What is you favourite shocker in an mma fight?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » What is you favourite shocker in an mma fight?
Taylor8766
11/15/10 2:01:17PM
I'm not talking about upsets, but fights that you were absolutely in awe about, things like unexpected KO's, SUB's or decisions. Some of mine are:

Serra over GSP (Still cant believe that happened)
Gonzaga over CroCop (Kick heard round the world)
Bisping over Hamill (Absolutely B.S decision)
Forrest over Bonnar 1 (Put MMA on the map)
GSP over BJ 1 and 2 (Both epic fights)
Anything that Couture Does
BJ over Hughes (Wasnt supposed to happen)
Silva over Franklin (Couldnt belive how easy Silva beat him twice)
Lesnar over Carwin (Crazy way that fight ended)
Mir over Lesnar (Absolutely loved it)

gartface
11/15/10 2:10:03PM
Scott Smith vs. Pete Sell
Terry Martin vs. Chris Leben

And this probably should be moved to the Lounge, no?
Chael_Sonnen
11/15/10 2:24:58PM
To name a few......

Serra over GSP
Forrest getting the decision over Rampage
Hughes-Penn I
SpiderSilva
11/15/10 4:41:20PM
franklin > Liddell
gonzaga > cro cop
biggest shockingly shocker of ALL TIME Werdum > Fedor
gartface
11/15/10 4:51:30PM
You did say favorite shocker, but a shocker nonetheless from the other spectrum would have to be Kimbo vs. Houston Alexander, at least for me anyway. I was expecting a balls to the wall slugfest, and got nowhere near that.
postman
11/15/10 5:11:50PM
Didn't someone just try to give there opponet the shocker on one of the last two Zuffa events? Sadly for him nevermind
Gladiator
11/15/10 6:50:51PM
Couture toppling tim sylvia
tito's last ditch triangle on machida (even tho it failed)
chael's beat down on anderson, followed by the successful last ditch triangle
Shogun blasting machida into unconsciousness
Couture vs Nog war, mainly cuz i thought it would be a much slower,technical chess match
TheGodfather1024
11/15/10 7:00:42PM
NUMBER ONE ALL TIME for me would have to be when Rashad completely knocked Liddell out....i mean who saw that coming? SECOND when Silva got that sub over Sonnen with two mins to go.
ncordless
11/15/10 8:12:49PM
Serra over GSP was probably the most shocking fight in MMA history still, with Werdum subbing Fedor 2nd.

One that hasn't been brought up yet which I can remember being really shocking was when Pete Williams KOed Marc Coleman with a head kick. At that point in MMA, head kicks were not a very common finish, and at the time Coleman was thought to be among the best while Williams was one step above a nobody.

To compare it to something from today, it would be like Kyle Bradley finishing Jon Fitch by flying spin kick.
mrsmiley
11/15/10 8:14:07PM

Posted by TheGodfather1024

NUMBER ONE ALL TIME for me would have to be when Rashad completely knocked Liddell out....i mean who saw that coming? SECOND when Silva got that sub over Sonnen with two mins to go.

Check my picks. UFC 88 Rashad Evans via round 2 KO....

For me their are a few that stand out.
Gonzaga over Crocop.
Igor Zinoviev over Mario Sperry
Randleman over Crocop
Serra over GSP
Coleman over Shogun. Going in everyone thought the weight change would be too much for Shogun but man oh man that fight was just bizarre.
Elvis over Sakuraba (fight 1)

Ncordless hit the nail on the head when he mentioned Williams over Coleman. Total shocker.

though he still lost the fight, Kimo shocked the world when he proved Royce was human.
Fujita over Mark Kerr
bojangalz
11/15/10 10:45:08PM

Posted by mrsmiley

though he still lost the fight, Kimo shocked the world when he proved Royce was human.

Sure, if by "world" you mean the hundreds in attendance and the dozens watching live on PPV.

lol.

I think the #1 Shocker has to be Napau high kick on CroCop. Followed by Serra KOing GSP.

Sure things like Rashad/Chuck, and Werdum/Fedor were incredible to see. But both were at least reasonable expectations when considering how the fight could play out. We knew that Rashad had fast hands and we knew that Werdum is one of the best BBJ players in HW MMA.

I don't think there was a single MMA fan on earth who didn't go "HOLY $HIT!!!" When they saw CroCop get floored like that by a taste of his own medicine. Gotta be #1 on my list.
AchillesHeel
11/16/10 9:01:49AM

Posted by Taylor8766

I'm not talking about upsets, but fights that you were absolutely in awe about[...]

Just a few off the top of my head, in no particular order...

