Possible Fedor vs Aoki grappling match in the works

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Possible Fedor vs Aoki grappling match in the works
rycanto
4/22/09 8:15:20PM
It's a rumor at this point but I would be very interested in this:
"Fedor Emelianenko and Shinya Aoki will square off against each other in a special grappling match at the “Deep M-1 Challenge 3rd Edition” in Japan on April 29th."

Link
sparky
4/22/09 8:27:29PM
I personally am not interested in seeing this at all !!!! There are much better fights for both men out there right now !!!! Just seems like a waste !!!!!
TimW001
4/22/09 8:40:09PM

Posted by sparky

I personally am not interested in seeing this at all !!!! There are much better fights for both men out there right now !!!! Just seems like a waste !!!!!

Glad to see some level heads on the PG. After everyone thinking Anderson greased I began to lose faith.
loller90278
4/22/09 8:48:06PM
this will be shinya aoki vs roger gracie all over again...
State_Champ
4/22/09 8:56:21PM

Posted by sparky

Yeah, both of these guys should be interested in finding great challenges and legitimate contenders in their respective weight classes.

I suppose this may be a great challenge to them but it's not going to further either one of their careers as I see it.

Wait. Maybe Aoki is trying to further his career with a BIG win..... but if he couldn't even beat a welterweight then how can he expect to best the best.
CwB
4/22/09 9:15:08PM
not interested at all
theguido
4/22/09 9:24:42PM
WHY?
RandyCouture
4/22/09 9:34:57PM
Aoki by flying gogoplata just watch
Amigop
4/22/09 10:38:54PM
This is just plain stupid. Aoki is prolly p4p better grappler then fedor but the size deference will allow fedor to toss aoki around
mentalcase
4/22/09 11:18:37PM
this is what happen last time aoki faced a bigger guy that was good at grappling

link
bustin_mma
4/22/09 11:35:06PM
Yous guys are crazys man. Hows could you says that yous dont wanna watch that to sees whos whould wins.
Drudinh
4/23/09 1:47:10AM
Aoki via mere sight of the stretchy pants.
StPierreCanada
4/23/09 7:05:07AM

Posted by TimW001

Posted by sparky

Glad to see some level heads on the PG. After everyone thinking Anderson greased I began to lose faith.

+1.

This has to be a joke.... No way this can happen.
Chuteboxer
4/23/09 9:16:59AM
I'd watch it for the sake of humor....but that's about it. Like everyone else has said, the size difference takes the sport out of this.
mrsmiley
4/23/09 9:50:58AM
It would be amusing,but I don't really get the point.

ncordless
4/23/09 11:20:12AM
I would love to see this grappling match. Sure there is a size difference, but that is fairly common in grappling matches... most top tourneys have an absolute division without weight restrictions.

Plus why all the hate like this will make it so they can't do other things. I doubt a match like this would affect their training or anything like that. For anyone interested in submission grappling this should be an interesting match.
D0wnUnd6e6r
4/23/09 11:53:51AM
oh come on wamma
SmileR
4/23/09 12:17:07PM
Akoi would take this if he didn't weigh the same as a bag of chips! He is a awesome grappler! Fedor prob will win due to the fact that he's awesome too but the size difference will play a major part in this.
rycanto
4/23/09 12:21:36PM
Everyone is taking this pretty seriously.

You know, these dudes are also in it for other reasons than "advancing their career" or making money. Its a passion for them and this is a great chance for them to do something different. It's not like this will affect their career or future fights. It's just a grappling match..
DCRage
4/23/09 12:29:01PM
It's simply about ratings. These guys are the Liddells & Rampages of Japan-they put butts in seats and hopefully improve sagging MMA ratings in Japan (with perhaps the exception of Sengoku). OK, and keeping Fedor in the spotlight at the expense or Mr. Stretchy Pants, who of course just lost to a fighter/actor last time out.
GDK
4/23/09 12:48:09PM
Perhaps they celebrate April fools day on the 29th in Japan.
EliasG
4/23/09 8:29:10PM
With no striking it's interesting. I have not seen Fedor roll in a long long time. He just is so nasty with the hands and submissions that he doesn't have to do it much...but....it would be interesting.

I have no idea why when fighters want to fight and try themselves with new challenges that people are always yelling NOO!!! I mean the very foundation of MMA is different disciplines being melded together. AND YES lots of people in Karate, wrestling, boxing,etc..were like NOO don't do it. Maybe Fedor absolutely merks and taps out Aoki---or mabye not. It isn't MMA--its grappling.

I'm fine with all that. I don't get mad when a boxer wants to do MMA, a wrestler wants to do MMA or boxing or an MMA guy wants to box. Who cares? Sport is about showing it when you compete---not getting blackballed before you get a chance to compete because someone doesn't "like it."
soundboy1
4/26/09 9:22:28PM
I enjoy being entertained. This fits the bill.
DCRage
4/27/09 1:40:51PM
Now it's Sambo rules. As far as when it'll happen, there are 19 fights and, in order, it's fight 14. Which should put the fight sometime between 7-9 AM ET for those watching live online.
MMAcca
4/28/09 6:13:30PM
While M-1 Challenge team matchups between Spain vs. France, USA West vs. South Korea, and England vs. host country Japan will be streamed live to non-U.S. audiences at www.Mixfight.ru, Fedor vs. Aoki will not be broadcast live. Live streaming of Wednesday's event will not be available to viewers in the U.S. due to rights issues pertaining to M-1 Global's television deal with HDNet, which retains the U.S. broadcast rights of the M-1 Challenge. Instead of making Aoki vs. Fedor available to everyone but U.S. fight fans, M-1 Global executives have decided to black Fedor vs. Aoki out from Wednesday's stream so that everyone will be able to view it at the same time. Fans will be able to access Fedor vs. Aoki on a video-on-demand basis start Monday, May 4 at M-1's English-language website at www.M-1Global.com and its Russian-language website at www.Mixfight.ru.

From M-1 Global's website