Fedor Emelianenko Signs with Strikeforce

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fedor Emelianenko Signs with Strikeforce
« Previous Page | Next Page »
McBee
8/3/09 3:37:12PM

Posted by Aether

rofl... good luck surviving with Fedor on the payroll strikeforce.

What does he do after he beats Overeem and possibly Werdum? Fight Brett Rodgers?

UFC scraps like always, at least one these fighters, nog, cc, couture or carwin will probably end up outside of the UFC in a year or two and will have the biggest name recognition to fight Fedor.
McBee
8/3/09 3:40:59PM

Posted by moob

Disappointing in a way, as this significantly narrows his potential opponents.

What bothers me is the posters who believe Fedor is dodging anyone - why would he need to dodge anyone?

Bottom line is the UFC didn't wanna co-promote an event, and it's their ego that's getting in the way of what the fans want.

are you serious?! co-promotion is as ridiculous a command as building an arena in Russia, Fedor is held in contract by Vadim like some Japanese baseball player with a KGB gun to his back, this is Vadim's fault alone.
emfleek
8/3/09 3:41:53PM
Okay, so let's say the UFC makes this one time exception for Fedor.

What happens in the future with OTHER fighters? I think it's safe to say that there *will* be other fighters that are of the same (or better) caliber than Fedor at some point down the line. Should the UFC co-promote with other organizations, too? At what point does it end?

The UFC *does* give fans what they want (see the recently scrapped Henderson/Franklin 2 fight). There are exceptions to every rule. Fedor is the exception. Why can't Fedor be the one giving the fans what they want? The UFC already caved on ALL of his demands and gave him everything HE wants...except for the co-promotion request.

Negotiating is a 2-way street and apparently the UFC was the only car on that street.
WheelchairBandit
8/3/09 3:46:35PM
Vadim and Fedor want to "co-promote",which is Russian for "we get half of the profits for the entire card,just for Fedor fighting on it."That's the bottom line.M-1 has never "promotoed" sh!t when co-promoting.They co-promotoed both of Fedor's fights in Affliction........but do you remember any promoting from M-1 for either fight?Nope.Hell,there was hardly any promoting from Affliction for those fights!

The UFC is run by sharp businessmen.They know at the end of the day,Fedor is just another fighter.They can sign over half of their business to a bunch of Russian goons just to get this guy.Then what?What if he goes in there and gets creamed in his first fight?And then in his second fight?They just lost an ass load of money AND they're tied up legally with a bunch of shady characters they don't want anything to do with.

All this for ONE fighter,who at the end of the day,they don't really need.Fedor can never step foot in the octogon,and the UFC will keep right on truckin and keep getting bigger and bigger.Fedor on the other hand,is running out of legit opponents-he's literally waiting around for UFC cast aways at this point.

The UFC offered Fedor and his people the best deal in MMA history,and they flat refused it.Take that FWIW.

WB.
ncordless
8/3/09 3:55:39PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by Aether

rofl... good luck surviving with Fedor on the payroll strikeforce.

What does he do after he beats Overeem and possibly Werdum? Fight Brett Rodgers?

UFC scraps like always, at least one these fighters, nog, cc, couture or carwin will probably end up outside of the UFC in a year or two and will have the biggest name recognition to fight Fedor.

Exactly. If there is one thing that nobody seems to realize it is that the situation is always changing in mma. Who knows? Maybe they let Couture go and we get to see Couture/Fedor (kind of late now). Who is to say that Brock and Dana won't have a falling out? Maybe Fedor fufills his deal with M-1 and breaks free. Fedor does not have a contract with Strikeforce, M-1 has a contract with Strikeforce. Fedor has a contract with M-1.

3 years ago in the summer of '06 nobody could have predicted what has transpired in MMA. A ton of orgs have risen and fallen since then, but at the time it would have seemed insane to say that Strikeforce... which at the time was coming off a headline of Alistair vs. Belfort at the bottom of their careers at 205... would have a TV deal and Fedor.
telnights
8/3/09 4:36:38PM

Posted by emfleek

This can only mean one thing...

More FREE events for UFC fans (counter-programming, b*tches!!!).

Your right and I bet you anything the UFC counter-programs the hell out of StrikeForce.