- Georges St. Pierre vs Frank Trigg
- Forrest Griffin vs Shogun Rua
- Anderson Silva vs Chris Leben
- Anderson Silva vs Forrest Griffin
- George Sotiropoulous vs Joe Stevenson
- Nick Diaz vs Takanori Gomi
- Fedor Emelianenko vs Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
- Fedor Emelianenko vs Kevin Randleman

Chael_Sonnen
11/16/10 11:32:26AM

Huge shocker....couldn't believe my eyes when it happened.
Pookie
11/16/10 10:47:15PM
Anderson getting the triangle on Sonnen was a surreal experience to watch.
king_katool
11/17/10 12:01:45AM

Posted by mrsmiley

Check my picks. UFC 88 Rashad Evans via round 2 KO....

For me their are a few that stand out.
Gonzaga over Crocop.
Igor Zinoviev over Mario Sperry
Randleman over Crocop
Serra over GSP
Coleman over Shogun. Going in everyone thought the weight change would be too much for Shogun but man oh man that fight was just bizarre.
Elvis over Sakuraba (fight 1)

Ncordless hit the nail on the head when he mentioned Williams over Coleman. Total shocker.

Fujita over Mark Kerr

I also picked rashad rd 2 ko, and its by far my favorite
randompunter
11/18/10 8:48:42PM
Yves Edwards Ko of Josh Thomson is the most amazing thing i have seen in a mma fight.
Kpro
11/19/10 12:11:07AM

Posted by ncordless

when Pete Williams KOed Marc Coleman with a head kick. At that point in MMA, head kicks were not a very common finish, and at the time Coleman was thought to be among the best while Williams was one step above a nobody.

To compare it to something from today, it would be like Kyle Bradley finishing Jon Fitch by flying spin kick.

Funny you should mention that. This is copied from my online sports betting account:

<<<<wager placed 09/06/2010 at 12:46am

Kyle Bradley to defeat Jon Fitch via Flying Spin Kick (+3200)

$100 wager placed to win $3200

wager only successful if end result is officially listed as Flying Spin Kick by Athletic Commission overseeing event.

Any other finish listed will result in a lost wager.

wager voids if Bradley/Fitch fight does not happen before 12/31/2012>>>>

DutchRebelP
12/3/10 12:50:39PM
Fedor - Werdum
mmamatt81
12/3/10 6:11:33PM
Gray Maynard vs Rob Emerson at the TUF 5 finale comes to mind
chickmagnet
12/7/10 7:26:11PM

Posted by Taylor8766

BJ over Hughes (Wasnt supposed to happen)

It was supposed to happen in all three fights. It just didnt happen in the 2nd because BJs rib popped out of place.
hammerhead1
12/7/10 7:34:58PM
BJ Penn knocking out Matt Hughes in 21 seconds!

I wanted Penn to win but never knew it was gonna be that fast
ncordless
12/7/10 7:46:10PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by ncordless

when Pete Williams KOed Marc Coleman with a head kick. At that point in MMA, head kicks were not a very common finish, and at the time Coleman was thought to be among the best while Williams was one step above a nobody.

Funny you should mention that. This is copied from my online sports betting account:

<<<<wager placed 09/06/2010 at 12:46am

Kyle Bradley to defeat Jon Fitch via Flying Spin Kick (+3200)

$100 wager placed to win $3200

wager only successful if end result is officially listed as Flying Spin Kick by Athletic Commission overseeing event.

Any other finish listed will result in a lost wager.

wager voids if Bradley/Fitch fight does not happen before 12/31/2012>>>>

Only 32/1 over two and a half years?

You should increase the wager, then book a card in Wash. with those two fighting each other, get AC approval, and then stipulate the rules as flying spin kicks being the only legal strikes.
Then you might be getting good odds.
warglory
12/8/10 10:43:01PM

Seriously, clearly the winner is GSP vs Serra!
mrsmiley
12/9/10 3:54:04PM

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by mrsmiley

Sure, if by "world" you mean the hundreds in attendance and the dozens watching live on PPV.

lol.

I think the #1 Shocker has to be Napau high kick on CroCop. Followed by Serra KOing GSP.

Sure things like Rashad/Chuck, and Werdum/Fedor were incredible to see. But both were at least reasonable expectations when considering how the fight could play out. We knew that Rashad had fast hands and we knew that Werdum is one of the best BBJ players in HW MMA.

I don't think there was a single MMA fan on earth who didn't go "HOLY $HIT!!!" When they saw CroCop get floored like that by a taste of his own medicine. Gotta be #1 on my list.

Well MMA was a small world back then.
State_Champ
12/9/10 9:13:48PM

Posted by gartface

Scott Smith vs. Pete Sell
Terry Martin vs. Chris Leben

Yes!

Also... Randy Couture vs Tim Sylvia
pv3Hpv3p
12/12/10 10:52:24PM
Lots of good one's in here...

Rashad / Liddell first popped in my head