Fedor Considering Retirement?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Fedor Considering Retirement?
theruler_
6/19/10 8:38:47PM
Apparently some of Fedors comments at the recent Strikeforce conference were not translated for the public to hear.

".....Aside from blatantly stating that he wasn't a fan of the UFC, when asked if he was planning on retiring, Fedor admitted that recently, he has seriously been considering retirement......"

Link
TimW001
6/19/10 9:27:09PM
I'm going to cry!
bjj1605
6/19/10 9:55:44PM
Nothing official. I put no stock in this. Fighters usually say they're thinking about retirement long before it actually happens. A lot of times it's used as a bargaining chip. Floyd Maywhether does it.

"I'm retired unless you pay me a s**t ton of money".
BlueSkiesBurn
6/19/10 10:15:20PM
I'm just going to say one name:

Brett Favre
jlock003
6/20/10 12:22:28AM
I'm excited to see the Fabricio fight. I felt like Fedor looked slow in the Rogers fight, but I've never been a huge fan. Not tryin to be a hater but I want to see the guy fight top notch guys again. If he is going to keep having fights hand picked for him then I'd rather him go ahead and call it quits.
lohmann
6/20/10 12:40:53AM
He is 34, an age where fighters tend to start declining in all the natural abilities that are necessary to execute skills.

I believe Fedor because of the run at political office. He seems to be already exploring what to do after his career comes to a finish.
theruler_
6/20/10 12:44:51AM
none of this will mater when werdum wrecks him next week
RhythmAndStyle
6/20/10 2:14:47AM
i also say this!..a GREAT athlete knows when to quit..u don't want to end up lookin like Ali..who was so great..than when he tried to keep pushin, he fell off and made his mark kinda look bad..his last few years in boxin was sad..i always say that when the time comes..it comes..and i hope good athletes realize that..
TimW001
6/20/10 2:33:29AM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

i also say this!..a GREAT athlete knows when to quit..u don't want to end up lookin like Ali..who was so great..than when he tried to keep pushin, he fell off and made his mark kinda look bad..his last few years in boxin was sad..i always say that when the time comes..it comes..and i hope good athletes realize that..

Great point!
Boo_Radley21
6/20/10 8:33:21AM
It would be cool if he retired with a record with just the one loss (I refuse to call him undefeated like Ive seen some people do even though it was an illegal shot it was still an accident and tons of guys have losses on their records from accidental injuries) but he would have to soon. If he keeps on fighting and gets some good opponents its bound to happen eventually, does he want to give anyone the joy of beating him? I still think Lesnar is too big and athletic for Fedor, but I don't believe we will ever see that fight happen before he retires.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
6/20/10 9:05:50AM
of course he is...anything to avoid fighting certain people lol
I hope he doesnt and I hope he steps into the octagon and fights anyone whos on the up, anyone the UFC hasnt fired due to losing.

next weeks fight, Ill watch it obviously but part of me wants Werdum to win and then the UFC to take him back and promote him as the guy that beat Fedor, cause they will and then he'll get his ass handed to him by one of the top 5 they have and then they'll let him walk again with a there ya go and we told ya so.

and then Fedor does he step up at that point it wouldnt matter
Giant_Ochai
6/20/10 11:05:34AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

It would be cool if he retired with a record with just the one loss (I refuse to call him undefeated like Ive seen some people do even though it was an illegal shot it was still an accident and tons of guys have losses on their records from accidental injuries) but he would have to soon. If he keeps on fighting and gets some good opponents its bound to happen eventually, does he want to give anyone the joy of beating him? I still think Lesnar is too big and athletic for Fedor, but I don't believe we will ever see that fight happen before he retires.

Accidental injuries and injuries sustained due to illegal attacks are different things.
icantthinkofanything
6/20/10 11:34:00AM
I like Fedor but everyone sweats him. Fedor is the only one who has an undefeated record eventhough he has a loss. A loss is a loss. So many fighters have losses from injuries that were illegal or could have been fought threw.

Fedor wants to use retirement as a bargaining chip. On the other hand he looked slow vs Rogers, and is at that age now. IMO prime is 30-33, 34 is different for all guys. Some guys are able to go until 48, some can only make it to 34. I think his ability to relax and speaking russian makes him seem more mystical...lol. He is a real man and can be beat.