Its a sad day for Fedor fans. Some will be happy but most know this isn't a good thing. I like StrikeForce so I'm not only mad that Fedor didn't sign with the UFC but I'm also mad he signed with StrikeForce because I think in the end his Managers and him will be the end of StrikeForce. StrikeForce has played it safe and smart up till this point but agreeing to share half of what you have built with a company that has nothing to offer you other than Fedor is just stupid. In fact it more likely some fans will be like me will be canceling Sometime and refusing to watch if M-1 is involved. I just cant support them as long as M-1 is involved. So not only are you losing half of your profits but your also losing fans.
george112
8/3/09 4:37:23PM

Posted by jascri

too bad for the fans, and too bad for Fedor. this is a lose lose situation.
Ya know, Fedor always acts like he is so innocent, but actions speak louder than words: He's a greedy prick.
What a waste of talent.

farthest from the truth.

ive made this point before in other threads and will make it again.

to many UFC nuthuggers...thats all it is.

SO WHAT IF HES NOT IN THE UFC..get over it..he does what his manager tells him to do.he fights you watch.doesnt matter if its in the UFC Dream Strikeforce whatever your still gonna watch! all i hear about is how fedor is ducking the UFC and stuff.why?? i see no reason for him to.Dana is the one whos talking all this **** about him about 2 years ago(i think) and then kissing ass to him when he actually does HAVE a fighter who can give him some competition.Dana should have respected him in the past and i can honestly say if he did i think we would see fedor in the UFC.

haha its so funny to because all of you (except for a select few) talk as if yall are going to completely boycott fedor.sure.and im going to become president

fedor is good period.hes proved it.if you cant except that fact.than idk what to tell you.

im just waiting for everyone to jump back on his bandwagon like what always happens..

just my thoughts
Ordep
8/3/09 4:39:10PM
I look at it the good way...

Carwin is the one who'll take the title away from Lesnar.
george112
8/3/09 4:42:00PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by emfleek

This can only mean one thing...

More FREE events for UFC fans (counter-programming, b*tches!!!).

Your right and I bet you anything the UFC counter-programs the hell out of StrikeForce.

Its a sad day for Fedor fans. Some will be happy but most know this isn't a good thing. I like StrikeForce so I'm not only mad that Fedor didn't sign with the UFC but I'm also mad he signed with StrikeForce because I think in the end his Managers and him will be the end of StrikeForce. StrikeForce has played it safe and smart up till this point but agreeing to share half of what you have built with a company that has nothing to offer you other than Fedor is just stupid. In fact it more likely some fans will be like me will be canceling Sometime and refusing to watch if M-1 is involved. I just cant support them as long as M-1 is involved. So not only are you losing half of your profits but your also losing fans.

i do agree about the strikeforce being stupid for co-promoting.BUT i dont agree on him losing fans.if anything he will gain more fans from the exposure in the US.nobody is going to stop watching fedor.no matter what org he is in.he could fight Sakuraba in the WWE and people would watch him.you may not want to see it.but the fact remains its fedor and people are going to watch

just my thoughts
EliasG
8/3/09 4:46:35PM
If you were an NBA player and you owned part of your team, would you play for someone else, or would you make sure that you play on your team? If your team did well, you would get your base salary, but the stock of your team/company would make even more. Jerry Buss makes somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 million per year off of the lakers---I have no idea what he makes off of merchandising and branding--but solely off of the games themselves, after operating costs, and player payrolls---60 million. The entire Laker organization is worth 587 million dollars---if sold.

While I GET the frustration that a lot of fans have toward Fedor, he is a fighter AND a businessman. Since he OWNS a share in M-1 it is in his best interest to continue to help it be profitable by co-promotion, etc...Why squabble over hundreds of thousands, when there are tens of millions to be made? Of course, that is why he signed with Strikeforce. He may make less on the front end, but 10 x's that on the back end.

For instance, Golden Boy Promotions has private shareholders and the company pays them dividends. In other words, if the company is profitable you get paid even more money for your initial investment. Oscar made 50 million dollars off of his fight with Mayweather. Mayweather made 25 million. That is a total of 75 million dollars. The fight made 152 million dollars. That is another 77 million dollars sitting there. Even after overhead, promotional costs, and taxes, you are talking about tens of mlllions of dollars for the promotional company---and MILLIONS in dividends for the shareholders.

Fedor is a shareholder in his company. His company makes money in Europe and Asia. He would have difficulty promoting that company while tied to a contractually exclusive deal with UFC. Ask Cotoure. He was sued for promoting his 'brand' and his 'fighters' in other organizations. Ask Tom Atencio, when he promoted some fighters, his entire brand was banned from the UFC--later leading to his failed promotional bid.

