Fedor Emelianenko, UFC finalizing deal

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fedor Emelianenko, UFC finalizing deal
StorminYourman
7/28/09 8:53:38PM
Take it for what it is worth

A long-awaited agreement between the Ultimate Fighting Championship and the man considered the world's best mixed martial arts fighter, Fedor Emelianenko, is expected to be announced by UFC President Dana White on Friday, a source with information about the negotiations told The Times today.

The source, who asked not to be identified because he's not authorized to speak publicly about the dealings, called negotiations between the UFC and Fedor "very civil" just days after Fedor's scheduled Affliction Trilogy fight Saturday against Josh Barnett was canceled.

MisterFreeze
7/28/09 9:27:25PM
**** YEAH!!!!!!

This time it's gotta be fore real!!!

So how quickly do you guys think Fedor will get a fight? Will he be added to UFC 102 or 103 maybe????
RNC
7/28/09 9:33:31PM

Posted by MisterFreeze

**** YEAH!!!!!!

So how quickly do you guys think Fedor will get a fight? Will he be added to UFC 102 or 103 maybe????

No for two reasons. First, tickets are already on sale for 102 and 103. And second, Lesnar just fought at 100. If the UFC signs Fedor, expect to see him at 105.
StorminYourman
7/28/09 9:35:42PM

Posted by MisterFreeze

**** YEAH!!!!!!

I do not think it is really going to go down but they would want to get this fight on ASAP(since Fedor is in fighting shape now) so I would say 102 if possible if not 103 for sure.
Aether
7/28/09 9:36:02PM
I'll believe it when I hear it out of Dana White's mouth. I'm trying not to get my hopes up at all.
Loot613
7/28/09 9:44:11PM
y'all wanna have some fun think of a warm up match they could give Fedor.... He may need one having never fought in a cage before....

Who could he demolish first?
lohmann
7/28/09 9:50:37PM

Posted by Loot613

y'all wanna have some fun think of a warm up match they could give Fedor.... He may need one having never fought in a cage before....

Who could he demolish first?

Dana White has said repeatedly that should he sign Emelianenko, his first fight would be against the champion. I am interested to see how he fares in the cage too, but there is little chance that his first fight is against anybody but whoever the champion is at the time. I'm sure Fedor probably would want an immediate title fight as a concession; Dana White, for this, would probably oblige.

I'd expect to see him fight at the January 2nd pay-per-view. Whatever the event is, it will be marketed and sold, rightly, as the biggest fight of all time.

However, I will not believe this until I see Fedor standing inside the cage across from Brock Lesnar, ready to break an arm.
1daveufc
7/28/09 10:07:24PM

Posted by RNC

Posted by MisterFreeze

**** YEAH!!!!!!

No for two reasons. First, tickets are already on sale for 102 and 103. And second, Lesnar just fought at 100. If the UFC signs Fedor, expect to see him at 105.

ufc 105 hell ya a hope so a was al ready going to manchester for it it just gets better
joshryanshepherd
7/28/09 10:17:20PM

Posted by 1daveufc

Posted by RNC

Posted by MisterFreeze

**** YEAH!!!!!!

ufc 105 hell ya a hope so a was al ready going to manchester for it it just gets better

hahahaha. Fedors first fight in the UFC isnt even gonna be in the U.S?

i say 107 in december with Rampage and Rashad as co-main event. the last event is almost always the best event of the year.

on second thought 108 because theres no rumored main events, and 107 is in Memphis so they will probably want Quinton the face of the Event.
postman
7/28/09 10:29:47PM
IF this is true (notice I made it a Big IF) I bet he fights at UFC 104 in LA Shogun Machida is the main event. not going to be that big of a draw. the undercard is good but the names are not the huge either just add Brock and mix in some Fedor and you have a huge PPV.
joshryanshepherd
7/28/09 10:34:07PM

Posted by postman

IF this is true (notice I made it a Big IF) I bet he fights at UFC 104 in LA Shogun Machida is the main event. not going to be that big of a draw. the undercard is good but the names are not the huge either just add Brock and mix in some Fedor and you have a huge PPV.

I think Shogun V Machida is an awesome main event, and i think the 205 title fights are always a huge draw. but i know what your trying to say, i think you will be surprised at the amount of people who want to see the two Brazilians fight.
joshryanshepherd
7/28/09 10:35:10PM

Posted by postman

I think Shogun V Machida is an awesome main event, and i think the 205 title fights are always a huge draw. but i know what your trying to say, i think you will be surprised at the amount of people who want to see the two Brazilians fight.
MisterFreeze
7/28/09 10:35:10PM

Posted by postman

This actually makes alot of sense! I hope you are right.

