Fedor Emelianenko Gives No Reason to Think He'll Sign With UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fedor Emelianenko Gives No Reason to Think He'll Sign With UFC
Next Page »
emfleek
7/30/09 8:33:48AM
The heavyweight champion of mixed martial arts and the sport's biggest promoter appear to have a major sticking point in negotiations that will keep them from coming together any time soon.

Fedor Emelianenko, widely recognized as the best heavyweight in MMA, reiterated at a press conference Wednesday that he does not intend to sign a contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship unless the UFC agrees to promote fights jointly with Fedor's promoter, M-1 Global. The UFC has offered Fedor a contract but has steadfastly refused to become business partners with M-1.

STORY
theguido
7/30/09 9:09:43AM
IMHO this will never work with Fedor an the UFC they have strict buisness guidelines that make them what they are, and I don't see them bending to meet in the middle with M-1. Now M-1 on the otherhand has Fedor and they know he's wanted by every promotion so they have the golden ticket so to say and they are using it much like they have in the past.
The only thing I might be worried about is Fedor getting top level competion if he goes to Strikeforce (witch I thnk will happen) I see only 1 or 2 possible goo matches for him. but like I said before 1 of the 2 will have to break down to make this happen and I don't really see that happening...
cowcatcher
7/30/09 9:11:55AM

Posted by theguido

IMHO this will never work with Fedor an the UFC they have strict buisness guidelines that make them what they are, and I don't see them bending to meet in the middle with M-1. Now M-1 on the otherhand has Fedor and they know he's wanted by every promotion so they have the golden ticket so to say and they are using it much like they have in the past.
The only thing I might be worried about is Fedor getting top level competion if he goes to Strikeforce (witch I thnk will happen) I see only 1 or 2 possible goo matches for him. but like I said before 1 of the 2 will have to break down to make this happen and I don't really see that happening...

read the offer that ufc gave him and tell me they didnt bend.....
emfleek
7/30/09 9:19:49AM

Posted by cowcatcher

read the offer that ufc gave him and tell me they didnt bend.....

Exactly. They bent over backwards.
prozacnation1978
7/30/09 9:32:39AM
cut him loose, go after others big names, instead of one big fish grAB a couple high tier fighters instead
kopower
7/30/09 10:43:30AM
Yup, I'm done with thinking Fedor is coming to the UFC. Not going to happen. This was almost like the Favre saga in a way. I'm done with both

1 fighter is not worth the headache, the ufc gave a more than fair deal to M1 and they turned it down. Prepare for the backlash
ChokeUout
7/30/09 11:11:32AM

Posted by theguido

The UFC offered Fedor this:

-Six fight deal worth $30 MILLION! FIVE MIL A FIGHT!

-AnImmediate Title shot

-A cut for M-1 of the Lesnar/Fedor PPV, which would be the biggest grossing PPV ever...

-Fedor can Wear all the M-1 Logo's he wants

-And yes, He can Compete in his Sambo....

Yeah, the UFC more than met in the middle. THey pretty much eliminated every obsticle EXCEPT co-promoting with M-1. So because the UFC won't let M-1 Jump on it's back and give them a gigantic kickstart to compete with the UFC, Fedor won't sign.

And Honestly, if he can't accept THAT offer, I don't even want him in the UFC anymore.
RNC
7/30/09 11:32:21AM

Posted by ChokeUout

The UFC offered Fedor this:

-Six fight deal worth $30 MILLION! FIVE MIL A FIGHT!

-AnImmediate Title shot

-A cut for M-1 of the Lesnar/Fedor PPV, which would be the biggest grossing PPV ever...

-Fedor can Wear all the M-1 Logo's he wants

-And yes, He can Compete in his Sambo....

Yeah, the UFC more than met in the middle. THey pretty much eliminated every obsticle EXCEPT co-promoting with M-1. So because the UFC won't let M-1 Jump on it's back and give them a gigantic kickstart to compete with the UFC, Fedor won't sign.

And Honestly, if he can't accept THAT offer, I don't even want him in the UFC anymore.

That's very interesting? Where did you read that?
emfleek
7/30/09 11:33:22AM

Posted by RNC

There are a few threads in the News Forum about it.
RNC
7/30/09 11:34:12AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by RNC

There are a few threads in the News Forum about it.

