Favourite Record Label

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Favourite Record Label
Boo_Radley21
1/9/08 9:57:15AM
Just wondering what record label everyone likes the best and thinks has the best band.

For me it's Fat Wreck Chords, Fat Mike's label. It's got so many good bands like NOFX, Lagwagon, Mad Caddies, Strung Out, Against Me, Propagandhi, The Lawrence Arms. All really good bands. What does everyone else think?
Evilwig
1/9/08 10:03:06AM
emfleek
1/9/08 10:25:07AM
I don't really have a particular favorite, but here lately I've been diggin' on Alive NaturalSound Records.

You can find them HERE: ALIVE NATURALSOUND RECORDS

One of the local bands here in FW recently signed on with Alive. You can check them out HERE: LEFT LANE CRUISER

LLC's new disc, "Bring Yo' Ass to the Table" drops today, too...buy one.
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/9/08 10:36:08AM
Elektra
Epitaph
AchillesHeel
1/9/08 10:36:45AM
Hmm, not sure what my favorite label is these days.

Back in the '80s I was really into 4AD (Bauhaus, Throwing Muses, The Pixies, Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, This Mortal Coil, Lisa Gerrard), Wax Trax (Front 242, Ministry, Coil, Pailhead, Sister Machine Gun, My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult, Underworld), and SST (Husker Du, Big Black, Bad Brains, Sonic Youth, The Descendents). I still listen to all that stuff today. There was also Alternative Tentacles (Dead Kennedys, Butthole Surfers, 7 Seconds), Dischord (Fugazi, Minor Threat, Government Issue), Touch and Go (Big Black, The Jesus Lizard, The Rollins Band), Factory Records (Joy Division, New Order, Cabaret Voltaire) and Def Jam (Beastie Boys, Public Enemy).

In the '90s, there was Kill Rock Stars (Elliott Smith, Sleater-Kinney, Bikini Kill, The Melvins, Nirvana and, more recently, The Gossip).

Today, I don't really know labels from one another.
cowcatcher
1/9/08 10:44:11AM
took the words out of my mouth with 4AD AH, i dont know who is on what label anymore because everytime a band gets any kind of success they seem to start their own label nowadays.
Rich78
1/9/08 10:52:46AM
Not really up to speed with current labels, but I've got to go retro with ATLANTIC RECORDS, due mainly to the mighty Zep, but also Cream, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Yes and theRolling Stones make a decent supporting cast.
TimW001
1/9/08 12:23:00PM
Battle Axe Records
iwannabesedated
1/9/08 12:45:47PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Just wondering what record label everyone likes the best and thinks has the best band.

For me it's Fat Wreck Chords, Fat Mike's label. It's got so many good bands like NOFX, Lagwagon, Mad Caddies, Strung Out, Against Me, Propagandhi, The Lawrence Arms. All really good bands. What does everyone else think?

Against Me! is on a Major now but they still make good music.

NOFX is up there in my favorite bands i been listening to them forevere my older brother was into them and alot of punk rock..

Epitaph,Fat and Skunk would be my favorites.

Fat Mike also owns Honest Dons,and Pink and Black
Aaronno9
1/9/08 1:34:37PM
Definatly fat wreck
billycarnage
1/9/08 2:14:34PM
DISCHORD (ian mckaye)

Epitaph
Hellcat( Tim and Lars)
Fatwreckchords
Victory
Vagrant
Hopeless

I could be here all day
zephead
1/9/08 4:08:52PM
Atlantic Records

Led Zeppelin
Rush
Genesis
Ray Charles
The Drifters
Aretha Franklin
Otis Redding
Wilson Pickett
Percy Sledge
Eric Clapton
Cream
Yes
Blind Faith
Buck Cherry
Kid Rock
Notorious BIG
Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Trick Daddy
Shinedown
Boyz N Da Hood
Diddy
Gnarls Barkley

The list goes on and on. Ahmet Ertegun President and Founder of Atlantic Records co-founds the Rock-n-Roll Hall-of-Fame. He was also honored as a "Living Legend" by the United States Library of Congress. Atlantic was it. I would be here all night long trying to put all the bands and artists that have and are signed with them.

They were there from the beggining. Signing acts in every musical genre. Plus, they signed the one band that really matters, Led Zeppelin and that's all I got to say about that.
AchillesHeel
1/9/08 4:20:45PM

Posted by zephead

Atlantic Records

In the same "so obvious, you forget about it" vein, there's Motown Records. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Martha & the Vandellas, Mary Wells, The Supremes (and Diana Ross), The Temptations, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Marvin Gaye, The Jackson 5 (and Michael and Jermaine), Stevie Wonder, The Spinners, The Four Tops, The Isley Brothers, Edwin Starr, The Commodores, Thelma Houston, and more. Something like 50 or 60 #1 singles (God only knows how many hit the "Billboard Hot 100"). "Favorite" is obviously a subjective thing, but in terms of "greatest" or most successful, Motown clearly kicks the crap out of all the labels I named earlier.
Boo_Radley21
1/9/08 10:58:38PM

Posted by billycarnage

DISCHORD (ian mckaye)

Epitaph
Hellcat( Tim and Lars)
Fatwreckchords
Victory
Vagrant
Hopeless

I could be here all day

Shit I forgot about Vagrant and Hellcat.

Another one I like that I seem to have forgotten is Jimmy Frank's Recording Company. Gotta love Jimmy Pop.
ButterBalls
1/10/08 12:56:30AM
Once upon a time the answer would have been Hopeless / Subcity easily, just because I was a big Digger and Thrice fan. Fat Wreck Chords would have been a close second Hopeless probably, with Epitaph coming up in the rear simply because for some reason Mr. Brett felt it was alright to charge $20 a cd when everyone else was charging $10.

Anymore I couldn't tell you.