Fedor Emelianenko's next fight could be at a summer event in Japan

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fedor Emelianenko's next fight could be at a summer event in Japan
MMAcca
4/28/09 1:31:27PM
Although he'll first meet lightweight Shinya Aoki in a special exhibition match at Wednesday's M-1 Challenge event, famed heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko could next strap up for an MMA fight this summer.

During a press conference today in Japan, Emelianenko's manager, Vadim Finkelchtein, said negotiations are underway for the fighter to meet a "top 10" heavyweight in July or August.

Finkelchtein believes the fight will take place in Japan.

LINK
Mayhem13
4/28/09 1:37:35PM
Top 10 HW that he has not recently fought...and is available tro fight in Japan outside of the UFC.. could be Barnett or Overeem.......maybe Werdum

But I bet it ends up being a slight letdown and some like Jeff Monson..who probably isn't top 10...but is top 15 probably
mrsmiley
4/28/09 2:46:33PM
Is Fedor still doing ADCC too?

Him and Monson I think would be a good fight,but I want to see him fight Barnett as of right now.
motorboatensob
4/28/09 4:00:57PM
This man is wasting his career why he thinks he has 20 years to fight bets me. He needs to take what fights he can against the best because even is he bets the best now there will still be more HW as the years pass to challenge him.
bustin_mma
4/28/09 5:02:42PM
when is his exibition grapling match with aoki? man i cant wait for that.
Jackelope
4/28/09 5:46:51PM
If it is Barnett, Werdum, or Overeem then I'm all for it. If not, well... I will for once have to go against my man Fedor here and agree with those who say he's wasting his time
MMAcca
4/28/09 6:19:05PM

Posted by bustin_mma

when is his exibition grapling match with aoki? man i cant wait for that.

Wednesday, but it won't be available to view until Monday .
cmill21
4/29/09 2:06:06AM
I think Fedor will retitre at the NYE show....
Drudinh
4/29/09 4:52:37AM

Posted by cmill21

That is the most sad depressing thought ever
Pookie
4/29/09 5:01:44AM
I doubt he ever gets the fight with barnett. Whenever it seems like the next possibility something always falls through. Whether its the money, injuries, promotional problems, or other issues that will not be named do to fighter bashing concerns, I sincerely doubt it will ever happen at this point.

Considering its in Japan and not The US im leaning towards Alistair, since he seems to be the only willing combatant to get in the ring with him and still fits the criteria.

And of course theirs monson, but god... lets hope its not.
tomp6581
4/29/09 6:40:31AM
As long as he fights a decent opponent. Im happy.

Ideally he would face Barnett, another top 5 guy, but I would be happy to see him fight Overeem, Monson or Werdum.

tomp6581
4/29/09 6:41:41AM

Posted by cmill21

Why? I am curious to know why you think this?
cmill21
4/29/09 3:25:44PM

Posted by tomp6581

Posted by cmill21

Seem's bored. Everyone seemed to think he would have trouble if he stepped up in competition, he did and it seemed to get easier. Then theres the money factor, he has more then he could ever need. I dunno, just a feeling I get.
motorboatensob
5/1/09 10:02:49PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by tomp6581

Posted by cmill21

Seem's bored. Everyone seemed to think he would have trouble if he stepped up in competition, he did and it seemed to get easier. Then theres the money factor, he has more then he could ever need. I dunno, just a feeling I get.

His problem is he waits till these guys time have passed why not come in fight them when they are on top not when they have already been beaten.
Jackelope
5/1/09 10:47:31PM
I would love to see you make a logical argument for him beating these guys when they're on a downfall in their career

Arlovski was on a 5 fight win streak in which his hands had looked better than ever before. He put one of the worst beatings on a fighter seen throughout all of 2008 on Rothwell who was on a 13 fight win streak at the time. Arlovski also beat Roy Nelson, who was on a 5 fight win streak of his own. You can look on the boards with a simple search and find a very significant number of people who thought Arlovski was going to destroy Fedor.

Tim Sylvia had lost his 2 previous bouts, but those were against none other than Noguiera and Couture. Couture was looking better than he ever had before, and Noguiera was still wildly successful at that point in his career. Not to mention that before Sylvia had suffered those two losses, against cream of the crop competition, he was on a 6 fight win streak of his own that had him well into everyone's top 10, if not top 5 for the vast majority of people.