One of the various styles of the UFC hw's will beat Fedor's style imo. Maybe Cain could UD him by kickboxing from outside, JR could catch Fedor boxing, and Carwin will Mir him against the cage with uppercuts, Lesnar TKO gnp. Fedor could prolly beat 2 out of the 4 big boys in the UFC. Jr,and Cain but not Lesnar and Carwin is my guess. How great would it be if Fedor beat Werdum, Overeem, than went to UFC had 5 fights, goes undefeated and retires than. He would really shut me up than!!!, but fighting outside the UFC at this point makes it hard to rank him imo. He may be the greatest ever now, but in a hall of famer sense like Matt Hughes imo.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
grappler0000
6/20/10 11:44:43AM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Accidental injuries and injuries sustained due to illegal attacks are different things.

Fedor was obviously a better fighter than TK, but Boo''s right...Fedor's not the only one to lose in such a fashion. TK threw a legal punch, but an elbow ended up grazing Fedor. Serra threw a legal punch at GSP, but ended up landing in the back of the head. It happens. If there was something questionable about the way the punch was thrown, I would see it differently, but that sort of thing just happens sometimes.
emfleek
6/20/10 11:48:51AM
*yawn*

salesjoe
6/20/10 1:34:37PM
I am so tired of the fedor phenom. Bottom line the guys was and is incredible but if your a fighter considered the best ever prove it sign with ufc for 3 fight deal . Money wouldn't be an issue they would pay whatever and prove it. The guys he dominated in pride are getting dominated now by the new generation fighters. Either admit you WERE the best in the world or FIGHT the best in the world. BOTTOM LINE NO MORE ARCHIVE FEDOR HIGHLIGHTS SET TO ERIE RUSSIAN MUSIC. FIGHT OR RETIRE
TimW001
6/20/10 1:54:17PM

Posted by salesjoe

I am so tired of the fedor phenom.

These last seven years must have been rough for you then.
cmill21
6/21/10 9:08:59PM
People here think Brock, Cain, JDS and Carwin are well rounded? Brock has horrible striking, his ground game has holes and he is definetly not well rounded. JDS could be, but we haven't seen his ground game, for all we know he could be a fish out of water on the mat. Cain? Well if you think his striking is in the good and up range, you need to rewatch his fight with Kongo who does not have top notch striking. Carwin? Well we know nothing about that ground game, could be awsome, could suck. Fedor on the other hand is well rounded, he can strike with K-1 fighters, wrestle with div 1 guys, and get into the JJ game with top guys. If you look at it, yeah the "new breed" could be the new monsters, but they are untested in a lot of areas. IMHO, and in spite of my dislike for the guy, I'd have to say Alistair is the most well rounded HW fighter outside of Fedor. Add the fact that he is a giant with no neck and you have the scariest fight for anyone in the HW div. Just my opinion but I think the big boys in the UFC would have more probelems with Al then Fedor would have with the UFC's guys. Fedor and Al is the fight I could definetly see ending Fedor's reign.
TimW001
6/21/10 9:20:35PM

Posted by cmill21

People here think Brock, Cain, JDS and Carwin are well rounded? Brock has horrible striking, his ground game has holes and he is definetly not well rounded. JDS could be, but we haven't seen his ground game, for all we know he could be a fish out of water on the mat. Cain? Well if you think his striking is in the good and up range, you need to rewatch his fight with Kongo who does not have top notch striking. Carwin? Well we know nothing about that ground game, could be awsome, could suck. Fedor on the other hand is well rounded, he can strike with K-1 fighters, wrestle with div 1 guys, and get into the JJ game with top guys. If you look at it, yeah the "new breed" could be the new monsters, but they are untested in a lot of areas. IMHO, and in spite of my dislike for the guy, I'd have to say Alistair is the most well rounded HW fighter outside of Fedor. Add the fact that he is a giant with no neck and you have the scariest fight for anyone in the HW div. Just my opinion but I think the big boys in the UFC would have more probelems with Al then Fedor would have with the UFC's guys. Fedor and Al is the fight I could definetly see ending Fedor's reign.

Alistair is a European grappling champ as well as being a top K1 striker and beign a huge man! But people who don't think Fedor deserves to be #1, I don't think understand MMA.