Thanks I see now. I started at the top.
Brain_Smasher
7/30/09 11:34:54AM
I wish the UFC would move on. I have been tired of Fedor for a while now because i knew he would never come to the UFC. Ever since he won the Pride GP has has nursed that record of his ever since. He refused to enter tourneys after that. Pulled out of fights. Took tons of "warm up" fights, rarely fought to begin with.

Now after you look at the lack of success other Pride fighters have had after leaving Pride. This was the final nail in the coffin that makes Fedor not want to sign. He will never sign with a company that doesnt let him hand pick his opponents. Just like top boxers. He has to much to lose by taking on all comers and losing.

Like i said before. You will not see Fedor in the UFC until AFTER he finally gets beat by someone. THEN he will try to get in the UFC or retire.

Fedor is doing exactly what top boxers do when they hit the top. Look at Mayweather. People say he is ducking Sugar Shane and others. He hasnt fought in ages. He gets to choose the style of fighter he fights, the fighter, the weight, the rules, gloves, when and where he fights, size of the ring, etc. This is what happens when fighters get to much control and make to much money. They will do everything possible to protect their record and their huge paydays. Its the fans who get screwed.
Rush
7/30/09 11:39:20AM
Do you think it's Fedor that is actually "in control" when it comes to this stuff? The guy doesn't come off as a stupid person to me and I don't see an intellegent person refusing this kind of deal. I wouldn't cast much doubt into thinking that there are others that are controlling Fedor, maybe by threatening his family or something. I've heard of this happening with top hockey propects in attempt to keep them in Russia. Just food for thought.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
7/30/09 12:09:48PM
Fedors management is awful, and stupid and they are ruining this mans legacy for their own personal gain

the contract the UFC offered is bar none the best any mma fighter has ever been offered, EXCELLENT to say the least,

Fedor needs to cut his management asap or else f**k him
who knows maybe he doesnt want to develope a losing streak(lesnar,carwin,velasquez,dos santos, mir, kongo)???
Brain_Smasher
7/30/09 12:15:02PM
Well i think Finklestien is probley connect to the KGB or other organized crime. Dana White has hinted at the same thing. I felt that way long ago after some of the shaddy comments and demands from Finkle.

But that really cant be proven. In the end as far as we know. Finkle was choosen by Fedor to represent Fedor. So Fedor has to shoulder the blame of his management.

I do think Mob or no Mob Fedor is somewhat to blame. Finkle is trying to make M1 a success. If that were to ever happen then Fedor would become very wealthy for a very long time. He would basically be in Dana Whites position after his fighting career was over. So he has something to gain. Just because Fedor makes this decision dont make him stupid. Smart people make bad business decisions all the time. There is a risk with any business move. This may be one Fedor is willing to take.

IMO he is giving away his wealth he makes from fight. Risking his legacy for a lost cause. M-1 will never be on the UFC level like he wants it to be. Thats not to say he might not turn a profit down the road. But not worth the risk/reward.

Not only that. He and his manager are looking so bad right now. That this negative image will follow over and be a dark cloud hanging over M-1. Taking away what little chance they may have had.
Rush
7/30/09 1:55:28PM

Posted by Brain_Smasher

I do think Mob or no Mob Fedor is somewhat to blame. Finkle is trying to make M1 a success. If that were to ever happen then Fedor would become very wealthy for a very long time. He would basically be in Dana Whites position after his fighting career was over. So he has something to gain. Just because Fedor makes this decision dont make him stupid. Smart people make bad business decisions all the time. There is a risk with any business move. This may be one Fedor is willing to take.

From my perspective, when smart people make bad business deals it is generally obvious as to why they made the decision that they made. Also, in many of those cases pro- or op- onnents of the decision have the gift of hindsight when they determine whether it is good or bad. That being said, from the information that I have read, even if M1 is a huge success in Russia, what does that do for Fedor? He seems to be playing ball with these guys and I can only see benefit for them, not him. Not only that, Fedor does not come off as the type of guy that is interested in money. Everything that is left in MMA cannot be provided by M1 IMO.
Brain_Smasher
7/30/09 2:29:08PM
Thats why the entire Fedor fiasco dont make sense at all. Fedor sides with his management even when it appears to not be in his best interest. They accept deals from one promotion despite it not being the best offer. What did affliction give him the UFC wouldnt? 1 fight deals? Why be afraid of multi fight deals unless you want to hand pick opponents or dont think you can win throughout the contract.
Most fighters will fight anyone, anywhere, anytime. But Fedors actions the last few years does not suggest he shares that attitude.