I'll give you Mark Coleman, Matt Lindland, and HMC for fighters that were a bit past their prime or not very significant, but you can't look through Fedor's history and make an argument further than that. He straight up embarassed Noguiera at a time when he was DOMINATING, beat Mirko when everyone thought Mirko was tailor made to beat Fedor, etc. etc.

I am just so tired of seeing people with an obviously pro-UFC bias trash Fedor's career. It's literally like political propaganda brought on by the UFC. I am a huge fan of the UFC, but no logical argument can be used to trash Fedor's career.

motorboatensob
5/3/09 1:57:46PM

Posted by Jackelope

I would love to see you make a logical argument for him beating these guys when they're on a downfall in their career

Arlovski was on a 5 fight win streak in which his hands had looked better than ever before. He put one of the worst beatings on a fighter seen throughout all of 2008 on Rothwell who was on a 13 fight win streak at the time. Arlovski also beat Roy Nelson, who was on a 5 fight win streak of his own. You can look on the boards with a simple search and find a very significant number of people who thought Arlovski was going to destroy Fedor.

Tim Sylvia had lost his 2 previous bouts, but those were against none other than Noguiera and Couture. Couture was looking better than he ever had before, and Noguiera was still wildly successful at that point in his career. Not to mention that before Sylvia had suffered those two losses, against cream of the crop competition, he was on a 6 fight win streak of his own that had him well into everyone's top 10, if not top 5 for the vast majority of people.

I'll give you Mark Coleman, Matt Lindland, and HMC for fighters that were a bit past their prime or not very significant, but you can't look through Fedor's history and make an argument further than that. He straight up embarassed Noguiera at a time when he was DOMINATING, beat Mirko when everyone thought Mirko was tailor made to beat Fedor, etc. etc.

I am just so tired of seeing people with an obviously pro-UFC bias trash Fedor's career. It's literally like political propaganda brought on by the UFC. I am a huge fan of the UFC, but no logical argument can be used to trash Fedor's career.

For what he is doing now yes you can trash his career. He should have fought Randy when he was on top and he let that pass him by. He beat Tim who two others had just done and Arlovski was on a streak but wasn't a Champ when he left the UFC. No one wants to see Fedor beat guys who other guys in the UFC have already beaten. We want to see him take on the fighters no one can handle. At one time that was Randy and now its Brock maybe even Kongo or if his chin will hold up Mir. Everyone gives his crap for not fighting guys in the UFC because that's were the best are the only HW the UFC don't have is Fedor. Arlovski has moved on to boxing because he is a great fighter but his chin stinks. There is my argument.
cmill21
5/3/09 6:24:47PM

Posted by motorboatensob

For what he is doing now yes you can trash his career. He should have fought Randy when he was on top and he let that pass him by. He beat Tim who two others had just done and Arlovski was on a streak but wasn't a Champ when he left the UFC. No one wants to see Fedor beat guys who other guys in the UFC have already beaten. We want to see him take on the fighters no one can handle. At one time that was Randy and now its Brock maybe even Kongo or if his chin will hold up Mir. Everyone gives his crap for not fighting guys in the UFC because that's were the best are the only HW the UFC don't have is Fedor. Arlovski has moved on to boxing because he is a great fighter but his chin stinks. There is my argument.

Your argument sucks...lol. Most of the sites that have rankings have 4-6 UFC HW's, one being Nog who Fedor destroyed twice in his prime. He should have fought Randy when he was in his prime eh? When was that? Beating Gonzaga and Tim? Look at Gonzaga, one win with a flash KO and now he's getting dominated by anyone in the top 25. The UFC's top dog...well it's none other then Brock Lesnar...he has 3 victories. How about Kongo, well Carmel Marrero easily controlled him and Cro Cop owned him in round one until the rib break. What are the challenges the UFC presents? Kongo(r1 sub), Carwin(r1 sub), Brock(r1 sub), Mir(r1 KO), Randy(r1 KO). Seriously I would rather see Fedor v Overeem, Barney, Cro Cop 2, AA 2, Fabricio, Kharitonov, Monson, ect then see him against an inexperienced and old group of UFC fighters. But hey if they're not the UFC champ they're no good so his only worthy opponent is a guy who's 3-1....
Jackelope
5/3/09 11:34:07PM

Posted by motorboatensob

Thanks for the argument (sorry, but now I'll have to dismantle it )

He should have fought Randy when he was on top and he let that pass him by.

