Could/should Fedor cut to 205?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Could/should Fedor cut to 205?
Biggz
7/10/10 4:49:21PM
im sure this has already been talked about but didn't he weigh in at only 225? i have seen articles toying with this idea, but i am just curious to see how many people think it would be good for him. just looking for thought about it.
and im not just bringing this up because he just lost, i have heard the argument that he has possibly been fighting at the wrong weight class his whole career.
telnights
7/10/10 4:59:13PM
Not sure this would be the best move for him. He has done fine at HW and dropping to LHW would mean he would loss the speed advantage he has at HW.
tcunningham
7/10/10 5:24:08PM
im all for it. i dont think hes as competitive at HW like he used to be. he could easily do it, and who knows, maybe its just what he needs.
sbulldavid
7/10/10 6:21:17PM
It would be interesting to see, I've always wanted to see him fight Rampage from the clinch, just to see somebody try and throw Rampage. Shogun vs Fedor would be fun as well. No doubt he could easily turn into the biggest draw in the world just doing superfights at 205, much like Wanderlei dropping to 185. I don't know how he would fair off the top of my head, but he's still got that dangerous three quarter overhand and great balance, and his Sambo is still among the best in the world, just because he got caught in a submission that is very uncommon doesn't mean he's washed up or finished by any means . What is a concern is that anything that touches him cuts him anymore, and he has to rely on finishing fights and being overly aggressive and I think that played a big role in his undoing at the hands of Werdum. I don't know of many guys at 205 that are easy to finish, or don't have decent stand-up. It still would be huge.
postman
7/10/10 6:26:53PM
He has said time and time agian that he dosn't wanna drop.
BustedKnuckle
7/10/10 8:59:25PM
For sure his speed advantage would be comprimised. But, his striking power would stil be there. With his skill level he does very well against HW's, even being greatly undersized(at times). He got a bit too aggresive against Werdum. And props to Fabricio for playing "possum". I think he baited Fedor into his gaurd, and capitailized when Fedor got out of position! The LHW division in MMA might be the deepest one of them all. With LW a very close second. Fedor has done very well for himself at HW, so I say he should stay there.
seanfu
7/11/10 3:37:44PM

Posted by BustedKnuckle

For sure his speed advantage would be comprimised. But, his striking power would stil be there. With his skill level he does very well against HW's, even being greatly undersized(at times). He got a bit too aggresive against Werdum. And props to Fabricio for playing "possum". I think he baited Fedor into his gaurd, and capitailized when Fedor got out of position! The LHW division in MMA might be the deepest one of them all. With LW a very close second. Fedor has done very well for himself at HW, so I say he should stay there.

How many heavyweights have striking ability or defensive ability like the light heavyweights?

He could clean out the strikeforce division but he couldnt beat very many elite 205ers in the ufc if you think about it. He's just a perfect heavyweight for his generation and a loss to a guy the same size doesnt mean he needs to drop.

He just got caught.
noahgenda
7/11/10 3:56:04PM
he could, but im not so sure he should. not at this point in his career
Pookie
7/12/10 3:41:18AM
I think weight cutting for the first time would hinder his performance if he didnt end it early. But assuming he cut a bit of his gut...

Id expect him to be faster(less weight), and more powerful(relative to the division) than before, with the question mark being how is his cardio effected. So he may not hit harder than what he does at HW, but in comparison to what a LHW punch is i think his power would be much higher than if you compared it to what a HW punch is on average. So in summation of alot of useless words, i think he would be a more dangerous puncher.

Pookie
7/12/10 4:01:51AM

Posted by seanfu

...he couldnt beat very many elite 205ers in the ufc if you think about it.

I'd disagree. Now, i do think it would be surprising who he would lose to because of the way his style fits into the division. But i think he can take quite a few Elites the majority of the time. Saying he can't beat many elites is a bit of an underestimation. I mean Fedor probably has a 30% chance to win a fight against every man who's ever lived. Assessing his chances at "He cant do it" is to misjudge this sport as a whole.

Lets see:

Shogun
Machida
Rashad
Rampage
Forrest
Lil Nog:
Rich Franklin
Thiago Silva
Jon Jones

If these are the biggest names in the division, id say He would be a clear heavy-favorite over 4 of them(Franklin, Silva, LilNog, Forrest). A Moderate favorite over 3 of them(Bones, Rashad, and Machida). And a Slight favorite over 2 of them(Shogun, Rampage).

If the crux of your arguement is that his style doesnt fit in well at LHW because of the higher pedigree of strikers in the division, What strikers do you see taking advantage of his holes, without also exposing their own holes and thus playing with fire?

I can see Rampage landing a beautiful counter bomb in the midst of a fedor flurry, and i can see Shogun winning a trench war with more weapons and more control. But everyone else has weaknesses that Fedor can work to expose from every position.

I dont think you can say that there's many 205'ers fedor wouldnt be the favorite over. Nonetheless, many he couldn't beat whatsoever. I call shenanigans.