Favorite Submission

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Favorite Submission
« Previous Page
Svartorm
10/9/08 3:32:04PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Posted by Svartorm

I'd like to see your technique if you say it works every time. Its entirely too easy to roll the guy out of mount even trying it. If you can hold the triangle, its not so bad, but I'd rather not give up top position for a move like that, especially considering you've already killed an arm if you're getting that topside triangle anyways. Better just going for an arm triangle or americana in most cases, I think.

well most of the guys i roll with and try to sub are bigger than me, so the americana doesnt work, cuz their arms are way stronger than mine. so i usually slip my foot under their head and try for the triangle from the top but if they roll me then my leg is still up there for my to go for the triangle from the bottom.

Edit: works every time may be a little over reacting, but it works most of the time lol

You can still get an Americana on a bigger guy if you set it up correctly. If the guy is locking down the arm, putting both hands on the tricep and pushing the arm straight towards the mat will flatten the arm out, and then the strength won't be there to fight it because the larger muscle groups have been taken out of the equation. I run a very conservative top game and that why I like Americanas and Kimuras, as you don't lose position going for them like you do topside triangles and straight armbars.
jiujitsufreak74
10/9/08 5:16:04PM

Posted by Omega

Posted by The-Don

why is there almost no love for the RNC?

Everybody wants to flashy ones that everybody doesn't know or can perform.

well for me the RNC isn't anything special. unless you use it like Marcelo Garcia it doesn't do much for me. i use it a lot, but it just isn't my favorite.
Wolfenstein
10/9/08 6:44:49PM
I'm not a huge fan of the RNC myself. I guess I do tend to like to finish with something a little more flashy. Sometimes a RNC can be really difficult to pull off because everyone knows how to defend it. With a gi on I go for the RNC even more rarely. I probably use the Okuri eri jime or some other form of lapel choke. If I'm going for the RNC usually I'm starting back control with an arm already trapped with one of my legs which is how I like to start back control.

Recently I guess I'm going for the anaconda and the peruvian necktie a lot. They're just as easy to get once you've gone through the motions a few hundred times.

Svartorm
10/9/08 10:45:14PM
In sub grappling, I like the RNC, but its a bit of a pain in NHB/MMA to get with the gloves, so I understand that. If you've got their back with an arm trapped though, you'd be a fool not to try it though. I love any kind of arm entanglement chokes because I can apply so much pressure with them, and kill the arm at the same time, so I love the anaconda as well.
The-Don
10/12/08 10:31:37AM
well I finally learned how to do a Darce and I have to say I am a fan of it now... I also learned a trick where if someone tucks thier chin when going for a RNC how to still apply preassure and cause pain... I also learned how to do a RNC style choke more effectively... I had a great jits class thursday night... It was one of those off night where it was just me and the instructor.. the others never showed up. So what would normally be a 1 hour group lesson turned into a 2 hour private lesson.. we went over sweeps, which were never stressed to me in the past. we went over chokes from the bottom & top, it was just awesome... I am becoming a huge fan of BJJ as I learn the differences between it and the tradational japanese style.
Jackelope
10/12/08 11:50:22AM
The d'arce is sick. It has a lot of different set-ups that make it a versatile choke. I wish I could say that I know them all pretty well but I still have some trouble with unconventional d'arce set ups.

It's frustrating that teachers don't teach actual positional grappling first. I've gone on this rant before, but it's one of those things for me. Why teach submissions when the guy doesn't even know what position to get into to land the submission? Why teach submissions when the guy has no idea how to get out of half guard? Glad you learned some good sweeps.

The-Don
10/12/08 12:30:41PM

Posted by Jackelope

The d'arce is sick. It has a lot of different set-ups that make it a versatile choke. I wish I could say that I know them all pretty well but I still have some trouble with unconventional d'arce set ups.

It's frustrating that teachers don't teach actual positional grappling first. I've gone on this rant before, but it's one of those things for me. Why teach submissions when the guy doesn't even know what position to get into to land the submission? Why teach submissions when the guy has no idea how to get out of half guard? Glad you learned some good sweeps.

yea Sweeps are something that were never really shown to me so it was nice getting 2 hours of private instruction.. I was shown alot and got to do the moves dozens of times each.
The_Notorious_ZIG
10/13/08 3:12:18PM

Posted by Jackelope

Well said !! POSTION BEFORE SUBMISSION is what my instructor taught me in my first month of grappling.
greedfrog
10/15/08 10:40:38AM
my favorite is shootin in for the double leg and goin straight to side mount and workin for that americana, thats my bread and butter
masodd
10/15/08 10:43:12AM
mine are the arm bar and kimura. arm bar is the easiest for me. i do i when i'm on my back and i like to go for triangles as well. my favorite to watch is the triangle
jahdoug
11/3/08 2:59:59PM
Justin Garcia's Chimbar! Check out the video
jahdoug
11/3/08 3:02:59PM
Also most compression locks, they are so screwy, i usually have concerns about sacrificing a limbs mobility to do them but they can hurt like hell
shiz-nitzel
11/3/08 4:21:17PM
gogoplata, locoplata, goldenplata and triangles
Pages: 1 [2]