Doesn't take a genius to figure this out. You don't have to like it, but it simply doesn't make business sense to lock yourself in.
EliasG
8/3/09 4:48:56PM
Personally, I love the fact that I'll get to watch Fedor for free on Showtime===since I get it anyway.
george112
8/3/09 4:54:13PM

Posted by EliasG

Personally, I love the fact that I'll get to watch Fedor for free on Showtime===since I get it anyway.

EXACTLY

i dont know how people are saying hes going to lose fans.that doesnt make sense maybe he'll lose UFC fans because their butthurt he didnt sign with their fav. org..but in general he will be gaining fans in the US with exposure to the public. if Strikeforce is smart they will market him heavily.using his fights with AA And Sylvia (both Former UFC champs) for even more exposure.

people are going to watch period.

just my thoughts
kopower
8/3/09 5:10:46PM

Posted by emfleek

Sweet. Maybe the Fedor threads will die off a bit now.

Yes, please!! My eyes are hurting from reading all of this.
nickcuc547
8/3/09 5:11:08PM
what a joke, fedor just went down about 50 rungs in my book. I don't care what anybody says I honestly believe the guy doesn't want to fight lesnar.
bigbubbano23
8/3/09 5:16:05PM
let him move himself of the top ten, and he is easily not the best p4p fighter
postman
8/3/09 5:27:13PM

Posted by bigbubbano23

let him move himself of the top ten, and he is easily not the best p4p fighter

He runs through Werdum Oveream and Rogers and he is still top 3 for sure after that we will see.
lohmann
8/3/09 5:41:15PM

Posted by nickcuc547

what a joke, fedor just went down about 50 rungs in my book. I don't care what anybody says I honestly believe the guy doesn't want to fight lesnar.

Right after Lesnar defeated Couture, Emelianenko called Lesnar out. What do you think the one-fight deal he wanted so much was for?

Fedor is the best heavyweight in the world right now, and if anybody wants to prove that wrong, he can follow Fedor. Not being in the UFC does not mean one is a bad fighter.

Fans are willing to turn on fighters as soon as the UFC does not get what they want. Cro Cop was a momentary pariah after he jetted from the UFC after a one-fight deal, which turned out to be a shrewd business move because he had Lorenzo Fertitta flying to Croatia offering him a new contract supposedly loaded. Once he signed with the UFC, everybody started liking him again and his past was swept under the rug. I do not know what Fedor sees in signing with Strikeforce, but I am sure he's more content fighting there than under the Zuffa banner.
D0wnUnd6e6r
8/3/09 5:47:46PM
im pissed
george112
8/3/09 5:48:56PM
a previous post of mine was edited due to bashing dana white.

i want to apologize to the playground for that post and to the moderator emfleek for having to take the time to edit it.

i consider the playground my family and dont want to be known for that kind of stuff.

sorry guys

FrankTheTank1181
8/3/09 5:55:04PM
Watching Fedor fight in any organization is good enough for me, the dude is just a bad, bad man.
george112
8/3/09 6:02:42PM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by nickcuc547

Right after Lesnar defeated Couture, Emelianenko called Lesnar out. What do you think the one-fight deal he wanted so much was for?

Fedor is the best heavyweight in the world right now, and if anybody wants to prove that wrong, he can follow Fedor. Not being in the UFC does not mean one is a bad fighter.

Fans are willing to turn on fighters as soon as the UFC does not get what they want. Cro Cop was a momentary pariah after he jetted from the UFC after a one-fight deal, which turned out to be a shrewd business move because he had Lorenzo Fertitta flying to Croatia offering him a new contract supposedly loaded. Once he signed with the UFC, everybody started liking him again and his past was swept under the rug. I do not know what Fedor sees in signing with Strikeforce, but I am sure he's more content fighting there than under the Zuffa banner.

nickcuc547
8/3/09 6:03:47PM

Posted by lohmann

Posted by nickcuc547

He called him out but when he had the opportunity to walk the walk he turned it down. I'm mystified that the guy doesn't want to fight the best right now, he is still number 1 in my book, even pound for pound and I think he would beat lesnar, but nobody wants to see him fight overeem, who is a borderline top 10 lhw. Fedor is trying to protect his legacy right now, as impressive as it is he isn't going to be fighting the best in strikeforce, they only have two top 10 heavyweights (now 3) and the ufc is a hell of a lot deeper. This is a bad move for his career if you ask me, if he loses in strikeforce his legacy could even be in jeopardy, i don't think it will right but that's the way it will go down.

And I'm not turning on him because the ufc isn't getting their way, if there was another organization out there that could rival the ufc and he signed with them I would have no problem with it. To me it's senseless to sign with an inferior organization.