Also I understand people being hesitent to believe this. In a way I am too, but at the same time I feel really good about it this time. Something seems different this time around. Just listen to the way Dana White has been talking about Fedor lately. Dana WANTS Fedor in the UFC and I bet he's willing to offer him a very generous contract.
hippysmacker
7/28/09 10:40:19PM

Posted by RNC

Posted by MisterFreeze

**** YEAH!!!!!!

I think 103 is the most likely ( if Fedor really signs) , and here are my reasons why. UFC 103 is September 19th,and thats over 2 months since Lesnar last fought. Lesnar took virtually no damage against Mir. Fedor is ready to fight now , as he had a fight scheduled 3 days from now, and White has said his first UFC fight would be for the title. UFC 103 still needs a big main event, and it doesn't matter if tickets went on sale. It will sell out either way. All they need is enough time to promote the PPV, and 3 weeks is enough time for that. So it seems possible to me.
BDON911
7/28/09 10:44:24PM
postman
7/28/09 10:47:48PM

Posted by joshryanshepherd

Posted by postman

I love that fight Shogun is my favorite fighter but the causual fan on the fence for this fight I don't know that fight make them wanna buy. There is a lack of a mainstream fighter imo.

Anyone hear Ben Rothwell vs. Chase Gormley was added to 104 I saw it on Wiki and didn't know if it was bs or are there roumers they where picked up?
mystere213
7/28/09 10:53:28PM
I think it will be 106. No rumored main event yet and it's in Vegas.
It willbe a much bigger deal in Vegas than in Memphis for 107 or LA for 104. 106 gives Brock 4 months between fights & I think that's enough time. If
Dana announces the signing, I think he gives the date that he and
Brock fight as well. At least I hope so.
jascri
7/28/09 10:54:34PM
This looks good. But this is for sure: If it doesn't happen this week, it will never ever happen until maybe Fedor is washed up. BFD.
Come on Fedor. Come on Dana. Take this damn thing to the next level!!
prozacnation1978
7/28/09 10:57:21PM
i hear the deal is false
if i would guess if this is true nov in vegas or jan super bowl weekend,
i hope this is true ,
StorminYourman
7/28/09 11:00:07PM

Posted by postman

Posted by joshryanshepherd

Posted by postman

I love that fight Shogun is my favorite fighter but the causual fan on the fence for this fight I don't know that fight make them wanna buy. There is a lack of a mainstream fighter imo.

Anyone hear Ben Rothwell vs. Chase Gormley was added to 104 I saw it on Wiki and didn't know if it was bs or are there roumers they where picked up?

just posted here
fonduktoe
7/28/09 11:01:20PM
this back and forth bs with fedor and the ufc is getting ridiculous
as much as i want this to happen i've learned from past experience to not get my hopes up
i guarantee finkelf*ck will screw this up with his insistence on co-promotion
as soon as i read this article i felt a glimmer of hope, until of course i clicked the link that discounts this whole news article
the sad thing is if the ufc doesn't sign him now than they never will imo
what a waste
adamsb
7/28/09 11:03:06PM
god i hope this is true i have been waiting so long for this and i want to see him smash brock
jascri
7/28/09 11:43:00PM
I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but truthfully, who at Strikeforce would be a good match for Fedor? I can't think of anyone except Lashley, who is clearly not ready, or King Mo who, come on, that's just a joke. (?)
hippysmacker
7/28/09 11:47:57PM

Posted by BDON911

nope

I don't see why people think this over so quickly. If you read the article it still gives hope that the deal will get done. It also could be that Fedor's people just want to be the first to break the news, or it could be a negotiating ploy.

Denying a published report Tuesday by the Los Angeles Times, M-1 Global officials told SI.com that Fedor Emelianenko and the Ultimate Fighting Championship are not close to finalizing a deal that would bring mixed martial arts' top heavyweight in the Octagon.

"I can give you a guarantee it's not accurate," said Apy Echteld of M-1 Global, a St. Petersburg, Russia-based promotion and management company of which Emelianenko is an equity stakeholder.

According to the Times' report -- which referenced an unnamed source unaffiliated with the UFC and "with information about the negotiations" -- UFC president Dana White was set to announce the signing of Emelianenko on Friday. The source also said negotiations between the top MMA promoter and the Russian champion's camp were "very civil," and that both groups were discussing details on the pending public announcement.

Echteld declined to comment on negotiations between M-1 Global and the UFC, which are rumored to be taking place Tuesday in Los Angeles.
He pointed to a press conference Wednesday in Anaheim, Calif., for "important" news on Emelianenko's fate.

That final part where I put it in bold keeps me thinking positive
RearNakedJoke
7/28/09 11:52:22PM

Posted by Aether

I'll believe it when I hear it out of Dana White's mouth.

i'll believe it when i hear it from dana's mouth while Fedor is standing next to him.

prozacnation1978
7/28/09 11:56:51PM
makes sense if both parties play possum for a few more days than annouce it friday with dana, i still think they will make annoucement of signing of tito and victor as well.

right now i am avg 4 ufc events a year i would love to see any of those 3 guys fight live once in the next year or so. fedor vs brock i would call in sick to go see and you know that fight will be in vegas,
ultimateweapon
7/28/09 11:57:15PM
if fedor joins the ufc then well..............i guess.....i'd be happy

but i'm not gonna get my hopes up
theres always so much build up for these kind of things
then nothing happens..............
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Nightmare27
7/29/09 1:30:41AM
Im still not convinced, though it would be nice. We'll see.
Drudinh
7/29/09 2:24:07AM
This is was better than the whole "Bret Farve & Vikings deal" It is funny that so many people thought that was going down. Please don't let this fall through though. The anticipation is killing me. I wanna know NOW!!!