Fedor Emelianenko Changes the Game For Strikeforce, Showtime

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fedor Emelianenko Changes the Game For Strikeforce, Showtime
emfleek
8/3/09 3:58:36PM
I've long believed that any MMA promotion wanting to compete with the UFC needed to do one of two things: Develop the best women's division in the sport, and sign Fedor Emelianenko.

Strikeforce and Showtime have now done both.

STORY
george112
8/3/09 5:56:50PM
good article

i really hope strikeforce can survive signing fedor.i want strikeforce to succeed.and with the womans mma and fedor combo.maybe other hw looking to fight the best will come to strikeforce to try to beat fedor.providing he doesnt lose his first fight

just my thoughts
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
8/3/09 6:03:47PM
glad he signed somewhere with some decent competition in a company thats stable and on the rise
Brain_Smasher
8/3/09 7:56:50PM
Strikeforce will lose their ass on Fedor. Fedor has never been a draw on PPV and never will be. Pride draw in the 20K range with him and 40K range on their USA shows. Affliction riding on the back of former UFC fighters couldnt break 100K with him. Strikeforce, with ot without Showtime or CBS, will need to draw on PPV. Even with the numbers Elite XC got they knew they had to translate to PPV buys and that was the entire goal while on CBS. I dont see Fedor or Strikeforce causing people to shell out 30-50 bucks for a PPV over the likes of the higher quality and established product of the UFC.

Even the UFC wouldnt have got a fair return on Fedor. Fedor woud not add many buys at all to the UFC bottom line. But they were tying to get him to add cred to the division in the critics eyes. Either their guys would prove to be better or they would own Fedor who proved better. It give the HW divsion a boost. But they would have lost money on Fedor. But they can afford to do so. Strikeforce can not afford to do so.

In the end Fedor will continue to do what he has been for a while. Screwing the fans out of fights they want to see. Killing off MMA promotions and costing fighters and promoters their jobs to feed his greed.
cmill21
8/3/09 8:31:24PM
Fedor and his greed. I heard he was considering an upgrade to a 2 bedroom apartment.
SmileR
8/3/09 8:41:25PM
Personally I think Strikeforce will only suffer from signing Fedor. He's proven not to be a big PPV star in the US, he never got the huge draws Affliction needed to sustain the outgoings and I seriously doubt he will with lesser known fighters with Strikeforce.
With M1 sucking out what I imagine to be a large profit from the final amount unless they start pulling in around the same PPV sales as the UFC the future isn't looking bright for Strikeforce.

If I'm remembering right aside from Pride the highest rated PPV Fedor was on was with Arlovski and its undeniable that it was Arlovski that brought in the majority of the buys there.
Strikeforce don't have a "star" HW that the casual fan knows. Overeem is there champ but is yet to defend his belt and is virtually unknown to the casual fan.
Werdum isn't well known either or if he is he's mentioned as "that guy who had the most boring fight I'v ever seen with Arlovski".
Rogers has some pull after KO'ing Arlovski and after that they have basically ran out of "worthy" competitors.
telnights
8/3/09 8:47:51PM
Well I like StrikeForce and I think this was a bad move by the company. I think this investment may kill them.
cmill21
8/3/09 8:58:57PM
Isn`t CBS paying half of his purse
emfleek
8/3/09 9:09:27PM

Posted by cmill21

Isn`t CBS paying half of his purse

It was mentioned in an article last week that they could be offering that as part of the package, but it's yet to be confirmed.

Financial terms have yet to be disclosed.
RearNakedJoke
8/3/09 9:20:38PM
these promotions get it in their head that they HAVE to have Fedor and pay more than he's worth. the ufc's offer was insane but atleast they can afford it. i dont think he's going to deliver for strikeforce. their best hope is one of their 3 guys destroying him and becoming big news over night. not very likely imo. of the 3 for some reason i see Rogers winning if any of them do. i dont know why, gut feeling i guess...
Brain_Smasher
8/3/09 10:05:17PM
Agree. Thats the best thing that anyone who deals with Fedor can hope for is he gets his ass kicked and they can wash their hands of him altogether. Then have a new guys who just beat "the man" at a MUCh cheaper price who isnt full of himself.

I am not sold on any pf the Strikeforce HWs. I still remmeber Overreem being a guy who is roided to the max who always finds a way to lose verses anyone good. Especially against HWs who can punch. Anyone remember him gettinf put to sleep by Hoffman and Chuck. Yet it is supposed to mean something when Fedor does it?

Werdum has looked very poor in his recent fights. What can Fedor do that Arlovski and Dos Santos hasnt already?

Rogers is the type of fighter who is only a threat to a curtain style of fighters. He is 1xD and will never be able to develope a wrestling or BJJ game to be consisntant. He is just like all your other versizd HW brawlers like Cabbage, Buentello, Kyle, Eilers, etc. But since he was able to catch AA who has been pleagued by a suspect chin his entire career. Now beating him means something? Not to me.

