UFC featherweight Will Chope was booted from Air Force and incarcerated for domestic violence

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC featherweight Will Chope was booted from Air Force and incarcerated for domestic violence
FastKnockout
3/23/14 12:43:14AM
Less than a day before his fight against Diego Brandao, a document Chope's history in the Air Force surfaced detailing an assault on his ex wife and his discharge from the military.

Link
Bythar
3/23/14 6:52:28AM
Maybe he'll be the one threatening to stab Diego.
prozacnation1978
3/23/14 7:49:39AM
Dam knife wielding. Who would have thought
State_Champ
3/23/14 8:32:05AM
WAR DIEGO BRANDAO
Goatenstein
3/23/14 9:29:23AM
Didn't Abel Trujillo also beat the shit out of a wife/girlfriend?
emfleek
3/23/14 9:48:24AM
Fight canceled.

Chope has been cut from the roster.
airkerma
3/23/14 10:14:59AM

Posted by emfleek

Fight canceled.

Chope has been cut from the roster.

Seriously? On fight day?
prozacnation1978
3/23/14 10:16:40AM
Wow cut him on fight day. Ufc really needs to do back ground checks before they sign people. Why does Abel Trujillo still have a job then
State_Champ
3/23/14 10:21:44AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Wow cut him on fight day. Ufc really needs to do back ground checks before they sign people. Why does Abel Trujillo still have a job then

Good question.
Maybe because Trujillo WARS?

What about Jeremy Stephens, didn't he have some "legal trouble"?

EDIT: I think Anthony Johnson also had some similar "legal troubles" as well, when the UFC first employed him, and they just rehired him.
Svartorm
3/23/14 11:23:25AM
So did Phil Davis and Babalu.
Poor_Franklin
3/23/14 11:34:05AM
It's embarrassing how little the ufc looks into some of these guys.
Dberntson
3/23/14 11:47:48AM
I commend the UFC for at least taking a partial stand against domestic violence, even if it is inconsistent (if he was a big name or star, I doubt he would be getting canned). Look at all the other major professional sports - the NBA,NFL, MLB, NHL and I assume soccer (do not know anything about the sport or players). They are all full of convicted criminals - many of which committed domestic assault, yet they still play and people do not make too much of a stink about it. Just one last comment though, if he already was kicked out of the Air Force and served jail time, hasn't he already paid for his crime and should have a chance to move on? Im not condoning domestic violence, I am just saying that if they already served their time, they should be allowed to make a living.

JoeWarren33
3/23/14 12:04:29PM
UFC look like a mickey mouse unit!
Do they not do background checks?

Regardless, its in the past. Did it happen of recent? I am sorry, we looking to hire these guys to Council battered woman?? THEY ARE FIGGHTTTERS!!!!

This is a joke! AND to do it on fight day! So friends/families of both fighters now are just in Brazil for what reason?
State_Champ
3/23/14 12:37:08PM

Posted by Dberntson

I commend the UFC for at least taking a partial stand against domestic violence, even if it is inconsistent (if he was a big name or star, I doubt he would be getting canned). Look at all the other major professional sports - the NBA,NFL, MLB, NHL and I assume soccer (do not know anything about the sport or players). They are all full of convicted criminals - many of which committed domestic assault, yet they still play and people do not make too much of a stink about it. Just one last comment though, if he already was kicked out of the Air Force and served jail time, hasn't he already paid for his crime and should have a chance to move on? Im not condoning domestic violence, I am just saying that if they already served their time, they should be allowed to make a living.

Honestly, I see what you're getting about Chope already having faced enough consequences from his poor decision making. However, I think this issue is as much about the UFC as it is about Chope himself.
For the UFC, being an organization built on profiting from people hurting one another in sanctioned events, having employees convicted of violent crimes is damaging to the UFC brand. More damaging, I would argue, than violent offenders are to the brands of sports NOT designed around combat violence. For example, in the minds of the laymen/women, there is a connection between MMA and violence in general. Not so much with basketball. Even the NFL doesn't draw the "disturbing" parallels to real-world violence in the collective mind of the public the way that MMA can and too often does.
BillsNewAccount
3/23/14 12:38:18PM
I bet if Thiago Silva didn't go loon Chope would still be fighting tonight.
RhythmAndStyle
3/23/14 1:24:31PM
that was 5 freaking yrs ago..him and his ex-wife are gonna release a state on this..i think it's a shame..they aint together anymore and they have solved this on their own terms like real adults do..u shouldnt have to be cut from a mistake made yrs ago..i underSTAND if it was still happening right now..but again it was a mistake..him and his ex-wife will address this on wednesday from what i read..i hope they do something bout the active fighter who still act like loose cannons..ahem ahem Brandao ahem..i hope once the air is clear, the UFC brings him back..
snakeplissken
3/23/14 4:05:23PM
What ever happened to Benny Brinsa after the UFC got rid I wonder?
Kpro
3/24/14 12:21:39AM
Trujillo has 3 DV charges if I'm not mistaken.
One_Hit_Quit
3/24/14 2:18:15AM
UFC needs to look into these guys better.

I'm sure Bellator has a spot for him.
YeahYeahYeah
3/24/14 8:13:38AM
Gustafsson and Manuwa, who both headlined recently are former convicts, robbery and I think in Gus' case assault as well? (May have it confused). I believe that the problem was that Chope didn't disclose this information, and let the UFC use his military background to promote him, without knowing the circumstances around his release. Would have thought the UFC would do a bit more research to be fair, this ain't McDonalds.
Personally I believe in second chances to show the good that Martial Arts does in rehabilitating people and getting them on track.