Actually, Fedor was ready and willing, and they'd both talked about making it happen. It was Randy's contractual obligations that kept that fight from happening. Study your history.

He beat Tim who two others had just done and Arlovski was on a streak but wasn't a Champ when he left the UFC. No one wants to see Fedor beat guys who other guys in the UFC have already beaten.

Again, check your facts. There is not a single top 10 ranked HW fighter in the UFC's HW division outside of Shane Carwin that hasn't been beaten by another UFC heavyweight. Then again, Carwin hasn't even faced a top 10 HW yet. That being said, I'm a huge Carwin fan, but I think Fedor and several other top 10 HW's stand a pretty good chance at beating him. So who would you be going for that is on a win streak good enough to challenge Fedor?

Kongo? He's on a 3 fight win streak over Dan Evensen, Mustapha Al-Turk, and Antoni Hardonk. HARDLY top competition.

Lesnar? He has a total of 4 fights, and he's on a 2 fight win streak over Randy Couture and Heath Herring. Both very good opponents, but that's a 2 fight win streak. You forget, Fedor has been destroying guys on 5, 10, and 15+ fight win streaks throughout his entire career.

Everyone gives his crap for not fighting guys in the UFC because that's were the best are the only HW the UFC don't have is Fedor. Arlovski has moved on to boxing because he is a great fighter but his chin stinks. There is my argument.

Again, I appreciate your argument, but to me it doesn't hold water. The only great HW outside of the UFC is Arlovski? Well, not according to MMA Playground's poll of thousands of members, Sherdog.com's rankings, MMAWeekly's, Inside MMA's rankings, Fightmatrix.com's rankings, and I'm sure EVERY SINGLE OTHER MMA site out there besides the UFC's site. So, while in your mind all the great fighters are located within the UFC, it is irrefutably clear that your logic does not match the expert's, or millions of other people's logic.

Anything you'd like to add to that?
Shawn91111
5/3/09 11:44:17PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by motorboatensob

Thanks for the argument (sorry, but now I'll have to dismantle it )

He should have fought Randy when he was on top and he let that pass him by.

Actually, Fedor was ready and willing, and they'd both talked about making it happen. It was Randy's contractual obligations that kept that fight from happening. Study your history.

He beat Tim who two others had just done and Arlovski was on a streak but wasn't a Champ when he left the UFC. No one wants to see Fedor beat guys who other guys in the UFC have already beaten.

Again, check your facts. There is not a single top 10 ranked HW fighter in the UFC's HW division outside of Shane Carwin that hasn't been beaten by another UFC heavyweight. Then again, Carwin hasn't even faced a top 10 HW yet. That being said, I'm a huge Carwin fan, but I think Fedor and several other top 10 HW's stand a pretty good chance at beating him. So who would you be going for that is on a win streak good enough to challenge Fedor?

Kongo? He's on a 3 fight win streak over Dan Evensen, Mustapha Al-Turk, and Antoni Hardonk. HARDLY top competition.

Lesnar? He has a total of 4 fights, and he's on a 2 fight win streak over Randy Couture and Heath Herring. Both very good opponents, but that's a 2 fight win streak. You forget, Fedor has been destroying guys on 5, 10, and 15+ fight win streaks throughout his entire career.

Everyone gives his crap for not fighting guys in the UFC because that's were the best are the only HW the UFC don't have is Fedor. Arlovski has moved on to boxing because he is a great fighter but his chin stinks. There is my argument.

Again, I appreciate your argument, but to me it doesn't hold water. The only great HW outside of the UFC is Arlovski? Well, not according to MMA Playground's poll of thousands of members, Sherdog.com's rankings, MMAWeekly's, Inside MMA's rankings, Fightmatrix.com's rankings, and I'm sure EVERY SINGLE OTHER MMA site out there besides the UFC's site. So, while in your mind all the great fighters are located within the UFC, it is irrefutably clear that your logic does not match the expert's, or millions of other people's logic.

Anything you'd like to add to that?

Id like to add I had to look up the word irrefutably. I am embarrassed.