Fedors camp have made up lies the last year. Coming up with many excuses they wont fight in the UFC. They blamed it on Sambo. Then that wasnt it. They it was money. Then they had to admit that wasnt it because the UFC offered more than Affliction. Now they finally found something they know the UFC wont accept, co promotion.

IMO, it all boils down to protecting the mystic that is Fedor. That mystic goes away as soon as he loses. They know that there have been many "cant be beat" guys in the history of MMA. Royce, Coleman, Nog, etc. In the end all champs look overrated after its all said and done.

They are trying to create a Rickson Gracie retirement model. Rickson was never world famous. Fedor needs the UFC to do that but be able to get in the UFC and out without losing. 1 fight deal is the only way he has a chance. Then he can go down like Rickson but more meaningful and legit.

Fedors record is what pays his bill and cements his legacy. He knows it and is backing Vlad all the way in his efforts to protect it. I dont think Fedor is scared. But i do think this in a way is his "smart" Business plan. If he loses a fight. Then he loses everything. Legacy, leverage, 7 figure paydays, and control.

But the fans are the one who are punished.
cowcatcher
7/30/09 2:36:35PM
youre wrong on several counts brain_smasher, for one, m-1 always had a stance that co promotion was the only way for fedor to get into the ufc, the sambo was just another part of the original demands that people online ran with.

his deal with affliction was not a 1fight deal, it was for 3.

there is nothing to prove that he picks his own opponents, he fought 2 former ufc champs that were both top 10 at the least top 5 at best, in his first 2 fights in affliction and was set to fight a concensus top 5 fighter in barnett. that is not the track record of someone that is hand picking opponents, thats someone that is fighting the absolute best fighters that are available to him.

its ridiculous to think fedor is scared of anyone, the guy has torn through pro fighter after pro fighter, so this boils down to his management wanting to line their pockets while he is still useful to them, not him ducking anyone or changing his list of demands every time he sits at the negotiating table.
Brain_Smasher
7/30/09 2:44:14PM
Where did i say he was scared? I specificially said he wasnt. Not risking losing for business sake isnt the same as being scared.

I think Fedor is one of the smartest fighers, best game planners in the game along with Couture. He knows what fights are bad and which are good for him. Its also no coincidence that AA and Sylvia failed to survive a COMBINED 30 seconds in their last 2 fights verses sub par/unproven fighters. One who was 50 years old. Both sub par guys won the same way Fedor did. So i dont buy the Fedor has nothing left to prove bit.

Also, if he can sign a 3 fight deal with Affliction without co-promotion. Why not with the UFC?

Until you can answer why he turned down the UFC deal which was 10 times better in everyway than what Affliction had to offered him. Then my opinion makes as much sense as any.

Atleast M-1 isnt demanding the UFC build a Rock Stadium again. Or are they?
cowcatcher
7/30/09 2:51:50PM

Posted by Brain_Smasher

Why be afraid of multi fight deals unless you want to hand pick opponents or dont think you can win throughout the contract.
Most fighters will fight anyone, anywhere, anytime. But Fedors actions the last few years does not suggest he shares that attitude.

this looks to me like youre saying hes scared, and to say AA and timmay were washed up is easy to do now, but like i said, AT THE TIME THEY FOUGHT they were top 10 if not top 5.
emfleek
7/30/09 2:54:19PM

Posted by Brain_Smasher

Also, if he can sign a 3 fight deal with Affliction without co-promotion. Why not with the UFC?

Affliction and M-1 were co-promoting. Here's an article from 2008 that I found.

LINK
Rush
7/30/09 3:18:53PM

Posted by Brain_Smasher

IMO, it all boils down to protecting the mystic that is Fedor. That mystic goes away as soon as he loses. They know that there have been many "cant be beat" guys in the history of MMA. Royce, Coleman, Nog, etc. In the end all champs look overrated after its all said and done.

What I don't buy about this theory is that, even now, the mystique is fading away because of what's transpiring with M1. Nobody can change his fight record and people already criticize the level of fighters on Fedor's record. If protecting the mystique is what Fedor or his promoters want to do, they have already failed.

