What is your favorite throw/takedown?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » What is your favorite throw/takedown?
Next Page »
Believe-in-judo81
7/10/07 5:56:02PM
I'm really partial to judo throws, my favorites there are O soto Gari (outside leg reap) and O goshi (hip throw). But my absolute favorite is this one, the Single-leg pickup into Kouchi Gari (inner leg reap), I'll try to get pictures/Video up somewhere, for the folks who need a visual aid.

Setup:1. I start in a body lock, chest to chest with both of my underhooks.

2. From here I step back, letting the underhooks go and in the same motion dropping levels to his waist.

3.I bring my hands together behind the knee of his outside/lead leg(I use a gable grip) and pick it up bringing it tight into my body.

The fun part:4. I drive my weight forward over the outside of the trapped leg, and rip their weight to the side, breaking their balance.

5. As soon as I've broken their balance, I come of my back leg, bringing it forward and then driving my foot into the back of their knee.

6. To finish I keep driving my weight forward, bringing them to the ground, and come around the outside of the trapped leg into side control.

That's my favorite TD, feel free to use it, and please, share your own!

fedorwins1
7/10/07 6:17:25PM
I'm really good at trip takedowns, I somehow find a way to get my leg around theirs and get them off balance. I suck at doubles and singles though.
Mastodon2
7/10/07 6:47:16PM
I love Haraigoshi and Taiotoshi, both big hop throws, Haraigoshi using a rising leg to rotate the opponents body, Taiotoshi using a leg posted to the ground to roll the opponent over.

Morotaysayonagi (sp? say it out loud, any Judo guys will know this one) is an amazing throw, once you twist into it, there is almost no evasion or counter, your opponents Gi is so wrapped up in your arms that they arent getting out. Impossible without a Gi though, has no application in MMA.
Believe-in-judo81
7/10/07 7:04:59PM
Morote Seoinage maybe? If so I love that throw too, was my last gasp throw in judo if I couldn't get anything esle to work and they let me set them up for it. But I'm a lot Like Fedorwins, Trip take downs and leg throws are a big part of my arsenal.
Mastodon2
7/10/07 7:07:16PM
thats the one!

I was never that awesome at the throws, but I was ace at ground work, I could snap on a cheeky choke from just about anywhere!
GnP4life
7/10/07 7:41:46PM
MY favorite takedown--high crotch and single to either a sweep or sit

Throw--headlock throw
akumairon
7/10/07 9:39:54PM
under the rainbow and i guess duck under hip throw (forget the judo name)
richieb19
7/11/07 2:30:53AM
Heres a little recourse for you guys:

http://www.judoinfo.com/animate.htm

posterboy
7/11/07 10:37:05AM
My favorite throw these days is ure nage -- if you and your opponent are clinched up, you grab your opponent around the waist with your left arm and put your right hand at his midsection; you then rotate your whole body in a twisting reverse motion so your opponent goes over your left shoulder as you both go the ground. It's a very, very hard fall to take.

I also like drop ippon seoinage (one arm shoulder throw, executed from a kneeling position), tani otoshi (a rear double-leg reap), co uchi gari (inside foot sweep), uchi mata (inner thigh hip throw) and my new favorite, yama arashi (like harai goshi, but the right hand switches during the throw from a right lapel grip to a cross grip on the left -- you basicaly punch through the throw, creating tremendous power).

For no-gi fighting, I like uchi mata, koshi garuma (a hip throw with a grip around the back of the neck), and several of the throws listed above. I find that yama arashi, morote seoi nage and certain other throws won't work in MMA because the gi grip is so essential to proper execution of the throw (i.e, it would be very, very difficult to execute a throw like sode tsuri komi goshi without a gi because of the need to retain a grip on both wrists while twisting).
Mastodon2
7/11/07 1:10:00PM

Posted by posterboy
I find that yama arashi, morote seoi nage and certain other throws won't work in MMA because the gi grip is so essential to proper execution of the throw (i.e, it would be very, very difficult to execute a throw like sode tsuri komi goshi without a gi because of the need to retain a grip on both wrists while twisting).

As I noted above. Morote Seoi Nage is impossbile without a Gi, it relies on the twisting of the Gi over the elbows to create a super strong grip. Ippon seoi nage is a bit more applicable in a No-Gi situation, Ive seen that one used a few times, to varying levels of success.
spartanballin
7/11/07 1:20:14PM
rampage jackson has good throw downs
bayonetxwork
7/11/07 1:46:38PM
head-arm hip toss

I pretty much love hip throws, as well as arm throws.
akumairon
7/11/07 1:52:30PM
lol even after you posted that site they still didn't have that one hip toss which i use , but i did manage to find the name of the under the rain bow one, Tomoe Nage, and the other one i like to use every now and again is Yama Arashi
posterboy
7/11/07 2:18:48PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by posterboy
I find that yama arashi, morote seoi nage and certain other throws won't work in MMA because the gi grip is so essential to proper execution of the throw (i.e, it would be very, very difficult to execute a throw like sode tsuri komi goshi without a gi because of the need to retain a grip on both wrists while twisting).

As I noted above. Morote Seoi Nage is impossbile without a Gi, it relies on the twisting of the Gi over the elbows to create a super strong grip. Ippon seoi nage is a bit more applicable in a No-Gi situation, Ive seen that one used a few times, to varying levels of success.

I wasn't arguing with you or correcting you. Just contributing to the discussion.

BTW, another good no-gi throw is sode makikomi (basically an arm drag).
ko-kbo130
7/11/07 2:30:38PM
favorite takedown: outside single to trip
favorite throw: duck/slip a jab to side sup
Mastodon2
7/11/07 3:51:13PM

Posted by posterboy

I wasn't arguing with you or correcting you. Just contributing to the discussion.

BTW, another good no-gi throw is sode makikomi (basically an arm drag).

I wasnt arguing either, Judo brothers unite!

Im quite liking the Jigoro Kano avatar too!
posterboy
7/11/07 3:56:51PM
Cool.

I wasn't sure what to pick as an avatar, but this just seemed to be a good fit. Glad to see a judo community here.

roadking95th
7/12/07 12:57:30AM
I've never taken Judo, though I would love to. When I wrestled in High School, one of my favorite takedowns was a little throw I sort of picked-up. Here, I find out 15 years later, it's a uchi mata. I discovered the name when watching Karo on youtube.

Anybody know a Judo School in South Central PA? Can you do Judo without the Gi or would it basically be similar Folkstyle/Greco-Roman/Freestyle that way, well at least the throws anyway?
Mastodon2
7/12/07 9:53:06AM
For proper Judo, you really need to have a Judo Gi, which are made out of really thick fibres that wont tear easily like a karate or Tae Kwon do style gi.

If you want to train proper Judo its pretty much essential to have a Gi, the fundamental grip uses the Gi, and manipulating the Gi is integral to many throws, chokes and other forms of standing and ground manipulation.
tommyprairie
7/16/07 6:09:50AM
Takedown: Double to a lift
Throw: Lock and Key (counter to high single)
jdubs
7/16/07 4:19:23PM
kick to the balls.. imo is the easiest takedown
SSfighter51
7/16/07 4:55:53PM
just a plain, really sharp, crisp blast double!...to a big slam of course.
SteedTheDeed
7/19/07 1:56:09PM
sesai
jomatty
7/20/07 6:07:54AM
i just started judo and id just like to say that this is very interesting reading and i hope there are more threads like this.
posterboy
7/24/07 12:53:06PM

Posted by SteedTheDeed

sesai

Funny you mention this. Just last week I was showing this throw to a friend of mine who is training in MMA after many years of jiu jitsu. Sesai is a perfect no-go throw and surprises the hell out of your opponent.
jgtribbett
7/25/07 10:00:14AM
lateral drop ... (its a greco guy thing hahahahahhahahha)
Ultimate_fighter
7/27/07 6:42:03AM
Double Leg Takedown... or just the powerbomb thats great too,,,
Stickan
7/28/07 7:17:26AM
I'm useless at trips and getting people off balance standing overall so I often use the basic double leg. In grappling I often set it up with arm drag attempts. The key for me has always been the timing and the set-ups.
Believe-in-judo81
11/1/07 6:09:59AM
Heh, this thread got much bigger than I expected it to, and it's nice to see the Judoka coming out of the woodwork and posting more and more all over the boards. On another note you guys have inspired me to go back over the fundamentals and variations on hip throws, because I'm sure my technique isn't at all what it used to be, and I've fallen out of the habit of going for anything out side of O Goshi or Harai Goshi.

Also, is any one else here a fan of low outside singles or ankle picks? I know they can be risky takedowns in MMA contests but they seem to be really high percentage if you set them up right. Not to mention I know a nasty entry into a kneebar using an ankle pick from the collar and elbow tie-up.
Stickan
11/1/07 12:39:36PM
Another thing I think about when going for takedowns is that I wanna spend as little energy as possible to get to a good position (side) so for me a well-timed double leg without any kind of slam, with just the drive through is my favourite. As I mentioned earlier I'm not too keen on clinch wrestling and playing with judo guys so I rather set-up my shots with a few strikes and just drive through them ending up in side-mount.
Pages: [1] 2