put their pay per views on same days as strikeforce events, what else can they do??
bojangalz
8/4/09 9:34:44AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i don't know how the ufc would declare war on strikeforce unless they put their pay per views on same days as strikeforce events, what else can they do??

Finalize that deal with ESPN and get UFC counter programming on ABC... That's probably a good place to start.
imanidiot777
8/4/09 9:37:56AM

Posted by bojangalz

Finalize that deal with ESPN and get UFC counter programming on ABC... That's probably a good place to start.

They probably don't even have to do that to kill Strikeforce, even a decent fight night on Spike on the same night as Strikeforce would be enough to damage their viewership and I'm sure they paid out the ass for Fedor it will kill them financially. But if they did get a deal on ESPN/ABC Strikeforce is 100% doomed.
postman
8/4/09 10:49:48AM
Now say Strikeforce said Fedor gets 10 million a fight will M-1 pick up 5 million of that?
Giant_Ochai
8/4/09 11:18:40AM
Love to watch the UFC fanboys cry.
1daveufc
8/4/09 12:24:58PM
well am not bothered if strikeforce goes bust or not its not about promotions like strikeforce or ufc or dream.All a want to see is the best fighters fighting each other thats why am gutted about fedor going to strikeforce.M1-says its not about money to them its about the sport. But thats not the case cause they wud of signed with the ufc if they had wanted to help develope the sport.
george112
8/4/09 12:31:18PM
imo strikefore isnt going to go bust.i dont see why they would.
they have plenty of other fighters that bring in views.not to mention gina and the womans mma.AND fedor.not that fedor himself is a huge US draw.but come on strikeforce is not stupid.give them a little credit.with the right exposure/marketing in the US this could turn out to be big for strikeforce.this could very possibly catapault them into the big leagues as far as competing with the UFC
SpiderSilva
8/4/09 1:23:11PM

Posted by postman

Now say Strikeforce said Fedor gets 10 million a fight will M-1 pick up 5 million of that?

More like whatever strikeforce makes M-1 gets half(only when fedor fights though)

That's good for mma right?
Aether
8/4/09 5:11:24PM

Posted by postman

No, I believe that they would get 10-15% of that, as "managers". But then they also get a certain portion of the overall profits of the card itself added on top. Maybe half, who knows though, We'll have to wait for the specifics of the deal to be released.

Essentially M-1 is being paid twice, as managers and as promoters, despite the fact that they are doing absolutely nothing whatsoever to help with promotion.
EliasG
8/4/09 5:49:25PM
No, from what I've read, M-1 keeps the rights to broadcast outside of the US. That means that they can broadcast in Russia, Europe, and Asia where Fedor has strong fanbases. They won't have to promote or pay production costs for the most part so it's a good situation for them. They make revenue without having to do much work.
cmill21
8/4/09 6:44:22PM
Well Strikeforce has the ability to be on tv in Japan.
hippysmacker
8/4/09 6:53:01PM

that , or put a free show on spike at the same time.maybe thsi will even spur the UFC to do a broadcast network TV deal with fox or someone else .