I think Fedor is a pawn in this game and until I can be convinced that he has something to gain from not fighting in the UFC, I consider him absolved from this fiasco.
soundboy1
7/30/09 6:02:08PM
I'm a huge Fedor fan and always stood up for him. I'm having a hard time doing that anymore. There are no fights for him anywhere except the ufc. I don't think anyone will try to build a promotion around him again.....(besides m1) I just don't get what exactly they want out of this co promotion....
Aether
7/30/09 6:46:41PM
I'm having a hard time buying the whole "Fedor is being manipulated" thing at this point. Initially it seemed like Vadim was doing everything but I can't believe that Fedor doesn't know about all of this. He has even released quotes saying that he has read the contracts himself.

As far as I'm concerned Fedor and Vadim are of the same mind here, I don't think Fedor can be exonerated here while Vadim is vilified.

I think that Fedor simply doesn't care about MMA or his legacy and probably has more than enough money for him and his family for the rest of his life considering the way he lives. I really think he just doesn't care at all and is knowingly allowing Vadim to do whatever he wants to benefit his company because it makes no difference to him where he fights or if he even fights at all anymore.
Rush
7/30/09 7:18:00PM

Posted by Aether

I'm having a hard time buying the whole "Fedor is being manipulated" thing at this point. Initially it seemed like Vadim was doing everything but I can't believe that Fedor doesn't know about all of this. He has even released quotes saying that he has read the contracts himself.

As far as I'm concerned Fedor and Vadim are of the same mind here, I don't think Fedor can be exonerated here while Vadim is vilified.

I think that Fedor simply doesn't care about MMA or his legacy and probably has more than enough money for him and his family for the rest of his life considering the way he lives. I really think he just doesn't care at all and is knowingly allowing Vadim to do whatever he wants to benefit his company because it makes no difference to him where he fights or if he even fights at all anymore.

If that was the case why would he have signed a 6 fight deal with M1 in the first place. ??????
Aether
7/30/09 7:34:06PM
To help his friend expand his company, for the fans etc. I've heard him comment several times that he doesn't really like MMA very much and that it's basically just a paycheck. He has stated that if he didn't have to fight he wouldn't. I think at this point he probably has enough to live comfortably for the rest of his life, but why not continue providing for your family and friends while you are in a position to do so? I think in this case he honestly doesn't care very much about the money or his legacy and is letting his friend do what he feels is best for his company. He's said fairly recently that he doesn't care about his legacy, I think it was on inside MMA, and clearly if he wanted money he would just take the 30 million.

I don't think he's detached enough from what's going on or stupid enough to be flat out manipulated. He must be going along with this whatever his reasons are.
telnights
7/30/09 7:43:34PM
Well its one of 2 things at this point.

1. Either Fedor doesn't have clue of whats really going on or he does and cant or wont do anything about it. Its clear his managers have a huge conflict of interest and like I have said before if this was US based they would be under investigation. Its highly unethical and very clear manipulation by his managers.

2. Fedor or his managers are unsure of Fedor in the UFC and don't have the faith in him his fans did.

I more inclined to believe the first one is most likely. Before even talking to the UFC it was clear they had no interest in going to the UFC. They knew just as well as all the fans knew the UFC would not co-promote with M-1. So sounds like they will be taking a deal with Strikeforce that isn't even half the offer of the UFC one. Its sad because I think the deal will end up hurting yet another promotion. Fedor and his managers have already lost a large part of his fan base and pretty much destroy his legacy over night. I don't know of many mangers that could destroy your company and fighters in one day. So what is M-1 going to do now market their company in the US were most of your hardcore fans base now hates you. Yeah that sounds smart to me . I think I rather have Mark Dion or The Shaw's being my manager more than Fedor's.
Aether
7/30/09 8:03:12PM
it's definitely unethical, I'm just saying that I wouldn't call it "manipulation" because I'm sure he is fully informed of the situation, I'm picking the "won't do anything about it" option essentially. I think they are using him, but I think he is allowing himself to be used because it really doesn't matter too much to him one way or the other.
CwB
7/30/09 8:34:14PM
f@#K IT... i am done with fedor and his management and no longer care where he ends up.

The news share forum of this site, is 50 % fedor news i cant handle it anymore i am F%^king done
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
7/30/09 10:01:11PM
Lesnar, Velasquez, Dos Santos, Carwin, Kongo, Couture -I would go for all these guys if they fought Fedor but they wont cause Fedor will hold out to fight in the next dream super hulk tourny or something like that
something that is clearly a waste of time and move on to more wins and better record that way :)
reedk
7/30/09 10:25:24PM
At least Fedor is trying to stick up for the smaller guys that have to compete against UFC.
Pages: [1] 2