featherweights

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » featherweights
POLL: Should playground have FW rankings?
yes 73% (16)
no 27% (6)
SteedTheDeed
8/8/07 1:41:21PM
after mmaweekly has started ranking featherweights(their rankings suck), i think playground should do the same. Its a real talented division with good stars.
Branwest
8/8/07 2:14:45PM
I definately agree!! Urijah Faber is a beast. He fights with brutal intensity and goes 1000 mph/110%. Most FW's are non-stop action from bell-to-bell. I think they should rank BW fighters as well. The only problem is that the Bantamweight class needs more fighters. Because there aren't many organizations with this weight class, people don't know much about these guys. Plus, a lot of the BW fighters have to fight at a heavier weight class just so they'll have somebody to fight. They are definately worth watching and worth adding a weight class for. I love the smaller weight classes! But then again, I love watching all weight classes. Hell, why their at it, go ahead and bring back the Super-HW's!!
Branwest
8/8/07 2:26:36PM
Yeah, I just checked out the mmaweekly rankings. They do suck. Did anyone notice that Hendo was ranked 4th among the LHW's but 5th among the MW's. Looking at the some of the fighters though reminded me how many more fighters the UFC needs to get, especially for the smaller weight classes, to completely solidify their dominance- although no other organization is really close anymore- Especially since their last few acquirements, such as Shogun, W.Silva, Hendo, etc. However, they still need Fedor, which their working on, and T.Gomi. They are two of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world, not to mention the best at their weight (their could be some argument with Gomi, but not Fedor). I think eventually, the UFC will add a FW and BW class. However, technically Zuffa already has them, their just in the WEC.
juanez13
8/8/07 4:08:57PM
from what it look like gomi isnt gonna sing with the ufc, so as for now i really want the UFC to sing joachim hansen, hayato sakurai, and gilbert melendez...................

as for the original post i do agree that playground should make a FW ranking, and as for the ufc making a FW, i wouldnt count on it, there is just not enough guys there............i think the UFC is just gonna stay as they are...
kalymike
8/8/07 10:42:23PM
yeah those guys have hearts like heavy weights and the fights are always excitng through out the whole fight, also i cant wait to see pulver move over to the featherweights
ultimatefight56
8/8/07 11:14:28PM
oh yeah I love the little guys, especially after WEC started coming on VS
TOMMYAYO05
8/9/07 1:08:51AM

Posted by ultimatefight56

oh yeah I love the little guys, especially after WEC started coming on VS

Yeah i like watching these guys go there really fast and exciting
LightsOut33093
8/9/07 10:53:06AM
yes they should ave FWQrankings
Branwest
8/9/07 11:16:38AM

Posted by kalymike

yeah those guys have hearts like heavy weights and the fights are always excitng through out the whole fight, also i cant wait to see pulver move over to the featherweights

Pulver has a fight coming up in the WEC on VS. Damn I love that channel, and FSN for the PRIDE shows, and ION which has crappy programming with the exception of Bodog, and of course SPIKE. HBO will probably sign a deal w/the UFC as well. The Best Damn Sports Show Perios, on FSN, also has PRIDE specials every once in a while.
More MMA on TV=me being happy
szucconi
8/10/07 3:14:41PM
We should ad featherweight, but I think we should go a step farther and add bantamweight while we are at it. If I were to ever fight then it would be at bantamweight and I would want to rank my self number one. And I would be number on. Just think of the last time you saw a six foot tall bantamweight. Thats right, you never have. Not until I make my debut.
Branwest
8/11/07 7:05:56PM

Posted by szucconi

We should ad featherweight, but I think we should go a step farther and add bantamweight while we are at it. If I were to ever fight then it would be at bantamweight and I would want to rank my self number one. And I would be number on. Just think of the last time you saw a six foot tall bantamweight. Thats right, you never have. Not until I make my debut.

Technically the UFC has FW's and BW's. Their on the WEC. Zuffa owns UFC, Zuffa owns WEC. Eventually they may have them fight in the UFC though. Hell, why were at it, should they add Flyweights (125lbs)? Some other org's have them, why not the UFC? And dude, if you're that good at Bantamweight, then fight in the WEC. Also, I have seen 6 foot BW's.
szucconi
8/13/07 3:02:39PM

Posted by Branwest

Posted by szucconi

Technically the UFC has FW's and BW's. Their on the WEC. Zuffa owns UFC, Zuffa owns WEC. Eventually they may have them fight in the UFC though. Hell, why were at it, should they add Flyweights (125lbs)? Some other org's have them, why not the UFC? And dude, if you're that good at Bantamweight, then fight in the WEC. Also, I have seen 6 foot BW's.

First, technically the UFC doesn't have FW's and BW's. Zuffa has them because they own WEC. They are under the same company umbrella, but you can't say the UFC has them. That is the same as saying the UFC has two WW champs (Serra and Condit).

Second, my "self nut hugging" was tongue in cheek. I am not even six feet tall. I am more like five eleven and a half. I don't have the chin to fight. I would get KOed by a stiff wind.

As for adding Flyweights and Super Heavy weight, I think we should take our clues from other sites. Sherdog has flyweight, but they don't have enough to rank ten so I think we can skip that class for now. They do have a full set of BW and FW ranks so I think we should add them. I might be able to drop the flyweights, that is, if I got AIDS or got one of my legs cut off.
Branwest
8/14/07 11:52:31AM
You're right, Zuffa owns them. However, in my opinion, the UFC is having enough problems filling their events with all the fights that need to take place, without having an event every other week. They needed another outlet to have more fights therefore they created the WEC, which has FW's and BW's (plus they just wanted to make more money).
Everyday, there are more and more fighters of small stature training in mma. Eventually these smaller weight classes (FW, BW, and maybe even Flyweight) will be legitimized as more and more well-trained fighters come up.
The problem with having SHW's is that most of today's fighters are in excellent shape. They have to be, especially for conditioning, endurance/durability purposes. To be a SHW you pretty much have to be fat and if you train hard at your conditioning, you're not going to be fat enough to be considered a SHW. However, there are some, and maybe there'll be more. However, it would'nt be a legitimate weight class with only a few fighters. But I'll be damned if it wouldn't be fun to watch.
Some of the smaller fighters are the funnest to watch. Their speed is ridiculous, their conditioning and stamina are through the roof; they hardly ever tire/gas during a fight. In my opinion, they should add the Flyweight class in the WEC. If they add it, many fighters from around the world would join the UFC. It would take awhile before they could officially have a belt, or one of consequence anyway.
I think the UFC should hold be-weekly events of four or five fights on SPIKE or HBO. Some of the 6 through 12 ranked fighters don't get as many fights as they probably should. They need to add an extra hour onto their PPV events. I hate paying for the event and not seeing all the fights. I like the undercard fights. Or with the extra hour they could just add two fights to the card.