Stay tuned for some hard core counterprogramming, dana is pissed
EliasG
8/3/09 6:20:24PM
The "he's scared to fight Lesnar" argument doesn't make any sense. It's far too simplistic. League sports are a bit difficult to compare but let's compare it to boxing. In boxing there are promoters that put on shows too. Let's say Don King had some of the best fighters in the world in his camp. He'd control the matchups, he'd control the revenue, he'd control the promotion, and of course, he'd control your pay.

Let's say, you have your OWN promotional company so that you can share in greater revenues, but also have greater say in all the rest of the negotiations, promotion, and who you get to fight. But Don King tells you that you have to sign an exclusive deal with him and he'll pay you well, but you have to walk away from your company.

There is NO benefit other than the AMAZING privilege of fighting on someone else's promtion. "Oh thank you master white for being so benevolent."

He can cross promote, build his own brand, share in the divedends of the company he owns, and be free in a few years to sign with the UFC or cross promote a fight with them.

Fear has absolutely nothing to do with it. Would the UFC give him greater visibility? Sure. Then again, when he's on CBS knocking the piss out of a good fighter or in some war with someone on national tv, he'll gain his own fans that aren't just UFC loyalists that started watching MMA when TUF I came out.
EliasG
8/3/09 6:28:17PM
Fights I'd like to see:

King Mo
Alistair Overeem
Brett Rogers
Werdum

Down the road---Lashley

But....which fighters will eventually find their way out of the UFC? Which fighters are going to find it difficult to stay in the UFC and getting 1 or less fight per year in an exclusive deal that doesn't allow them to fight at any other time? Even if the UFC had a show per month, they would still have to come up with other programming to meet the needs of a growing roster. 12 shows a year is AWESOME but I think fighters should fight 2-3 times a year in this particular sport and it just isn't something that they can allow many fighters to do.
breakdown5
8/3/09 6:47:22PM
I just feel bad for Strikeforce. They've done a good job with their promotion up to this point and signing Fedor could just be their death sentence. I still don't understand how they are going to pay for Fedor, he commands some serious coin for his skills. They don't have a lot of top HWs to feed him, but at least we won't see him fighting MWs and freakshows in Japan.
nickcuc547
8/3/09 6:50:28PM

Posted by breakdown5

I just feel bad for Strikeforce. They've done a good job with their promotion up to this point and signing Fedor could just be their death sentence. I still don't understand how they are going to pay for Fedor, he commands some serious coin for his skills. They don't have a lot of top HWs to feed him, but at least we won't see him fighting MWs and freakshows in Japan.

plus half the profit they make off of him is going to M-1, pretty good for producing just one decent fighter.
komodo20
8/3/09 6:55:06PM
Fedor is a joke for not takeing the deal the ufc offered him no one gets that deal the ufc offered him but i would like to know how much Strikeforce sign fedor for. I think the reason why he didn't go to the ufc is that he is scared to fight brock and he doesn't want to lose but he wants to keep his good record and keep fighting not top fighters than come to the ufc and fight the best HW in the world.
GrandMaster313
8/3/09 7:02:23PM
Fedor is officially my least favorite fighter now. The guy thinks his **** dont stink ,dodges the best competition and wants waaaaay to much $$$ for what he is truly worth. This is really getting old

i'm going to take this opportunity and applaud your actions Fedor......

Thank you for being the "greatest".....
george112
8/3/09 7:02:38PM

Posted by komodo20

Fedor is a joke for not takeing the deal the ufc offered him no one gets that deal the ufc offered him but i would like to know how much Strikeforce sign fedor for. I think the reason why he didn't go to the ufc is that he is scared to fight brock and he doesn't want to lose but he wants to keep his good record and keep fighting not top fighters than come to the ufc and fight the best HW in the world.

seriously
postman
8/3/09 7:18:07PM

Posted by EliasG

Fights I'd like to see:

King Mo
Alistair Overeem
Brett Rogers
Werdum

Down the road---Lashley

But....which fighters will eventually find their way out of the UFC? Which fighters are going to find it difficult to stay in the UFC and getting 1 or less fight per year in an exclusive deal that doesn't allow them to fight at any other time? Even if the UFC had a show per month, they would still have to come up with other programming to meet the needs of a growing roster. 12 shows a year is AWESOME but I think fighters should fight 2-3 times a year in this particular sport and it just isn't something that they can allow many fighters to do.

I made the same mistake but King Mo is a MW. Also the UFC's roster has been shrinking of late.
Pages: 1 [2] 3