Since you seem new here, here's some info from a previous post I made:
EDIT: This is from sometime just after signing with M-1/Affliction when we thought he might be coming to the UFC
Not signing with the UFC:
I wish Fedor was in the UFC as much as any of you. The following s from Fedor's interviews. He's never been accused of dishonesty, so I have no reason to not believe him. Considering the terms of the contract, I understand why he isn't in the UFC:
- No combat sambo. Forget that he's the defending world champ of his beloved national sport. and it's only once a year. I actually agree with the UFC on this one. It's not sambo, which is similar to ADCC. It's combat sambo. It's too close MMA.
- No Red Devil package deal. Once again I can see the UFC's side. Sure it's happened before. (Serra / Scarola, Franklin / Gurgel among many others) but it shouldn't be guaranteed. UFC has the right to choose who fights for them.
The rest is BS. Without the UFC's pre-approval, he:
- Can't give ANY interviews
- Can't appear in TV or film
- Can't do any sponsorships or advertisement
- He can be released if he loses one fight
- He had to fight 8 times in two years
- If he is undefeated at the end of his contract, he gets automatically extended for an UNSPECIFIED amount of time, at the SAME compensation
So basically he can never leave unless he loses. And no bump in pay unless Dana fells like it. The UFC talked down to and disrespectfully to his agents Both publicly, and according to Fedor, privately as well. Additionally, they had come to terms and had a verbal agreement, only to receive a totally different contract in the mail.
Granted, a lot of this stuff is standard UFC contracts, but Fedor obviously has some problems with that.
And as many have said, there isn't a whole lot of HW talent left in the UFC
This type of comments from Dana (in the past) doesn't help: