Favorite submission holds

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Favorite submission holds
Next Page »
Wolfenstein
7/31/08 8:15:11PM
So what's your favorite submission holds?

I tend to favor holds that I'm good at and most of my experience is in Judo so I typically use holds I've used in Judo. Of course I'm always working on getting better at others.

The kimura - It's my go-to move. I've got a good grip so It's pretty effective for me. I usually use it from side control and step over the face. I also like to use a straight armbar from here and step over the face.

Arm Triangle - I use this a lot. It's a little more difficult against a guy in a gi but still oner of my favorites.

I'd like to work on getting the twister, omaplata, and gogoplata down.
HMA123
7/31/08 8:25:26PM
Triangles (both from mount and guard)
And i been managing to pull off alot of Gogoplatas lately.

But a nice deep triangle or invisible collar is always nice also.
ohiostate1016
7/31/08 8:35:04PM
Triangle...

How could you not love that? Plus, I just learned how to do it. I think I'm gonna teach my girlfriend...
juanez13
7/31/08 8:43:37PM
Mine is the Anaconda Choke, I've got a decent sprawl, and when people shoot in on me and I sprawl well, i always use my left to grab an underhook, Than I just strech out all the way and transition into the choke and gator roll, This is one of the subs i've pulled off quite, and I do very well.

Also the arm triangle from half guard, I stay close to the person as if I was trying to control them, than put on the choke, and from there seems much easier to move in to side mount ( streched out, get your free leg to push you're other leg out)
Khaos
7/31/08 8:43:51PM
I've been working Rubber Guard a lot, so it's Omaplata's and Armbar's for me.

My favorite to use though is the Triangle Choke including the Arm Triangle Choke, and Apollo(Arm Triangle/Sweep From Half Guard).
Wolfenstein
7/31/08 8:45:55PM
I like to go for the anaconda choke to, but I would say nearly half the time my grip loosens in the gator roll.
postman
7/31/08 10:57:29PM
I use the same Arm bar Palharies used in his last fight almost everytime I get a guys back. They just don't expect you to give up that position.
bell9440
7/31/08 11:22:08PM
mine is the arm bar from guard.I do this almost every roll.I don't always get it.but I will try it at least once.
bell9440
7/31/08 11:30:23PM
hey ohiostate1016 what type of knee pads are those in the pics?do they work well/restrict your movement any?
Jackelope
8/1/08 8:07:53AM
Toe hold... dunno why but I think it's one of the most awesome submissions out there.

The Anaconda choke gets honorable mention, too. Seeing Babalu apply it on david heath in a blood bath was one of the greatest things I've ever seen. Even though Babalu held it too long
ohiostate1016
8/1/08 8:20:35AM

Posted by bell9440

hey ohiostate1016 what type of knee pads are those in the pics?do they work well/restrict your movement any?

I wouldn't know...that's not me. But they look like they are pretty flexible.
mikevolz
8/1/08 12:35:17PM
the americana. It was the first submission i learned and man have i taken to it.
RMFG_187
8/1/08 9:30:59PM
1. has to be knee bar. seeing the knee hyper extend the opposite way still sends shivers down my spine.

Best Knee Bar - Bas vs Shamrock

2. Gogoplata, Omaplata is good, but Gogo is just orgasmic.

Best Gogoplata - Diaz vs Gomi
jiujitsufreak74
8/1/08 9:53:33PM

Posted by RMFG_187

1. has to be knee bar. seeing the knee hyper extend the opposite way still sends shivers down my spine.

excuse me sir...you are mistaken. Aoki's mounted Gogoplata is the best Gogoplata ever achieved. i will forgive you for you must have forgotten
juanez13
8/1/08 10:16:12PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by RMFG_187

excuse me sir...you are mistaken. Aoki's mounted Gogoplata is the best Gogoplata ever achieved. i will forgive you for you must have forgotten

I still rank Gomi vs Diaz, because Gomi is one of the top dogs, while Aoki did it to a can that was fed to him. The quality of opponent IMO makes it more relevant.
p_unit23
8/1/08 10:18:26PM
Triangle choke
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
jiujitsufreak74
8/1/08 10:19:56PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by RMFG_187

I still rank Gomi vs Diaz, because Gomi is one of the top dogs, while Aoki did it to a can that was fed to him. The quality of opponent IMO makes it more relevant.

idc, Gomi vs Diaz's gogo really wasn't anything special in terms of how it was executed while Aoki was the only person in MMA to ever hit a mounted Gogoplata. that takes the cake, only one of it's kind and he did it against an Olympic silver medalist
RMFG_187
8/1/08 10:44:18PM

Posted by RMFG_187

I LOVED Aoki's GOGO. I still think it will be #1 Sub of the year hands down. But, To see Nick get takendown, and Immidietly transition to Gogo was crazy! No one thought it was possible.

as For Aoki, it was Great, but it was against Nagata ( - some points), and the transition wasn't near as quick as Diaz's, but the Effectivness and looks of Aokis were better.

I give Diaz 10/10 , Aoki 9/10, if it was against Gomi like Diaz, or if it was quick and slick, 11/10

Plus Aoki is a monkey, he could find a way to do RNC from the opponents guard.
bigbubbano23
8/2/08 12:27:10AM
a kimura is usually the first sub i go for then work to whatever is open. or this move i think i created but the gracies prolly already have it.
Jaxon
8/2/08 10:11:13AM
I am only a white belt in BJJ, Triangles are really satisfying but something about a Lapel Half Nelson choke is a very rewarding feeling...

Setting it up is half the fun, though.. normally get it by giving up an arm when on full mount, let them bridge and roll, of course my foot isnt trapped properly and ready to move, slide up, take the side mount, feed the lapel through, underhook the arm, and go for the choke ... you guys would undoubtedly know the drill :P

<3 Lapel half nelson, closely followed by Triangle (particularly from armbar attempts if they are real strong and grab their own wrist to stop it) ...

Of course I am only a newbie to this, but the more I learn the more fun it becomes and the more I want to know!

Great thread btw!
The-Don
8/2/08 1:20:47PM
Me I'd have to say RNC (Rear naked choke) is one of my favs.. I also like arm bars... not any particular one just armbars.. I can get them from different positions.. but my favorite armbar is just the basic one.. nailing it from a mount its just a thing of beauty...
artofdefense
8/2/08 2:55:35PM
I'll put my top 5:

5.Figure -Four leg choke (The proper term for a triangle, lol)

4.Wristlock from the figure-four back arm lock (kimura) (If the guy is fighting the "kimura", just pin the top of their wrist and hand to the mat at a perpindicular angle)

3.Pillow Choke (Best from side control)

2. Figure-Four leg keylock from Silat sit out

1. Modified mounted guillotine (rather than wrap the choking arm around his head and squeezing, you put one fore arm in their adams apple, reach under the head with the other arm, grab the choking arm's bicep, squeeze.)

My grappling background is different from most guys, so I thought I'd mix up the terminology. (Silat, Catch, Phillipino Grappling, Walt Bayless Combat Ju-Jitsu)
Jason-plata
8/2/08 3:01:00PM
1) Anaconda choke
2) triangle choke
3) Key lock
The_Notorious_ZIG
8/6/08 2:02:21PM
Any that ends the fight !!

I'm not sure I have a favorite. There is certainly something very dominating about a RNC. Though my most satisfying subs are ones that I setup and transition from one to another.
Kimura from bottom to hip bump sweep to arm bar from mount to key lock is one that I have hit more than once.
fedorwins1
8/6/08 2:19:25PM
Triangle choke, I seem to get them from every position. My favorite way to get them is from an armbar that is defended well and then just go right into the triangle.
guitr_freek
8/6/08 2:49:01PM
I'm going to have to say Kimura, because whenever I get a hold onto it, I just seem to get it done (unless I'm trying it on my instructor ).
The-Don
8/6/08 2:51:51PM
Am I the only one that enjoys the RNC???? Lots of great moves... but I mean the RNC leaves your opponent so helpless feeling in my opinion.. its means they just did everything wrong to get stuck in it.. at least thats how I see it.. cause when I get caught I feel just well outclassed.. even if I know I am not.. just that I was not prepared for that match.
gsquat
8/8/08 12:07:28PM
I'll have to say the arm triangle. It was the first submission I used (got is from half guard). I like to go for gogo's but not as often successful. I also find myself going for neck cranks like crazy. I just grab hold of the head and twist & squeez like a maniac.
Pitbull09
8/8/08 12:41:01PM
When on top, I perfer side control rather than full mount so I typically use kimuras or key locks and if I cant get it in the opponent usually leans to protect it so I can either go for an armbar or get his back.

I like the idea of a triangle to but I really dont do well with it in fights. I think my legs are to short so if I am trying to finish the guy, I do a substitute move. I think its called the tee pee You lock your hands behind your legs (if you cant get your foot to lock under your knee) and squeeze your legs.

A move that I like but I doubt will work in competition is this move I saw Jake Sheilds show in a technique video. When in side control, you get your back on the opponent, place your one arm around their head and arm. After that you reach over with the other arm and pull his leg up. It puts a lot of pressure on the guys chest so they cant breath and if I get really frustrated in side control, I go for that.

I like kneebars too
gsquat
8/8/08 3:11:04PM

Posted by Pitbull09

When on top, I perfer side control rather than full mount so I typically use kimuras or key locks and if I cant get it in the opponent usually leans to protect it so I can either go for an armbar or get his back.

I like the idea of a triangle to but I really dont do well with it in fights. I think my legs are to short so if I am trying to finish the guy, I do a substitute move. I think its called the tee pee You lock your hands behind your legs (if you cant get your foot to lock under your knee) and squeeze your legs.

A move that I like but I doubt will work in competition is this move I saw Jake Sheilds show in a technique video. When in side control, you get your back on the opponent, place your one arm around their head and arm. After that you reach over with the other arm and pull his leg up. It puts a lot of pressure on the guys chest so they cant breath and if I get really frustrated in side control, I go for that.

I like kneebars too

Ha. Did you see the clip of a guy that used that in a grappling match and made the other dude puke. It went right on the bottom guy's head. That technique is easy to escape if you know how.
Pages: [1] 2