Fedor jumped right back into the pool of recycled fighters that he had in Pride who couldnt hack it out of the Pride bubble. He wants no part of the new up and coming prospects. THAT is why he was so quick to sign a deal with strikeforce. His next fight is many months away yet he gives the biggest promotion in the world JUST a couple days to try to strike a deal? He never wanted any part of the UFC thats why he created demands that were impossible to meet. Now he gets to finish his career vs Fighters who have glaring holes he can exploit who are meaningless to the current landscape of the HW scene.
jascri
8/3/09 10:09:21PM
Well, my initial post of what I thought about this whole Fedor thing was pulled, and was it over-the-top bashing? Yes. So, i'm pissed off, a lot of people are. I suupose it is very useful to have another promotion that fighters can go to besides the UFC, however the UFC is the top-tear promotion and definitely has the best talent in all divisions. It's too bad for me, and all the other fans, that we'll never see Fedor, at least in his prime, fight the big names in the division, but like I said, it's nice that there is another decent venue for fighter to earn a living.
I'm at the top of the list of people who say that it sucks Fedor will never fight in the UFC, but hopefully it will be good for the sport. Oh well. It's hard to swallow, but I think, after two years, I have realized that it will never happen.
And Dana, when he comes crawling back at some point down the road, do us all a favor and tell him to "hit the bricks" man, that ****'s over. The flame has died, the fire is gone.
prozacnation1978
8/3/09 11:00:23PM
come back from work to find out fedor signed, at least it is strikeforce
and either way showtime or prime time i can see him fight for free. sad to see him not pick ufc just over a damm co promotion sound very insane, i have lost some respect for the guy, but the ufc doesn't need him,
george112
8/4/09 2:00:18AM

Posted by jascri

Well, my initial post of what I thought about this whole Fedor thing was pulled, and was it over-the-top bashing? Yes. So, i'm pissed off, a lot of people are. I suupose it is very useful to have another promotion that fighters can go to besides the UFC, however the UFC is the top-tear promotion and definitely has the best talent in all divisions. It's too bad for me, and all the other fans, that we'll never see Fedor, at least in his prime, fight the big names in the division, but like I said, it's nice that there is another decent venue for fighter to earn a living.
I'm at the top of the list of people who say that it sucks Fedor will never fight in the UFC, but hopefully it will be good for the sport. Oh well. It's hard to swallow, but I think, after two years, I have realized that it will never happen.
And Dana, when he comes crawling back at some point down the road, do us all a favor and tell him to "hit the bricks" man, that ****'s over. The flame has died, the fire is gone.

its so amazing to me how you can say all those things.i wanted to just let this thread die out.but i had to reply to this.

first off fedor has fought and won just as many fights against big name heavyweights as the next guy.more so than anyone in the UFC right now.i do not know where you are getting the information that the UFC has the best in every division.that in itself causes me to not take your fedor bashing posts seriously.your post was pulled because you were bashing fedor.why?? i have no idea other than your feelings got hurt because he didnt sign with the UFC.who in the UFC is fedors number 1 challenge?? its obviously lesnar.i bring that to light because most of the heavyweights in the UFC wouldnt stand a chance.Herring, Big Nog,Gonzaga,Couture,Carwin,CroCop...the list goes on not to mention AA and Sylvia both of whom were having great success in the UFC being the orgs HW Champs an what not..theres ONLY ONE GUY and thats lesnar.the UFC isnt the only org with talent

gosh man when will the NutHugging end

EDIT: also just remembered.its funny you say that when fedor comes crawling back dana should say whatever you said he should say....if i remember correctly the first time they were talking fedor refused to fight because of restrictions put on him by the UFC.which in turn caused dana to call them crazy russians.and say they are impossible to work with...second time comes around and look who was kissing fedors ass its all about respect.if respect would have been given to fedor and his management then.than i could honestly say that fedor would have been more likely to have signed with the UFC.

if that doesnt make sense.look at it this way.im not going back to the blockbuster whos manager called me a crazy texas redneck.just because i didnt rent his movie
jascri
8/4/09 2:24:38AM
Look, when Fedor left pride he went right to Bodog ... Bodog! come on that was a joke and not to mention he fought a middleweight. I just think the UFC can challenge him the way Pride did--not that he had a problem cleaning out that org, just like I think he would clean out the UFC, but in my mind that's all that is left for him--especially at this point in his career.
The reason Fedor didn't sign with UFC is not because he got disrespected by some big-mouth, this is a business, not church summer camp, i think they are both far beyond that. I don't think I have to explain to you the situation, nor do I have the time. Anyway I stand by my post, i'm not nutthugging (as you say) the UFC but merely stating the obvious. Fador, as great as he is, has become a joke because of his manager and because of M-1.
george112
8/4/09 2:27:55AM

Posted by jascri

Look, when Fedor left pride he went right to Bodog ... Bodog! come on that was a joke and not to mention he fought a middleweight. I just think the UFC can challenge him the way Pride did--not that he had a problem cleaning out that org, just like I think he would clean out the UFC, but in my mind that's all that is left for him--especially at this point in his career.
The reason Fedor didn't sign with UFC is not because he got disrespected by some big-mouth, this is a business, not church summer camp, i think they are both far beyond that. I don't think I have to explain to you the situation, nor do I have the time. Anyway I stand by my post, i'm not nutthugging (as you say) the UFC but merely stating the obvious. Fador, as great as he is, has become a joke because of his manager and because of M-1.

agreed m-1 and his manager are crippling his career
Drudinh
8/4/09 3:06:35AM
At least he is now fighting in a cage. I gues it is one baby step closer to the UFC
sclasclemski
8/4/09 6:53:27AM
you know its a 1 year 3 fight deal that when it expires so does his M1 agreement...so maybe in a years time we could still see Fedro in the UFC...3rd times a charm